Review Thread

Tiael

While I don't entirely disagree with your assessment of how she should handle her job, I think some responsibility in the responses to reviews also falls on the fans themselves. There's a sort of attachment to Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes mentality. That if a reviewer has a different opinion that goes against a majority, it's not a different opinion, they're wrong. I couldn't help but giggle at some of the comments for Gamespot's P4D review, who scored the game a 5/10, where people accused the writer of being a P3 fan. Back when whomever gave DQ VI a lower score, people here jumped on him mostly because of his comment within the review about not being an RPG fan. And in a recent Jimquisition podcast, Jim Sterling talked about the backlash for his Mad Max review because his score didn't match everyone else's.

If you look at this thread itself, no one made a peep until a review was inconsistent with the rest of them. It sucks that someone gave it a low score for spotty reasons, especially since a lot of people are counting on this game being a success, but any smart reader wouldn't weigh their decision on a single review that treats the game they're interested in (since they're reading a review for it after all) dismissively.

Dwaine replied to calm things down, though it was kind of in jest, and then things spiralled into non-sequitur posts wholly unrelated to the topic at hand.

I don't know what you're talking about.

If you look at this thread itself, no one made a peep until a review was inconsistent with the rest of them. It sucks that someone gave it a low score for spotty reasons, especially since a lot of people are counting on this game being a success, but any smart reader wouldn't weigh their decision on a single review that treats the game they're interested in (since they're reading a review for it after all) dismissively.

But there were reviews before that one that said negative things. Hers actually says positive things, too, and she gives a "not bad" rank to the game.

I did not make a peep at the other reviews because they were saying things that are true, and that might be of interest to some people to decide to buy or not to buy.

I thought I had made myself clear on why I singled her review out. I guess my English is simply not that good yet. :(

I probably missed it. I was on my phone all day so I skimmed through things until I started seeing stuff about misogyny and people getting bent out of shape and went "Am I in the right topic?"

That must have been when Dwaine's videos took over. :D

What I have missed (even after going through the thread more than twice) is if anyone really said something sexist (chances are, Dwaine saw the opportunity for the joke and used it, since some people in real life actually cry "sexism" over anything; perhaps that was the joke).

• Upvote 1

That must have been when Dwaine's videos took over. :D

What I have missed (even after going through the thread more than twice) is if anyone really said something sexist (chances are, Dwaine saw the opportunity for the joke and used it, since some people in real life actually cry "sexism" over anything; perhaps that was the joke).

Yes, and that's why I added to it by going overboard, as usual.

Also, you're English is fine.  Better than my own more often than not.  There was nothing remotely personal in your critique, and your arguments were legitimate and perfectly justifiable on nuetral grounds as to why you picked on that sole review.

Negative reviews are fine, so long as they're clearly based on a serious attempt to be objective, and that definitely came through in your points.

• Upvote 1

Congratulations to Polygon for not deducting points over Alena's costume.

• Upvote 1

Overall Metascore just got bumped up to 80.

You would be surprised as just how much impact the difference between 79 and 80 makes on game review scores. People immediately see the "7" and get nervous.

That's because 7 8 9

To be fair, 9 is a dick. It's all about 9.

I mean 9 x any number = 9 when you add up the digits. Pretentious much?

9 x 87 = 783 = 7+8+3 = 18 = 1+8 = 9

Jackassary

Sometimes I love reading the negative reviews of games just to see what people didn't like about the game in question, and I found a particular user who has an interesting thought about DQ Heroes compared to say..Hyrule Warriors.

HcAqixN.png

They're a Nintendo fanboy.

I missed this topic and don't have time to investigate, so I'll just say that these "controversies" wouldn't really be a problem if game scores went the way of the Do Do bird...but I'm pretty sure I said that before.

Just once I would like to see a woman review a game without a discussion about sexism be initiated. It seems like that world was more realistic back before everybody and their brother had internet access.

But anyway...yeah I agree with Ignasia. Regardless of whether or not a reviewer was forced to review a game, they should approach it with a level of objectivity. I know not every game is going to a reviewer's favorite genre, but they can still attempt to take themselves out of the equation. First, imagine that you play that genre. Then imagine what you might want from that genre of game and what you might hope that a game from that genre bring to the table. Totalbiscuit usually has a great ability to do this. He reviews a lot of retro-themed indie games which means he ends up covering a lot of platformers. It just so happens that he hates platformer games, but you wouldn't know it from just watching his videos.

But, yeah, I don't really have a dog in this fight because I missed most of this. Ignasia's point, out of context, seems to be one that I would take. And Cesar tends to be really fair about things, so I have an inclination to agree with what they say. Though, if I'm missing out on something, I apologize.

• Upvote 2

I couldn't have written that better myself.

• Upvote 1

Just once I would like to see a woman review a game without a discussion about sexism be initiated. It seems like that world was more realistic back before everybody and their brother had internet access.

You must only read reviews from Polygon and Kotaku. IGN, just off the top of my head, employees the occasional woman reviewer (usually just for 3DS reviews though...). And whoever that Aussie lady is that did the Last Story review for them. She's pretty good.

Sometimes I love reading the negative reviews of games just to see what people didn't like about the game in question, and I found a particular user who has an interesting thought about DQ Heroes compared to say..Hyrule Warriors.

HcAqixN.png

I checked all their reviews and all the PS4 they reviewed got a 0, while all the Wii U games got a 10.  :laugh:  :laugh:

• Upvote 3

You must only read reviews from Polygon and Kotaku. IGN, just off the top of my head, employees the occasional woman reviewer (usually just for 3DS reviews though...). And whoever that Aussie lady is that did the Last Story review for them. She's pretty good.

I pretty much steer clear of most of those sites. In fact, these days, I don't pay a lot of attention to written reviews. I was mostly just using that statement as a figure of speech through means of hyperbole, though I admit, I was probably the only one aware of that.

I get most of my reviews from trusted YouTubers. But to be honest, I don't need the opinion so much as I need to see the game in action. Unless there's as specific personality whom I know the tastes and opinions of, somebody else's opinion on a game doesn't mean much to me anymore. I used to read lots of reviews, but after feeling the need to boycott a few sites and seeing too many articles with the writer's opinions be the focus of the article (I mean, I'm not totally unrealistic, a writer's bias will creep into their work....it's just that they need to fight that off as best they can) I just stopped reading them altogether.

Personally I just skim over the reviews, and if most of them positive, then the game is probably good.

I think that's what most people do these days.

The IGN is rather bad. This is due to IGN having Tom Mcshea review it, who is known for giving games ludiciously low scores just because he feels like it. Sadly, IGN alone drops 2 points off of Metacritic.

Low Meta scores lead to lower sales, then SE looks at the sales and goes "Aren't DQ fans supposed to be more interested??? What a waste of time and money this endevour was".

• Upvote 1