Maybe, just maybe...

Also uses random encounters unlike the 3DS version.

But I'm still saying we're not going to get mobile only, since it's the same localization across both.

It's either both versions in the west (staggered or otherwise) or neither, since they would have to spend money and time to localize it either way.

• Upvote 1

1800 yen????

Thats 15 us dollars. if it comes out west it'll be cheaper than 8. Of course with the expensive relocalization it might still be the same as 8. Very interesting

Edit to add

Just to note If DQ7 remake were to come out west for mobile, we won't see it announced it'll just "suddenly" appear on google play/itunes.

Edited by sounderfan84

Yep! So we'll have to watch.

Voraciously. 

1800 yen????

Thats 15 us dollars. if it comes out west it'll be cheaper than 8. Of course with the expensive relocalization it might still be the same as 8. Very interesting

Probably, but I'd wager that would be because of a dual release, 3DS and Mobile, since the 3DS would be to pay for the localization.

The funny part is, while this technically means "cut content", which is what I thought would happen, it DOES mean that Dragon Quest fans get two things if when released in the West:

1) A version with the new and current encounter system, which I, and many many others like, and that appeals to new players.  The 3DS.

2) A version with the old school encounter system, which I, and many (hard to gauge if it's most or just a good portion) long-time fans like.  The Mobile.

So basically, everyone gets something they wanted from this version, and people like me get to experience both!  I'm actually liking this more and more.  I'm now REALLY excited for the impending release in the West.  I think I know why they're withholding on the announcement now.  I think they fear reduced sales in DQH more, though I think they should basically announce DQ8, and state or imply that if DQH and DQ8 3DS sell well, DQ7 and DQ11 will see a release.  I really think they should do that, as that would help boost sales from people in the core community, who are still hesitant to buy DQH.

I had a conversation about this with a friend, and he thought there would be fewer classes as well, but I'm not seeing that.  All classes shown are the base, but even the 3DS site showcases only the base human classes.  I suppose because there seems like no mention of the monster classes it's implied they're not in, but I don't think so, that's not something that would need to be cut out.  I'm also seeing nothing in the text with a copy-paste in google translate, that would remotely indicate such content is removed.

Edited by ignasia7

I think the removal and going back to the random encounter might have something to do with it being more difficult to avoid monsters with touch vs avoiding it on a 3ds but that's just my opinion. 

I assume the costumes are class related?  Or have they taken the DQ9 approach with customization via gear? 

• Upvote 1

It's class related. Whatever class you choose for a character, said characters appearence changes to match it. It's like Final Fantasy 3 and 5 in that sense.

Same thing with monster classes. On the overworld and in battle you appear as the monster, but everywhere else the characters look like their standard selves.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I think the removal and going back to the random encounter might have something to do with it being more difficult to avoid monsters with touch vs avoiding it on a 3ds but that's just my opinion. 

I assume the costumes are class related?  Or have they taken the DQ9 approach with customization via gear? 

I had not thought about that, and that's definitely a good reason.  It could also have to do with widespread device functionality.

Monsters on screen would require a LOT more RAM to account for.  This would reduce resource requirements.  I've also noticed the graphics are slightly crisper in 3DS photos, so I'd wager this is one way to cut down on the full size, since the 3DS would likely be much larger when fully expanded?  I mean even with the expansion of size requirements from 2GB to...what is it now, 5GB?, there's still accounting for older devices with limited capacity, and a lack of expansion slots.

This would all fall in line with assuring maximum sales potential.  I hope the music isn't downgraded from the symphonic suite to the higher grade synth of the DS mobile releases, but at least the higher grade synth sounds close enough to symphonic it's fooled some people into believing it really is (even people on the Den...it's really funny to have read past arguments proclaiming 1~6 have symphonic suites on mobile...).  So that wouldn't be so bad.  It would make Sugiyama-san happier though, lol.

Yep, classes in DQ7's remake have specific model designs.  It's a nice touch that I really want to experience, but it's fun to watch.

2gigs to 4gigs.   I agree with you about monsters on screen would take up ram.  Its one thing if its a monster here and there like in 8 but its another if there are dozens of monsters on the screen in the same area at the same time.

You know what would been nice if SE made it an choice option to have random encounters or new and current encounter system. 

With those with not as powerful phones can select random where those with better more powerful phones can go with current encounter imo.

Edited by sounderfan84

I'm hoping that video isn't representative of the actual visuals.  That looks like not just a blurry version of the 3DS videos I've seen, both gameplay and promo, but a REALLY blurry video.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvxrdk_dragon-quest-vii-3ds-japanese-trailer_videogames

Compare them side-by-side.  The 3DS looks clean, the mobile looks like ass.  So I'm really hoping that video is just some screwup along the line, as it should look equal to, or cleaner than the 3DS.

2gigs to 4gigs.   I agree with you about monsters on screen would take up ram.  Its one thing if its a monster here and there like in 8 but its another if there are dozens of monsters on the screen in the same area at the same time.

You know what would been nice if SE made it an choice option to have random encounters or new and current encounter system. 

With those with not as powerful phones can select random where those with better more powerful phones can go with current encounter imo.

I like that idea, but there's a lot of stuff I wish I could see in the mobile versions.  Like actually making the effort to add in the GBC dungeon, which many have never experienced, and I'm sad for them, because it's really awesome, and definitely my favourite post-game DQ dungeon (just change the system from medals to something else...), and a mode to add in pachisi and play it like the SNES original was meant to be, nevermind adding in actual animations, and maybe taking it one-step further by granting animations in between actions.

Edited by ignasia7

Probably them having to take a copy and lower the quality since yet again SE region locks the one on YouTube.

I'm hoping that video isn't representative of the actual visuals.  That looks like not just a blurry version of the 3DS videos I've seen, both gameplay and promo, but a REALLY blurry video.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvxrdk_dragon-quest-vii-3ds-japanese-trailer_videogames

Compare them side-by-side.  The 3DS looks clean, the mobile looks like ass.  So I'm really hoping that video is just some screwup along the line, as it should look equal to, or cleaner than the 3DS.

I doubt it is.  That's just a downloaded and converted video of what SE posted on youtube which they have it restricted viewing for japan only. When you download a video online when reupload it you lose quality.

Since we can't view the video on youtube, we can only go on what people reupload on another site.

I have read that the mobile version of dq7 remake has a higher resolution than the 3ds version.

Edited by sounderfan84

Just because it has a higher resolution, does not mean crisper graphics.  The higher resolution can be just due to the formatting for portrait mode.

That said, you're probably right about the rip and reuploading.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 1