And we're either getting both versions or none.

Not when localization costs are the thing holding it back in general, they aren't going to localize it and not use it wherever they can.

They sure as hell won't recoup costs if they only localized mobile.

• Upvote 3

Not really surprising, we knew DQVII was coming to iOS/Android for Japan back when they announced DQI-DQVIII were in 2013.

Everything else has already released, now it's DQVII's time.

Edited by Tiael
  • Upvote 1

Hehe.  That was kind of obvious.  Cool though.  I'm both excited, and rather upset at the same time.

This would be highly unlikely but I really hope they don't just release on mobile and leave it at that. No offense to people who like mobile gaming, but it's not the same feeling as an actual handheld console release.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

This would be highly unlikely but I really hope they don't just release on mobile and leave it at that. No offense to people who like mobile gaming, but it's not the same feeling as an actual handheld console release.

So i should pay almost 200 dollars just to play it? I don't think so.

Huh? I didn't say I hope they don't release it on mobile AT ALL. I just don't want a mobile ONLY release.

• Upvote 2

I always assumed they'd use the original PS1 version to port it. I hope we get this one just like all the others. The mobile team seems to do a good job, like finishing DQIV's translation. We might even get the 3DS version because of this.

I always assumed they'd use the original PS1 version to port it. I hope we get this one just like all the others. The mobile team seems to do a good job, like finishing DQIV's translation. We might even get the 3DS version because of this.

Na they were never going to use the ps1 and do another complete port again.  3ds version the file structure is already up to date. 

its cheaper just to port and localize the japanese 3ds version to mobile out west than having to report the ps1 version again which would require them doing the same work they already done to port it to 3ds.

Na they were never going to use the ps1 and do another complete port again.  3ds version the file structure is already up to date. 

its cheaper just to port and localize the japanese 3ds version to mobile out west than having to report the ps1 version again which would require them doing the same work they already done to port it to 3ds.

They never ported it to 3DS anyway. The 3DS version is a full remake.

I'll laugh if we get this over the 3DS version.

And then I'll cry.

Yeah, this was what I was getting at in my initial comment here.

And then I'll cry.

I would be curious in how a DQ7 mobile version western release would sell in comparisons to the other 7 mobile games.  

Definitely wouldn't do as well as the 3DS version wouldn't. Right now, DQ1 is the bestselling DQ game on Android, at 50,000 downloads. DQ6, DQ8 & DQ2 all have 10,000. And DQ3, DQ4, & DQ5 only have 5,000. DQ7 being such a long game would definitely not do as well as DQ1 on a mobile device...probably closer to DQ 3, 4, & 5's numbers. Also, taking into account reports from fans who have tried playing the mobile ports of 4, 5, 6, & 8 who all say that they're not very playable on a phone as opposed to a tablet, it's a fair guess to say that 7 will be the same way, since it's coming from a 3DS game.

All of this said, I don't think they would be foolish enough to do a mobile-only release for 7.

Edited by AustNerevar

I don't think so either. But this is Dragon Quest we're talking about, decisions made for it in the west... tend not to make sense sometimes.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I could see SE releasing it on mobile and then complaining about the poor sales afterward:

"Well, they said they wanted DQ7, but they lied to us. I guess DQ just isn't a Western-style game."

Never mind that DQ is literally set in Western-inspired fantasy realms. It's a JRPG trying to be a classic medieval slay the dragon story. It's a JRPG about dragons and castles. It's a western video game wet dream.

They really missed their window when they could cash out on the Akira Toriyama name. They should have went full force during that period of time, but they took too long in between releases and didn't market their games professionally.

Well that settles it for me. From here on, out gonna import DQVII and DQVIII 3DS Japanese versions. With thr region free unlocking hack that somebody got, u can play any 3DS game on it

Edited by nolbertos
  • Upvote 1

Huh? I didn't say I hope they don't release it on mobile AT ALL. I just don't want a mobile ONLY release.

Don't worry, it's not coming. Ever. In any fashion.

And then I'll cry.

I would be curious in how a DQ7 mobile version western release would sell in comparisons to the other 7 mobile games.

Look at dq8 mobile sales compared to the others for an example.

And then I'll cry.

I'm not the only one who would avoid it like the plague.

Normal mobile customers are also highly unlikely to buy it, given the price point is likely to be a might higher than DQ8, and 8 even when on sale, doesn't exactly move many units since the first two weeks after release.  It's been stuck in the same number range since those first two weeks, and it's had a number of sales since then.

I'll get both for sure, if it's both, but the US crowd is distinct from the Japanese crowd.

Another thing about the mobile release is, both the mobile and the 3DS use DL content and can be patched actively, so unlike the DS, PS2, and original mobile (Japan only) releases, that the mobile games for 1~3, 4~6, and 8 were based on, it's far less likely that the mobile version of DQ7 will be distinct, in any way, from the 3DS release aside from alterations to the tag functionality, but even for the US version that can be adapted and altered for a 3DS release if they wanted to, without much effort on SE's part.

Yeah, I could see SE releasing it on mobile and then complaining about the poor sales afterward:

"Well, they said they wanted DQ7, but they lied to us. I guess DQ just isn't a Western-style game."

Never mind that DQ is literally set in Western-inspired fantasy realms. It's a JRPG trying to be a classic medieval slay the dragon story. It's a JRPG about dragons and castles. It's a western video game wet dream.

They really missed their window when they could cash out on the Akira Toriyama name. They should have went full force during that period of time, but they took too long in between releases and didn't market their games professionally.

Actually, they still can.  The uptick in Dragonball youtube videos is REALLY high right now, in light of Dragonball Super.  Everyone knows eventually it will see release outside Japan, as...I mean it's bloody Dragonball. 

Well that settles it for me. From here on, out gonna import DQVII and DQVIII 3DS Japanese versions. With thr region free unlocking hack that somebody got, u can play any 3DS game on it

What, why? What has that got to do with this bit of news?

Don't worry, it's not coming. Ever. In any fashion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't there been an announcement regarding VII for 3DS? At the very least, you can't state that it'll never come, so resolutely, despite how bleak it may appear.

Actually, they still can.  The uptick in Dragonball youtube videos is REALLY high right now, in light of Dragonball Super.  Everyone knows eventually it will see release outside Japan, as...I mean it's bloody Dragonball. 

I guess I forgot about Super. Has anyone else been watching it, by the way? It's pretty good, so far.

Edited by AustNerevar

There was the Horii statement, which you can take as an unofficial announcement, depending on what you want to read into it, or just a desire to appease fans by stating what he wishes to see happen.  Then again, the demand for 7 has been pretty high, and SE has made it obvious we're aware.  The problem is the lack of genuine communication and the way people reported Horii's press conference lends a lot of leeway into interpretation.  I've been called out for being foolish in taking it as more than hearsay, despite that Horii has almost full control of the series...almost, and has to give his legal permission for SE to localize, as do the other copyright holders.

Anyway, it's a mess, but take Platty's position as him being Platty.  He's always like that, until he sees official confirmation.  Smart money is to take that position, so as to avoid the frustration and grief of wanting the game you feel you cannot have.  It also avoids personalizing it, as I've seen a number of people do, including some good friends of mine, who really seem to despise SE on a rather unhealthy level, and take it as SE committing a personal act of aggression against US/EU fans.  His basis for this was initially Sega, and their provable biased treatment of fans in the US and Europe, but especially the US.  Oh yes, Sega has made it clear the upper management feel some personal hatred or embarrassment over the success of the company in the US especially, but even in Europe, versus Japan.  Nintendo was always the clear dominator in Japan, even in the 16-bit era.  It was never a question of Sega ever having a chance of catching up.  A lot has to do with the way Sega of America was run in the 16-bit era, and their approach to advertising, versus how they handled the system release of the Megadrive in Japan.  The Genesis, outside Japan, just dominated as a result, at least until the later years, when the SNES caught up due to having more Japanese 3rd party support, and offering overall more games, and higher quality overall in the end.  Plus you have Starfox, Super Metroid, and the Rare games...oh did Rare make a difference.  Anyway, there's a lot of speculation based on actions taken by Sega of Japan, in firing the man who assured the Genesis dominated the SNES, and replacing him with an incompetent buffoon who failed to maintain the same vigor and utterly lost the 32-bit generation due to piss poor attempts at marketing.  You can really see the differences.  Sega of America really seemed cowed, almost nonexistent, after being such a strong contender in the 16-bit era.

Anyway, the point is, the zeal expressed by some people in anti-SE hatred, can be a bit consuming of one-self, and lead to some really poor choices and actions, but in a way, SE has provoked this because...well, internets and the hobbies people love, combined with a knowledge and understanding that DQ is profitable and can grow, as proven by 9's sales, leads to frustration an angst.  Platty is just trying to avoid going down that dark spiral altogether.  I think it goes the same for a few others here, like Matt and Jamirus, though in their own respective ways.

Maybe I haven't said it enough lately. Yes, it's just me being me. It should be in my signature... It's not coming. I've said it hundreds of times here. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Until the cold hard plastic is in my hands and I can read every English word on the box, I won't believe it's here.

😜

• Upvote 2

Maybe I haven't said it enough lately. Yes, it's just me being me. It should be in my signature... It's not coming. I've said it hundreds of times here. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Until the cold hard plastic is in my hands and I can read every English word on the box, I won't believe it's here.

😜

That's our Platty! (Cue audience laughter and applause)

• Upvote 1