Yo-Kai Watch

Brace yourselves, Yo-Kai Watch 2 incoming for an American release this September!

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/16/yo-kai-watch-2-release-north-america-september-30-2016/

I'll be ordering Fleshy Souls. While not into BBW, I'd prefer my souls a little more fleshy than bony.

I'm hoping this game is twice the length of the first. Really, really enjoyed the first.

Gotta remember to do more of the side quests this time instead of rushing through!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You made me think of this.

Plot twist: the entire game took place in Poland the whole time!

If I manage to beat Legend of Legacy before you tha- oh who am I kidding, that's not gonna happen...

Can't wait! :D

After being used to the Japanese version names, Ganso and Honke, though, these ones are a little weird to me XD I played through the first game in Japanese before the English release, and heard about the series as a whole before its English announcement, so I'm still having a bit of trouble adapting to the English voices and names. :P 

But regardless! Very exciting. This one has multiplayer battles and trading and stuff too! Maybe I'll even get both versions. (Their stories are actually different!)

Hopefully trading will be possible via online means between the two versions. I don't think anyone I know outside the Den will pick up either version, so that could be a problem if I want to get all the Yo-Kai.

Oh good. Now to decide which version to get. Gotta judge it by that boxart!

I enjoyed my time with Yokai Watch but I can't say I'm incredibly hyped for 2.

Bit strange since I usually enjoy these types of games.

Hey, you sound like me with Bravely Second. :P

Yokai Watch ended up landing on our shores with a thud instead of the splash I'm sure Nintendo was hoping for. I rarely ever see any Yokai Watch toys sell, except for one literally a day ago. It won't be long until the merch and toys end up in the clearance aisle. The cartoon is just sort of there, the game I'm sure did fine enough but no one is really talking about it anymore, and the answer to the question "is it the Pokemon killer?" is a resounding no. Not everything that's big in Japan is guaranteed to be here. We should know that better than most.

With the news of Yo-Kai 2 on the way, I finally found a game to grab my attention. In other words I'm going to try playing Yo-Kai Watch again.

Currently I'm trying to open up the fusion temple but it's proving a bit tricky due to Mochismo not wanting to join. If I could just get him I'll be good to go.

I forgot how fun the combat was. Yes you don't directly control the party outside Soultimate moves, but I like sitting back and watching my Yo-Kai duke it out. Reminds me of Dragon Warrior Monsters in a way.

Should I grab Yo-kai Watch? I meant to when it came out since 1) monster catching game and 2) Level 5, but got preoccupied with other titles.

I've been thinking of getting back into Pokemon but I only played R/B when those came out back in high school, so I'd have a lot more ground to cover with that.

But if YW2 is just coming out later this year, I can probably get into it easier and cover my monster catching itch, unless we miraculously get DQM titles again.

Edited by Tiael

I say go for Yo-Kai Watch 1. It's a fun game and I'm sure you'll enjoy it Tiael.

In my opinion I'd say go for Pokemon.

I think it might depend though. If you're planning on a solo experience, YW works too. However, if you want lots of options for playing with others (battles, trades, etc.), Pokemon is the way to go for sure. They're both really funthough; I've done two playthroughs of Yokai Watch, so you can tell I enjoy it. ;)  I personally prefer Pokemon to Yokai Watch, but hey, Tieal, go for whichever one looks more fun to you! 

Edited by gooieooie

Gooieooie makes a lot of good points. However, I do zero online stuff and never am in it to catch them all or do the post game or breed, so Yo-Kai Watch was just fine for me.

Finally, I recruited a Mochismo after an hour and a half! Darn thing hardly showed up a and when it did it was a real stickler about joining.

Now I can finally fuse Yo-Kai, though I'm severely disappointed you can only fuse specific ones together instead of taking the Dragon Warrior Monsters or Shin Megami Tensei route of multiple fusion options.

• Upvote 1

I think it might depend though. If you're planning on a solo experience, YW works too. However, if you want lots of options for playing with others (battles, trades, etc.), Pokemon is the way to go for sure. They're both really funthough; I've done two playthroughs of Yokai Watch, so you can tell I enjoy it. ;) I personally prefer Pokemon to Yokai Watch, but hey, Tieal, go for whichever one looks more fun to you!

Yeah, probably wouldn't be so much into the trades/battles with others, so may end up going for YW.

Fresher, and less games to catch up on.

As I'm one of those who would have to play every Pokemon after red and blue as I can't say no, and probably the rb remakes too.

Edited by Tiael

I think it might depend though. If you're planning on a solo experience, YW works too. However, if you want lots of options for playing with others (battles, trades, etc.), Pokemon is the way to go for sure. They're both really funthough; I've done two playthroughs of Yokai Watch, so you can tell I enjoy it. ;) I personally prefer Pokemon to Yokai Watch, but hey, Tieal, go for whichever one looks more fun to you!

Yeah, probably wouldn't be so much into the trades/battles with others, so may end up going for YW.

Fresher, and less games to catch up on.

As I'm one of those who would have to play every Pokemon after red and blue as I can't say no, and probably the rb remakes too.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IlNbsILLE] Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I've been playing it since it released here in Europe about three weeks ago and now im really envious of that YW2 announcement. I had lots of fun with it, i love this series already.

The game isn't too long, but getting all the Yokai might take some time, specially because they join randomly (a la DQ5, except you can give they food to increase the recruitment ratio).

I've been playing it since it released here in Europe about three weeks ago and now im really envious of that YW2 announcement. I had lots of fun with it, i love this series already.

The game isn't too long, but getting all the Yokai might take some time, specially because they join randomly (a la DQ5, except you can give they food to increase the recruitment ratio).

It's in line with the Dragon Warrior Monsters games: use meat to bribe the enemy to join you!

[Added this after writing; Rant warning!]

Gonna have to be honest, that was the one thing I despised about Yo-kai Watch. When a game revolves around catching stuff it's frustrating when you have to:

1. Figure out what they like

2. Obtain and use it

3. Repeat until you get them

I loved the game, but I hated how the catching went. It was sooo annoying, it was literally 100% up to the game whether you got it. I spent 4 HOURS to get Happiere, and using his favorite food; instead, I kept getting the ones he came with, which I didn't target once. I targetted Happiere, so stop giving me everything but!

In Pokemon, for example, you catch Pokemon using the PokeBall DURING the battle. You don't need to figure out what kind of item they enjoy, and then beat them to see if you get them. You throw a Ball, and then are immediately shown whether it breaks free or stays and becomes captured; if they break free, you can try again the next turn. In Yokai Watch, you need to complete the battle (only allowing you one attempt per battle), and if they don't join you, you have to leave the area and come back, and keep doing so until your Watch displays the correct rank; then you find it and see if it's the right one. So tedious, and it can take forever; again, the game decides whether or not it'll show up for you. So it's like three layers that are out of your control; you have to leave and come back until the proper rank shows up, then see if it's the one you're looking for, and then hope it decides to join you. 

I wouldn't mind it as much if once you figured out its favorite, using it guaranteed the capture upon winning, but even after using it, it usually doesn't join you.

I have heard it's different in 2, and thank goodness for that.

Edited by gooieooie

Eh, I don't mind the random system. Finding a guide online with favorite foods is helpful, but even then I kind of prefer the system. Makes it more satisfying to get the critter you were aiming for.

Not that it hasn't annoyed me at times, mind you, but I'm kind of a masochist in games (can you say playing Atlus games on the hardest settings?). Certainly beats the annoying system of DQV were you have to just hope it joins you. So many metal slimes slain and not a single one has offered to join after 100 hours on my DQV file...

See, I don't feel the same way. I feel satisfaction when I complete something DIFFICULT, but when you're literally doing the same thing over and over, it doesn't really feel very rewarding or satisfying in the end to me. This is the same reason why I didn't mess with the recruitment system much in DQV; I had a few that happened to join me during sessions of level grinding, plus story related ones, and that was it. My final main party consisted of Hero, Son, Daughter, and a Slime Knight. I didn't like the recruitment very much. 

When you actually do everything perfectly (Best food item, beat the battle, etc.), and you don't get it because the game randomly decided that, it annoys me, and it isn't satisfying to complete.

RNGesus can be a real bugger sometimes.

But when he shines upon you...bootiful.

That's my point exactly. You getting the Yokai is entirely dependant on RNG.

If you give them their favorite item and complete the battle, and don't get it, you can't say, "Crud! What can I improve for next time so I catch it? What did I do wrong?"

Because you did it perfectly, and you didn't get it just because RNG didn't give it to you. It's really irritating. Same thing when you need to catch bugs or fish in this game. If your marker doesn't land on a highlighted spot, you miss, and even if you do, there is a high chance it's not the one you need. There's one point where Draggie needs a specific fish, and it took me a good two hours in the right spot before it showed up. It's ridiculous, the game shouldn't rely on RNG as much as it does.

I know it sounds like I don't like the game, and that's not the case; I'm just pointing out a flaw that annoys me.

Edited by gooieooie
  • 2 months later...

If anyone here plays FFXIV, there's a Yokai Watch collaboration event starting next week where you can obtain several minions, weapons, and a mount based on various Yokai.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2016/youkai-watch/

Edited by Tiael

That's pretty awesome. I'd have to go for Whisper.

Can get them all at least.