Yo-Kai Watch

Plot twist: the entire game took place in Poland the whole time!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You made me think of this.

Plot twist: the entire game took place in Poland the whole time!

If I manage to beat Legend of Legacy before you tha- oh who am I kidding, that's not gonna happen...

NOOOOO!

Ah well, wouldn't be the first time!

• Upvote 1

I bit the bullet and bought Yokai Watch. Merry Christmas to me and whatnot.

I'm looking forward to playing the full game and seeing what I think of it. All it makes me think of so far is that it's Shin Megami Tensei Jr. what with the fusions, monsters based on mythology, etc. Not that me calling it SMT Jr. is a slam, mind you; that's just the first thought that popped into my head and I thought it was kinda funny.

Ok, time for some of Yangus' Patented Thoughts! As of this point I'm nearly 3 hours in, so let's get started!

-The game is told in an episodic nature, much like a TV show or, better example, the anime itself. So far one has gone as "a situation comes up due to a Yo-Kai, so you need to find a Yo-Kai to help!" It's a standard formula but it works thanks to the humor. In this example's case, the special Yo-Kai you recruit (Jibanyan) recounts his story of how he became a Yo-Kai, and while sad the game isn't afraid to throw in some laughs.

-Speaking of laughs, there have been some good laugh out loud moments with the game so far. The writing is pretty good, especially for Whisper and his snarkiness!

-The recruitment system is like a combination of SMT's demon negotiation and the early Dragon Warrior Monsters food system: giving a Yo-Kai food in battle will increase the chances of it joining. Each Yo-Kai has a particular food they like more than others, and giving them said food will greatly increase the chance of them joining. It isn't a guarantee by any means, but once you figure it out it will at least better your chances.

-The bug catching mechanic is a fun little diversion. I haven't quite figured out when to stop the roulette to make sure you land on a space, but that aside, I like how you can catch bugs (and fish by the looks of it) to trade or sell for goods/money.

-The battle system is, like I said before, a lot of fun. Being able to team up Yo-Kai of the same family to strengthen them and seeing what each is capable of is a great incentive to try different teams!

-Speaking of families, there are 8 classes of Yo-Kai.

-The Yo-Kai camera feature you can use is a nice little side mode to the game. I took a few practice pictures and each time I got a different Yo-Kai to show up. My favorite one i got was when the Yo-Kai Droplette showed up: the game proceeded to tell me I was possessed by this Yo-Kai because I have sweaty armpits...I proceeded to laugh hysterically.

Glad I picked this up, and I can't wait to keep up the adventure.

Here's a helpful source for the Yo-Kai in the game. It lists all the food each one likes, what family they are in, etc. Needless to say it's been great for recruiting.

http://yokaipedia.net/list-of-yokai/

• Upvote 1

Took on the first major boss, and it was an interesting fight! The trick was to target each of his heads and find the one hiding the weak spot (or what you're actually supposed to hit).

So far I have 24 Yo-Kai, one of which was a Rare Yo-Kai thanks to the Crank-a-Kai machine! He's a powerful sucker too, and helps boosts the whole party. Isa nice!

• Upvote 1

You won't regret it Platty. Like gooie said, the demo for the game did not do it justice at all. It's been a lot of fun, more so than I expected, and I'm glad I went ahead and picked it up.

I actually really like the system. Yeah it's random factor is odd even with the right food, but honestly I enjoy it. It reminds me oh so much of the recruitment system from the GBC Monsters games, and I loved that recruitment system. Perhaps the sense of familiarity is why I'm one of the few who actually likes it.

You won't regret it Platty. Like gooie said, the demo for the game did not do it justice at all. It's been a lot of fun, more so than I expected, and I'm glad I went ahead and picked it up.

Remember I still need to get on the Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold boat.

Although I'm predicting I'll be getting this first. I did a lot of Etrian Odyssey last year. Need more of a break.

I actually really like the system. Yeah it's random factor is odd even with the right food, but honestly I enjoy it. It reminds me oh so much of the recruitment system from the GBC Monsters games, and I loved that recruitment system. Perhaps the sense of familiarity is why I'm one of the few who actually likes it.

Heh, I like it too, it just gets a little annoying when you have to try using the same food item for an hour to catch one. :P

• Upvote 1

I'm gonna pretend I didn't see that you need a break from EO... :P

But I get where you're coming from Platty. If I didn't power through Untold 2 at the 3rd stratum back in August, it would still be in limbo. Dungeon crawlers are great, but sometimes you need to step out of the dungeon.

I haven't hit a wall like that, gooie! XD Only thing I've had trouble with is finding certain Yo-Kai at spawn points. Took a long time for Hungramps to show up and recruit!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

It's only for the really high ranked ones (A and S ranks), but when you're trying to catch a specific one and it just isn't happening, that's when the catching system gets a little annoying to me. On the other hand, when you do finally get it, it's so satisfying XD

Oh, I didn't think about higher ranks being a problem like that...that definitely makes sense why it could take an hour!

I'm curious though, when does fusion come into play? I've been looking forward to that feature...

As soon as you get to Blossom Heights (the second area of town), basically. It's the temple to the far left. However, you need to do a quest before you're allowed to use it. It's just to catch two Yokai (Mochismo and Dulluma), so if you grab those you'll be good. :)

Excellent! I don't think I'm far off from that then as I just got to Blossom Heights.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, can someone try this link and see if it brings up the website? I was about to start YoKai Watch again and when I went to check out the list for some recruiting help, it told me it couldn't open the site.

Hey, can someone try this link and see if it brings up the website? I was about to start YoKai Watch again and when I went to check out the list for some recruiting help, it told me it couldn't open the site.

Apparently I am forbidden.
That's what it told me too...

Wonder if they are having server issues or something.

;) I was able to access that site, so perhaps there was a server issue or glitch or something that resolved itself.