Sign in to follow this  
Sammoniac

Alternative way to enjoy the Dragon Quest mobile games

First of all, hi everyone! Glad to be part of this community ^L^

I'm a very recent Dragon Quest enthusiast (became one since around 2 months ago). I'm playing the series on mobile right now in chronological order and I'm currently in the 4th installement. The reason I play the mobile releases is because I wanted to enjoy the latest and most accurate versions and translations of the games. I think they are fairly good ports, but have their issues as well. Unfortunately, playing such epic and long games on a phone doesn`t quite do them justice. So this led me to think of alternate ways to enjoy the titles.

After some research, I found a very interesting mobile emulator called Bluestacks. This basically emulates a phone/tablet on your computer so that you can enjoy your favorite apps...and games, on a pc. It syncs with your appstore, so it is perfectly legal because you need to buy the games first on your phone/tablet. So far, I've tested DQ I, II, III and IV on it. They all work like a charm. No lag, no bugs. 100% functionnal. And I don't see why V and VI wouldn`t work as well, since they seem to use the same engine and require the same processing power than IV. The greater resolution and the fact that they use only one screen makes them better than the DS versions, at least for me (and let's not forget the party chat in IV). So having a way to enjoy them on a bigger screen than a small phone is pretty cool. Now for VIII, everyone knows that the mobile version is inferior, so the ps2 version is the way to go for now.

But this alternative is not without its flaws. You will have to flip your monitor on the side to enjoy the portrait resolutions in all their glory (unless you want the game to only take a small portion of your screen in landscape mode). While this is very easy for me to do, I can imagine that some people can't really do that. Also, while playing with a mouse is surprisingly easy and quick, its kind of a wierd experience overall. It just doesn`t feel as good as playing with a controller, or even with a touch screen.

Which led me to some more thinking. I tried tinkering with JoyToKey, a program that basically let's you control your mouse and keyboard with a controller. I succeeded in creating a set up that allowed me to perfectly play IV with my controller. I control the character with the D-pad, pull up menus with the other buttons, rotate the camera with L and R and control the mouse cursor with one of the joysticks to do the rest of the actions. This is not optimal and can feel a little clunky, but it definitely works. I also did another set up for DQ I just for fun and its also quite functionnal.

This all may seem like a complicated mess, but it is really simpler than it seems. I even tried playing the games on my HD tv and it was awesome.

Here's what it looks like on my pc monitor ;

IMG_20150926_215238.jpg

Anyway, I admit that I would much prefer playing on a real console. Or maybe a tablet, if the experience is good. Did some of you try the games on a tablet? How was it? If it was enjoyable, do you guys know of any good gaming tablet that all the DQ games are compatible with?

---------------------------

HOW TO GET STARTED

This guide assumes that you have bought the game first on your mobile. If so, then the rest is free and legal. Please purchase the games, it can only help getting more Dragon Quest games released in the West.

1 - Download Bluestacks (or Droid4x if you prefer, doesn`t matter)

www.bluestacks.com

or

www.droid4x.com

2 - Configure Bluestacks

This is pretty easy. Launch it and it will ask you to sync your appstore ID. After that, you're done. Very straightforward and user friendly.

3 - Download JoyToKey

http://joytokey.net/en

4 - Configuring JoyToKey

- Now comes the trickier part. Though once you understand how the program works, it becomes a piece of cake. You can launch the game now, as you will need it to be running to make things easier to configure.

- Make sure your controller is plugged in, then launch JoyToKey. When the program opens, it should detect your controller. If not, google is your friend. You can create a template for each games. Just click the Rename button below and name it.

- Now try using the buttons and joystick/dpad on your controller. You will see that when you do an action, the corresponding button will highlight in yellow.

- You will see that when you double-click on the button in JoyToKey, a function menu will pop up with 6 different tabs. The ones we will be using are the Mouse and Mouse 2 tabs.

- First, let`s emulate the mouse with your controller's joystick. To do so, push the joystick in the left direction. The yellow highlight appears for Stick1:↠confirming the function that you need to assign. Double-click on Stick1:â†. Go to the Mouse tab. You will see the mouse emulation section. Under cursor movement, The X axis and the Y axis are represented by two sliders and a value is attached to each one. Since we want to emulate a left movement, let's slide the X axis slider to -80 (you can obviously ajust the value to your liking). -80 is pretty good for me. Now you will have to do this for the other 3 directions. After you've done this, It should look like this ;

guide_1.jpg

Now click anywhere else than in JoyToKey and try it. Your joystick is now controlling your cursor! Neat, right?

- Now, wouldn't it be nice that, for example, you could push the L and R button to rotate the camera? You can, and its pretty easy. What we need to do in JoyToKey is tell the program that when you push a button, the mouse goes to a certain spot on the screen and simultaneously performs a left-click. You will be able to do this in the Mouse 2 tab under the Target Position section. Again, this works by assigning valus to the X and Y axis. 50 and 50 basically puts your cursor in the middle of your screen. First, try experimenting with the valus until your find the spot in the game where a button is located. Then, you need to tell JoyToKey to also perform a left-click at the same time. This is also in the Mouse 2 tab under the Mouse Click section. Just check the box entitled Left (because a left click is the equivalent of touching your screen). Voilà!

Now that you understand how it works, you can do this for all the other buttons on the screen if you want. A good tip would be to also assign one of your controller's button as the ACTION button. In the mobile games, the ACTION button means to touch anywhere in the screen whenever you see a red "!" to talk to people, search an area etc. So just configure one of your buttons to a random spot on the screen to simulate a touch.

- Its time to configure the character's movement with the D-pad. Unfortunately, this is where it may get a little clunkier for some games that have diagonal movement, like DQ IV. For the Erdrick trilogy, it works the same way as assigning a controller button to a spot on the screen like we did earlier. Now how do we set up diagonal movement for the more recent games? Here's what I did.

First, go in your game's settings and choose the smallest virtual D-pad available. It is also a good idea to assign it the to left side of the screen instead of the middle, because its just less obstructive. Now that this is done, choose a movement button on your gamepad. I recommend an easily accessible one, because you'll always have to push it when you want to walk. Okay, now you basicaly need to tell JoyToKey that when you push this button, the cursor goes straight to the center of the virtual D-pad and performs a left-click. Just like if your finger was in the middle of the virtual D-pad. What I did after was assign the same mouse mouvements that I assigned to my joystick on my controller's D-pad. With this configuration, all you need to do is push and hold your controller's walk button to activate movement, then use the controller's D-pad to move the character. There you go, diagonal movement! Yeah, I know that having to keep a button pressed to walk sucks a little bit. Its like a racing game right? :laugh:

PS : I just found that in the joystick options, there is a 8-way D-pad enabler which pretty much makes things a lot simpler than the solution above. I'll have to try that out.

I'm sure that you guys will find other cool stuff to do with these programs and probably better configs as well. Please share them here, as I am interested in seeing what you will come up with :thumbsup:

Edited by Sammoniac
  • Upvote 5

Welcome aboard! Your first post, and its one worthy of being pinned!

I definitely need to give your idea a try!

• Upvote 1

Yeah, if you make a post detailing how you got JoyToKey to work with Bluestacks, you would likely get a topic sticky.

Noice.

Bluestacks works really well with the Zenithian trilogy. With VIII, it suffers a bit, though. My PC got really hot when I tried.

Droid4X is another alternative option, and for some, is superior to Bluestacks.  I haven't really spent much time experimenting with it, but King Zenith mentioned it in another thread where I complained about Bluestacks being slow on my computer.

http://www.droid4x.com/

I tried Bluestacks long ago but it seemed incredibly...commercialized, esecially the newer versions. And Droid4X doesn't work with my PC for some reason.

Welcome to the Den! Great first post. I'll have to try this out.

I tried Bluestacks long ago but it seemed incredibly...commercialized, esecially the newer versions. And Droid4X doesn't work with my PC for some reason.

Neither have I, but I have several friends who keep recommending it, and apparently, when it works, it works very well, is resource light, runs smoothly, and has near flawless integration with every game they play on it.  I just haven't gotten around to tweaking and toying with it yet, but then I don't have anything to test on it...yet.

Neither have I, but I have several friends who keep recommending it, and apparently, when it works, it works very well, is resource light, runs smoothly, and has near flawless integration with every game they play on it.  I just haven't gotten around to tweaking and toying with it yet, but then I don't have anything to test on it...yet.

You're talking about Droid4X, correct?

You're talking about Droid4X, correct?

Yes, I'm talking about Droid4x.

I want to try the Android emulators but they seem a bit sketchy.

How?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

They aren't sketchy. They work if your PC can run them. Bluestacks is a good development tool, at that.

• Upvote 2

I'll have to give this a shot, but my home computer is an old Mac Mini hooked up to a big screen TV, so there's no turning the screen, for me.

I can turn my main desktop monitor. That's what I did when I was streaming DQ6 iOS a few months ago.

I tried them on an iPad Air 2 and I ain't impressed. You can move the control pad to make it more usable, but the written text in IV/V/VI is pixelated and kinda ugly. These games look good on iPhones and the like, and that's it. Also, portrait only on tablets too.

Eh, the tablet part doesn't bother me at all.

I like how the text looks on mine. And the controls are pretty decent. 

Granted I use a Galaxy Tab 4 10-inch, so...

• Upvote 1

I tried them on an iPad Air 2 and I ain't impressed. You can move the control pad to make it more usable, but the written text in IV/V/VI is pixelated and kinda ugly. These games look good on iPhones and the like, and that's it. Also, portrait only on tablets too.

And yet the controls are terrible to handle on a device that small. You practically need a tablet to not feel overwhelmed while playing them.

This is why I don't really care much for mobile ports.

And yet the controls are terrible to handle on a device that small. You practically need a tablet to not feel overwhelmed while playing them.

I play one-handed, easy peasy.

Actually, DQ1, 2, and 3 control damned well on my phone.

I play one-handed, easy peasy.
Buttons are WAYYY too small. I'm always tapping the wrong button or accidentally backing out of a menu. And I have a big phone to boot.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk