Sorry about my long absence. I was going busy with life stuff. Anyway, I wanted to get an opinion from you guys: I own an Xbox One, but not a PS4. And I want Dragon Quest Heroes. The trouble is, I don't want to get a PS4 just for one game. I just wanted to ask: Do you think it would be good if Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below came out on Xbox One? I think it would be the first Dragon Quest game on a Microsoft console ever.

I'm honestly surprised it didn't dual-release in JP.

The XB1 needs units sold there, and a DQ title would do it.

• Upvote 1

Would it? Or would it just be Meh and people keep their PS3 or buy PS4? That's what I think might happen.
  • Upvote 1

Why isn't it on XB1? Because it'd be XBoned! Ba-dum-dum! (Runs)

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

It wouldn't sell very well if it did, since the adoption rate in Japan is super low there. Here, the game probably wouldn't sell since the Xbox demographic isn't generally for Japanese style games. I wouldn't say it would be a wasted effort, but it definitely would not help the case that Square Enix has against DQ not selling great in the west.

Really? You're surprised?

The XB1 hasn't even sold 60,000 units (that's right - sixty thousand units) in Japan and it's been out for over a year now. With sales like that it should surprise no one that Japanese-centric games avoid the XB1 like a plague.

As for not releasing an XB1 version for North America/Europe I couldn't tell you. Probably not worth the effort to port it. I mean even the PS3 version wasn't deemed worthy enough for releasing outside Japan. Doesn't help that JRPG sales are heavily slanted to PlayStation consoles in those territorities (just compare the FF 13 trilogy Western sales for PS3 and 360) and XB1 sales are abysmal in Japan for PS4 makes the most sense. The bigger question is why wasn't there a Wii U version of the game?

Edited by Bob_the_Almighty

As I've said probably over 20 times in some way or another. DQH also needs a PC release [steam would be the most likely platform, being DW8 has been ported to Steam, albiet it's not been said to be a very good port at all, and I would hope they would do a better port of DQH if they put it on].

Like the topic creator, I don't own a PS4 [or even any current gen console, having not owned one since the SNES and moving to PC], and I certainly don't have THAT much $ to throw around to get both the PS4 and DQH. I'd more than willingly buy DQH if it had a PC release, but clearing a $350+ wall and then another $60ish just to get it isn't in the cards. :P

Yeah Steam would be a good option but the root of the problem is PC gaming isn't popular in Japan and Dragon Quest is rather niche outside Japan. I'm not sure that an Xbox One or Steam release will end up with any significant amount of sales compared to just releasing the PS4 version.

In a perfect world every game would be on Steam and everyone would be happy lol.

Would it? Or would it just be Meh and people keep their PS3 or buy PS4? That's what I think might happen.

Blue Dragon, Sakaguchi's take on the DQ model, sold X360's, nearly doubled the Japanese sales for the period it was released.

It would likely increase the XBone by about 1.2~3x, depending on whether they assured PS4 and Xbone exclusive elements.  More likely a 20%~50% increase though, since it wouldn't be an exclusive to the Xbone, as BD was for the 360.

If SE was smart, they would've planned for an Xbox One release in the US (Europe...maybe, but US, definitely).

Hell, they would've been 100x smarter releasing it on the PS3, so I have to imagine their sales markers are MUCH lower due to the PS4 exclusivity.

The XB1 hasn't even sold 60,000 units (that's right - sixty thousand units) in Japan and it's been out for over a year now. With sales like that it should surprise no one that Japanese-centric games avoid the XB1 like a plague.

As for not releasing an XB1 version for North America/Europe I couldn't tell you. Probably not worth the effort to port it. I mean even the PS3 version wasn't deemed worthy enough for releasing outside Japan. Doesn't help that JRPG sales are heavily slanted to PlayStation consoles in those territorities (just compare the FF 13 trilogy Western sales for PS3 and 360) and XB1 sales are abysmal in Japan for PS4 makes the most sense. The bigger question is why wasn't there a Wii U version of the game?

That probably has more to do with Mussou game sales (especially in Europe).  They'd probably double or triple their overall sales, given it's an Action RPG, and most XBox gamers have probably never played/seen/experience/know about Mussou style gaming.  Not to mention it's very fast paced, and offers a lot of ways to kill bulk enemies, and more options for battleling than any other Mussou-style game released prior to DQH.

Even Hyrule Warriors sold like ass in the US compared to Japan, and far lower in Europe.  It's not just the WiiU either.  It's the history of the gameplay style, it typically doesn't do well.  I say it has a better chance on the Xbox One, because frankly, the type of gamer that system attracts has a better chance of seeing more activity, just because it's more likely to be unfamiliar, and thus new and exciting.

Then again...cartoonish graphics?  It's hard to say, unless they really pushed it with the limit breaks, and make that DBZ tie-in by mentioning Akira Toriyama created DBZ.

The US though, given penetration is much much much higher than even in Europe...but then again, the PS3 is already present, and plenty of people who own a PS3 have stated they still don't want to buy a PS4 yet.

That probably has more to do with Mussou game sales (especially in Europe).  They'd probably double or triple their overall sales, given it's an Action RPG, and most XBox gamers have probably never played/seen/experience/know about Mussou style gaming.  Not to mention it's very fast paced, and offers a lot of ways to kill bulk enemies, and more options for battleling than any other Mussou-style game released prior to DQH.

Even Hyrule Warriors sold like ass in the US compared to Japan, and far lower in Europe.  It's not just the WiiU either.  It's the history of the gameplay style, it typically doesn't do well.  I say it has a better chance on the Xbox One, because frankly, the type of gamer that system attracts has a better chance of seeing more activity, just because it's more likely to be unfamiliar, and thus new and exciting.

Then again...cartoonish graphics?  It's hard to say, unless they really pushed it with the limit breaks, and make that DBZ tie-in by mentioning Akira Toriyama created DBZ.

The US though, given penetration is much much much higher than even in Europe...but then again, the PS3 is already present, and plenty of people who own a PS3 have stated they still don't want to buy a PS4 yet.

There's no way an Xbox release would get anywhere near doubling or tripling the overall sales.

Square-Enix (and JRPGs in general) have been long associated with PlayStation consoles; both inside and outside Japan.  According to the NPD Final Fantasy 13's US sales were 80% PS3 and that was at a time when the 360 had nearly two times the sales as the PS3 (the 360 ended with 46 million sales in North America compared to the PS3's 26 million).  The sales ratio for the other FF 13 games (13-2 and Lightning Returns) were even more skewered towards the PS3 than the 360!

By the end of last generation JRPGs were more or less PS3 exclusives in North America outside a handheld of Wii games (like Xenoblade and The Last Story).  Also why Dynasty Warriors have never been super popular outside Japan it's been a series closely tied to "PlayStation" since the PS2 days.  It's like how Metal Gear Solid is multi-platform now but sells primarily on Sony hardware (or how Call of Duty always performed better on the 360 than it did on the PS3).

I can understand SE's decision on neglecting the PS3 version.  The PS3 is dead outside Japan and software sales for the PS3 have plummeted as the most active PS3 users jumped ship to the PS4.  In terms of pure software sold the PS4 was the overall software winner in 2014 and the PS4 has sold the most software, every month, in 2015.  The PS3 sells the least amount of games out of the four PlayStation and Xbox consoles currently on the market (PS3, PS4, 360, and XB1) and typically brings in a single-digital percentage of software sales.

Just look at this month's NPD:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1126836

The PS3 SKU is dead last for every game except for Metal Gear Solid 5 (where it only outsold the 360 version, but that goes back to what I stated above about Metal Gear being tied together with PlayStation systems) and Minecraft (a kids oriented game and most kids have a cheaper 360 or PS3 to play Minecraft instead of a much more expensive XB1 or PS4). 

Simply put a PS3 or XB1 version of DQ Heroes will likely add no meaningful sales.  Obviously it would sell MORE with a PS3 or XB1 version but the difference is most likely measured in the tens of thousands and not the hundreds of thousands.  It would be like SE releasing DQ 7 3DS in North America and deciding to make a Vita port as well.  That Vita port isn't going to magically double the DQ 7's overall sales. ;)   In fact the Vita version would be lucky to sell a quarter of what the 3DS version sold.

Now all that said I'm not saying a PS4-only release is right; I just am saying I can understand why SE didn't bother to localize the PS3 version or port the game over to the XB1.  I feel for PS3 and XB1 owners that want to play the game.

I try not to be a "consolist". (Like racism but with consoles, hopefully that makes sense)

The XBone is really a good system, has a controller that feels very good in the hands and the graphics look great.

Has some exclusive games I want (like RARE Replay and Forza)

Problem is, the PS4 is already all of that. It's not like SNES vs Genesis. It's even less different than PS3 / 360. Correct me if i'm wrong though.

So while the XBone has its exclusives, the PS4 has them too. Maybe DQ Heroes is one of those.

But in a scenario where the XBone was really popular and this game had guaranteed sales, well, all the better for the series!

But I'd be a bit sad, because I have an irresistible urge to play all versions of a game I like, so it's best to keep my wallet happy.

I try not to be a "consolist". (Like racism but with consoles, hopefully that makes sense)

The XBone is really a good system, has a controller that feels very good in the hands and the graphics look great.

Problem is, the PS4 is already all of that. It's not like SNES vs Genesis. It's even less different than PS3 / 360. Correct me if i'm wrong though.

So while the XBone has its exclusives, the PS4 has them too. Maybe DQ Heroes is one of those.

But in a scenario where the XBone was really popular and this game had guaranteed sales, well, all the better for the series!

But I'd be a bit sad, because I have an irresistible urge to play all versions of a game I like, so it's best to keep my wallet happy.

You just have to play to the crowd. More people that are likely to play this game are on the PS4, both here and Japan than the Xbox One would be.

Well I think it comes down to the XB1 has no presence in Japan and the PS4 does.  Both Dragon Quest and Dynasty Warriors/Musou are popular in Japan.

So PlayStation, Dragon Quest, and Musou are all popular in Japan so there you go.  No more, no less.  

There's no reason to make an Xbox version to sell in Japan and I don't see SE or Tecmo Koei are going to bother with an Xbox version to sell outside Japan.  The development team has probably already transitioned to DQH 2 anyway and the English localization team isn't going to port the game over to a new system.

Only games I'd get for an XBone if I had one would be Killer Instinct and Rare Replay. Even if DQ Heroes was on the console, it wouldn't be enough to warrant a purchase.

Only games I'd get for an XBone if I had one would be Killer Instinct and Rare Replay. Even if DQ Heroes was on the console, it wouldn't be enough to warrant a purchase.

I'd like to play Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and the new Gears of War (when it's out) if I had an XB1.  But I'm not going to buy an XB1 just for a handful of games since the PS4 and XB1 are so similar.  Street Fighter 5 offsets Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3 is on PC, Rise of the Tomb Raider is coming out on PS4 next year, and as much as I like Gears of War I like Naughty Dog games (Uncharted and The Last of Us) ten times more.

The problem with PlayStation and Xbox is that they are so similar these days.  It's not like the Genesis and Super NES where each system was awesome but had vastly different libraries.  PS4 and XB1 are like 95% the same console.

Good points Bob, but a few things.

The PS4, in the US and Europe, has about 1/3 the installbase of the PS3.  So even though there are greater sales movement heading to the PS4, it's impossible to make a judgement call, because there aren't that many A, AA, and AAA games on the PS4 to begin with, and there isn't much of a spread of games of various varieties on the PS4 as of yet.  Meaning there isn't much data for all specific genres and sales differentials to really showcase the difference between PS4 and PS3, or to even suggest that the PS3 would have been a loss, or a waste of time, as sales would somehow have magically been lower.  We don't know.  It depends on the audience of the PS3 that has yet to buy a PS4, and what types of games they're holding out for.  That is impossible to determine.  By going only PS4, SE effectively cut them off from as high as 2/3rds more players, to 3/4ths or perhaps even a lower overall number of PS4 owners who have a PS3...depending on how many PS4 players owned PS3.  It's difficult to determine system integration.

Some gamers are like me...we don't care what system we own, only what games are on those systems.  So I might get a 360 one season, but a PS4 the next, because I prefer the 360 options to the PS3, and I prefer the PS4 options to the Xbone.

===

Xbox One is substantially less powerful than the PS4.  The difference is even greater than the PS3 versus 360 debate, where the PS3 had the edge in processing, but the 360 had the edge in graphics processing and better RAM integration, on top of using architecture most game developers were accustomed to, while there is yet to be even one game released that ever fully utilized the PS3's Cell.

So technically, the game would see a slight downgrade, but the architecture is similar, meaning it wouldn't have taken much to port.  That said, it's a feasible argument to say it would amount to little...however, a lot of Xbox users are PC gamers, NOT Nintendo, NOT Playstation...not traditional console gamers.  Most Xbox and 360 owners I know have never owned another console prior to the 360 or Xbox original.  They were PC gamers who transitioned to consoles because it was cheaper and more convenient.  Not all, but a good deal.  It's impossible to say how many, but the entire industry expanded fantastically with the PS2/Xbox/GC/DC era, and many Xbox loyalists don't give too shits about Nintendo or Sony, and based on the way the console wars have gone, and the commentary, one would think they've never bothered playing either, they just stick with their Xbox or 360, or Xbox One.

My point being, there is a lot of potential gamers who are totally unexperienced with JRPG's in general, and Musou, but who play games that aren't so dissimilar to the Musou model, and yet like RPG elements.  So there's a very solid chance that the Xbox One would have garnered interest from eyes not accustomed to many JRPG's, but would be more prone to trying THIS game over other JRPG's.

I say a potential 3x because of the hatred most traditional JRPG fans outside of Japan, have, for Musou style of gameplay.  Which is pure hack and slash, with some RPG elements thrown in (DQH so far being the heaviest RPG oriented of the model), making it a hack'n'slash JRPG.  So the model outside of Japan, is less appealing to most of us who are experienced in these sorts of games.  So our eyes and way of seeing JRPG's makes us less likely to prefer the model of gameplay.  Thus there's a very good chance that an audience, which has FAR less exposure to JRPG as a model, but is FAR more prone to playing Hack n Slash, beat-em up, and other games with repetitive gameplay that is more styled to Arcade fun...or that is more similar to shooter's in terms of pacing, but with more stuff to slaughter, and has the whole sword and sorcery dynamic, might be more inclined, to find it appealing.

I'm just saying.  There's no way to know, but I don't think my analysis on the potential is too far off, even given your data, which, frankly, is shallow, as it's general, not specific to comparing various gameplay elements that would make DQH more attractive to an Xbone audience.

The PS3 is dead outside Japan and the 360 is dead everywhere.  Sales of the gen 7 consoles absolutely tanked after the release of the gen 8 systems (minus the Wii, which was dead a good year [at least] prior to the Wii U launching).  Yes I get that there is 80+ million PS3s out there in the wild, but how many of those are "active" in the sense that they are being used as a primary game machine and not a) traded in towards a new system, b) "moved into the bedroom" for Netflix/Blu-Ray, or c) broken and/or replacement units?  The only country where the PS3 still has a somewhat meaningful presence is Japan.  Everywhere else the PS3 and the 360 are on their last legs.  Hell the 360 turns ten years old next month LOL.

If you want to get into the fan bases' historic buying habits, the Xbox and Xbox 360 have predominantly been "American" platforms.  There is no long history of Japanese-styled games being popular on the systems (minus the heavily Westernized ones like the recent Resident Evil games).  Even Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive, the two most prominent Japanese franchises on the Xbox and Xbox 360 both a) struggled to sell a million units and b) have since found home on Sony's platforms anyway.  Heck both Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive are Tecmo franchises (and Koei Tecmo is the maker of the Musou games).  The long running joke is that Xbox owners are Mountain Dew-guzzling, "Dudebros" that play nothing but military shooters (hence all the "Shooterbox" remarks thrown at the Xbox over the last decade).  The signature franchises on Xbox are Halo, Call of Duty, and Gears of War.

And yes I am fully aware that the PS3 and PS4 are way more "Westernized" consoles than the PS1 and PS2 were but that's because the industry as a whole is a lot more "Western" focused.  I'm in no way trying to imply that PS3/PS4 gamers don't play Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, or Grand Theft Auto, but if you compare the PS3/PS4's library to the 360/XB1's library you'll see Japanese games are more prominent on the PlayStation consoles than they are on the Xbox ones.  I mean it's just a cold hard fact.  It's not an option - it's a fact.

As for "Xbox gamers aren't console games; they are PC gamers," that might have been true when the original Xbox launched a decade and a half ago but there's an entire generation of gamers that grew up on the Xbox and 360 that never even touched a PC game.  Two of my newphews and my son, all aged 8-13, are HUGE Xbox gamers and rarely ever even been on a PC (they do all their YouTube stuff on tablets lol) and I know those three kids aren't the exception. :P

All that said Square-Enix aren't stupid.  If there was money to be made with an Xbox One version Square-Enix would do it.  Hell just look at Final Fantasy Type-0.  It's very much hack-n-slash and more action-oriented, so it should appeal to "Western" gamers.  The XB1 version sold a third of what the PS4 version sold in North America and the Xbox audience is supposedly the same audience that is more prone to action and hack-n-slash.  That's not a statement I would agree with given the best hack-n-slash type game (outside Diablo) is God of War and the biggest action franchise is Uncharted and those are both Sony exclusive franchises.

The biggest elephant in the room though is the nearly 2:1 (if it's not already more than 2:1) the PS4 has over the XB1.  The last we heard of PS4 sales was 25 million as of June 2015.  Microsoft hasn't given an accurate XB1 shipment total in well over a year (because it's much lower than the PS4's).  The most accurate guess works put the XB1 at ~13 million, give or take a million.  Now given the huge gap in the PS4's favor the notion that an XB1 version could DOUBLE or TRIPLE the game's sales is utter foolishness.  

I mean with a nearly 2:1 PS4-to-XB1 ratio an XB1 version of the game would be considerably lucky to even equal the PS4 version - and even that is completely unrealistic.  It would be like Call of Duty selling better on the PS3 last generation than the 360.  It didn't happen because a) the 360 was more popular than the PS3 in NA and b) shooters were more popular on the 360 than on the PS3.

Sorry if I came across sounding like an ass. =)

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah one last thing is that I think third-party exclusives are stupid in this day and age (and I argued this before in the "Which system is getting DQ 11" topic over the summer :P), especially between the PS4 and the XB1 given how easy they are for porting.

I've also said in other threads that every publisher should be releasing their games on Steam.  That goes for Square-Enix and Koei Tecmo as well (I keep wanting to call them Tecmo Koei...).  Unless you are being hooked up by one of the big three (Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony) in some fashion or another making your games available to the widest audience is the smartest thing to do.

The only thing I was trying to debate is WHY Square-Enix is releasing the game as as PS4 exclusive in the West.  I'm not trying to justify their decision; just trying to understand it.  If I had it my way all of SE's 3DS titles would be released in the West on the 3DS, the Vita, and mobile to reach the biggest audience possible.  I would argue that their PS4 games should be PS4, XB1, and PC releases for that very same reason.

http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2015/USA/

PS4, 2015, software, YTD: 12m

PS3, 2015, software, YTD: 8m

http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2015/Europe/

PS4, 2015, software, YTD: 15m

PS3, 2015, software, YTD: 11m

Yes, the PS4 is selling at 1.5x the rate of the PS3, but there are still ample PS3 sales to suggest people are willing to buy PS3 releases in the US and Europe.  Of course this is VGchartz, so discrepencies can be within a +/- 2~10% range usually (some are WAY off, but usually these are JRPGs), but most major retailers offer data over time, so many of those numbers are pretty accurate, especially over time after retailer numbers are added.  The exceptions seem to be Japanese companies, where it's iffy, especially from Nintendo, but for Sony/MS, they're more likely to be accurate in the US/EU.

The point is, there are still ample PS3 game sales to warrant the PS3 release.

You're making a pointless argument to defend a position that SE knows full well was a gamble.  Sure PS4 sales are going to be higher, and that's a definite as time goes on, and many PS3 gamers buying up games are waiting out really low prices, and major sales to get rid of backstock.  Most of the major titles have already been released, and have already been bought up, and any PS3 owner with a PS4 will go for the PS4 game.  That's not the argument I'm making.

You are making this argument that somehow the sales differential, which is already faulty btw, as many companies are now going XBone/PS4 without 360/PS3 versions now, would be substantial.  Evidence says no.  Installbase says no.  SE loses out on any potential sale of a PS3 owner who doesn't want to buy a PS4 yet.  Period.  I'm not sure where you come off attempting to circumvent these elements and downplay them just to make your argument on how smart SE is for going PS4 exclusive.  They're LOSING MONEY through this, as it FORCES people who haven't bought a PS4 yet to buy one.

For your argument over PS3 sales to be substantial, the differential would have to be substantially higher.  PS4 sales would have to be closer to 3x greater than PS3 game sales.

Nevermind the fact that a number of games are no longer going 7th gen, and only going 8th gen.

Nintendo is another matter entirely, as we're talking purely Nintendo versus Nintendo releases, and virtually all Wii releases have been sold out, with no new game releases.  Even the PS3 and X360 game sales slags can be blamed as much for reduction of content releases as much as the market penetration of the current gen.

I'll concede the point on the 360.  I checked for Musou games, and found a couple on the 360.  Sales are about even to slightly higher on Sony consoles, depending.  Even with the Toriyama factor, it's a mixed bag, with most 360 games outselling PS3 Dragonball games, but only by about 20~30%, and the current gen, the PS4 is outselling in the only DBZ release, the Xbone by nearly double (though sales are pretty paltry, suggesting people are actually tired of Toriyama, or Dragonball anything.

I was being a condescending dick.  I'm sorry about that.  I'm trying to comb this post for that as well.  I think I know why people keep ignoring most of my posts these days...I really am becoming more and more a jackass.  I'll leave the boards for a bit, it's about time I did anyway.

Edited by ignasia7

I'm still kind of shocked MS didn't do any kind of deal with SE for well...

Any kind of DQ exclusive on a XB1.

'cause it would help sales immensely. 

I'm still kind of shocked MS didn't do any kind of deal with SE for well...

Any kind of DQ exclusive on a XB1.

'cause it would help sales immensely. 

Microsoft can't make a deal that Square-Enix has to agree with.

Dragon Quest is a Japanese franchise.  That's it.  The Xbox is dead in Japan (under 60,000 units after thirteen months on the market there).  Outside Microsoft paying to have the game made (like we saw last gen with Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey) it's not going to happen.  

And it's not going to happen for two reasons: 

1) Nothing can save the Xbox One in Japan so there's no point in wasting tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, of dollars trying to save it

and 2) Dragon Quest isn't a franchise worth investing into as far as North America or Europe goes.

Microsoft know they can't be successful in Japan and if they want to be successful in North America and Europe they sure as hell aren't going to partner up with the Dragon Quest franchise lol.  They will make deals for Call of Duty, Fallout 4, Madden, Fifa, Titanfall, or Assassin's Creed.  Microsoft "betting on Dragon Quest" would be like Nintendo money-hatting EA for exclusive publishing rights for Madden football in Japan.

And igy don't worry about it.  I was very much an $#!&$#! in my reply and I have tried to "edit out the dickness" as much as I can LOL.  You know I love ya man.  I was just in an agitated mode earlier and looking for any direction to vent for a bit.

I'm super tired now and I have to be up in five hours so I am going to bed.  I'll rebuttal your last post tomorrow if I have anything to really add to what you wrote.  I'll just state again, and FOR THE RECORD, I am not anti-PS3/XB1/Steam version for this game.  Nothing would make me happier than to see DQH on all the current consoles (PS3 included) as well as Steam and for the game to sell a million+ copies in North America and Europe!  That is my personal and official stance on the matter LOL.

As far as the western markets go, sure.

But to bring up sales in JP? If I were a MS rep, I'd go to SE and pitch to them an idea for DQ on the XB1 for a JAPANESE release to drum up system sales there.

But to bring up sales in JP? If I were a MS rep, I'd go to SE and pitch to them an idea for DQ on the XB1 for a JAPANESE release to drum up system sales there.

But the Japanese market isn't worth saving.  Even Nintendo and Sony can't sell consoles in Japan anymore.  

Look at all that money Microsoft poured into Japan last generation by funding and money-hatting Tales of Vesparia, Star Ocean 4, Blue Dragon, and Last Odyssey.  It got them nowhere.  Even after all the money Microsoft spent bribing Japanese publishers the 360 only sold 1.5 million units compared to the 10 million PlayStation 3s that were sold there that cost Sony zero dollars to get Japanese publishers on board.  

The Xbox has always been "too American" in design which is why the only markets it has ever really been super successful in are the US and the UK.  Even throughout Europe the 360 was outsold by the PS3 almost 2:1 (and that's with the PS3 launching nearly a year and a half after the 360 in Europe).  To give an insight on just how badly Microsoft is doing in Europe Sony has a 70-90% marketshare in every European country outside the UK.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-ps4-is-dominating-europe-no-plans-for-price-c/1100-6428532/

"Sony: PS4 Is Dominating Europe, No Plans for Price Cut

PlayStation 4 has a 70-90 percent marketshare in Europe, according to executive Jim Ryan

"We have a very significant market leadership," the executive explained. "We have market leadership in every country in Europe, and have very significant market leadership in continental Europe. Extremely significant. I don't think marketshare's any less than 70 percent, and frequently greater than 90 percent in continental Europe."

Now knowing full well that the XB1 is getting its ass thoroughly killed throughout all of Europe which do you think is more concerning to Microsoft?  Turning things around in Japan or turning things around across Europe?

I know this post is "too long; didn't read" but Dragon Quest is just a brand that has very little strategic value to MS.  The XB1 is dead in Japan (worst-selling system of the 2000s) and Microsoft is more focused on reclaiming Europe (hence why they actually bothered to show up to Gamescom this year lol).  Phil Spencer (head of the Xbox division) even flat-out stated that they "needed to do better in Europe."

I'd imagine you'd irritate a lot of the fanbase, because if a majority of the people who want the game find out it's on the system they don't own and did not plan on owning, there will be complaining all the way. Who knows how many people will actually buy it? This is Dragon Quest though, so I don't know how much weight my statement has. Related, but only slightly: Remember when Square Enix wanted to have a more ARPG combat system with DQIX? Most of the user base rose up against that if I remember correctly, and they made it a turn based system again. You can kinda see remnants of that with how the battles play out with everyone running around on the field. Again, not wholly relevant, but it would be that kind of backlash.