Sign in to follow this  
Toonadri

I honestly think Cloud begin in smash,actually raises Erdrick's/Sl

If you think about it,you can see that this can be another Ryu/Megaman thing.

Why? Well,like ryu and megaman,DQ and FF are both iconic and they are +70m sellers...

DQ is the most known game in japan,it would be weird by nintendo's part to no include slime or erdrick into the game.

and hey,it can help to sell DQVII and DQVIII here,i'm pretty sure that SE is interesed to put slime/erdrick in.

(I think erdrick with the other 7 heroes as alts would be cool).

Do you think we will get a DQ DLC character?

They have been including third party characters with the absolute broadest appeal in both the East and West. FF7 has such a devoted fanbase that of course Cloud gets in over other well known (and better) FF protagonists from earlier games. I honestly don't think Erdrick is that well known in the West, the newer games have more recognizable characters for people who casually follow the series.

Slime is the mascot of the series, I could see that but still isn't likely due to the uphill battle Dragon Quest still has to fight over here. 

Slime would be the better choice because:

1. Mascot

2. It's move set could be based after its skillset in Dragon Quest V and Rocket Slime.

As for if we will get a DQ character...probably not, but it'd be nice.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Id prefer to see Slime as well. Its definitely more well known outside of the DQ world. Erdrick/Roto just appear to be general swordsmen.

If so, highly unlikely, but if so, I hope it's not another swordsman. I'm actually surprised they haven't tried their hand at making a DQ fighting game. Alena as a brawler, Jessica with ranged attacks, etc.

That being said, this screams, "FF VII on the NX."

If so, highly unlikely, but if so, I hope it's not another swordsman. I'm actually surprised they haven't tried their hand at making a DQ fighting game. Alena as a brawler, Jessica with ranged attacks, etc.

That being said, this screams, "FF VII on the NX."

I would love to see a DQ fighter. There's a lot of potential for movesets. If it did happen, I would hope they team up with Aksys to create it.

Actually they could do it in the style of the recent Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden game: players can choose a main character from the series and assist characters could range from monsters, spin off series characters, bosses/main antagonists, and so on. Keep the button layout to 3 or 4 buttons and it could work.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Assuming the NX does get Dragon Quest XI I'd say it's more likely we'd get a Dragon Quest character in the next gen's Smash rather than this one.

I can say, with complete certainty, that there's more chance of Dragon Quest X coming west than a DQ rep being added to Smash.

I can say, with complete certainty, that there's more chance of Dragon Quest X coming west than a DQ rep being added to Smash.

I don't know.  While FF7 did sell more than any other single RPG release until Diablo 2, TES: Oblivion, TES: Skyrim, Fallout 3, potentially Fallout 4 in about a year's time, and Diablo 3, and is still the crown king of JRPG's in terms of overall sales for its first release, in Japan, Erdrick still sold better than Cloud.

FF7 PS1 in Japan is about 3.2~3.4m depending on the source that I can find.  DQ3 NES in Japan is just over 3.8 million (might be closer to 4, but the last official release number was 3.8).

It's also hard to determine popularity up-front.  DQ3 sold over 1m on day 1 (no specifics on just how MUCH over 1 million it sold can I find).  FF7 sold 2.3m by the end of day 3.

So it's definitely possible.

How does the popularity of Cloud compare to Erdrick in Japan?

Edited by ignasia7

Erdrick is really popular in japan,anyway...they can use the other heroes as alts.

They don't need voice acting,they can use a variety of weapons etc...

I Think they're likely,not much but i find them likely,really DQ is the best seller 3rdpary in nintendo.

Erdrick or Rocketslime actually belongs in Smash, unlike Cloud.  Cloud is a PlayStation character and the Final Fantasy brand is not even synonymous with Nintendo anymore.  By including Ryu and Cloud, Nintendo is basically just advertising two PS4 exclusives that are coming out.  They should bring Rocket in since DQ has a long history on their systems.

Erdrick or Rocketslime actually belongs in Smash, unlike Cloud. Cloud is a PlayStation character and the Final Fantasy brand is not even synonymous with Nintendo anymore. By including Ryu and Cloud, Nintendo is basically just advertising two PS4 exclusives that are coming out. They should bring Rocket in since DQ has a long history on their systems.

Someone's not happy Cloud is in Smash...

Erdrick is really popular in japan,anyway...they can use the other heroes as alts.

They don't need voice acting,they can use a variety of weapons etc...

I Think they're likely,not much but i find them likely,really DQ is the best seller 3rdpary in nintendo.

No, Nintendo has other third-parties, especially in the US, that sell much better, sadly.

On the topic, a Slime would be the better choice.

I once considered making a DQ fighting game..........But if I were to follow through with that, I'd want to make it like Dissidia Final Fantasy, and make individual storylines for each character, with voice-acted cutscenes. I even planned out a scene for DQ5 Hero's story where Ladja constantly taunts how powerless he believes himself to be, from not saving his father to having to watch an innocent child be stolen by monsters. But then I remembered that I'm lazy, and I don't know ANYTHING about spriting, so I canned the project.

Erdrick or Rocketslime actually belongs in Smash, unlike Cloud.  Cloud is a PlayStation character and the Final Fantasy brand is not even synonymous with Nintendo anymore.  By including Ryu and Cloud, Nintendo is basically just advertising two PS4 exclusives that are coming out.  They should bring Rocket in since DQ has a long history on their systems.

The more likely thing is it's a quiet way of saying the FF7 remake is only temporarily exclusive to the PS4.  They never said it was 100% exclusive.  Much like a few other games (DQH for instance, was never discussed as being only PS4 forever, but the language used, and I forget what was said, was indicative that it would go to other systems...thus Steam).  There are a lot of teasers indicating the NX is going to see some serious big games in the first year...one step up from a rumour, but Nintendo seems to be playing things coy, while allowing all these interesting slip-ups.  Nevermind that it's a pretty awesome idea...an FF character in smash?  Granted, I'd be more psyched if it were Locke, Terra, Sabin (ok, anyone from FF6), Zidane, or Balthier (every game needs a leading man!), but I don't know, I'm psyched at the idea of Cloud.  They've done a pretty solid job with his animations, and capturing how he would act and look like in an action game.

Though yeah, seeing Erdrick in Smash would make great sense.  I mean, except for mobile, EVERY DQ1, 2, and 3 release has been on a Nintendo system.  Not due to love for Nintendo, but do to other circumstances (Nintendo having higher sales numbers for that particular system).  So essentially a coincidence, but would be awesome to see some THORDAIN Kazap action, and heck, not all the Smash characters speak, some just make sounds.  They don't have to give him/her a voice.  Or heck, put in Ortega.  Or maybe, in light of the DQ7...Ruff ;).  That would make for some funny Smash jokes.

Erdrick or Rocketslime actually belongs in Smash, unlike Cloud. Cloud is a PlayStation character and the Final Fantasy brand is not even synonymous with Nintendo anymore. By including Ryu and Cloud, Nintendo is basically just advertising two PS4 exclusives that are coming out. They should bring Rocket in since DQ has a long history on their systems.

I don't really care tbh.  Its just weird that he's in.  He sticks out so much with everyone else.  They could have chosen a classic FF character.

I don't really care tbh.  Its just weird that he's in.  He sticks out so much with everyone else.  They could have chosen a classic FF character.

Sadly, there really is no "classic" FF character. Cloud sticks out the most in the franchise.

There's a few other characters that have appeared in multiple main FF titles, like Cecil, Tidus, Vann (or the cast of FF12, three games I think?), or even Warrior of Light.

But there's no real... interlocking connectivity to the FF series like DQ has. To be frank, I'm suprised Nintendo didn't announce Erdrick (being the main hero of 1-3, really.), or the Slime, to promote DQ7 and 8, considering they're publishing it.

When I think FF on Nintendo, the Black Mage comes to mind.

Black_Mage_Shibuya.png

NES icon.  He would have been a MUCH better choice than Cloud.  This character has appeared in so many games its not even funny.  If they had to go with a FF rep, it should have been him.

I'm expecting them to release some kind of DQ related mii costumes (Erdrick? The slime costume from DQ9?), not as full characters. Maybe other SQEX characters as Cloud alts (Sora, Chrono, Erdrick, Cecil, etc), but unlikely.

I'm expecting them to release some kind of DQ related mii costumes (Erdrick? The slime costume from DQ9?), not as full characters. Maybe other SQEX characters as Cloud alts (Sora, Chrono, Erdrick, Cecil, etc), but unlikely.

If anything the most I'd expect out of it would be Slime hats, think what FFXIV did for their Dragon Quest events with the King Slime helmet.