3 Questions if released on 3DS and Mobile

Dragon Quest VII 3DS/Mobile Purchase Preferences  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

it can't play movies

Over on gbatemp is a Proof of Concept homebrew that allows the 3DS to play video files encoded in either MPEG4 or  H.264https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3damnesic-a-poc-video-player.396184/

Edited by ethanej

Homebrew. My point is proven. You have to hack a 3DS first, essentially breaking warranty.

On a mobile device? You sync a movie or drag and drop, and play it.

~~~

But, I digress. I've gotta say that if DQ7 is released on both platforms? People will buy it on both platforms. I disagree with the "I will never buy the mobile version.", because, eventually...

You won't be pulling out your 3DS. :) 

I still pull out my GB and GBC, NES, SNES, Genesis.

More than I do my iPad.

Edited by Tiael
  • Upvote 1

I guess what I'm referring to is the fact that almost everyone has a mobile device. It makes DQ7 on mobile much easier than trying to sell it on the 3DS.

I see it coming there. I just do. The fact it's coming to mobile in JP helps.

That, and as I stated before, mobile has unified accounts and no (real) region lock (we can play DQMSL SEA, right?).

It's just... I don't know. Somewhere along the line of me growing in the past few years just... I don't know. It feels so off considering the consoles the only place games should go. Especially with how mobile gaming has grown over the past few years.

I'm not downing the 3DS version, mind you. But I want to see it on a platform (mobile) that is much more universally accessible, so everyone can play it. Not just the folk with a 3DS. That way Dragon Quest will grow more and moar.

Edited by Mattcraft

Don't worry buddy, it'll come on both if it comes at all.  I mean, if anything, mobile only, or 3DS + Mobile.  I don't see any possibility of 3DS and no mobile.  Just would be foolish to do mobile only, since even delayed profits can hurt, and it can alienate some members of the fanbase who tend to be bigger spenders in a core series, than outliers.  I don't think they will though.  I think they know demand is mostly requesting 3DS, and figure all 3DS users will one day, as you suggested, probably consider at least trying the mobile version down the line, in between times, and they don't feel like having their 3DS on their person, but yet still wish to play a little DQ8.

I'm already positive that DQH will be a hit in the US.  I'm about positive that DQ7, at least, will sell phenomenally well, and probably off the back of DQH, if only due to close proximity to the hype, and continuing the chain, as fans get excited, and I'm sure some curious FF and KH fanboys, and perhaps some others will jump on the bandwagon as well.  I'll also bet we'll see, as a result of all this, DQ11 on both systems (it would be silly to release it on just one), and DQ8.

Take heart buddy.  Mobile is here to stay, but so are consoles and handhelds.  The market is shaky, but most people assume, wrongly, it has more to do with game quality than it has to do with stress in everyday lives due to lack of funds.  The more stressed a person is, the more likely to nitpick and find fault.  Life is less fun, and it's easier to see problems where there are none or they are insignificant.  Boredom triggers the same thing.  In the end it'll all even out, always does.  Reason always finds a way back, and at some point, some measure of common sense is reestablished as a norm.

• Upvote 1

Homebrew. My point is proven. You have to hack a 3DS first, essentially breaking warranty.

~~~

But, I digress. I've gotta say that if DQ7 is released on both platforms? People will buy it on both platforms. I disagree with the "I will never buy the mobile version.", because, eventually...

Why would I want to watch a movie on my phone? I have my laptop and my TV. I use my phone for audio calls.

And why is it difficult to accept the "I will never buy the mobile version" phrase?

Just like the others, I still play my old consoles. I am looking at my Game Boy Advance SP right now. One meter away from me at the moment. From when I wanted to play Dragon "Warrior" III some time ago. No, I did not think, even for a moment, to get the game on my phone. I was very happy to get my old GBA to play.

And I am currently playing DQ VIII (whenever I have free time) on my PS2. No, no DQ VIII for my phone, either.

The good news? You don't have to agree or disagree with what other people decide to do. No one has to answer to you if they end up liking their old consoles better than their phones. And none of that is decided in function to you.

• Upvote 1

*opens drawer*

*pulls out GBA SP*  =D.  I love that system.  I have the original SP and the fixed true-backlit version.

• Upvote 1

*pulls out GBA SP*  =D.  I love that system.  I have the original SP and the fixed true-backlit version.

...Wait. There was a version with a DIFFERENT backlight? I still play on my SP and my friend has one of the Link Cables, so we sometimes play multiplayer Pokemon. But I've always been so perplexed at why his have such a crisper backlight. I have two SPs, and he has two SPs, and his both have a much crisper backlight. Are there really two versions of the SP with different backlights? It's always baffled me how much better his SPs' backlights are.

...Wait. There was a version with a DIFFERENT backlight? I still play on my SP and my friend has one of the Link Cables, so we sometimes play multiplayer Pokemon. But I've always been so perplexed at why his have such a crisper backlight. I have two SPs, and he has two SPs, and his both have a much crisper backlight. Are there really two versions of the SP with different backlights? It's always baffled me how much better his SPs' backlights are.

The original SP is frontlit.  The last version, the AG-101, is backlit.  The most distinguishing feature at the backlit models are light colours.  Light blue, pink, and graphite (darker grey...or if you want light black).

The original models use solid dark colours like blue, red, black, and silver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Advance_SP

Edited by ignasia7

It really makes a difference.  While I still have my original silver, I only use my light blue.  I can't handle the frontlit version.  I don't know how I ever managed with that model, lol.

I don't get why people dislike mobile.

I don't get why people only want one or the other.

Seriously, I'd happily buy any version (or multiples).

I've bought every mobile release. When I said DQ= SE actually gets my money, I meant it.

~~~

Why would I want to watch a movie on my phone? I have my laptop and my TV. I use my phone for audio calls.

And why is it difficult to accept the "I will never buy the mobile version" phrase?

Just like the others, I still play my old consoles. I am looking at my Game Boy Advance SP right now. One meter away from me at the moment. From when I wanted to play Dragon "Warrior" III some time ago. No, I did not think, even for a moment, to get the game on my phone. I was very happy to get my old GBA to play.

And I am currently playing DQ VIII (whenever I have free time) on my PS2. No, no DQ VIII for my phone, either.

The good news? You don't have to agree or disagree with what other people decide to do. No one has to answer to you if they end up liking their old consoles better than their phones. And none of that is decided in function to you.

You have a PS2. :P I do not. I am stuck with DQ8 on mobile.

I don't get why people dislike mobile.

I don't get why people only want one or the other.

Seriously, I'd happily buy any version (or multiples).

I've bought every mobile release. When I said DQ= SE actually gets my money, I meant it.

I think for a lot of gamers, they see mobile as being a non-traditional method of playing games.  Afterall, it IS a phone first, or a pad for watching movies first (the basic design and concept for what pads were initially meant to be used for, or at least the core marketing when first released).

Even without that, a game has to have controller support built in to even have that option, or has to have support with an app that allows synchronization and button mapping of traditional controllers, be they hardwired or wirelessly connected via bluetooth.  Given not all games do, and one has to use touch controls, there are some gamers who view that as a difficult, clumsy, and uncomfortable way to game, especially under specific lighting conditions where smears/smudges can show up (I suppose it also depends on the screen itself).

Take that, then mix in many industry giants pushing for mobile, especially in Japan.  First was Sega, then Capcom, then Konami, then Square-Enix, and then came smaller companies.  Not just mobile as an offshoot, but discussions that handheld systems would be ultimately replaced by mobile systems.  Perhaps even consoles, as Steam for PC's and Mobile were to somehow take over.  Many companies expressed how well mobile markets were moving along.  Development is cheaper afterall, and one can run smaller teams, or simply convert over, with greater ease, existing game libraries (except Sega, which seems to have misplaced the original code to a number of old games...no seriously, Sega is pathetic, and would almost make Konami look like a reasonable and respectable company, if Konami didn't treat their own employees as slave labour below the sub-par working standards described by ex-EA employees 5~10 years ago).

So there is a sense of hostility.  That gaming will shift from consoles, both home and handheld (yes, handheld are CONSOLES), which are core gaming machines first, with extra services second, to pure multi-tasking units that play games as an third element in their core design mechanics, or systems to which gaming is the second element considered (phones and pads respectively).

It's an understandable position, but one that is unreasonable, as market's always showcase an eventual balance, unless perhaps Sony/MS/Nintendo all drop out of the console market, and no one replaces them, meaning a forced new market.  Since that isn't likely to happen, and too many games are outwardly expressive of their love and support of consoles, despite far reduced resources to purchase with, the industry is starting to even out.

There's also the social question and the nature of cultural norms that allow one market to thrive in ways another is not.  Eastern culture versus Western culture as a general comparison.  Even considering this, there's still a balance in the East with ample room for both mobile and handheld consoles, even amongst those who work long hours.  It's a preferential element versus a convenience and cost-effective element.  Then one has to weigh in long-term and short-term costs, and then perception of cost.

Technically consoles are a lot cheaper than a phone, but most people are likely to have a phone or a pad that can play at least some games, so regardless that replacement tech is more frequent, more costly up front, and any damage means exceedingly higher costs, on top of higher priced warranty plans, and higher cost per-month service plans, mobile is convenient because it's a consistent market.  It's a tool most people require to have for work at the least, and communication and access to research and purchase options on the fly as a secondary element.  Travel friendly, and user friendly, pads offer another level of convenience that disregards total and potential costs.  Then there's the cost per application, which definitely favours mobile.

However, consoles have that thing many relish, and feel is being stripped from them: physical ownership.  A lot of people are pushing for an all-digital universe, which is insane, and unlikely to happen, but they are.  This feels, to those who prefer the sense they have something tangible, as if they're being cornered like animals...well, the general sense of adrenaline, anger, and having an unwanted element forced down ones throat tends to produce similar chemical reactions in the brain and similar response mechanisms, only in this case, verbal responses.

So yes, I think it's understandable, but for me, I realize that the market is pretty open and there is plenty of room for both.  What I don't like is when a company starts cashing in on cheap mobile units, destroys their core development teams for the main console versions, and downgrades a series.  Sega and Konami have been doing this for a long, long, long time now.  When they do return to core-development, they've lost their skills or they no longer care to innovate, or even retain elements of what made those series popular in the first place.  The results are sloppy rehashes that ruin the series, and they return to cheap mobile again.  We've seen this with Sonic and...Castlevania.  It all depends on balance.  So far I don't see the same with other companies like Square-Enix, and it's too early to state teh same for Capcom, as they have come back strong with some great console releases.  So I suppose it depends on a lot of other factors internally within a company.

• Upvote 1

Being the most powerful doesn't always work, nor does being the most convenient. Who won between the Black and White Game Boy vs. the Game Gear? Who won between the Original Xbox vs. the PS2? Which sells more in Japan? Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest? These are just a few things to consider. On topic: I would buy a Physical release of DQ7 on 3DS, and only that. (stubborn like that, that and it's my preference)

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I let these die, but this is quite telling:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/688276-dragon-quest-vii/72444709

There are far more pure mobile supporters that frequent this site, than frequent GameFAQs.

Here are the results of the other two, but the above is the key and most important poll of the trio.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/688276-dragon-quest-vii/72444745

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/688276-dragon-quest-vii/72444789

I should've kept it up though.  The main poll doubled in the final 3 days before they went dead (48 to 96 votes...yeah, literally double).  I'm guessing most of the fanbase was elsewhere.  I wonder what numbers would be present if I had kept up with it, and kept it alive, since they've been dead now for almost 2 weeks.

I don't even need to think about this. The 3DS version is the one I can play with buttons, so I won't care for the mobile version in any way. I can't imagine playing such a huge game with awkward touch controls. RPGs just don't work well on smart devices.

• Upvote 1

Just now saw this poll. The results aren't too surprising from what I would have suspected. Mobile ports are nice, but for a big title like VII most gamers will want it on a real gaming platform. Its okay if we get a mobile version as well, just so long as we don't get only a mobile version.

• Upvote 1