Name Changes in English (Currently making a list in the OP, pitch in)

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Preferences aren't "wrong." They're either agreed with or not. So, technically your understanding of English is wrong.

SEE?! It's already starting!

Comprehensive list (wip):   Monsters:           Towns:       Dungeons:       People:       Now less relevant OP:  

Protagonist's default name has become Auster.

Borkano is now Pollock.

The warrior woman from the first town in the past (can't remember her name) is now Maeve.

The kid whose dad joins your party in the first town is now Patrick.

I believe Mariner is now Sailor.

That's all I saw for now. :)

She was Matilda in the PS1 Version, iirc.

Edit Bard -> Troubadour is another change

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Yes! Another call with Scarfish! I like the name Maeve for that poor troubled character and the first time the world saw how a Fright Knight looked like. And no, i have not fully played DQVII...

Don't forget Shepherd! Or was that maintained? It's certainly a new class for me but I dunno if it was in the PS version.

Edited by frostare

Patrick was... Patrick in the PlayStation version. (His father is Hank)

Also, I got sailor right in my patch! Woot! I wasn't even trying to predict it though...

Auster means Southern Wind or the South Country...interesting play on the name.  Or it means someone from the east of a settlement.  Technically...both fit.  I still prefer Arus, because that actually makes more sense in context, but it's a more obscure hint of his history.

Pollock means sea fish, and is apparently the name of a type of large fish.

Maeve is an anglicanized historical irish name of a warrior queen who was apparently on the other side in history, the bad guy.  Meaning is "intoxicating."  Quite a fitting name.

• Upvote 1

I was really annoyed with Gabo being re-named "Ruff", it's fitting, but not as creative as you'd expect. But, I am truly excited to see what some of the town names have become. I do think there will be the removal of words like "bastard" and a certain "R" word that a man says in Rexwood, in the remake (me thinks they're trying to push Dragon Quest for a younger age group and have been since IX was released).

But, I honestly cannot wait to see some puns added in.

Edited by Niall Hoenn
  • 4 months later...

Rexwood is Bollymolloy, and apparently has a bad scottish accent according to a recent article I read.

This is speculation, but I imagine Loomin/Lunan is now "Loomingdale".

Technically, I have heard that there IS swearing in the game, despite it being rated E10+. On top of that, there's bathroom jokes and alcohol involved.

Sh!t! I'll drink to that!

Aluse= Auster

Gabo = Ruff

Melvin = Sir Mervyn

Aira = Aishe

Matilda = Mauve

Ruins = Shrine of Mysteries

Fishbel = Pilchard Bay

Rexwood = Ballymolloy

Engow = Emberdale

Orph = L'Arca

Falrod = Faraday

{Memorleaf} = Wilted Heart (I don't remember the PSX translation of this one, I've only got my 3DS in front of me.)

Dharma Temple = Alltrades Abbey (Who saw this one coming? LOL)

Mezar = La Bravoure

Sim Town = The Haven

Monster Park = Monster Meadows

Bard = Troubadour

{Devil Hunter} = Monster Masher (Again, I don't remember the PSX translation...)

Deja Sword = Sword of Roamers

There is a monster class called "Kingfuschia", but I don't know what monster this refers to.

I know some of these have been noted before, but I was watching the E3 footage and saw some new stuff. I haven't finished the video yet, so I might post more later, but I don't have time right now.

I love that they changed Bard to Troubadour. It's such a cool word to say.

• Upvote 1

Aluse= Auster

Gabo = Ruff

Melvin = Sir Mervyn

Aira = Aishe

Matilda = Mauve

Ruins = Shrine of Mysteries

Fishbel = Pilchard Bay

Rexwood = Ballymolloy

Engow = Emberdale

Orph = L'Arca

Falrod = Faraday

{Memorleaf} = Wilted Heart (I don't remember the PSX translation of this one, I've only got my 3DS in front of me.)

Dharma Temple = Alltrades Abbey (Who saw this one coming? LOL)

Mezar = La Bravoure

Sim Town = The Haven

Monster Park = Monster Meadows

Bard = Troubadour

{Devil Hunter} = Monster Masher (Again, I don't remember the PSX translation...)

Deja Sword = Sword of Roamers

There is a monster class called "Kingfuschia", but I don't know what monster this refers to.

I know some of these have been noted before, but I was watching the E3 footage and saw some new stuff. I haven't finished the video yet, so I might post more later, but I don't have time right now.

I think I know what you're talking about. It's the Florajay from Dragon Quest Monsters, isn't it? One of the monster classes in the game.

I like that they made Bard into Troubadour, instead of copping out with Minstrel

• Upvote 1

Copping  out? I translated Bard to Minstrel in my translation! Does that mean I copped out?

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

Well, I mean, Troubadour just sounds so classy compared to Minstrel... :P

While I'm thinking about it, Dragon Quest and Etrian Odyssey now have something in common: the English translations have changed the Japanese Bard to Troubadour. Hooray hoorah hooroo hooree.

While I'm thinking about it, Dragon Quest and Etrian Odyssey now have something in common: the English translations have changed the Japanese Bard to Troubadour. Hooray hoorah hooroo hooree.

They still can't heal like Fire Emblem's Troubadours.

Anyhoo, I love the name Emberdale. Fits Engow perfectly, all things considered.

They still can't heal like Fire Emblem's Troubadours.

Anyhoo, I love the name Emberdale. Fits Engow perfectly, all things considered.

Actually Etrian Odyssey 1/Untold 1's Troubdadours can heal both HP and TP (or MP). They ended up removing their healing skills in 2/Untold 2 because their healing abilities were too good! Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Copping  out? I translated Bard to Minstrel in my translation! Does that mean I copped out?

Yes. That's exactly what I meant. Totally not because other DQ gamnes had minstrels