Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Do you wish Dragon Quest games had New Game+?

Hello all, ol' Yangus here with a question. I'm just curious if you guys wish DQ games had New Game+ or not. Let's face it, after all the work you can put into a DQ game, it sure would be nice to go back through the adventure and destroy all in your path. I certainly wish some of the bigger games had this feature, like 7 and 8.

If DQ did have NG+, I'd like to see options for what you do and don't carry over, such as levels, items, job class mastery, and so on.

So, my fellow Denizens, would you like to see NG+, and if so, what would you want from it?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Yes I do.

ESPECIALLY DRAGON QUEST VIII!

Just being able to carry over Skill points would be useful. But if it had a NG+ Shop in it where you could purchase bonuses for future playthorughs then that would be awesome too. :D

Levels, Items, Jobs, everything carries over. Or.. player can select checkboxes to choose what carries over.

Things tied to level wouldn't be able to be independently carried over.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't mind it.

Make it like the Tales Grade shop, which is similar to the above example.

• Upvote 1

A new game plus in the vein Mystical One described, but with an option to increase difficulty.

I'd also like to see NG+ add in extra bosses, or extra wishes specific to that playthrough.  Or something unique inherent in the NG+ mode that adds that extra incentive.  Maybe a method of upgrading gear that is not available in the normal playthrough, such as picking several 1 time-only equipment pieces, and allowing alterations to their properties, or a set number of chosen bonuses based on beating a particular super boss.

So, let's say you have DQ7.  Let's say you have the Aquagon Sword.  There's a special boss battle with the Aqua Spirit, where she uses her full power and there are 8 options, each with 1, 2, or 3 levels, Aquagon has 4 slots total.

On the next NG+, you can keep the upgrades chosen for the Aquagon, or choose to reset them entirely.  These special boss battles can be done from the start of the game, but note that without transferring over stats and equipment, the battles are nigh impossible.  Also note they're scaled to the player's level, and their growth rate mimic's that of the Legacy Bosses, including skill upgrades.  Level of these special battles also accounts for the number of upgrade options.

So special Aqua Spirit boss battle at levels 1~10 only offers 3 upgrades, up to level 1 each.  Levels 11~20 offers the same 3 upgrades, but up to level 2 (for those allowed to hit level 2).  Levels 21~40 would be 5 upgrades, up to level 2 only.  Level 71~98 offers all upgrades, but only up to level 2.  Level 99 offers up to level 3.

You're rewarded with a point system, based on performance.  I guess an accolade system in the vein of DQ 9.  Each NG+ item has a different point-scale cost.

Monster scaling can be done in general or specifics.

General would be something like:

Hard (10% stat increase to monsters, 15% to bosses)

Very Hard (15% stat increase to monsters, 30% HP increase to monsters, 20% to bosses, 30% HP increase to bosses)

Improbably Hard (25% stat increase to monsters, 50% HP increase to monsters, 50% stat increase to bosses, 50% HP increase to bosses)

Nigh impossible (50% stat increase to monsters, 100% stat increase to bosses, only a 15% HP increase to monsters, 25% to bosses)

Edited by ignasia7

No.  Once I finish a game, I'm done with it.  I typically won't come back to it for years and years if at all.  The most fun of the DQ games is when I'm level 1-10 and I'm rationing my money for Herbs and MP for Heal and having to run away because I went and crossed that bridge.  Those times seem like the most fun for me.

I enjoyed the new game plus option in Dragon Quest Swords.  Replaying with the Deathbringer sword was so much fun!  I'm not sure if there is a good way to apply the same concept to main series DQ games.  Having super-powered stuff right from the start would just remove the difficulty (i.e. fun) of the games.  I think for new game plus on a main series game, rather than giving more power, they should give more options or alternate endings or quests.  Like you can get some prominent NPCs to join you, or you play the game from the evil villains perspective. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure what you mean? Like a post-game or sort of how Zelda had the Master Quest stuff?

Hmmm, I don't know anything about this Zelda Master Quest you speak of.  I don't mean post-game, but rather that you start the game fresh with the NG+ option, and doing so gives you either:

a) More options like some other characters can join your party that couldn't during a normal run of the game

b) A totally different take on the same game, playing it from the villain's perspective.  e.g. in DQ1 you play as the Dragonlord and you win by destroying the descendant of Erdrick.

Probably something more like Chrono Trigger/Cross/etc.

Carry over levels/equipment/skills learned, so on.

Or like Tales where you can pick the options you want to carry over, plus things like Double XP/Double money, increased enemy levels.

Hmmm, I don't know anything about this Zelda Master Quest you speak of. I don't mean post-game, but rather that you start the game fresh with the NG+ option, and doing so gives you either:

a) More options like some other characters can join your party that couldn't during a normal run of the game

b) A totally different take on the same game, playing it from the villain's perspective. e.g. in DQ1 you play as the Dragonlord and you win by destroying the descendant of Erdrick.

I was actually addressing the OP, not your comment specifically. I've never heard of a "New Game+" before.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Or like Tales where you can pick the options you want to carry over, plus things like Double XP/Double money, increased enemy levels.

I still have yet to play Chrono Trigger.

I still say a Tales like grade-shop option which you earn points for throughout the game.

Can carry over levels, money, skills learned, also can get things like Double XP/Money, Hit 4 X harder but so do the enemies, carry over items, increased crit.

But you have to pick and choose what you want to carry over based on how well you did the last play-through earning grade, as opposed to everything carrying over like the aforementioned Chrono titles or other games with NG+

Edited by Tiael

Hmmm, I don't know anything about this Zelda Master Quest you speak of. I don't mean post-game, but rather that you start the game fresh with the NG+ option, and doing so gives you either:

b) A totally different take on the same game, playing it from the villain's perspective. e.g. in DQ1 you play as the Dragonlord and you win by destroying the descendant of Erdrick.

I was actually addressing the OP, not your comment specifically. I've never heard of a "New Game+" before.

I still have yet to play Chrono Trigger.

It's kinda of what it sounds like.  It's a New Game Plus some other things.  Like...

You start the DQ game over as a young boy in a village somewhere, but instead of starting with Level 1 and a cypress stick, you start at level 56 (or whatever you beat the game at) and have all your spells or maybe all your equipment.  As you play through the game (probably much faster this time), maybe some events that didn't happen the first time happen this time.  Maybe you can marry 2 women in DQV.  Maybe Harry (?) the guy with the horse in DQIV stays with you the entire game as a character this time instead of disappearing after a while.

Sure, I guess you could say it is cheating, however a typical prerequisite for accessing NG+ is that you complete the game normally first.  In some instances, it may even require to "super complete" the game by doing all the bonus stuff too.  At that point, you have already proven yourself and the NG+ simply gives you a new way to have fun and mess around with the game.  It's a reward for all your hard work.

I mean completing the game and also doing all the optional side-quest stuff and perhaps the post-game things as well. 

Never thought I'd see someone call NG+ a form of cheating. You see something new every day.

• Upvote 1

I like New Game+ since it enhances replay value.

You dont have to use it but I would like the option anyway. :D

• Upvote 1

Never thought I'd see someone call NG+ a form of cheating. You see something new every day.

Ditto.  Yeah, that's a first.

The only way I think you could possibly even consider New Game+ cheating is if you play on Easy or Normal, carry whatever it is you carry over post-game, and play the hardest difficulty. Suddenly not so hard anymore.

The only way I think you could possibly even consider New Game+ cheating is if you play on Easy or Normal, carry whatever it is you carry over post-game, and play the hardest difficulty. Suddenly not so hard anymore.

That's kind of the point though.

Blue Dragon encourages using it to power up for harder difficulties.  While you can beat Hard from scratch, it's very trying and requires a lot of skill and understanding of the core game system, as even end-game monsters in the normal difficulty can pose problems, whereas virtually everything leading up to that point is cake under Normal (easy).  However, Very Hard is impossible barring starting around level 30, the stats are just too high for enemies.

Similarly with Oath in Felghana's Inferno mode, which I believe is only available on the PSP version, Nightmare as the most difficult level for all other releases.  Inferno suggests starting the game carrying over elements from a former game, and while yes, it is possible to beta Inferno from scratch, a critical hit from any enemy under normal conditions, at any point, can usually cause a game over, or take off up to 70% health (depends on the enemy/stats/equipment).

Lufia is much the same, not so much for any difficulty spike, as to render some end-game sections much easier, as they're considerably more difficult than anything previous, and frankly, the nature of Lufia's leveling system means small gains, so the difference isn't so substantial.

I guess I always assumed New Game+ was meant to up the ante instead of making it easier to clear harder difficulties...