Sign in to follow this  
Z6n4

[Translation] DQM 3DS Terrys Wonderland 3D

All,

There is a translation in the works!

Just wanted to extend this topic on Gbatemp I found.

Seems they hit a roadblock, and if they can solve this problem, will be able to finish the translation!

http://gbatemp.net/threads/request-scr-file-extension-help-interpret.397050/#post-5777496

Hopefully some talented hackers here can provide them with the direction they need.

• Upvote 3

At this point, I think Joker 3 has a better chance of coming stateside than either of the original DQM remakes, which sucks because I enjoy the series and would think it can appeal to people.  I know that because I got into the original Joker during a time I was burned out by Pokemon.

Still, any attempts at translation I can appreciate.  I know I always wanted to play Joker 2 Professional.

Edited by Vulcanos
  • Upvote 1

I mean the translation work is done for the most part.  

They just cant re-insert the script.

they can re-insert the menus and translated images.  

I think he's just asking people to assess the current work/research done and give the helping hand.

Having no emulator for 3DS makes the whole process harder im sure.

Also considering that the whole process is very tricky regarding emulation, the best bet is that it likely can be put into an R4 cartridge that can be played on 3DS units.

I'm honestly being kind of quiet, this is my project.

I was also heading up the canned DQ7 3DS project (which happened for good measure).

The most annoying part for me honestly, is rebuilding the game with patched files, transfering the 1GB file to my memory card and booting into "R4" or gateway mode to actually play it, just to be shown a black screen.

Its probably around a 5-10 minute process, which isnt bad, but when you hit a black screen, that means you need to rethink your approach, try again, and its like 2-3 failures an hour.

Alot of time to make NO progress.  >.<

The only other method for testing at this point is *hax 2.5 using Hans to redirect the RomFS.

I'm honestly being kind of quiet, this is my project.

I was also heading up the canned DQ7 3DS project (which happened for good measure).

The most annoying part for me honestly, is rebuilding the game with patched files, transfering the 1GB file to my memory card and booting into "R4" or gateway mode to actually play it, just to be shown a black screen.

Its probably around a 5-10 minute process, which isnt bad, but when you hit a black screen, that means you need to rethink your approach, try again, and its like 2-3 failures an hour.

Alot of time to make NO progress.  >.<

When I was working on VII (I had given up on an official translation and I wasn't going to just be OK with the cease and decist order against your project dooming the game here), I learned to try multiple ideas at once. I'd have a couple copies of the project on my hard drive, and if I ever got stuck like that, I'd start building the ROM with one patch and try to implement a different method on the other copy while the first one was still building in case it didn't work. It saved me some time.

The iOS version was so much easier because

A) By the time I started work on it, I'd had a good chunk of stuff already translated from the 3DS version (they use the same files, with minor alterations to the iOS version due to the touch controls)

B) I could just copy the edited files right into the app directory, no rebuilding necessary

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

I saw you posting on my thread on GBA Temp.  Any help would be appreciated!  One of our guys has a physical copy, and NTR CFW that we are using to patch on the fly and test.

That would probably help me out a lot.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of Terry's Wonderland 3D or Iru and Ruka's Magic Key 3D yet... So I have no way of helping out, personally. But I wish you good luck.

That is looking awesome!  It's great to hear that there has been some real breakthrough's lately with the technical hurdles.  Congratulations to the team (you know who you are...) for the hard work and tenacity to keep at this all this time.

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Yeah, been meaning to post about this. I'm following the translation thread on GBATemp.net

Edited by Plattym3

Looking good!

What's with the two fonts? Are you trying to decide which one to stick with? (Not going to lie, I didn't read the whole reddit thread because... it's reddit.) I personally prefer the bolder font, which I'm assuming was the original Japanese font, but the thinner font looks more like something that would appear in an official localization, and may help if you need to cram a bunch of text into small spaces. I know the bold font in DQ7 was very tedious to work with when it comes to status windows and such.

Z6n4, in case you don't see a notification, I sent you a PM here on the Den. I'd appreciate if you'd give it a read.