3 Questions if released on 3DS and Mobile

Dragon Quest VII 3DS/Mobile Purchase Preferences  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a pretty fun exercise, and while some may think this futile, I personally believe that SE is keeping a close eye on the fanbase of late.  So perhaps they come here periodically to check up, and even if not, this is a fun poll to point to.

This is not JUST for DQ7, but for Dragon Quest in general, to get a gauge of the fanbase and our purchasing preferences should this game come out, and to give SE an idea of how our purchase preferences would break down, at least in the present time.

So for those who just assume this is a lost cause, indulge me and consider this a way to showcase how you would like to buy a game, should this choice pop up in our reality.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 1

Basically I'd buy at least 1 physical copy on the first day, and over time extras as backup, and since I plan for extra systems at some point, digital downloads for each.  Any android and/or ios I plan on a purchase for.

The poll is a bit weird and won't let me skip the one question and I don't want to skew the results.

Here is how I would vote:

1. 3DS only

2. It would depend on how the game was released I'd pick up a copy either Physical or digital.

3. NA

Edited by ethanej

Ethanej, it's based purely on preferences.

So for the 3DS imagine it's both physical and digital download.  If you prefer physical, pick physical, if you prefer digital download, pick that.  If you want both at some point, then pick that.

I don't know what you mean by weird, as it is organized and well balanced poll.  I cannot structure it based on release types, as that overcomplicates the poll and THAT would muddy the results.  This is clean as it is, and you're overthinking it.  It's just based on that.

As per mobile, since you don't want mobile, don't pick anything, you don't have to answer, because you're not going to buy it.  That's the point based on how I structured the wording of the question related to mobile.

As per your first point...well there's a 3DS only option.

Edited by ignasia7

3DS day one with the mobile at a later date.

Physical copy.

Android for the mobile version.

Maybe I'd buy a digital 3DS version, but if I did I'd wait till it was on a good sale like 15 or 20 bucks. I didn't regret buying a digital copy of Etrian Odyssey 4 and Untold 1 at that price, and I'd do the same for DQ7.

The poll is a bit weird and won't let me skip the one question and I don't want to skew the results.

1. 3DS only

2. It would depend on how the game was released I'd pick up a copy either Physical or digital.

3. NA

1) There is a 3DS only option up above..not sure how you missed it

2) There is an option for either physical or digital.  The point is assume it's both, which format would you prefer owning, I'm not sure how that makes it weird.

3) NA?  What do you mean?  Not Applicable?  As in N/A?  If so, then just don't answer it, clearly it's meant to be answered if you answered mobile in the first question.

Please vote based on how the poll is organized, and assume the 3DS will see both a physical and digital release.  It's about preferences, and I cannot write in an option indicating only one or the other based on release type when preferences which is an entirely separate question.

It's a solid scientifically organized poll.  Pretty straight forwards stuff, and I'm unclear what you mean by wierd.

Yeah I selected 3DS only in the poll and it kicked back with an error saying that I needed to answer the last question even though I have no intention of buying the mobile version. 

I added in an option for those who want to clearly express they don't plan on buying a mobile or 3DS in questions 2 and 3.

1. 3DS only

3. NA

1) There is a 3DS only option up above..not sure how you missed it

2) There is an option for either physical or digital.  The point is assume it's both, which format would you prefer owning, I'm not sure how that makes it weird.

3) NA?  What do you mean?  Not Applicable?  As in N/A?  If so, then just don't answer it, clearly it's meant to be answered if you answered mobile in the first question.

Please vote based on how the poll is organized, and assume the 3DS will see both a physical and digital release.  It's about preferences, and I cannot write in an option indicating only one or the other based on release type when preferences which is an entirely separate question.

It's a solid scientifically organized poll.  Pretty straight forwards stuff, and I'm unclear what you mean by wierd.

Yeah I selected 3DS only in the poll and it kicked back with an error saying that I needed to answer the last question even though I have no intention of buying the mobile version. 

Seriously?  Sorry man, I wish I knew that.  Well, it's fixed now.

3DS physical only.

At least one for me, plus one for my boyfriend.

If there is only one save-file per card, or if more than one card is needed to trade things (like in Monsters games), I would buy an extra copy for myself (like I did for IX).

3DS physical, mobile at much later date or when on sale, iOS.

Something to mention... a single Android (( And iOS, you can have the same account on an iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad for one )) account can be used on multiple devices. Android specifically up to 5.

So you don't need to buy 7 for every device, in that sense.

3DS physical only.

At least one for me, plus one for my boyfriend.

If there is only one save-file per card, or if more than one card is needed to trade things (like in Monsters games), I would buy an extra copy for myself (like I did for IX).

There are three saves per card. There is a streetpass aspect though, so you may want to get another copy. (Though you'd need another 3DS to streetpass with, too.)

• Upvote 1

3DS only,Day One Physical Copy and I would probably pick up the guide as well if one is made since I actually like to collect those.

Something to mention... a single Android (( And iOS, you can have the same account on an iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad for one )) account can be used on multiple devices. Android specifically up to 5.

So you don't need to buy 7 for every device, in that sense.

So iOS on 3 devices, so long as they're individually distinct types, and Android, 5 devices period?  What about Kindle with Android, does that count as an Android device?

A Kindle uses Amazon's webstore. If Dragon Quest at all is on the Amazon Appstore, then it would be an option.

You can sideload GP on it though.

Hmm, only 19 people so far.  I'm hoping to see at least 30 at some point soon.  This needs to see at least a decent number participants (I'd wager 50+ at minimum, to be a decent gauge of at least the more dedicated of the fanbase).  I'm hoping the GameFAQs versions I put up there, will also see more traction over time.

I really am serious when I say that I want SE to get a good idea as to how fans break down in their decisions based on this scenario.  It will also give them a good idea as to how this translates to a mobile only release.

Hmm, only 19 people so far.  I'm hoping to see at least 30 at some point soon.  This needs to see at least a decent number participants (I'd wager 50+ at minimum, to be a decent gauge of at least the more dedicated of the fanbase).  I'm hoping the GameFAQs versions I put up there, will also see more traction over time.

I really am serious when I say that I want SE to get a good idea as to how fans break down in their decisions based on this scenario.  It will also give them a good idea as to how this translates to a mobile only release.

Well, unscientifically speaking:  3DS >> Mobile.

• Upvote 2

Noh. Mobile >>> 3DS.

More specifically, in content and raw power. The 3DS is... a really shitty machine, compared to the Vita and most mobile devices.

It can't play Minecraft (( Though SOMEHOW it'll be able to run Terraria, PROVE IT RELOGIC~ )), it can't play movies or crap like that (( Suprised it does Netflix )), and while it has it's own charm with the Nintendo-quality (( And Nintendo-made, though SE and Crapcom do make some good stuff... )) titles...

It simply cannot compete with the diversity that is mobile. Sure, you can buy Pyoro (( A bird-game for a buck )) on a 3DS. But can you buy Breach and Clear? Or Sword and Sworcery? Or Shadowgate Returns? Or Dragon Quest titles localized and new (( Mobile ))?.

Nope! It's a closed-source archaic system. 

Nintendo needs to grow up a bit more! Give us a tablet or something! Give us a unified account system (so I can have an excuse to buy a 3DS again, I can't just re-download all those eShop titles I had, because Nintendo ties purchases to hardware, not your account!) or something!

Noh. Mobile >>> 3DS.

More specifically, in content and raw power. The 3DS is... a really shitty machine, compared to the Vita and most mobile devices.

It can't play Minecraft (( Though SOMEHOW it'll be able to run Terraria, PROVE IT RELOGIC~ )), it can't play movies or crap like that (( Suprised it does Netflix )), and while it has it's own charm with the Nintendo-quality (( And Nintendo-made, though SE and Crapcom do make some good stuff... )) titles...

It simply cannot compete with the diversity that is mobile. Sure, you can buy Pyoro (( A bird-game for a buck )) on a 3DS. But can you buy Breach and Clear? Or Sword and Sworcery? Or Shadowgate Returns? Or Dragon Quest titles localized and new (( Mobile ))?.

Nope! It's a closed-source archaic system. 

Nintendo needs to grow up a bit more! Give us a tablet or something! Give us a unified account system (so I can have an excuse to buy a 3DS again, I can't just re-download all those eShop titles I had, because Nintendo ties purchases to hardware, not your account!) or something!

It's not an argument of which is more powerful.  PC has always been more powerful than consoles, despite the number of douches who insisted the PS3's core was somehow more powerful than a Quad-Core i7 overclocked to 3ghz per core, 16gb gddr5 ram, and whatever Nvidia was offering at the time.  Heck, even a mid-range gaming PC was stronger at the time,  That doesn't change that consoles are the more popular unit to play traditionally console games, while PC is still the place where people play traditionally PC games.  A few exceptions with games like Mass Effect and Bioshock, but even Fallout 3 sold better on PC than on console, and had that nice option of customization one gets with PC that is impossible with a console, let alone altering graphics and sound settings to ones personal preferences, either for draw distance, speed, or if the system can hack it, maxing everything.

It's the point about a gaming system as a preferred medium to play games in.  I find it funny that 3 years ago you were screaming with the rest of us about mobile overtaking consoles, now you've done a 180, and need to defend mobile at every turn, even against some of the more benign points about the differences, that are rather clear and obvious in their interpretation.

Clearly, right now, mobile units are more powerful, but that doesn't mean they're built to handle gaming.  They heat up MUCH faster, and battery power isn't really designed for extended gaming use, except for pads, which were designed for extended movie and design application usage.

However, actual graphical capability does not make a machine...an argument you personally made in the past, but now seem unable to fathom for its logic, in your blind rampant need to keep mobile on top, as you feel the sole defender.

Dude, I don't hate mobile.  I don't recall Platty ever hating on mobile.

The 3DS is a decent system. It's not great, it's not particularly powerful, but even the Vita is a joke if we make a similar comparison, as multiplatform games run like ass on the Vita when they try to match PS4, and even PS3 graphics and draw distance, as much as possible, to maintain some consistency in gaming experience.  The frames drop, and the games are then unplayable.  Does that mean all games on the system suck?  No.  Is game design flawed because the system is not as powerful as a home console?  I could certainly argue it using the same logic, but no, it's not. What matters is if 3rd party releases exist, and they do.  Are all games on it?  No, but can you play every single game ever conceived of, or currently available on consoles, on your mobile?  Oh, that's right, no you can't.  Sure, mobile, as a platform, is getting a number of multiplatform releases, and that's great, but it is not even getting a majority of them, and half are years in delay, or haven't been properly converted.  Even from PC.  So it's not like the library is that fantastic, however, you can always argue that given it is mobile, the downloads will be available longer, and thus the library just continues to grow.  That's definitely a strength, but that doesn't mean it makes sense to trash a system with the sole design of playing games, and actually happens to do so well.

Sure, some design mechanics in the 3DS are shitty, but then, I can say the same for many phone design options, for various models.  There's also the flaw that mobile phones have where, what if down the road, Apple and Android are forced to alter their code to a point where companies need to release compatibility patches.  What then if a company goes under, or they no longer care, or say...they take a VERY long time to update, and it's anyone's guess if they will soon, figuring it will be some time before the new model is adopted, so they don't feel a need to take initiative yet?

Who knows, but that is a hypothetical, and a relatively unfair one.

It does look rather silly to defend mobile as you are.  It's like you're trying to assert that anyone who feels differently is a fool for doing so, is capitulating to Nintendo, and being their $#!&@, simply because the 3DS, from a technical perspective, isn't another carbon copy, cookie cutter attempt to beat out mobile, or even compete.  It's a logical argument, but there's more to life than logic, it's why reason is the highest form of thought, not logic.  Logic is only half of reason.  The other missing element is if a system has diversity of games, good quality games with good quality experiences, and if they properly use the features of that system to their fullest, and most actually do enjoy playing on it.  Can we say that for the 3DS, despite the clear and obvious lack of power inherent in the system, and some design elements like poor shoulder buttons and a weak hinge?

Chill Matt. Chill.

• Upvote 1

It's actually kind of funny how you carry on about Mobile these days Matt.

It's like you want to get people on your side, lest the haters start demanding mobile phones be tossed into the fire, and be burned, then their ashes stomped on, and then...peed upon, as we dance around in pitch forks, gleefully singing about our courageous deed in destroying the evil Mobile systems!

Really, the problem isn't mobile itself, it's the way SE is handling it, in terms of seemingly making it a preference, or a possible preference over the 3DS version, which, you have to recall, is the most requested version.  Just remember how you were back then, when you actually did like the 3DS, recall the sense and knowledge that playing a game on a console feels pretty damn good, because...it's a system designed for this.  You know the errors are likely to be zero to none, with a few exceptions.  No compatibility problems, that's for sure.  Limited to no crashing issues.  That later on, you can get into the mobile, as you need or as it becomes more convenient for you.

Just realize that there is a good reason some of us actually WANT to play it on the 3DS, and stop trying to make us look like a bunch of bools and tools.  That's not cool.  That's like the whole...your SNES is nowhere near as powerful as my PC.  Your Playstation sucks compare to my PC.  PC MASTRE RCAE!   I mean PC Master Race!  Yeah...that's the right spelling!  Nevermind I jack it on the street corner to my mom, the only woman that loves me, so I have an ego deficiency only fulfilled by promoting my superiority by stating my system is stronger.  Well, I have more fun games on my SNES/PSX/GCN/Whatever where the design mechanics go into just the gameplay itself because it's one architecture, and less into the various systems it has to work for.  Seriously though, PC/mobile master race believers need to meet women (or men).

Remember that reasoning.  It's pretty sound.  It has logic to it, sure, the opposite position has plenty of logic, but I don't give a hoot if a system has more powerful so long as I like the games for it.  Just remember, the mobile releases were made prior to it, for that system, and made as well as they were initially, because they were designed only around a particular system design, so they could be as creative with that architecture as possible.

Oh, yeah, TL:DR, less is more buddy.  Less.  Is.  More.

(yes, I do realize how that sounds coming from me =p)

Oh right, I forgot to address your second two statements...

I agree, wholeheartedly.  Region lock needs to go, and a unified account needs to come in.  Maybe one that accounts for my Wii purchases as well, but that's wishing for a lot.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 2

If it weren't for the crappy shoulder buttons, I'd love the 3DS as a gaming machine. What I don't love is that the only games I *really* want to play on the system are all region locked and only playable in Japanese. The region lock I can get around, but the language barrier is a far bigger problem. It takes me twice as long to do anything in DQ7 when I can't understand 90% of the text. (I can read katakana, and I've memorized most of the menu entries, which was pretty easy thanks to having a nearly identical layout to the Playstation version). I'm over 50 hours into the game, and I'm only in (past) Dune.

The other games I have/had are basically filler so I had something to play until I got my Gateway card and my copy of DQVII3D. Except Shantae. I'd wanted that game for a while, but didn't want to spend $300+ for the rare cartridge. Thank you, Virtual Console!

• Upvote 1

Calm yo tits Matt.

• Upvote 1

If it weren't for the crappy shoulder buttons, I'd love the 3DS as a gaming machine. What I don't love is that the only games I *really* want to play on the system are all region locked and only playable in Japanese. The region lock I can get around, but the language barrier is a far bigger problem. It takes me twice as long to do anything in DQ7 when I can't understand 90% of the text. (I can read katakana, and I've memorized most of the menu entries, which was pretty easy thanks to having a nearly identical layout to the Playstation version). I'm over 50 hours into the game, and I'm only in (past) Dune.

The other games I have/had are basically filler so I had something to play until I got my Gateway card and my copy of DQVII3D. Except Shantae. I'd wanted that game for a while, but didn't want to spend $300+ for the rare cartridge. Thank you, Virtual Console!

You'd think they would've assured long-term viability given it was one of the two main complaints on the original DS.

From what I've gathered, the frequency isn't as high, so it is possibly they improved them, but not by much.

Edited by ignasia7