Sign in to follow this  
Turnip

Miiverse Quest

Hi guys,

I think it might be a good idea to post doodles and/or hand-drawn English messages on the japanese Miiverse community for this game. If many western users will do this while the community is still new and popular, some big wig might notice.

It's probably not going to make any difference, but if you have a 3DS and/or a Wii U and a couple minutes of free time, why not join me? I'll post one pic or message everyday, even if it's just text.

Prologue:

7IKHqum.jpg

GJkmZvw.jpg

kMhwe2B.jpg

Vv1X38h.jpg

Chapter 1:

1sseNOq.jpg

ZMAffaT.jpg

UXWkj7c.jpg

l6fpKqf.jpg

kpdhbAF.jpg

CPbs0DI.jpg

BHGH1LO.jpg

dUg0b8j.jpg

O9SnAve.jpg

cIOBcpb.jpg

rATNg1z.jpg

pKLQMGb.jpg

XnfFbh5.jpg

JkuOBZo.jpg

PsvLxNq.jpg

Y5fTLil.jpg

Chapter 2:

kNy24aD.jpg

RFgbThV.jpg

mvstv8v.jpg

qZyPwub.jpg

IdmLbUB.jpg

q8bXtTG.jpg

Inebkgk.jpg

vf6pa4P.jpg

G7b764b.jpg

RKn9d3R.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ASnPapE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0y7CnVX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ra6IVd4.jpg

P.S. I would gladly join the "Dragon Quest for the West" project, but I currently do not own a PC, and without PhotoShop or Paint Tool Sai I'm totally lost... Sorry, Woodus!

Edited by Turnip
  • Upvote 2

That's a really cool comic!  lol, the hero speaks! 

Feel free to use some of my art and add captions if you like :)

Thank you for your support, Madrigal!

Also, I'm sorry for the bad English (I guess Yangus should have said "you speaked!"): it's not my first language. I hope it won't bother you too much.

Edited by Turnip

It's ok let me know if I can help, I stay busy but I can try.  I don't have photoshop either :( thus why my art is all traditional.

What is your native tongue?

This is wonderfully clever and the art is great. Of course Hero talks now this is that important. Keep it up please with new chapters!

@Madrigal: my native tongue is Italian, my heart is sadly not. I like traditional art better, anyway. Where can I see yours?

@En Garde: thank you so very much for your support, I'll try to keep it going as far as I can! Quality will probably have ups and downs: I'm drawing this from a small New 3DS, and I'm finding it very hard. I won't always have a lot of time to put into it.

There is a 4 panel gag comic of DQVIII that just came out on the sony ebook store in Japan same day as the game, and other Japanese ebook stores. it's 124 pages long. I'm going to try to get it.

2ZaZnd9.jpg

The title text drawing has just reached position number 1 in the "popular drawings" section.

This means that if today Yugi Horii wants to go and check fans' drawings on the Dragon Quest 8 Miiverse community, the first one he'll see is "Dragon Quest: Sail to the West".

If you have a 3DS or a Wii U, please consider joining me in this quest!

• Upvote 2

Can I take the "chapters" and put them together as one image and Tweet (and Facebook and G+) them out.

I can look into joining on my 3DS as well but I cannot draw. :)

What do you need done with Photoshop, I have Corel PhotoPaint but it can do many of the same things, or if you need a free image editor GIMP is very good

Oh, and I like that it is the only thing he can say, very "I am Groot" ;)

Edited by Woodus

Not sure what you were thinking but I added the logo and hashtag, or we could just start a new hashtag #DQSailToTheWest

0.png1.png

Why would you want Photoshop if you can do these with your Nintendo?!

Those are all great looking pics, with good composition and story-telling, making use of the characters' expression and body language, too.

They are more than good enough.

I have a thread in art forum you can see all the links in the thread.

Why would you want Photoshop if you can do these with your Nintendo?!

Those are all great looking pics, with good composition and story-telling, making use of the characters' expression and body language, too.

They are more than good enough.

I agree they are great, and maybe I misunderstood, I thought he just wanted the QuestForTheWest stuff added to the images.

@Woodus: I'm sorry, I realize I haven't made myself clear: I thought that the "Quest for the West" contest required us to draw semi-professional art featuring Dragon Warrior 7 characters, so what I meant to say was that I would have been happy to enter the contest, but I couldn't because I had no way of submitting semi-professional Dragon Warrior 7 art.

Of course I would be more than happy if you shared these comics!

Feel free to do anything you like with them without having to give me any credit: these belong to the Dragon's Den community.

Here are a couple things I would suggest, though:

- Chapter 1 will end in a few panels, so I would wait just a bit more before sharing.

- I like the purple logo, but I think the red Dragon Quest one would be better suited for this comic, as it is reminiscent of the Hero's bright red cap (Akira Toriyama did a wonderful job on him: red, yellow, blue and green work so good together that even Google decided to use them).

@Cesar: Thank you so much for your detailed feedback and your support! And for the link, also.

@Madrigal: Those are some very nice drawings!

P.S. I will probably update very late today and likely with just 1 panel, I'll be quite busy.

Edited by Turnip

Sorry I misunderstood, no worries, I wasn't planning to add the logo, I like your logo that you have. And thanks for letting me share those via social media, I will wait until you are ready :thumbsup:

Even if you cannot submit semi-professional VII pics, as long as they are as "unprofessional" as these VIII drawings, they should be excellent additions. :D

You're art is bello!

Keep up the good work. Don't feel bad, I'm a DQ VIII fan myself - but DQ VII is awesome and hopefully that one will come over west first.

Really, guys, thank you for your support!

I do hope that Dragon Quest 7 will come here first, of course. I'm currently playing through DQV, so I'm looking forward to it.

I will see what I can do, it's just that I know nothing about that game: I should read about it or watch some gameplay first.

Edited by Turnip

You do what you like, the majority of my art is DQ VIII, but I have managed to do 2 DQ VII art pieces-one which took me 15-20 hours to do.  Then I did one DQ XI art piece--anticipating the story.

We all have one or two games in the series we tend to gravitate towards but their all good though :)

3 panels made it into the top 6 popular drawings today.

At least one panel featuring English text has been in the top 6 since september 10th, I really hope to keep it going like this while the DQ8 community is still popular: I want them to know that we exist, that we love this franchise and that we want to throw our money at them as soon as possible.

Anyway, chapter 1 is ending in 3 panels and I will need your feedback!

EiJQUaR.jpg

• Upvote 2

Chapter 1 is done!

If you are reading this, please give me some feedback: was it hard to read? If the answer is yes, was it because of bad English or bad dialogue or both?

Please let me know!

I would just keep the characters' voices in mind when writing the dialogue, and make sure they aren't essentially saying the same thing.

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much for your feedback, En Garde.

I'm afraid my English is not good enough for this, many panels probably sounded very weird to you.

If you or anybody else reading this topic want to give me a hand with the dialogue via PM, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your support, anyway.

P.S. I realize panels 10 to 14 from Chapter 1 ended up being a real mess, probably because I was unsure about the English I had used in the first script.

I'll try to edit those as soon as I get my hands on a PC.

The original dialogue went like this:

10 - Yangus: "... Could it be a spell or something?"

11 - Jessica: "... Maybe. I've never seen anything like this before."

12 - Angelo: "What about this sailing to the west nonsense, anyway?"

13 - Jessica: "I think someone or something might be trying to lure us there."

14 - Jessica: "... Why, though?"

Funny thing is I have a feeling that the first version was the better one, grammar-wise. Oh well.

Edited by Turnip