As for DQ Heroes, I never played a "Warriors" type game before (Mosuo or whatever they are called) but I am really happy with DQ Heroes. I find it's a high quality spin-off. I would kill for a "Final Fantasy Heroes" game after DQH 2 to be honest. I think I might give Hyrule Warriors a shot as well.

This is only the second or third Musou game I've played. First was an Orochi Warriors game that was ok. Then other was a Fist of the North Star Musou. While I love FotNS, it did the entire manga story, but man, was the game play awful. my love of FotNS was the only thing that kept me playing it.  DQ Heroes is a great game made even greater by the fact it's a DQ title as well.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Her Twitter profile says "plays Final Fantasy too much." See, there's the problem right there. Wishing her all the best treatment and a speedy recovery!

Here you go, short and sweet.   Jessica's cleavage accurately rendered. - 11/10

I checked all their reviews and all the PS4 they reviewed got a 0, while all the Wii U games got a 10.   

Aeris' death just had me confused. It was not very dramatic, the game didn't seem to care much, just as you said that Cloud didn't seem to care.

To make a fair comparison that's still within the series, in Final Fantasy 2, NES, characters' death scenes were handled with much more care and left an impact on me, it all feels like it means something. Final Fantasy 4 also handled this subject very carefully and touching, I don't know why FF7 had to abandon that touch and just force things happen.

OoT is a great game though, especially on 3DS. I like it a lot, but not more than A Link to the Past or Link's Awakening, or the Oracles games, or Minish Cap, or Majora's Mask ...

Yes Link's Adventure is underrated.

I don't take reviews seriously, ever.
Common people still think that Final Fantasy 7 and The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time are the best games evar, what can I expect?

...common people? Really?

You know, THOSE people. The ones that think Aeris' death was the most tragic event in an RPG storyline.
The ones that think big swords means the game's good, that Sephiroth is the most epic villain in any game (or movie since FF7 also has movies).
And the ones that vote Tifa on silly "sexiest fictional character" polls.
Since these dirty peasants are everywhere online, they are commoners.

OK, jokes aside, I just meant the majority.

While it's not the greatest RPG ever (and it's not even the best Final Fantasy) FF 7 is a damn good game. Even if you dislike the game for whatever reason (main reason is probably because of the fanboys)

Oh, nah, I like FF 7 too, It had a lot of great things, it's just that its fans seem to never have played FF 6 or other better games in general ^_^

To put it in numbers, where FF4 and 6 on SNES are 11/10, and FF1 and FF3 on NES are 10/10, FF7 is in between a 8 or 9/10.

FF7 is more playable than FF2, but FF2 had way better story, and lack of embarrassing characters / minigames / dialogue.

Edited by kleev_55

Yea, Dustin's still around!

Jim's okay. I don't personally find his YouTube personality appealing, but I've got no beef with him.

I don't care for him. At all. I've never seen anything witty, insightful, funny, or positive come from him. He just stands at a podium and shouts $#!&. He doesn't do anything original. He doesn't make anything. He's a nasty person, and yet people pay him 11.5k a month. I don't get it. It's just part of the overall tiresome snooty and snarky gaming personalties. It's part of why I made the joke upthread. Instead of the simple fact that someone didn't do a good job this time, no, there has to be some overreaching hatred for this, that, and the other.

Edited by Dwaine

I disagree with Link's Adventure being underrated. It's rated pretty fairly. It's not a bad game but it has more flaws than any other title in the franchise. Still I loved the world map and visiting the towns and everything.

Aerith's death (and yes I'm using "Aerith" instead of "Aeries" lol) seemed to be handled decently enough. I played through the entire game last month when the iOS version came out and it still got to me. It's certainly more dramatic than FF 4's constant "I will sacrifice myself to save the party - syke not dead yet!" over and over again. Only one person actually does throughout the entire game even though over half the cast has death scenes...

My favorite death scene is from FF 5 though. So much feels. :(

Oh, nah, I like FF 7 too, It had a lot of great things, it's just that its fans seem to never have played FF 6 or other better games in general ^_^

To put it in numbers, where FF4 and 6 on SNES are 11/10, and FF1 and FF3 on NES are 10/10, FF7 is in between a 8 or 9/10.

FF7 is more playable than FF2, but FF2 had way better story, and lack of embarrassing characters / minigames / dialogue.

FF 2 did have a great story, especially for an NES game.  It was pretty dark for its time too.

I didn't find any of FF 7's characters embarrassing though.  I thought each was pretty well designed (blatant racism/stereotypical stuff with Barret aside).  It's FF 8 where the franchise started getting ridiculous with its characters and really hit rock bottom with FF 10...  I replayed FF 10 on the HD Collection and man talk about a game that has not aged well.  The game play is still ace but everything else.... sheesh. :P

But yeah FF 7 had a bad translation and the dialog is kinda wonky but nostalgia is a hell of a drug I suppose.  

As for Jim Sterling, well I always found his videos entertaining to watch but nine times out of ten I never agreed with his stance.  He makes some good points here and there but I dunno.  Sometimes it just seems like he's looking for controversy.   

FF 2 did have a great story, especially for an NES game.  It was pretty dark for its time too.

Yup! Even with today's standards!

I thought each was pretty well designed (blatant racism/stereotypical stuff with Barret aside)

;)

Well Cait Sith might as well not even be in the game.

Same for Vincent. (And thanks to him, we had a horrible spin off)

It's FF 8 where the franchise started getting ridiculous with its characters

Yes. HOWEVER... if you think about it, this is FF7's fault. Many characters in FF8 are a lamer counterpart of FF7's. Cloud - Squall, Yuffie - Selphie, Tifa - Rinoa.

They dropped quality a little in FF7 from previous games and went in favor of graphics.

Then they said "Whaaat? This formula is successful?? Oh man, disregard story and characters and put whatever in there, it is graphics we must focus on."

That's what they've been doing since then, so, while FF7 is a great game itself, it's the one that started the committing of sins, and it's been taken them far too long to fix the mess. (1997 to 2015 is almost 20 years if my math isn't going crazy) yet the SNES era, which is the BETTER era, only lasted like 3 years.

Edited by kleev_55

Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks 7 has an awful translation. THAT was what prevented me from playing it any farther than I did.

While Zelda is on the table OoT is still my favorite of the series. I've enjoyed all the Zelda games, but I find myself going back and replaying OoT much more. Must be over 20 times by now, or at least it feels like it...yet it's just as fun every time.

OoT is so fun to revisit so I won't hold that against you. Both OoT and FF 7 are masterpieces, even if they are overrated as hell haha.

Cait Sith sucks but Reeves was a cool cat (terrible pun). He's like the Mog or Umaro of FF 7. He's just kinda there. Vincent is awesome though (at least in that 90's grunge-angst kinda way). The entire "Compilation of FF 7" is utter garbage though (Crisis Core and Advent Childen included).

FF 8 had some cool characters though. Actually I'd say I like the cast as a whole. I just dislike Squall's design. It was tolerable but was the beginning of the "belt fetish" and resulted in Lulu's cringe worthy design. Quistis, Zell, and Irvine are all bad asses and Selphie is actually my favorite of the "annoying ADHD teenage girl" group (Yuffie, Selphie, Rikku, and Vanille*). Selphie's pretty hilarious in the game. Some of her pre-Facebook status updates on the computer are incredible.

It's really only Squall and Rinoa that I have issues with and sadly they are the main characters (kinda like Vaan and Penelo, only I adore Penelo; I think she's the nicest character in FF history).

Where FF 8 suffers is the game play (Drawing sucks and junctioning is stupid) and the story going "full retard" in disc three (and I hope no one takes offense to that phrase; it's from Tropic Thunder).

* Okay technically Vanille is like 10,000 old or some crap so she's not a teenage girl.

Side note: When I say it's my favorite, I'm not claiming OoT is "the best" Zelda game like so many others try and do. The "best" in any series is objective.

Bottom line though, OoT has always been my favorite game in the series...also Majora's Mask is too. Deku Link for life.

No I totally get what you're saying. FF 12 is my favorite Final Fantasy but it's a game with a lot of clear issues that resulted when the director was replaced (among other things). I just love how vast and open it was. It was the first FF game since the NES days that made me feel like I was going on an adventure over just watching a narrative unfold.

I think FF 6 is objectively the "best" FF though. It looked better than FF 7 when FF 7 was new, it had the best cast in the series, the game play was addictive, plenty of side quests that were actually fun instead of annoying (HELLO FF 10...), blah blah blah. FF 6 is great. :P

OoT isn't my favorite Zelda but after ALTTP it's the one I play the most. I liked Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess more than Ocarina of Time as a whole but damn if MM and TP aren't annoying as hell to replay. OoT is just "pick up and play" from start to finish with no stupid annoying crap (like sailing in Wind Waker or MM's time constraints) to bog down the game. It's not the best but it, along with ALTTP, is the most streamlined Zelda game which is why it's so easy to replay. I've probably played the game 10 times over the years and it just flows so wonderfully. I love Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask and highly enjoyed The Wind Waker (sadly never played Skyward Sword yet) but all three of those games have serious pacing issues and questionable game play designs that hinder the experience.

My beef with the newer Zelda games is that they are becoming too complex in terms of dungeon design (of course I say this knowing full well how difficult the later dungeons in the NES games were; pretty much unbeatable to young games without a guide). There's no way in hell my son can play through the Sky Palace in TP and not give up. OoT had puzzles yeah but the dungeon design was just perfect. Well maybe the Water Temple pushed it a little bit but that's about it.

Ok, glad you understand where I'm coming from. I've had it happen in the past where when I've said favorite, people have taken that as I'm saying its the best.

I feel your pain on TP's dungeons, too. I love TP and would put it in my top 5 Zelda games, but I freaking hate some of the dungeons in that game. Especially the Lake Hylia temple that requires the Zora tunic/where you get the last fused shadow. Those water based puzzles in that place still give me trouble without any help.

FF6 had quests before quests were an actual thing.  They were just part of the game world, rather than a system in place to offer more content.

6 is that game that just cleans up all the elements of all previous FF systems:

1) Very dark, detailed, and chaotic storyline with twists and turns, but no major plot holes.  Some missing and unfinished elements, but no actual holes to seemingly connected elements.

2) Great cast, and a large cast at that, with a considerable amount of character building for each, with the exception of Mog, but this sort of makes sense given Moogles are unable to speak.

3) It has specific character traits, skills and specials, all unique, and all memorable elements that make for a fun battle system, and it allows customization of characters, similar to a class system, through relics and the Esper system.  So you want Strago to be a physical powerhouse?  You want a mage Sabin?  Sure can!

4) You've got polished graphics that are some of the best 2D graphics ever created (WOW, the details in enemy designs...OMG, WOW, HOW DID THEY DO THAT?!?  No seriously...HOW DID THEY DO THAT!?!?), landing the game in the top 5 SFC/SNES games just on this factor.

5) The wierd opera house that even today is awesome.

6) Ultros.  He deserves a spot all his own.  It's all about Uncle Ulty.

7) Shadow.

8) The start of the Limit Break, and this form I think was done right, since it's not broken.

9) The soundtrack is amazing.  Not just for an SNES title.  It holds up very well today against current generation game tracks.  I still consider Dancing Mad my favourite game track of all time.  It just needs an update...a symphonic update, and a full HD remake!

The only downside to 6 is, for all the polish, there are bugs galore due to the sheer size of the game (like Stamina not factoring in battle, X-Zone and Doom always working if an enemy is in Vanish status, and Evade accidentally using the Magic Evade stat, so Force equipment = walking God), and the game is easy.  Very very easy.  The funny thing is FF7 is easier than FF6, but FF7 has that period in the beginning, where the game can actually be difficult.  The thing I love about FF9?  It draws on a similar list.

Also...Galuf :cry2:

----

I liked Wind Waker's dungeons.  Like the Tree.  It was vast, large, smart puzzles, good platforming, but was easy enough to solve, and I felt like the treck upwards was worth the journey, even if the conclusion left much to be desired.  Plus, exiting out the side, after getting the leaf, and wind surfing down to the boat was fun.

I actually enjoyed the boat in WW, but after a time it becomes annoying just due to the size of the world, and the time it takes to get anywhere.  It's one thing I like about the HD version (though I HATE the colour scheme, and prefer the original Wii's better contrast, darker darks, lighter lights...not all LIGHT colours, and better shadowing in the original, whereas it's too damn light everywhere in the HD).

I do agree though.  The older Zelda's had that sense of pick up and go.  OoT's dungeon design was solid, but LttP was...well far more complicated.  I never got lost in OoT, but LttP's Death Mountain?  It's pretty easy to find myself in a cave and see a few spot, and wonder if I had been there before, or where the hidden entrance was, or where the sets of stairs that lead to that spot might be.  OoT, for me, was fun, but overly simplistic.  It's one thing I love about WW.  The scope of dungeons.  TP...yeah, I feel you on that.  I haven't finished it yet, but it feels like they're making up for the linearity by overdoing it with dungeons.

Edited by ignasia7

OoT is still my favorite of the series. I've enjoyed all the Zelda games, but I find myself going back and replaying OoT much more. Must be over 20 times by now, or at least it feels like it...yet it's just as fun every time.

OoT is so fun to revisit so I won't hold that against you. Both OoT and FF 7 are masterpieces, even if they are overrated as hell haha.

See, I just don't get this. And I say this will replaying OoT on my 3DS. When OoT came out, it blew me away. We went from 2D A Link to the Past (much better game than OoT, to me anyway) to a full 3D world with OoT. OoT was not only revolutionary for the Zelda franchise, but revolutionary for gaming in general. I spent so many hours playing that game, going back and forth between Adult and Child Link. It was a blast.

But, as that game aged, it really declined in quality. OoT was all about the technology and not so much about the story. It seems that Nintendo has a habit of always making a "Generic Zelda Game" for each console generation as a way of being the definitive classic Zelda experience, while the immediate sequels to the entry tend to stray from the norm.. For NES, it was of course TLoZ, following by the game changer Link's Adventure. The SNES had ALttP. The N64 had OoT, followed by Majora's Mask which once again attempted to be a different type of Zelda. The Gamecube....didn't have a generic fantasy Zelda game. Wind Waker attempted to stray from the norm and it did it beautifully. In fact, I think the reason that game garnered so much hate at the time was because there was no standard Fantasy Zelda to balance out that generation (I mean, yeah Twilight Princess was a GameCube title, but it came so late in the console's life it feels strange to count it as the same gen as WW). The Wii had Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, the first of which is your standard generic fantasy title. I cannot speak about Skyward Sword, because I haven't played it.

Every one of the Standard Fantasy Zelda entries usually focus on mechanics and technology. Twilight Princess was essentially just OoT on steroids, which is why so many people loved it at the time. It was a big open world with a hell of a lot to do. To me, those games are good during their time, but don't really last across the longterm. Majora's Mask, for example, took everything great about OoT's mechanics and tech and slapped on a fantastic story with in-depth character development. I find myself returning to MM years and years after the fact, yet I have to force myself to play OoT. And to me, Twilight Princess was just a step backwards. I mean, yeah, I played it and I loved it at the time, but it didn't try anything new and it just felt like a bigger OoT, without the original Gerudo Valley theme music which was inarguably OoT's greatest achievement ;)

I understand being attached to OoT and TP for nostalgia reasons. I am attached to plenty of games for that reason even if I don't think they hold up all that well. The main reason I'm replaying OoT is to relive my childhood (and also because I beat Majora's Mask and wanted some more N64 Zelda goodness). I just don't get why people think those games are better than their innovative counterparts like Wind Waker and Majora's Mask. I mean, okay, everyone's going to like different things and I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with me. Maybe it's just me...I'm sort of sick of how saturated the whole fantasy sword n' sorcery genre is. Yes, I love my Morrowind, Dragon Quest, and my Game of Thrones, but it seems like every other day there's a new fantasy IP being thrown at me.

By no means am I saying you guys are somehow wrong for wanting to replay OoT so much. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't understand how those games can have any kind of longevity. When I replay them, I really don't feel like they hold up all that well. Maybe I'm just more invested in character development than I am mechanics.

You sound just like one of my friends...

I'm just going to walk away from this topic.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I'll give OoT one thing. That Biggoron Trading Sequence was something I wish they'd have carried over into Majora's Mask.

Yea, Dustin's still around!

I still lurk from time to time. ;) Wish I could play DQ Heroes online with you and Pendy. I really need to look into the whole DQX PC thing.

• Upvote 1

Reading this has made me proud to say that I have NEVER used a review as a factor in a purchasing choice.

Video games or otherwise?

Because for general items I'm reading the top 10 and bottom 10 Amazon reviews and Yelp! let's me know where not to eat.

Reading this has made me proud to say that I have NEVER used a review as a factor in a purchasing choice.

Well that isn't exactly something I would be proud of. But it's your money.

Sent from my MotoPod

• Upvote 1

Ah I missed the FF and Zelda talk.

I'm an odd one, I have a mix of old and new(ish) aka post FFX as favorites for both series.

Top 5 FF would be FFVI, FFIX, FFV, FFXII and FFXI (yes the MMO, Chains of Promathia was utterly fantastic and add in the other expansions)

Top 5 Zelda would be A Link to the Past, Majora's Mask, Oracle of Ages/Seasons (I can't separate these), Skyward Sword (yes, but I loved the origin story and the motion control gameplay), and A Link Between Worlds.

Zelda is my second favorite series after DQ though, there's not a canon/main game I don't like.

Yes even The Adventure of Link, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

The amount of times I have already heard "How much does she bounce?" is already too many.

They are "bolted on" compared to VIII ;) This is about as much as you get.

jessica2.gif

• Upvote 1

The amount of times I have already heard "How much does she bounce?" is already too many.

They are "bolted on" compared to VIII ;) This is about as much as you get.

You know what? I am okay with that. She is the best healer in the game, too. Broken as all get out if you know how to use it properly.

I really need to play VIII.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II