Dragon Quest Heroes reactions

Yeah, I am absolutely not a fan of not being able to straight turn off the power to the PS4. If you power it off by the button on the front, you even have to do a system check on the hard drive, then the PS4 yells at you for not powering it down properly. I don't want to put it into rest mode. The interface is way better than the PS3, I will tell you that, though. I'm seeing a lot of people say it's too slow, but once you get the Zoom ability to move around points on the map, it's a whole lot better, I promise. Other stuff like combo-ing I think are fine, but maybe you'll need ot pick up abilities that lengthen attacks, add stuff on among other things. It starts getting interesting then. 

As for other spinoffs, I think it's pretty good. What else do we have to compare it to? DQ: Swords, DQ Monsters/Joker and Rocket Slime?

I think the game has done very well for what it is trying to accomplish. It's very much a Dragon Quest game. The atmosphere is amazing, and there's really not much I don't like about the game.

Edited by Bururian

Sooo... I've been thinking about getting a PS4 (already thinking ahead to DQXI) and this game really sweetens the deal. But I've been hesitant because apart from an old PS2 I owned (solely for the purpose of playing DQ8), I've never really been too attracted to Playstation. The console is pricey too and that's a factor, but mainly I'm just wondering about how much use I'll get out of it. I admit some games for the PS4 look amazing, but nothing has really motivated me to get the system like Heroes. What do you guys think? Is the PS4 worth it? Any buyer's remorse?

No regrets here! Last gen I enjoyed my PS3 waaaay more than my 360..

In terms of exclusives there's..

Journey: a very unique experience that I highly recommend.. but I don't think you should watch videos or anything, might take too much away from it.. o.o;

Uncharted Collection: eh.. Amy Hennig who had a lot to do with the Legacy of Kain series was a big creative force behind these games, which was a really strong selling point for me!

BloodBorne: Another Dark Souls/Demon's Souls type game, action adventure rpg-ish.. It took a while for me to get into it, but once I understood what was going on plot-wise, I started to enjoy it a lot more..This whole series is incredibly immersive to me..!

LittleBigPlanet 3: I haven't played this one, but the previous titles are some of the most fun co-op games I've ever played..

Eh.. those are just the ones I have experience with,  I actually didn't like The Last of Us.. Not too interested in the Infamous series, though it does look good.. Excited to play Until Dawn and The Order: 1886 sometime!

Edited by Dwapook

Other spin offs are the roguelikes (Torneco and Yangus) and Itadaki Street (a board game series that has featured DQ themes in some games).

As Bururian said, they simply cannot be compared, since each is really different. But I think Mr. Horii is very careful so all the DQ products feel like authentic DQ games.

In this one I liked how I could feel like part of the world and action. This was helped by a lot of things: voice, design, music, familiar monsters. I find it fun to see what else the game will throw at me (even though I know up until the story ends, thanks to A Japanese book I got).

Jesus, some of the protection missions that were part of the Japanese DLC quests are horrifically hard. Oh, lets fight while in a narrow corridor with mawkeepers on either side and a giant dragon in the middle with a dumb merchant who can't figure out how to STAY OUT OF THE THICK

OF THE COMBAT.

Edit: Also, obviously, I'm loving the game, since I'm at near end game quests...

Edited by Touchfuzzy
  • Upvote 1

Jesus, some of the protection missions that were part of the Japanese DLC quests are horrifically hard. Oh, lets fight while in a narrow corridor with mawkeepers on either side and a giant dragon in the middle with a dumb merchant who can't figure out how to STAY OUT OF THE THICK

OF THE COMBAT.

Edit: Also, obviously, I'm loving the game, since I'm at near end game quests...

I really have no idea how long the game is, honestly. I just reached a tower, but I also have about 25 hours logged because I've just been doing all side quests and trying to alchemise all the accessories I currently have recipes for.

I rushed through because I wanted to unlock Psaro. I've been doing all the sidequests and stuff now. I am right before the last boss (unless they pull something completely out of left field), and the only quests I have left are the ones that were Japanese DLC, and whatever quests unlock after you beat the game (I've noticed that I have a few gaps in the quest numbers.)

I rushed through because I wanted to unlock Psaro. I've been doing all the sidequests and stuff now. I am right before the last boss (unless they pull something completely out of left field), and the only quests I have left are the ones that were Japanese DLC, and whatever quests unlock after you beat the game (I've noticed that I have a few gaps in the quest numbers.)

Going by # of quests I have completed to % of overall completed quests, it sounds like there's just around 100 quests to do. I wonder how many grottoes in total there are as well. I think I have around 10 or so on my map currently.

I really wished there was the world was a bit more interactive...don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the hell out of this game but there's definitely ways to make it even better.

- More characters playable (Temporary even)

- Make more Free Exploration

- Have character not use Mind Power to open Chests lol

- Perhaps some future DLCs?

I'm already looking forward to Dragon Quest Heroes II  - can't wait to play as Maribel and Carver!

I'm really hoping the sales of this game were great so we can get more games here in the west... the first game after this I want to see is Dragon Quest VII

I mean what if --- (HUGE ENORMOUS IF) SE (Which will probably never ever happen) decided to remake VII for he PS4 with same quality as Heroes?  Just think, SE is remaking FF VII so how cool would it be if DQ VII came out the same year even if it only the 3ds release!  If that were to happen I could die a happy man.  If we get the 3ds version I would dance and sing in jubilation.  I hope we get VII soon at any rate.

Edited by Madrigal

I really wished there was the world was a bit more interactive...don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the hell out of this game but there's definitely ways to make it even better.

- More characters playable (Temporary even)

- Make more Free Exploration

- Have character not use Mind Power to open Chests lol

- Perhaps some future DLCs?

I'm already looking forward to Dragon Quest Heroes II  - can't wait to play as Maribel and Carver!

I'm really hoping the sales of this game were great so we can get more games here in the west... the first game after this I want to see is Dragon Quest VII

I mean what if --- (HUGE ENORMOUS IF) SE (Which will probably never ever happen) decided to remake VII for he PS4 with same quality as Heroes?  Just think, SE is remaking FF VII so how cool would it be if DQ VII came out the same year even if it only the 3ds release!  If that were to happen I could die a happy man.  If we get the 3ds version I would dance and sing in jubilation.  I hope we get VII soon at any rate.

I've been discussing this game with a few friends who are massive Musou fans. From what I understand, generally the first game of a IP to be turned into a Musou (One Piece, Fist of the North Star, etc. The game can be good, but the second one will always be a massive improvement since they already have an engine on which to build the game so they can spend more time on the actual game. I take it with a grain of salt though, because who knows? Horii was the director of this game so it didn't go off the cuff like it apparently can. I hope the second DQ Heroes game has multiplayer, because that would be a lot of fun with someone.

Yeah, my kids were disappointing they couldn't play with me, but they are still enjoying it on their own.

Multi-player sounds really awesome...however, I heard that the original four from this one Luceus, Aurora, Doric, and Isla won't be returning for the second.  We see Maribel and Carver as two new characters coming into play.

I think some characters from DQ IX would also be cool. Maybe Aquilla and Pavo? (not sure if she can fight actually, I know she can't join the team)

None of the others are interesting enough imo

Edited by Amos

Doesn't she do an attack in Monster Battle Road? I think a guardian angel may be able to do some fighting when required.

My boyfriend was also expecting to play with me. Now he has started mentioning getting a PS4, something he had not asked before, and all just because he wants to play DQH soon.

Oh okay, cool. I don't know much about that game honestly.

Anyway, played the first couple hours of dqh and got up to the airship.

Things I really like about the game:

- Artwork is stunning. I've never seen akira toriyamas creations look so good

- Graphics are great

- Runs really smoothly (so far)

- The music (most songs only go for 30ish seconds and loop but it hasn't bothered me as much as I thought it would)

- Characters are charming and funny, just like in the other dq games

- Battling the monsters in real time is a cool new experience

- Has enough depth and strategy to avoid being a mindless button masher

Things I don't like

- No multiplayer

- No free roam. I know it's supposed to be like a dynasty warriors game, but a bit of exploring would be nice

I'll also mention that it feels a bit easy, but not too easy. Also the story seems to be quite simple. Neither of these factors affect my enjoyment of the game enough to be negatives however.

Overall, I really like the game and I'm glad I bought it. Looking forward to seeing what the sales of it are like, and if we're gonna get more games :D

Edited by Amos

Man, it feels so good once you're able to access the Hero areas full of bigger monsters. So much Chaos going on, and you're setting spells down everywhere. Alena is absolutely fun to play as. she takes everything down so fast. Another minor annoyance is if you want to hit something with Zapple as Luceus, if you stand too close to the monster, you'll cast it behind them. The distance to cast is further than I thought. That's all on me, though.

I'm at the part where Isla goes back to her hometown in a forest, after the trial stuff.

You know, I thought they said the battles were just mindless, but hey, I really need to device some SERIOUS STRATEGIES.

That is until I decided the game got too hard and I needed to do side quests to improve the team, now the game got easy except on the trial's white dragon.

I held back manly tears when Healix was crying. ;_______________; That scene really touched me.

I would understand if Healix becomes an overly popular character after this game, unlike for example Aeris in FF7 or Vivi in FF9, which never gave me almost any feels, yet are overly overrated characters.

- Cons:

What IS mindless though is the amount of mixing you get to do in that pot thing. That seems completely unnecessary to me.

The letters you get from people before you do their quests.

The massive but pointless equipment list.

All with the DQ3 overworld theme playing... it seems unbalanced. I don't want to get tired of the same music. Imagine in Dragon Quest 3 you explored the world, fought, and visited villages all with 1 song until you go to a cave.

This is minor though, because the other music in the battlefield and scenes are varied and great!

Edited by kleev_55

I think the game is easier generally when you just have a "kill things" goal, but with the defense ones it can get super hectic and difficult to manage it all, especially if not a lot of coins drop.

The difficulty in some areas is insane by the way. Especially some defense missions and a few of the post game and "DLC" (as in the ones that were dlc in Japan) quests. My wife even pointed out how she has never seen me get so angry over a video game before after watching someone I was defending die at the last moment of a mission... I had just screamed no and slammed my fist into a pillow next to me on the couch. (it was the first in the DLC line where you have to use Maya in your party).

And even in the straight "Kill things" missions, the quest to get Psaro's Metal King Great Sword is a nightmare. I won it with no healstones left, no Yggdrasil leaves left, and 3 out of 4 characters dead. I literally ran around the map dodging getting in a shot here and there over and over on the last enemy until my tension bar went up... then went off on it and it still had 2/3rds of its health. Rinse and repeat playing near perfect to dodge everything again. And again. Until it died. If it wasn't for the occasional Healix heal I would have went down.

Edited by Touchfuzzy
  • Upvote 1

Haven't had much time to play due to exams but I'm having an absolute blast with it.

It was a bit too easy early on but the bigger stronger monsters definitely compensate this later on (No more Flame Tornado = Win).

So far my favorite characters to play as are Nera and Bianca. I'll be getting a platinum in this game for sure.

Same. Bianca and Nera are a blast, Throw in Alena too and that's my perfect team with either Luceus/Aurora. I will also be getting a platinum, it doesn't feel like it'll be impossible.

Sooo... I've been thinking about getting a PS4 (already thinking ahead to DQXI) and this game really sweetens the deal. But I've been hesitant because apart from an old PS2 I owned (solely for the purpose of playing DQ8), I've never really been too attracted to Playstation. The console is pricey too and that's a factor, but mainly I'm just wondering about how much use I'll get out of it. I admit some games for the PS4 look amazing, but nothing has really motivated me to get the system like Heroes. What do you guys think? Is the PS4 worth it? Any buyer's remorse?

Hey I'll chime in on this one. I finally took the plunge for a next-gen system back in August, and I haven't regretted it at all. I decided on PS4 over XBone for several reasons.

A) PS4 is a gaming rig first; XB1 is a multi-media server first

B) A TON more exclusives that I loved last generation - Uncharted, Ratchet, anything Tales of... XB1 has Halo, Gears, and Forza coming, but I've played each of those out on X360

C) On that last note, a *lot* more JRPG support. The genre isn't what it used to be, but there's still some gems to be had there

D) All the best WRPGs, too (with those rare PC exceptions like Divinity, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Shadowrun, etc, and I have an old PC that's good enough to run those well since they're not an intensive genre to run)

Not to say XB1 is shabby - I loved Crackdown back in the day, and the new Crackdown reboot looks sick - but I decided PS4 was the way to go for my forseeable future.

As for software, yes, it has some killer stuff. Depending on your preferences, of course. When I picked up the PS4 back in August, I got Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition, both of which are quite fun. Later, I got Arkham Knight - and having played the other three Arkham games, it is easily one of the best, if not THE best, in the series. I also think The Last of Us was one of the best games last gen, so I picked it up on PS4 in remastered form with better graphics and complete DLC.

I recently got Dragon Quest Heroes and Transformers Devastation for my birthday - two awesome action 'sit back and unwind' games from two of my all-time favorite franchises. Yeah, I'm an old guy at 38.

So yes, I think PS4 is a very solid investment, to say nothing of upcoming and later 2016 releases - Just Cause 3, Fallout 4, Tales of Zestiria, Star Wars Battlefront... just this year. You've got Tomb Raider 2, Dishonored 2, Last Guardian, Ratchet & Clank Reboot, Star Ocean 5, Uncharted 4... awesome stuff coming up.

Get one!

I got one!

I ordered the bundle that comes with The Last of Us. It was either that or the Battlefront bundle, and I didn't feel like waiting that long.

I just had to decide between getting a US console or a European one. I live in Germany, but I'm from the US (along with my DVDs) so I figure a US console would be more useful, even if it's just when it comes to watching DVDs. It was pricey, but the consoles are so expensive here anyway that a bundle from the US (including shipping and import fees) ended up costing almost the same as a console by itself here. All I need is a European power adapter. Everything else is compatible - and thankfully PS4 games aren't region-locked.

Anyway, I ordered Heroes too so I'll finally be able to post my reaction to the game on here rather than my PS4 questions. :D

• Upvote 1

My Default Team:

Luceus: Well, because I have to. He isn't my favorite, but he is pretty balanced as far as enemies. He is pretty decent at taking out crowds with the flame tornado, and his single enemy damage with Flame slash with the upgrade for holding it down is fairly high for tougher targets. I kind of wish I had chosen Aurora to start because of her ability to freeze, but I prefer Luceus personality wise.

Psaro: Psaro is one of the best for clearing huge swaths of weaker enemies when you have the MP for Liberation. Also the boost to attack power during Liberation makes him REALLY strong against high defense strong enemies. Combined with a buff from a genie sanguini and in Tension mode, his attacks are landing for 10x what most other characters can, and his crits are getting into the 2k range in my game (for comparison a crit in tension mode with an attack buff from Luceus is hitting at about 600). That said, Liberation is not something you can use all the time, as it is really expensive, but it CAN be triggered off a regular attack just like Alena's divide and conquer.

Terry: Terry is a single monster beatdown machine. Miracle Slash + Falcon slash and you can tank most large enemies and destroy them pretty fast. It also makes his tension bar FLY up, especially once you buy the Best In Tension skill. His triangle move is great for taking out weaker enemies in corridors, and there are a LOT of corridors in the game. Its also great for taking down flyers. His coup de grace is also great for its huge range. Get in an area like the Arba Town right the the left of where you enter and you can nearly take out two hordes with it alone.

Jessica: She can heal. Really, I feel like she is almost necessary in most party builds, since she has the only heal spell in the game, which annoys me a bit, but I like her character anyway. Her attacks aren't particularly great, though fully charged Crack can freeze a large group which is good in some of the defense missions if you are in trouble. Her coup de grace though is excellent, and does super high damage compared to most.

Honorable Mention: Alena is a beast. great single monster takedown machine like Terry. I used her until I unlocked Psaro.

Edited by Touchfuzzy
  • Upvote 1

I actually had to force myself to diversify more in who I controlled after getting Terry, because I found myself using him in EVERY slightly difficult situation. He really is insanely strong, with the only thing I've had a problem with with him is enemies with high defense, because he doesn't have overpowering attack power, he can just hit 80 thousand times in a few seconds.

I imagine the best setup as far as pure damage though would be Yangus + Terry + Nera. Yangus for Helm Splitter, Nera for Oomph, and then Terry for just Falcon Slash destruction. The other option being Alena instead of Terry, using Divide and Conquer. (My one complaint about Alena as far as versus Terry with them both holding the same position of Big Monster Beat Down, is that Terry is better at crowd control imo).

Edited by Touchfuzzy
  • Upvote 1

I haven't been able to play much of the eu version yet, but when i was playing the jp version i found a way to "farm" Liquid Metal Slimes and Metal King Slimes in the last story mission in Heroe/Hard difficulty. 

Alena's division + Multifists + 3 Ragging Rubies equipped = Metal Slime slaughter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rURUHccwigg

There's also an item that rises the probability of metal monsters spawning. I don't know how's it called, but its the accessory you get after completing Maya's DLC quests.

If your main character has equipped the ring you get for beating Yangus and Jessica's DLC quests, you will probably get many minimedals too since you'll have to defeat maaany monsters. (That ring increases the chance of monsters dropping a minimedal by 2%)

• Upvote 1