Yangus' Chrono Cross Chronocles

They gain Star Level stats, but not the minor level ups/stat gains inbetween.

And the minor level ups/stat gains reset with each star level and you'll miss those from the previous star level, so I usually try to swap frequently between my active roster inbetween bosses to capitalize on the stat gains for those I may not use a lot.

Edited by Tiael
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just consider the title a spiritual successor to Trigger, but it is in no way like it in terms of character development. Plus it is plot holey.

I also enjoyed CC much better than CT.  The coolest part is playing through the story 3 times in order to get all of the characters.  CC is probably one of my favorite JRPGs of all time.  One tip I ca

I'm surprised some of you have said you like CC over CT. Its refreshing to be honest, but when one of your friends praises CT to high heaven hearing someone say they love CC more is a bit of a "wait,

Alright, thanks for the info Tiael!

I've decided that for my first playthrough, Guile will be my guide to the manor. I'm debating on whether to call him Magus or not just for the heck of it. I do know about the whole "is he or isn't he the same character" but I'm a Magus fan so I like to think he is for fun.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

He is, or was, but due to time constraints cut.

But then is due to CTDS pretty much implying it with the new ending.

It's all sorts of screwy.

Alright, I've made a fair bit of progress:

-Finished off Vipor Manor on Guile's path. Kind of a pain Guile only had one slot per element level, but the damage output at least made up for it. Seems like a lot of possible recruits were in Vipor Manor, and hopefully I didn't screw up my chances of recruiting Pip by opening his cage...

-I'm on the path now to save Kid. Korcha has been a very good party member, which is funny because I figured he wouldn't be all that great because of his weapon being fishing lures. Don't judge a book by its cover, eh? I'm surprised some people aren't a fan of him, as he's very useful from what little I've played.

-I'm going for attempt 3 of the Hydra. Reason being is that, while I beat him the first two times, turns out you can only get Razzly before you kill it. SOOOOO glad I didn't save after beating the Hydra the first two times, cause otherwise I'd be pissed.

Side note: the locations and music in this game are awesome. Mitsuda did a phenomenal job with the soundtrack in this game, and honestly I'd say I enjoy it more than CT's soundtrack.

All I remember about this game is the fact that it got a really high score in GameInformer. In fact, It may have gotten a ten...

Anyways, this game is one of many PS1 rpgs that I still need to get and play.

I feel ya. This is only my third PS1 RPG I've played/owned, so I've got a ways to go.

Yep, Yasunori Mitsuda outdid himself, definitely can say it's his best OST that I've heard.

I still prefer Xenogears, Soma Bringer, and Xenosaga 1, but yes, Chrono Cross has an amazing soundtrack.  It's musical bliss, and between CC and CT, you can really see just how much progress, in so short a period of time, Mitsuda has made in his range and complexity.

Yeah well I prefer you to shut yer trap.

:P

Edited by Tiael

Make me.

I'll confiscate all your DQ related things!

Don't make me use Big Banga and/or Golden Oldies, cause so help me guv I will!

Anyway, back to the game: I completed the Ghost Ship event and got Pip, so that's pretty nice. I was afraid I might've missed him!

Now I'm going to go back and try to recruit Skelly and NeoFio. I have most of Skelly's parts, and I think I only need 1 more. As for Fio, if I'm right all I need to do is use the Beeba Flute in Another Hydra Marsh and it will lead me to the item I need to get Fio.

By the way, those fights with the Beebas were so annoying. Why did they have a boatload of health if they weren't even a boss?! I thought with how "hard" the fight was, I'd gain a star level, but nothing...

Pssh. Pip is nice, don't think you can perma miss him. Need the life sparkle then bring to the pool at Viper Manor for NeoFio too I believe. It's been a while though. The beebas suck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel ya. This is only my third PS1 RPG I've played/owned, so I've got a ways to go.

Grandia

DQVII

Chrono Cross

Torneko

Um... that mighta been it for me. Did a bit of FFVII - FFIX, but they didn't interest me.

bruh. There's a lot you are missing out on. Final Fantasy VII, VIII, Tactics, Vagrant Story, Lunar I and II, Grandia, Xenogears just to name a few.

Ok, I guess technically I've played/owned 4 if you count the stream version of FF 7.

I tried playing VII, I really did. I ignored the hype and whatnot for the game, and tried to go in with an open mind set. Got about 6 hours in and had to stop. I had fun with the gameplay, but oh my god THAT ENGLISH TRANSLATION IS SO BAD. I felt like I was playing something written by a mix of kids and teenagers. It was garbage. If there's a mod out there with an actually good translation that can be applied to the Steam version of the game, then maybe I'll go back and try playing it.

Otherwise (to pull a Barrett) $#!& that $#!&.

Interesting. Never really heard an issue like that.

If anything, the original translation is loved, thanks to things like "this guy are sick".

Oh, it's been an issue.  A long time issue.  I'm surprised you've never heard about it, Fates, but even since the original release, Gamepro noted the horrendous localization, and it's stuck as one of the sore spots, and main reason for a remake, or a least an attempt to retranslate with the ports.

It's probably died down since, and gone on the back burner, much like the complaint about DQ7's graphics is less commonly used as a negative these days, as it's just not relevant, since the game simply is that way and cannot be changed.

Anyway, a list of must-play Playstation games you haven't played yet (I'm pretty sure), in no particular order of what I consider truly worthwhile titles:

1) Xenogears

2) Grandia

3) Star Ocean: The Second Story (though the PSP release is superior, and fixes several major bugs)

4) Breath of Fire IV

5) Parasite Eve

6) Persona II: Innocent Sin (ok, this you have to emulate and patch, but it's the better storyline of the two parallel Persona 2 titles)

7) SaGa Frontier 2

8) Tales of Destiny (it's very clunky, and frankly plays like ass compared to all tales games since, but the storyline and characters I have always found endearing)

9) Valkyrie Profile

10) Vagrant Story

11) Wild ARMS 2nd Ignition

12) Guardian's Crusade

13) Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete

14) Suikoden 2

15) Suikoden

16) SaGa Frontier

17) Breath of Fire III

18) Final Fantasy Tactics (though War of the Lions on PSP is a superior game, this one is at least fast, and is still amazing regardless)

19) Persona 2: Eternal Punishment

20) Tales of Eternia (vastly improved battle system over Destiny, and sets the tone for all over Tales games, but the storyline and characters just aren't as charming, and the twists far too obvious...nothing beats swordians, and this game ain't got'em, still, it's a solid title, and a very worthy playthrough)

21) Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (imo this is easily the best version of this, though I've heard good things about the Vita release)

22) Legend of Mana

23) Legend of Dragoon

24) Shadow Madness

25) Koudelka (be mindful this is easily the most difficult RPG on the playstation, by a very large margin...this game is continuously punishing, even if you master the battle system).

26) Jade Cocoon

27) Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth (in some respects, the DS rebuild is a better game, as it fixes a LOT of bugs inherent in the game)

28) Arc the Lad collection (given the only release was as a collection of titles, I leave this as one listing)

29) Brigandine

30) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (this is the only Castlevania I make a habit of replaying once every year, at least...love it)

31) Revelations: Persona (the original :) )

32) Legend of Legaia (so corny, so cheesy, and yet the battle system alone makes it worth a playthrough)

33) Wild ARMS

Hmm, I should find that list I wrote for Sk8er sometime back on the DW3 forums.

Edited by ignasia7

Oh, I did Star Ocean 2 and a Breath of Fire game too. Guess I did 6 then.

Heh.  Good picks, but which Breath of Fire?

Anyway, if there is any game I would recommend to you...based what you've presented as your general tastes:

Xenogears is a must.  I mean, if there is just ONE game to pick, Xenogears.

It just says Breath of Fire.  No numeral.  Do you recall anything about the game?  Story or gameplay specific?  Like was it 3D?  Was the camera really difficult to see with?  Was there a special desert scene, where you crossed a very long desert?

Edited by ignasia7

Alright, big update time:

-I completed the Mount Pyre area. I accidently ignored that the game wanted me to go see the Water Dragon in Home World, so I ended up doing the whole area without the Ice Breath item that freezes the lava. I went through a lot of healing tablets, but nothing stood in my way.

Sadly this ment that I wasn't able to save the fairies around the Water Dragon Isle, so...whoops. Razzly will have to carry on their legacy and memory.

-The Dragonian Tower/Ruins was a great dungeon. A few of the bosses were annoying, but they didn't deter my enjoyment of the dungeon. I had the strangest feeling while in the tower though; it felt just like Magus' Keep in a way...

-I've now become Lynx....meooooow. I've just gotten past the point of Radius joining the party, so it's all up to Lynx, Sprigg, Harle, and Radius to find a new way to Another World.

Harle...man, just bring a few tissues along with you.  You'll need them at some point.