Sign in to follow this  
Piotyr

Has dragon quest 4s party chat ever been ripped or transcribed?

I beat Dragon quest 4 on ds and I don't feel like playing it again on mobile, anyone ever make a rip/transcribe the party chat dialog? I saw the only open translation but its incomplete.

It's on my to do list to make a game script for 4ds/mobile version, unfortunately it's pretty far down the list. I'm still working on 7ps, and I'd kinda like to work on 8 after that. Though, I might work on 8 and the DS games together. If I need a break from one game I can move to the other. Either way, I'm probably a couple years away from having any kind of transcription for 4ds.

But having said that... I think I have the party chat files from the mobile game. I wonder if I could quickly make it into a text dump for you to at least peruse the text. Lemme see what I can do.

Cool! Thanks so much! This is a rather selfish request because I don't really intend to use it for anything other than my own completionist nature and saving myself 40 hours of an rpg when I could be playing 5.

DQ4 probably wouldn't take all that long, considering it's length. Although, admittedly I haven't tested the length of it when party chat is actually an option

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

I know, I know, I promised this over a week ago. I got sidetracked. :( Anyway, here's the party chat. It's still very, very raw. A tiny bit of code is left in there. Lines kinda run together a little. And I haven't quite figured out the patterns yet. But it's all there.

Secondly, you're right, Aust, the main game for 4 isn't all that long especially compared to 5, 6, or 7. But they have added a few NPCs here 'n there. And the backtracking and party chat does increase the ... insanity a little when I'm doing a game script. I do intend to get to this game at some point, but 7 is taking up all my DQ time now. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting so much brighter now. ;)

Party Chat.txt

Wow, how'd you pull that out?

I had help... It was a few months back... Gosh, who was it?

@KING ZENITH: If you're monitoring this, were you the one that found all the text files in the mobile's apk or something? Yeah, I think he sent them to me and I found where the party chat files were. Then I just used Notepad++ to copy and paste them into one text file.

But I think GHANMI was the one who said the DS (and probably mobile) games had easy to find text. Tinke tool is what you use to find the DS script files.

Yes, AerynB told me that GHANMI told her that the script files were very accessible inside the mobile games' APK files.  I extracted the APK (using 7-zip) then just noodled through the folder structure until I found it).

For DQ4, the path is:

com.square_enix.android_googleplay.dq4\assets\msg\en\*

The script is split into many different files and the party chat starts at file: b0500000.mpt

DQ5 and DQ6 are structured very similarly.  DQ1 - 3 are on lock-down, so no script dumps from those mobile games (yet).  DQ8 is structured very differently, but the text is all there.

"Noodled." That's a funny way of putting it.

Folks, King Zenith was relentless! :) He was going to find me the text if it killed him. ;)

Huh. That's actually pretty cool.

"Noodled." That's a funny way of putting it.

Folks, King Zenith was relentless! :) He was going to find me the text if it killed him. ;)

You're too kind ;)  That must have been back when I had spare time.  It was the calm before the storm at work.  Here's hoping things return to "normal" so I can get back to the most important work.  Map making, or script dumping, guide writing, contest making... heck, even contest participating.  Anything DQ!

Anyway, I better get back to it befor...  Uh-oh! The boss is coming...

Snap18.png

We all need to work together and crack open DQ1-3 mobile. I want to to the music and graphics, it sounds like AerynB wants to get at the script files, I'm sure there are other uses too. Maybe we could backport DQ3's tilesets to DQ1 and 2, since those ones look like ass.

I would love to have those script files. I really enjoyed this localization. :)

I can't believe I forgot to say thank you, just downloaded the file and thought nothing else. Well thank you sir! Forgive my rudeness.

You're welcome. :) I hope you can sift through it well enough. It'll be a lot better once I get it into a game script format.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 10/28/2015 at 9:23 AM, King Zenith said:

Yes, AerynB told me that GHANMI told her that the script files were very accessible inside the mobile games' APK files.  I extracted the APK (using 7-zip) then just noodled through the folder structure until I found it).

For DQ4, the path is:

com.square_enix.android_googleplay.dq4\assets\msg\en\*

The script is split into many different files and the party chat starts at file: b0500000.mpt

DQ5 and DQ6 are structured very similarly.  DQ1 - 3 are on lock-down, so no script dumps from those mobile games (yet).  DQ8 is structured very differently, but the text is all there.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was curious about the script files for IV-VI mobile myself. Got the apk and unzipped it, but I can't seem to find these MPT files you're talking about. I don't see a \msg\en directory either. Mind sharing what you used? I tried looking through the files with UnityEX.

Edited by Choppasmith

Give me about a week and a half and I'll have this organized by chapter and character. Anyone got any recommendations for how to upload this once it's finished? I can't remember the file size limit for the den as well as pastepin.

On 4/8/2019 at 5:53 PM, Burner said:

Give me about a week and a half and I'll have this organized by chapter and character. Anyone got any recommendations for how to upload this once it's finished? I can't remember the file size limit for the den as well as pastepin.

I don't think the script could be that big could it? I think putting all the files in a zip (specifically 7zip having good compression) should work here just fine.

On 4/15/2019 at 2:54 PM, Choppasmith said:

I don't think the script could be that big could it? I think putting all the files in a zip (specifically 7zip having good compression) should work here just fine.

So far the party chat weighs in at a little over 200kb on my end, so you're right. I've opened a thread for it in the zenithian section but I'll post it here for exposure. I haven't had time to type up the context yet, but that should take only a month or so. What I have done is organize by chapter an alphabetically for easier reading.

4 party chat.odt