Yo-Kai Watch

Anyone going to take a look at this game?

I downloaded and played the demo this morning.  Beat it in like 10 minutes or so, not a huge demo.  I kinda liked it.  I'll admit that Level-5 is pretty much my favorite name in gaming, so I'm a little biased.  Interesting way to do bigger attacks & to revive monsters in battle.  The battles were definitely more interactive than point and click.

Doubt I'll be getting it anytime soon though.  Too many other games and saving up for PS4/DQHTWTWATBB.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You made me think of this.

Plot twist: the entire game took place in Poland the whole time!

If I manage to beat Legend of Legacy before you tha- oh who am I kidding, that's not gonna happen...

I actually heard from someone that the game plays itself in some instances. And we all know how you feel about certain games that gives one the ability to play themselves.

I might, I still need to try the demo. Honestly I need another RPG for my 3DS that doesn't have Atlus on its cover, but I'm thinking I may ask for Fantasy Life, Rune Factory 4, or (as much as I don't want to say it) Bravely Default for Christmas.

Speaking of Rune Factory, I saw a deal on Amazon for the three DS games for around $60. What do you think Platty, would they be worth it for about 20 bucks each?

Watching gameplay videos, it looks like the game plays itself.  I can see why people would like it though, because it does have that unique anime-style look so common to level-5 games.

I might, I still need to try the demo. Honestly I need another RPG for my 3DS that doesn't have Atlus on its cover, but I'm thinking I may ask for Fantasy Life, Rune Factory 4, or (as much as I don't want to say it) Bravely Default for Christmas.

Times like these make me happy to have a Vita.

It's an SRPG but try Fire Emblem Awakening.

Edited by eal

I actually heard from someone that the game plays itself in some instances. And we all know how you feel about certain games that gives one the ability to play themselves.

You know, it took 2 or 3 battles for me to realize that's exactly what was happening. Imagine a battle in which you have 6 party members that are constantly using their base (weak) attack on monsters that are attacking them. You can switch members at any second. You rotate them in and out of battles with the L and R buttons. You can have the monsters use their special ability/attack (I wonder if they learn more) by activating it and then doing some sort of touch screen action. Sometimes I had to use the stylus to spin a disc for 5 seconds or click on flying circles quickly. I'd hope they have a wide variety of challenges for these. Dead/poisoned? monsters can be rotated out and you can revive them by doing some other touch screen action. Again, the demo was like 4 battles long, so that's my 10-minute analysis.

Funny, I didn't associate it with FFXII, but yeah I could see that.

Speaking of Rune Factory, I saw a deal on Amazon for the three DS games for around $60. What do you think Platty, would they be worth it for about 20 bucks each?

Fantasy Life is 100+ hours of pure fun.

For $60, you'll get 200 hours of fun out of Rune Factory. Both are can't lose decisions.

We've already discussed how I don't care for strategy RPGs. I already own FE:A anyway, but only got like 5 hours in.

We've already discussed how I don't care for strategy RPGs. I already own FE:A anyway, but only got like 5 hours in.
It's times when I think of SRPGs that make me glad I don't have a Vita.

The Vita catalog is almost exclusively ports, rhythm games, and RPGs, Platty.

I don't own a boat so ports are pointless to me. Rhythm games aren't my thing. I've got more RPGs on my 3DS than I even have time to play.

Not cracking on the Vita. Just saying I've got no need nor desire for it myself.

Edited by Plattym3

You know, it took 2 or 3 battles for me to realize that's exactly what was happening. Imagine a battle in which you have 6 party members that are constantly using their base (weak) attack on monsters that are attacking them. You can switch members at any second. You rotate them in and out of battles with the L and R buttons. You can have the monsters use their special ability/attack (I wonder if they learn more) by activating it and then doing some sort of touch screen action. Sometimes I had to use the stylus to spin a disc for 5 seconds or click on flying circles quickly. I'd hope they have a wide variety of challenges for these. Dead/poisoned? monsters can be rotated out and you can revive them by doing some other touch screen action. Again, the demo was like 4 battles long, so that's my 10-minute analysis.

Funny, I didn't associate it with FFXII, but yeah I could see that.

Fantasy Life is 100+ hours of pure fun.

For $60, you'll get 200 hours of fun out of Rune Factory. Both are can't lose decisions.

Alright, I may just ask for Fantasy Life then.

As for the RF games, those will have to wait till after Christmas, so hopefully they'll still be around that price for all 3 games. Should be an interesting experience since I've never played a Harvest Moon (which yes I know it isn't exactly like Harvest Moon but that's the best example I got) game or any of Natsume's games for that matter.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Fantasy Life actually would be a great gateway game to the Rune Factory games. The battle gameplay is basically identical.

Then if you move into the Rune Factory games, you'll be familiar with the battle system (not that it's hard) and then just have to learn the Harvest Moon half of the game.

• Upvote 1

Great, that's good to hear! If that's the case then depending on how much I enjoy FL then that will determine if I get the RF DS trilogy.

I'm not a huge level-5 fan (mainly from lack of playing their games for myself) but a lot of their work has left me interested. I'd still love to get a PS3 just to play Ni No Kuni.

Alright, I gave the demo a shot and...it was alright. I'll admit that while I like the style of the game, the designs for the creatures, and the neat idea of the battle system, it wasn't something that made me think "I really want the full game now." Maybe down the road if the game goes down in price I'd pick it up, but for now I'll pass on Yo-Kai Watch.

• Upvote 1

Alright, I gave the demo a shot and...it was alright. I'll admit that while I like the style of the game, the designs for the creatures, and the neat idea of the battle system, it wasn't something that made me think "I really want the full game now." Maybe down the road if the game goes down in price I'd pick it up, but for now I'll pass on Yo-Kai Watch.

Ditto. If I were to run low, I'd pick this up used for cheap.

While I'm not interested in Yo-Kai Watch, those who were told me the demo isn't representative of the actual game.

That's one horrible demo then. Especially if it's worse than the actual game.

Hmm...my opinion on the game has swayed a little. Watching the full game via YouTube does make it look silly, but fun. Either way it's going to wait till after Christmas. Maybe by then it'll be down in price a bit.

Oh, and I watched some of the anime...damn that theme song....

Ok, I take back my comment from before: the demo was actually pretty fun upon replaying it. Funny enough I had the same reaction to Legend of Legacy, so I guess history is just repeating itself.

By God, I'm in a time loop!

(PS I'm definitely getting this game now. I may take this topic over for my playthrough whenever I pick it up.)

Ok, I take back my comment from before: the demo was actually pretty fun upon replaying it. Funny enough I had the same reaction to Legend of Legacy, so I guess history is just repeating itself.

By God, I'm in a time loop!

Hey, what's the new Atlus game I'm seeing hyped for Spring on Ps4 all about?

I think it's a new Odin Sphere game...?

I kind of glanced over it because it's on PS4, and ol' -er, lil' Yangus don't have one o' those.

I really like Yo-kai Watch. I always enjoy Level-5 games, so this is no different. :) There really is a lot of content in this game, so I never have to try hard to find something to do.

In regards to the demo, it's misleading because it doesn't let you explore at all; in the full game, there are a ton of areas to explore. The area you're stuck in in the demo is less than half of the first SECTION of the town, not to mention all the buildings and areas you can enter in it. Even in the post-game, I'm still finding new places I haven't seen yet.  Plus, I always have fun trying to get every last monster in monster catching RPGs, so I get a ton of playtime out of them usually. ;)

If you're interested in the concept at all I'd recommend giving it a try. I'm having lots of fun with it, and as is usual for L5, the game has a lot of content and polish. :D

Edited by gooieooie