Post Game Discussions

kingmetal

Just thought it would be good to start a post game thread for those of us that are not working and have spent all our free time playing for the last two weeks.

Has anyone tried to fight Zoma without using the Sphere of LIght?  I finally beat him last night along with Nokturnus.  I'm officially done with all the post game content short of max leveling my characters and getting all of the monster suppression medals.  I was just thinking I will max out my characters levels and then flying start to max out the skills before attempting to take on Zoma without the sphere.

• Upvote 1

Well, I started my third flying start and am working toward the end of the game to attempt the Zoma fight without the Sphere of Light, hopefully by the end of the weekend I will see how hard it is.

Sounds really interesting, sounds like I have a lot to look forward to.  I just defeated Velasco at the Fault and just had Psaro join my party...  he was a tough battle!  13 characters is nice, but still would have liked to see more hidden characters at least 2 more.

I'm King Metal Slime hunting. I've defeated a couple now, but I'm trying to get the trophy pop for it so I can get more minimedals, but it hasn't yet. Does that trophy only unlock if it's the MC that deals the final blow or something?

Metal King hunting is easier if you finish Maya's dlc questline and then equip either Terry or Alena with 3 raging rubies. Terry in falcon slash or alena with divide and conquer will both take a metal king down SUPER fast with this setup (I also charge up my tension before hand for the running speed boost to catch it.

I'm King Metal Slime hunting. I've defeated a couple now, but I'm trying to get the trophy pop for it so I can get more minimedals, but it hasn't yet. Does that trophy only unlock if it's the MC that deals the final blow or something?

When I first killed an MKS the trophy didn't pop on the screen but when I went to the accolade desk it was ready to be claimed.

Sounds really interesting, sounds like I have a lot to look forward to.  I just defeated Velasco at the Fault and just had Psaro join my party...  he was a tough battle!  13 characters is nice, but still would have liked to see more hidden characters at least 2 more.

I agree, it would be great if there were other hidden characters.  I wouldn't mind recruiting Velasco.

It took me 4 times to kill one to get the trophy to pop. Not sure what the difference was other than the time I got it, I killed him super fast.

I got slaughtered by Zoma, havent even tried Nokturnus. I have tried Bjorn however and havent even hardly dented him.

The other issue Im having is getting the fight for the "shiny longsword" down. I can kill the lion, the guardian, the hydra, and the troll ... but by the time the last 2 come out, Im spent.

Finally beat the metal madness fight. Ive been working on the Atlas fight which is too bad other than the fact that you have to guard that stupid root. By the time I make it to the root, its almost dead. It really needs to be reconsidered as to having the root there at all. The monsters do not pull their attention off the root and it takes maybe 20 seconds for them to kill it. It just isnt right.

I got slaughtered by Zoma, havent even tried Nokturnus. I have tried Bjorn however and havent even hardly dented him.

The bjorn fight is pretty easy once you figure out what you have to do.  At the higher levels you can just let your team handle to veteran rockbombs, otherwise whenever one drops hop off the spellcaster and wail on it.  Make sure to keep an eye on Bjorn so when he starts charging his fire spell you can hit him in the face with the heavy spellcaster.  This will cause him to stand still with his mouth open and all the big hits will do between 5000-7000 damage depending on how close he is to the stonecloud.  You can also stun him by hitting the large rock he holds over his head, this will make him drop it on himself.

Whenever he summons the mawkeepers just use the heavy spellcaster to kill them off, they each only need one hit and are close enough that you don't have to loft the shots, just aim right at them. I almost never use the light spellcaster that shoots the arrows in this fight, I think it's just a feint.

Here's a more detailed method:

First hop in the heavy spellcaster, the one on the left, and shoot the large boulder, not Bjorn, to stun him.  Then unload as many shots as you can before the rockbomb falls on the stonecloud.  Hop out and go wail on the rockbomb, orient the camera so you can see Bjorn; you will have to dodge a lighting attack while heading to the rockbomb.  

While beating on the rockbomb Bjorn will begin charging his fireball, hop back in the left spellcaster and shoot him in the face, this should stun him and drop his defenses so you can start doing some serious damage. Usually what I do is leave at least six rounds in the spellcaster and go finish off the rockbomb, if your team hasn't already, then wait for Bjorn to summon the mawkeepers.  You kind of have to feel it out and decide if you can empty the spellcaster and wait for it to reload or not before the mawkeepers.

When the mawkeepers appear you should be able to take out the three on the left before they even summon anything, then aim for the three on the right.  Once you get really good at it only the last two keepers will even have a chance of summoning anything.

At this point it's all about repeating this pattern and managing ammo, when you get about a third of his HP gone he falls down and you get to jump on his snout and bash his eyes. If your tension bar is full you will be able to activate it and beat on him for the full time it takes to countdown without pre-emptively activating the coup de grace.  I suggest using Terry's falcon slash/gust slash combo to deal some serious damage.

Finally beat the metal madness fight. Ive been working on the Atlas fight which is too bad other than the fact that you have to guard that stupid root. By the time I make it to the root, its almost dead. It really needs to be reconsidered as to having the root there at all. The monsters do not pull their attention off the root and it takes maybe 20 seconds for them to kill it. It just isnt right.

The metal madness fight was my most frustrating before the Zoma fight.  Finally, I just decided to focus on the hydra first and deal with the rest later and I beat it on the first time I tried that strategy.

With Atlas I found the using the Terry strategy you can keep Atlas on lock down while dealing with those he summons. My team is usually Luceus, Terry, Jessica, and Alena. The strategy is basically cast falcon slash then use gust slashes; this should allow you to fill up your tension bar after 3-4 attacks then activate it.  The coup de grace will bring Atlas to his knees and then you can repeat the process basically before he gets back up.  I suggest casting falcon slash before the coup de grace happens so you don't have to use MP after.  Once Belial and Pazuzu appear you should have a fully charged tension bar on Terry so use it and focus your attacks on Pazuzu, when the coup de grace activates try to position yourself so that hit hits all three creatures, at least Atlas to knock him down.  

Once Pazuzu and Belial are dead Atlas should either have just summoned or is about to summon the mawkeepers.  Head to the root and there should be silvapithicus' and two killer machines there, or headed there.  Your other characters should have full tension bars by this point so switch to one of them and activate to quickly take care of these threats.  Collect the two killer machine medals and put them in the stairwell to the dungeons to block any other silvapithicus' that try to come out.  Hopefully at least one more of your party still has a full tension bar so use it to go and kill the green dragon and the mawkeeper that appeared by Atlas.  

At this point you just need to keep using the Terry strategy on Atlas and keep an eye on the map to see if anyone is heading to it.  Sometimes it is easier to kill the green dragon and the mawkeeper by Atlas before going to kill the two killer machines and blocking the dungeon, but you will have to feel that out when you get there.  

Edited by kingmetal

Well, I went at an unweakened Zoma this morning and boy is he tough.  It seems like he has a couple new abilities at full power but the biggest problem I found is that even with over 100% freeze reduction he is still able to freeze my team members into place because one of his new abilities reduces the effectiveness of all my abilities.  He is crazy powerful, even if you use the liquid metal orb his big spells are strong enough to kill you in one hit so instead I just equip Erdrick's Orb so I can keep my HP.  Terry, who is usually a rockstar in this fight, is basically useless so I just resorted to the Luceus strategy of attacking with fire slash from a distance.  It takes a better player than myself to kill him, but I think it is possible.  You just have to avoid most of his hits.  In my best match with him I took away about 1/8 of his HP before dying.

Did you focus on him and ignore the horde or did you take care of the horde first?  I found that killing everything else first gives you the room to attack and dodge.  It makes the battle a grind, but its a safe way to make it happen.

Thanks for the advice! Im going to read your strats thoroughly and give it a go soon (just got back in town after a 10 day vacay so Im looking forward to some DQH time anyhow!)

Still trying to get everyone high enough to survive metal madness... Luceus at 99 and everyone else 70+ going to try again in 5 more levels.

Still trying to get everyone high enough to survive metal madness... Luceus at 99 and everyone else 70+ going to try again in 5 more levels.

I find that surprising, I would think at those levels you should be able to make it work.  Ignore the Marquis until King Hydra is dead.  The rest  of your team will usually attack whatever is closest so they will damage Marquis while you focus on Hydra.  The accessories that I like are the prayer ring, because it replenished hp/mp on high tension, stimulating specs for the start tension boost and then usually an auto block accessory, I forget which one that is.  

Like I said above, I tried the metal madness challenge probably a dozen times where I focused on the support enemies over the Hydra and failed miserably every time and the first time I focused on King Hydra I beat it.  Good Luck!

I did the exact opposite. I kept trying to beat it with killing the Hydra first and it never worked for me. When I finally ignored the Hydra, I won. There is a spot underneath the Hydra's head where you can beat on it and it cant hit you back and if you are under there, I know at least the Stone guardian cant reach you there either. I went 100% on the lion, then took out the troll then the guardian (while taking cheap shots on the Hydra since I could. I would use it to fill my tension bar and it would in turn heal me cause of my prayer ring). Once they were both dead, I went full blast on the last 2. They dont have near the health of the first 2 rounds so it wasnt too bad. Once they were gone, it was free time on the Hydra.

Other than the prayer ring, my main accessories was the one that gives extra Yggdrasil leaves cause I expected to die and have to revive a lot and a modified reflect item to go with my reflect armor. Half of the stuff shot at me when back at the caster.

You're all talking about how hard Metal Madness is and I'm just over screaming at the merchant in the Jessica/Yangus quest chain that keeps running up to and smacking the red dragon with his stick.

I had a hard time with that one, I ended up using Bianca and Rain of Pain to clear that one out

Oh, there were a few "protect the moron" quests that were pretty difficult due to the moron you were protecting. You would figure the AI wouldnt run off while you are killing the stuff but eh :)

• Upvote 1

Oh, there were a few "protect the moron" quests that were pretty difficult due to the moron you were protecting. You would figure the AI wouldnt run off while you are killing the stuff but eh :)

That's was Maya's quest of protecting the guy in Grannet. He just kept running into groups of enemies and I'd have to go save him. He couldn't stay in one place. This made it hard when I was trying to shut down portal, even with minions deployed he'd wander off from them.

Well, enough of that one. I beat it. :) I thought Atlas was the last monster on my list but apparently Bjorn, Zoma, and Nokturnus are considered for the trophy. :\

Edited by Soera

I gave Nokturnus and Zoma a shot today. Holy @#%#@%. They are tough. I can get Nokturnus down about 25%. I honestly dont think I even got close enough to Zoma to hit him.