Sign in to follow this  
KiTA

#DragonQuestForTheWest mentioned by Square Enix; New Operation: #Leav

http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/dragon-quest-vii-viii-3ds-are-coming-west

So in their official blog post talking about Dragon Quest 7 and 8, Square Enix ended it with a hashtag we're all familiar with:  

#DragonQuestForTheWest

That means two things:

1.  They heard us.

2.  Our petition helped.

With that glorious realization in mind, it's time to move on to round two.

Announcing:  Leave No Slime Behind

Dragon Quest 7 and 8 are great games and we're extremely lucky to see Nintendo and Square Enix chancing bringing them over.  But they're not the only titles we're missing.

As of this writing, the following titles are still "in the air" and still potential localization candidates.  The list was spartan, but with DQ7 getting a release the doors are wide open now:

1. Rocket Slime 3

2. Dragon Quest Monsters:  Terry's Wonderland
3. Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca's Marvelous Mysterious Key
4.  Dragon Quest X
5.  Dragon Quest Stars
6.  Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light
7.  Dragon Quest Builders
8.  Dragon Quest XI
9.  Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3
10.  Theatrhythm Dragon Quest

Our job is not over.  We know they hear us.  We need to shout louder if we want to keep the floodgates of communication - and localization - open.

So lets twitterbomb Square Enix and Nintendo of America.  The hashtag is #LeaveNoSlimeBehind along with #DragonQuestForTheWest.  The plan is to take selfies with Dragon Quest Merch -- preferably Slimes of some kind, and post it with an @DragonQuest and a @NintendoAmerica.

Don't have any Dragon Quest Merch?  We'll be making some Dragon Quest papercraft / paper children that you can print out and take photos of.  No camera?  Draw or Photoshop a Slime.  Can't draw and all thumbs with photoshop? Grab some screenshots of one of the above games, or if you've imported post your impressions.  Don't feel like posting that sort of thing?  Follow the tag, fave and retweet other people's posts.

It's clear that Square Enix has heard us, even though they kept silent this whole time.  We need to give them more to listen to.  

Dragon Quest For The West, ROUND TWO:  Leave No Slime Behind!
Edited by KiTA
  • Upvote 2

#NoSlimeLeftBehind

Didn't wanna go with George W. Bush-age hashtag?

#NoSlimeLeftBehind

Had a war movie of some kind on TV in the background earlier tonight, actually...  Hm.   Which do you think is punchier?

Edited by KiTA

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but at this point, I don't think Nintendo or Square-Enix will consider localizing any more games until the first of the newly announced games is released. Then they can gauge on how well it sold. They're going to do this before putting out any more work towards more Dragon Quest games.

Obviously Builders and Heroes II are going to be released so you can take those off your list. Dragon Quest XI is also probably a sure thing on PlayStation 4.

• Upvote 5

#NoSlimeLeftBehind

Had a war movie of some kind on TV in the background earlier tonight, actually... Hm. Which do you think is punchier?

Being an education initiative, I've heard that damn No Child Left Behind thing forever. Not 100% sure if everyone else knows or is as aware of it. I liked it due to the punniness.
  • Upvote 1

RPG makes a good point. I think instead of trying to push the Monsters or Slime games, we should instead support what we're getting, tell them how thankful we are, and down the road we push and show support for XI, Builders, and Heroes 2. We don't want to be TOO overwhelming when we only just got word of 7 & 8 coming over! :P

Who knows? Our efforts could very well lead to the other spin off games!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 3

RPG makes a good point. I think instead of trying to push the Monsters or Slime games, we should instead support what we're getting, tell them how thankful we are, and down the road we push and show support for XI, Builders, and Heroes 2. We don't want to be TOO overwhelming when we only just got word of 7 & 8 coming over! :P

I agree it's way too early to push for the other Dragon Quest games. VII and VIII is our biggest opportunity to prove Square Enix that there indeed is a market for Dragon Quest in the West.

• Upvote 2

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but at this point, I don't think Nintendo or Square-Enix will consider localizing any more games until the first of the newly announced games is released. Then they can gauge on how well it sold. They're going to do this before putting out any more work towards more Dragon Quest games.

Obviously Builders and Heroes II are going to be released so you can take those off your list. Dragon Quest XI is also probably a sure thing on PlayStation 4.

I have to agree.  I think we should campaign, but we can sit, plan, and wait a bit.  It's fine to want more releases, but the thing is SE and Nintendo are pretty damn booked through to the middle of 2016 at the least, and whatever teams are off the hook after several major releases through summer will probably back back in the office in a month or so, on some next drawing board.

My impression is that Nintendo had to help SE...I mean, look at SE.  Their entire Western and Eastern divisions are gearing up for some major releases next year, and some future releases on the PS4.  Nintendo is pretty taxed as well.  They're just churning them out for a bang in 2016.

So I think we should just discuss this amongst ourselves for now.  Give them a break for awhile.  The 3DS isn't dead, and it's now potentially possible they COULD consider a compilation package on the NX given the NX is likely to see a 3DS and WiiU VC section.  So who knows, they might decide, for a last hurrah, in 2017, DQ11, and the DQ Monsters package.  Though I don't think we're going to get everything, not yet.  Not unless they see some major sales gains well in excess of expectations.  Then, probably.

I agree it's way too early to push for the other Dragon Quest games. VII and VIII is our biggest opportunity to prove Square Enix that there indeed is a market for Dragon Quest in the West.

This too is very important.  Too much DQ also has a problem of seeing too few sales over time.  Wallets are sore right now, and while I have high hopes and good anticipation for world economic recovery next year, I would rather not overwhelm the market, and SE for right now.  This is a big deal for them as well as us, and we really need to solidify that DQ 7 and 8...ARE the core marketable type of games.  From there, spinoffs are definitely more viable going into the future.  I'm sure on their own they might decide to just release a few extra gems, if DQ7 and 8 do very well.  If anything I'm going to focus on my FAQ writing (yes, I know, I keep coming back here), finish up a few things, get my other writing done, and I'm thinking of starting a serious Videogame blog, maybe a political one, but I'm steering towards Videogames.

Just wanted to make sure you knew I saw your post and supported it!  Also highlighted a point I definitely see as a possibility.

• Upvote 1

Echoing everyone else.

Go go Builders! Mobile port!

Telling Square-Enix Thank You and supporting the victory we just had will leave more of an impression than immediately starting a new campaign and risking coming off as sounding thankless.

• Upvote 3

Telling Square-Enix Thank You and supporting the victory we just had will leave more of an impression than immediately starting a new campaign and risking coming off as sounding thankless.

Yes, this.
  • Upvote 2

Every time I respond to a Dragon Quest tweet, I mention every game we are missing on a current platform. I appreciate and am very thankful of the release announcement for 7 and 8, but that doesn't change my constant listing.

Although action may be needed in the future, I think the best thing to do is buy these new games.  Try to turn other people on to them.  Ensuring that these newly-announced titles make as much money as possible is the best thing we could do at this juncture.

• Upvote 2

I dont see this as a good time to poke the proverbial bear. We were just given a nice announcement, lets not spoil it by asking for more.

As of this writing, the following titles are still "in the air" and still potential localization candidates.  The list was spartan, but with DQ7 getting a release the doors are wide open now:

1. Rocket Slime 3

2. Dragon Quest Monsters:  Terry's Wonderland
3. Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca's Marvelous Mysterious Key
4.  Dragon Quest X
5.  Dragon Quest Stars
6.  Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light
7.  Dragon Quest Builders
8.  Dragon Quest XI
9.  Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3
10.  Theatrhythm Dragon Quest

I cant imagine they are going to go back and give us the first 4 games on this list (While I would love DQ X as MMOs are my favorite type of game, I have to be realistic). 5/6 are mobile games ... they are indeed up in the air. 7-10 I honestly can see us getting as well as Heroes II.

Lets just sit back and relish in what has just happened.

• Upvote 1

Did Theatruthym sell well in the first place? The FF one.

I bought that one and the Curtain Call one. I love FF and DQ music, so I had to. I hope mine was not the only purchase.

And... I agree with the others. We have our job ready for us.

After all we did asking for these games, we put ourselves in a place where it is our job to keep the enthusiasm about them and help with promotion. Other people have to keep hearing about these games, so they can see we are serious about them and they will care enough to buy them, too.

The DQ team are doing a good job with promotion already, creating catchy material. We can help by making that material reach more people, and also by creating new suitable content ourselves.

The time to ask for more will arrive once SQEX sees we do not only ask-ask-ask, but we can also cooperate and show a real interest in the well-being of the series.

• Upvote 1

And the petition did not help.

They listened to hundreds more fans doing hashtags on Twitter, spamming their emails, everything else we've done.

Not an internet-based petition with a couple thousand signatures.

And the petition did not help.

They listened to hundreds more fans doing hashtags on Twitter, spamming their emails, everything else we've done.

Not an internet-based petition with a couple thousand signatures.

This part is true, the constant reminders is what they have been saying since 2014, and the petition was only ever mentioned once.

Honestly, I think that might be a little insulting to them. Wouldn't it be better if we showed how thankful we are and how much we want to support them now that they actually showed us that they're listening. We'll have time to campaign for the other games later, but how about for now we shower them with praise. If we reply to their acknowledge of the hashtag by starting another hashtag demanding more things wouldn't that just teach them that we won't ever be satisfied with what they give us?

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Upvote 1

I don't know why everybody thinks we're insulting SE by asking for more games. It's not like we are asking for them to develop brand new DQ games just for the west. There is no reason we shouldn't have access to the same DQ library that Japan has. If anything it should be flattering that we want more.

• Upvote 2

I dont think anyone is saying dont ask for more stuff. The general consensus is that we should pace ourselves on what we request. It tends to show a lack of gratitude.

Plus right now is at a point where we probably dont need to ask for anything else personally. Its either past the window of we are getting it (too old of a system, etc) or its something we are probably going to get. The only 2 games I considered on the cusp was VII and VIII.

• Upvote 3

I dont think anyone is saying dont ask for more stuff. The general consensus is that we should pace ourselves on what we request. It tends to show a lack of gratitude.

Plus right now is at a point where we probably dont need to ask for anything else personally. Its either past the window of we are getting it (too old of a system, etc) or its something we are probably going to get. The only 2 games I considered on the cusp was VII and VIII.

I think they're mostly talking about all the other DQ 3DS games we haven't gotten. Like the Monsters remakes and the like.

But yeah. Jesus guys, lets take a moment to show our appreciation before launching a new hashtag. We just $#!&ing won. You realize that right? Not only did we get a confirmation on the one game we've been campaigning for, but we also got a confirmation on DQ VIII AND they even used our own hashtag on the official blog, in recognition of our efforts. Not only have they listened and acquiesced to our demands, but they made sure to let us know they were always listening.

Yes, they did a lot of crappy things to the fans in the past, but with any movement like this you have to be willing to forget the past when the other party steps up and gives into your demands. Else there's no reason in having the movement in the first place.

We did it, Den.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Upvote 2

Exactly. As great as it would be to try and get the monsters and Slime Morimori 3 over here ASAP, if we go and start another campaign right away it could end poorly and make us seem petty and unsatisfied, like we just looked at the news and said "...kay."

We need to savor our victory, thank SE/Nintendo, and show even more support for 7 & 8 coming over with miiverse posts, thank you letters, videos to raise awareness for the remakes coming over, and so on.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

I'm in the camp to tone down the begging and tone up the thank you's. Let's prove we want these games by supporting these releases like adults, and not whiny entitled children who just heard dinner is almost ready and are already crying for ice cream. If the sales fall flat again, why will they continue putting in the effort? Not to mention, they are localizing two very text heavy entries. These localizations have been going on for some time now especially since we saw an English build in the direct. They'll still need to finish these games before they can even consider using more resources for the next installments.

And you know what, if we don't hear anything for a little bit after these new titles launch, that's cool too. Not every company announces what they're doing. It seems like it took us awhile to get DQ 7 for 3DS, but that localization could have been worked on since shortly after the game launched in Japan depending on how much resources where put into it.

I guess in the end, time will tell. I'm just not ready to start demanding desert lol.

• Upvote 3

I'm going to set my sights for Joker 3, but I do think it's a real shame that the remakes will probably never make it over.  From what I've read, there seems to be a large potion of fans that have a special, nostalgic place for the originals in their hearts.  I, personally, never played them, but I wish I would have.