Dragon Quest of the Stars is here

Even though it's region locked on the Japanese Google Play Store, the game itself is not region restricted. Once you have the apk, it'll let you download the game's data even in the US without a VPN.

You can get the apk here:

http://apkpure.com/%E6%98%9F%E3%81%AE%E3%83%89%E3%83%A9%E3%82%B4%E3%83%B3%E3%82%AF%E3%82%A8%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88/com.square_enix.hoshinodqjp

How to set up Dragon Quest of the Stars.

1. Install the apk file.

2. Open the game.

3. Install the game data.

4. Once the game data is installed, turn on your VPN.

5. Start a new game.

6. Create your character, go through it till you get to the map.

7. Completely exit the game.

8. Open the game without the VPN turned on. It does a connection check every once in a while. If it tells you that you can't connect, completely exit the game and try again. Eventually it will let you connect.

Edited by DranzerX13

I forgot all about this. I guess I'll give it a try.

Edit: I keep getting a notice to download a 700 KB file and I've tried to download it three times now.

2e11df923e.jpg

Edited by Safushi

I figured out that yes you do need a VPN, but only to get passed the part where you click new game. After you get to character creating, you can disconnect your VPN and play the game. After that, you don't need to use your VPN anymore. You can start up the game anytime without a VPN.

Edited by DranzerX13

I take that back, you do have to use it every time to enter the game, and that's it. Once you're in the game, you can disconnect your VPN and start playing. It hasn't disconnected me once after I turned it off.

Edited by DranzerX13

I forgot all about this. I guess I'll give it a try.

Edit: I keep getting a notice to download a 700 KB file and I've tried to download it three times now.

2e11df923e.jpg

Yeah, that did me in too.

VPN is a deal breaker. No dancing with the DQ stars for me.

Alright, after several tests in the game, this is the scoop...

The first time you load the game, you HAVE to have your VPN turned on when you click new game. After that, once you finish creating your character and have access to the map, exit out of the game completely, turn off your VPN. Open the game again, it should let you connect without it, if it doesn't completely exit the game and try again. It seems it only does a connection check every once in a while. I turned on the game without my VPN succesfully 5 times just now and have been playing it without it disconnecting on me for sure.

Edited by DranzerX13

I knew I was right. I just logged in to the game today on 4G without the VPN, and it let me in. But the weird thing is, that message you get when you can't connect to the game says nothing about being region locked or whatever, just to be around a better connection.

Use Vypr VPN by goldenfrog, it gives you a free 3 day trial at full speed. It has a PC and mobile app, and extremely easy to use.

https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn

For the Android app, once downloaded, it's as easy as finding your target country, click and connect, then enjoy.

Edited by DranzerX13

I'm going to write a little bit about the game in case someone is on the fence about playing.

The game is very interesting. Battles are pretty much auto attacks until a meter fills up that lets you do a special move depending on what weapon you have equipped (I think).You don't walk on the over like a traditional DQ game, its more along the lines of DQM: SL. I'm probably not going to any more of the game since playing a game in a language I don't understand is confusing. If some how Garena or whoever translates the game then I'll deffinatly give it another try.

Some screen shots. 

f6d3cc2cc0.jpg
38ab7fe96b.jpg
518ff6453e.jpg

The apk has been updated. Without the new apk, it won't let you on. Use the Qooapp to get the update. Make sure you disable Qooapp after getting the necessary update because you don't want it running any other time because it will prevent your phone from sleeping. I just updated and it works fine for me now.

• 3 weeks later...

Using VPN worked fine for me at first, but I've been running into issues in just the past week or two also.  Sad to say I've all but given up on playing this.  Hope they see fit to release this for the global market, really is a fantastic game.

Had to download another update but after all of that was done I could play the game again. But the VPN requirement means I don't play often.