When is a good time to change classes?

AustNerevar

So I took a peak at the Skill list on the Den's DQ9 page and it looks pretty darn confusing. It's clear that the class system in this game is quite different from 6 & 7's system. My hero is around level 25 and most of my other party members are at around 19-22. When should I start reclassing my team to make the most of them?

Whenever you want to.  Reclassing isn't so much about new skills as in gathering new skill points, since you can save them up then dump them into a level 1 class with the skill sets you desire.

Basically you have your weapon skills, which boost damage by +60 (when all boosts are gained), offer omnivocational use (mastery), and various special skills that are only used by that weapon.

Then you have your class skills.  Class skills are unique in that they are universal.  The stat bonuses gained are also universally spread throughout your classes, so picking and choosing what bonuses is crucial, based on what class picks you want.

So let's say you decide character 3 is going to be a healer, no matter what your setup.  Then it's probably a good time to dump points into Faith.

Maybe you decided character 4 is going to be an offensive magic class, so even if you make him/her a warrior for a bit to farm skill points, you're not going to stick as a warrior, and after farming, you'll just dump points into magic damage boosting...so Wands and Spellcraft.

It's just a matter of deciding what type of classes you want to pick, then choosing the stat boosts, weapon stats, and whether you want them to get shields (actually you'll want all of them to max shields at some point), then picking periods of time and particular maps to do some farming before moving on with the game.  Then, to plan out your final classes, or have an idea of what classes you think might fit those roles best.  Then pick those and level them up.

So you're level 24 minstrel right...but you decide maybe you want your Hero as a Ranger.  You want him as a backup Healer, and backup Damage dealer.  You want him to have range attacks and a single attack weapon.

So pick a random class, level it up to like 18 in Quarantomb, then pick a second, repeat.  Hold onto the skill points or dump them into the desired skill point groups you already know you want.  Then when Ranger can be unlocked, unlock it.

Since this sounds like your first time through, I'd say go for whatever, since the game never punishes you or limits you.

Just don't worry too much about it.  Know that the first three areas for skill point farming is Quarantomb, then Bad Cave, then Bowhole (this will pop up sometime down the line).  You can use Gerzuun down the road, which is a dungeon before Bowhole, but there are metal slimes and their ilk, it's just one common enemy that respawns quickly and commonly.

• Upvote 1

I think I've learned a little about it. Your explanation helped a lot. I needed to get 5 mummy bandages for a quest so I reclassed my Martial Artist (least essential party member at the time, so I could afford the level reset) to Thief and dumped some skill points into Aquisitiveness to get the Half-Pinch ability to steal bandages. She's back to a Martial Artist now, but it's nice knowing I have that ability to use whenever I need it.

Why would you suggest going back to Quarantomb to grind? Is that a particularly good spot? I can't really recall as it's been so long since I was at that part of the game.

This isn't really my first time playing 9, but it might as well be in regards to the class system. When I took a hiatus from the game I'd just unlocked Alltrades Abbey so I hadn't really experimented with it at all.

• Upvote 1

Early level gains from like 1~12 (some go to 18, since it's pretty fast, especially with someone with a Sword and Metal Slash, or a Spear/Axe with Thunder Thrust/Hatchet Man).  There are metal slimes in the Quarantomb.

Edited by ignasia7

Ah okay. I'm surprised I found my way back there. I thought I would have to Google the directions. It appears that you don't keep your known Spells when you reclass? Or maybe it's just because I reclassified as a Warrior.

"When is a good time to change classes?"

When you realize you don't like your major. *ba-dum ching*

Ugh, trigger warning. I changed my major way too many times in college.

Never. Never change your classes.

YOLO.

Or your professor.
I actually changed my major because of the academic advisor in charge of the History dept. He was...not a helpful man.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Or your professor.
I actually changed my major because of the academic advisor in charge of the History dept. He was...not a helpful man.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

So, in essence you made that major... history?

Note that for quarantomb, you can wait in the entry hall in site of the first intersection and just let things spawn and move. When you see a metal slime, book your butt towards it (may need to dodge other monsters... so can be tricky... gotta find the sweet spot to stand close enough to get there fast, but not so close they persue you when they spawn).  Vanish skill helps if you have it from.. thief or ranger or whomever learns it.

Note that for quarantomb, you can wait in the entry hall in site of the first intersection and just let things spawn and move. When you see a metal slime, book your butt towards it (may need to dodge other monsters... so can be tricky... gotta find the sweet spot to stand close enough to get there fast, but not so close they persue you when they spawn).  Vanish skill helps if you have it from.. thief or ranger or whomever learns it.

Thanks, it's a great help!

Thanks, it's a great help!

Takes a little bit of practice, maybe, but it beats running around and getting into time-wasting fights.

It takes up to level 38 in any class for 102 skill points (or to breach 100sk pts).

If you level to at least 38 in every class, you'll be able to master many of the class skills (Courage, Guts, Acquisitiveness, Faith, etc.) that will boost your stats and stay with you as you change classes.  As you level higher and higher (all the way to 99) the skill point distribution is smaller, so leveling as from 1-38 (or even a little further) in each class is the fastest way to accrue skill points, early on.

Best recommendation is to change classes relatively often, and build at least one weapon (typically swords, spears, or wands) and pour the rest into either Shield or class skills.  Any variation of that is a good starting point.

Edited by Liamland
  • Upvote 1

It takes up to level 38 in any class for 102 skill points (or to breach 100sk pts).

If you level to at least 38 in every class, you'll be able to master many of the class skills (Courage, Guts, Acquisitiveness, Faith, etc.) that will boost your stats and stay with you as you change classes.  As you level higher and higher (all the way to 99) the skill point distribution is smaller, so leveling as from 1-38 (or even a little further) in each class is the fastest way to accrue skill points, early on.

Best recommendation is to change classes relatively often, and build at least one weapon (typically swords, spears, or wands) and pour the rest into either Shield or class skills.  Any variation of that is a good starting point.

Thanks! That's all really good to know. Quick question, does it really matter on which weapon I put skill points into dependent on class? For example, my Priest has many skill points in spears which is something I started doing early on, assuming it wouldn't be a problem. Is it efficient for a Priest to use a spear or are staffs preferable for some reason?

I highly suggest maxing Spears on that character, especially for Bowhole in the future.

Bowhole leveling is a lot of fun, you can trick a forced Liquid Metal Slime spawn by opening the maps, making sure that the Granite Tunnel of Woe Lv. 1 is at the bottom of the first page (or second), then loading it, then turning to see an LMS spawn.  Same trick can be used on a number of maps with metal slimes and their ilk.  I almost think it was preprogrammed in on purpose...

Oh, and for general purpose, just for the best overall stat bonuses: Courage!

Str, HP, and Resilience all rolled into one, and tied for highest Str, and 2nd place for HP/Res.

Spears are fine.  Especially once you learn Thunder Thrust, which makes killing metals much easier.

I highly suggest maxing Spears on that character, especially for Bowhole in the future.

Bowhole leveling is a lot of fun, you can trick a forced Liquid Metal Slime spawn by opening the maps, making sure that the Granite Tunnel of Woe Lv. 1 is at the bottom of the first page (or second), then loading it, then turning to see an LMS spawn.  Same trick can be used on a number of maps with metal slimes and their ilk.  I almost think it was preprogrammed in on purpose...

Oh, and for general purpose, just for the best overall stat bonuses: Courage!

Str, HP, and Resilience all rolled into one, and tied for highest Str, and 2nd place for HP/Res.

Great, I've been focusing on Spears for her in the goal of maxing it out.

Can somebody give me some advice for the quest 'Cry Wolf' that you get from the Martial Artists at Alltrades Abbey? I'm supposed to kill five Scarewolves immediately after scaring them into inaction with War Cry. I'm pretty sure the requirement is that you kill the Scarewolf in the same turn that you scare it with the War Cry ability. My problem is that I've done just that with nearly ten different Scarewolves, all having been successfully frightened and then killed, yet they don't go toward the count for the quest. So far I've only got 2 wolves counted in the quest log. And I don't think I did those any differently than all the rest. It's extremely frustrating because I've been doing this for over an hour and it just seems arbitrary whether the game wants to recognize them or not. Am I missing something? I looked up the quest on the Quest List here at the Den and it doesn't seem to offer any information that I haven't already been doing.

I remember that quest being obnoxious, but I don't remember what the solution was.

Oh! I believe you have to scare them, then kill them before the "scare wolf was too scared to act" (or however it's worded) message.

I believe if you have a slow character (that acts after them) scare them on turn one, a fast character (that acts before them) can kill them on the second turn no problem.

Or you just have a REALLY fast character scare them, then a slower (but still faster than the scarewolf) character kill them all in one turn.

Or a slow character scare them in turn one, and a spear user use mercurial thrust to kill them on turn two.

etc etc

Anyway, in other words: It has to still be terrified when someone kills it.

• Upvote 2

I remember that quest being obnoxious, but I don't remember what the solution was.

Oh! I believe you have to scare them, then kill them before the "scare wolf was too scared to act" (or however it's worded) message.

I believe if you have a slow character (that acts after them) scare them on turn one, a fast character (that acts before them) can kill them on the second turn no problem.

Or you just have a REALLY fast character scare them, then a slower (but still faster than the scarewolf) character kill them all in one turn.

Or a slow character scare them in turn one, and a spear user use mercurial thrust to kill them on turn two.

etc etc

Anyway, in other words: It has to still be terrified when someone kills it.

I thought it was still terrified throughout the turn. That is an incredibly unrealistic quest mechanic. I can scare it right away no problem, but I can never get the rest of my party to knock it out before it says it's too terrified to move. I must have one party member who is slower than the Scarewolf. And that one character always strikes the killing blow...directly after the too terrified to react message.

This is bad quest design. Your party has to meet incredibly specific criteria to be able to do it.

You know...I've realized something watching this thread...well I realized it before, but something is very wrong when a smartass, nonsensical comment can net +10~11 points, but a helpful post can net 0 (90% of the time) or 1, maybe 2 (like .001% of the time).

It says something inherently wrong with all of us, but it proves the point...actual help is a thankless job that never nets any real credit.  I'm not talking about on this site, I mean in the general population of humanity when a nonsequitor, or a smartass remark has value, and useful info has essentially none.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 1

You know...I've realized something watching this thread...well I realized it before, but something is very wrong when a smartass, nonsensical comment can net +10~11 points, but a helpful post can net 0 (90% of the time) or 1, maybe 2 (like .001% of the time).

It says something inherently wrong with all of us, but it proves the point...actual help is a thankless job that never nets any real credit.  I'm not talking about on this site, I mean in the general population of humanity when a nonsequitor, or a smartass remark has value, and useful info has essentially none.

The only nonhelpful comment in this thread with a nonzero score only has a score of 1. I think you're exaggerating it for this thread.

But in general, yeah you're totally right. Nothing irritates me more than to check a game on Steam to find that the majority of top rated reviews are one to two-sentenced jokes and my five paragraph long review has maybe a couple of thumbs ups. There is the exception to that. In my Oblivion review I made sure that the review started out by criticizing the lack of serious reviews, then I proceeded to break down the game. People seemed to respond to that. Well it was either that or my 1950 hours played.

• Upvote 1

If I get one more freaking critical hit while hunting these damned Scarewolves, I'm going to maim a Slime.

Edited by AustNerevar