Sign in to follow this  
RyuKisargi

I know why we never get proper responses from SE corporate...

It's been on a few sites now, Gawker, GoNintendo, etc.

But recently a Treehouse employee got fired for breaking their NDA contract with Nintendo by talking to a podcast, unapproved.

Apparently these things are common. So no wonder why we get "No comment." and half-words. I doubt even Horii himself can talk to us directly without a lawyer present now.

Companies suck. I can understand a NDA for... I don't know, discussing private employee information and upcoming games and junk, but by now, this is the internet. We see leaks and half-confirmations and everything else.

Is it that hard for the corporate mentality to just say either "We have no plans at this time to do X", "We are discussing the possibility of doing X", or "We're working on X now! Check back for more details.".  Instead, stuff like PSO2 is simply not discussed by Sega at all, or DQ? "Oh, try Heroes!".

>(

It's been on a few sites now, Gawker

Ugh, why would you go there, friend? You can lose your soul that way.

Not to be even more depressing, but where I work we internally have cancelled projects, but never make the information released to the public.  This is in case 5 years down the line someone decides to revive the project.  This is a common practice, because officially cancelling something already announced to the public looks bad and is way too final.

With that said, I've always believed that DQVII will be released here.  Moreso now with the announcement of Dragon Quest XI for 3DS.  Think of it this way... why release Dragon Quest Heroes, a game that was not heavily asked for and only for the console with the smaller market share?  Sure, it has way less text than DQVII, but when you consider the cost of voice actors among other things, the localization would still probably be more expensive, especially for a ps4 game that will be more expensive to market.  They are testing the market (how many Dragon Quest fans own PS4's?) and building up hype for the even more expensive game to localize.  They haven't released Dragon Quest games in how many years?  Dropping Dragon Quest XI in the current market would be stupid.  That is why I believe Dragon Quest VII will come, to serve the same purpose on the 3DS.

• Upvote 1

I would like to note, if Dragon Quest Heroes really bombs, I don't see anymore Dragon Quest games here for a long time.  It really is a critical title for SE and us.  This isn't unusual, if a game bombs, why make a sequel?  The problem is that SE is stupid for using Dragon Quest Heroes, a game that is not "really" a DQ game.  But think who would make this decision?  Someone who doesn't understand the intricacies of gameplay, and only thinks in the broader sense of a franchise.  It's big business, and even if actual Dragon Quest games do well here, they look at the overall numbers.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it's going to bomb. But it probably "won't meet expectations" since Square Enix seems to have unrealistic ones. 

The collectors editions are selling pretty quickly so hopefully they'll take that as a good sign.

Edited by DarkBaramos

DQXI has -not- been announced for release in the international arena on ANY system.

Nor has any other recent DQ title, excepting Heroes.

And I doubt Heroes will bomb. It'll do pretty well, Dynasty-style games do well here. Moreso because this is a series that DESPERATELY needs an oomph of some kind. And an awesome ARPG with DQ at the core? *salivate* If I would play it beyond the title itself, I'd get a PS4 and Heroes.

Sorry ya'll, but DQ at the core is stale. It's a grind-heavy title, and titles like Heroes, Swords, and to a lesser extent, Monsters bring people in that wouldn't play it.

Too bad Pokemon is too big here for SE to consider a Monsters title for the US...

Is it that hard for the corporate mentality to just say either "We have no plans at this time to do X", "We are discussing the possibility of doing X", or "We're working on X now! Check back for more details.". Instead, stuff like PSO2 is simply not discussed by Sega at all, or DQ? "Oh, try Heroes!".

>(

You know, everyone gets mad when they do this, now they want them to do this. People need to pick one.

And also, SEGA's official stance is that Phantasy Star Online 2 is delayed.

Horii has stated, since about 2001/2002, that he was interested in making an action oriented Dragon Quest.  Heroes fits that role.

Heroes has also sold relatively well in Japan, especially in light of the low Hyrule Warrior's sales (about 145k versus 330k in Japan), for a Dynasty Warrior's build.  Actually, I take that back.  Dragon Quest Heroes is the highest grossing Dynasty Warrior's build of game since 2002, in Japan, if both the PS3 and 4 sales are accounted for.  It's less "multi-system" than going PS4/Xbone since most PS3 players are bound to get a PS4, and most PS4 players likely had either a PS3 or PS2.

My point is, it's catering to roughly the same audience, but offering two versions, the economy and first class packages.

DQHeroes clearly does not cater to DQ fans, and I don't think it was ever intended to do so.  The point of DQHeroes is more likely to bring in new blood.  They're certainly not oblivious to the notion that very few DQ fans have requested DQHeroes, and that most DQ fans who have made statements, have made it clear that the standard system games and the monsters games are the more highly desired product.  They're also aware some DQ fans are likely to pick up the game, but as far as spin-offs go, even in Japan, DQH pales in comparison to other series, especially Monsters.  In the US though, it has a solid shot of bringing in a more action oriented crowd.  Say what you will about a transition from action gameplay to turn-based, I myself was a convert with FF1, as I'm sure most other gamers.  We have to remember, most games are action oriented to some degree.  The controller is always in use, until a pause button is pressed.

Combine that with how they've treated the mobile games.  They're releasing them, and since the facebook and twitter pages, we've seen some posts concerning the mobile releases, however, they've yet to make a webpage and web portal, or replace, even for a day, any banner related to DQ, to one of the mobile games, yet they've so far used 3 banners for the Facebook page.

My opinion is they're aiming to draw people who wouldn't ordinarily play DQ, to get excited.  I wonder though, why we haven't seen any official release of the free monsters game on phones.  Now THAT would draw in crowds.  This does seem to me an utter lack of comprehension for the potential growth of DQ in the West via Super Light, especially given the market in the US is very different for mobile, than it is in Japan.  Sure SE has seen very good sales for most of their mobile releases, but how many of those are old fans who simply have a phone, and wish a convenient version to play, versus how many are actual new customers?  Considering the marketable potential and sales numbers in the Mobile sector of society, most people who play them, do so for the same reason Farmville and Candy Crush became popular: free/exceedingly cheap.

The only Dragon Quest game to see continually growing sales, is DQ1, and the only one lagging, far, but still with some growth, is DQ2.  The price point, it seems, is anything under $5 moves fast on mobile, while anything $5 and above is hard for most mobile players, at least in the US, and maybe the EU, to justify, particular when considering the number of free to play games, and just insanely cheap games.

Anyway, my point is that I see DQH and the mobile releases, as a precursor to a larger project of DQ in the US.  I think they want DQ to become at least relatively well known, or acquainted with more gamers, and they've done a pretty solid job keeping up DQ news at one point or another, once a month.  If nothing has happened for US/EU news in a month, SE seems to make a statement, or requests an archived interview sudden pop up, or schedules an actual interview.

They seem to really want to keep DQ being discussed and present, even if they can't currently get any serious traction in the mainstream.  Some traction, but not continuous.  However, they have gained a lot of attention for DQ7, as that is still the most requested game of any SE game, at least visually, since FF7 remake was a thing.  Maybe even more vocally requested than KH3 was, prior to being announced (look at the number of KH requests on SE's "blog" versus DQ7...it's ridiculous).

I don't understand why people are even bothering going "kh3 plz", it's a guaranteed thing.

• Upvote 1

DQXI has -not- been announced for release in the international arena on ANY system.

Nor has any other recent DQ title, excepting Heroes.

And I doubt Heroes will bomb. It'll do pretty well, Dynasty-style games do well here. Moreso because this is a series that DESPERATELY needs an oomph of some kind. And an awesome ARPG with DQ at the core? *salivate* If I would play it beyond the title itself, I'd get a PS4 and Heroes.

Sorry ya'll, but DQ at the core is stale. It's a grind-heavy title, and titles like Heroes, Swords, and to a lesser extent, Monsters bring people in that wouldn't play it.

Too bad Pokemon is too big here for SE to consider a Monsters title for the US...

No one ever said DQXI was announced.  I'm just saying the people in charge knew of DQXI's existence well before they ever considered Dragon Quest Heroes for localization.  This just seems like the most likely scenario.

As a side note, I don't understand when people call Dragon Quest grind heavy.  I haven't had to grind for the campaign in a Dragon Quest game since the nes days.  Even Dragon Warrior IV is beatable without grinding, although it is hard as hell.  The only exception would be Dragon Warrior VII if you prepared your party poorly, and even then it's only the final boss that you have to grind for.  I get the impression that too many people "Attack/Heal" as their only strategy (or never take risks).

Edited by IvorEvilen
  • Upvote 1

As a side note, I don't understand when people call Dragon Quest grind heavy.  I haven't had to grind for the campaign in a Dragon Quest game since the nes days.  Even Dragon Warrior IV is beatable without grinding, although it is hard as hell.  The only exception would be Dragon Warrior VII if you prepared your party poorly, and even then it's only the final boss that you have to grind for.  I get the impression that too many people "Attack/Heal" as their only strategy (or never take risks).

You obviously haven't played DW7.

• Upvote 1

You obviously haven't played DW7.

I've beaten DW7 over 7x now (I think 9, but I lost count).  I'd have to agree, though I'll say, except for the initial trilogy, and maybe the first two chapters in IV, I've never been forced to grind in any DQ.  I just choose to more often than not, but in knowing the battle system even to a minute degree, I find it's pretty easy to get away with just killing as I go.  Just no running from anything, but no backing down on a potential battle/kill.

Sure, if I want extra jobs, there's definitely a grind, but I've done a 3 job only, no hybrid skills, low level, and no shops challenge before.  That was a lot of fun, and while I did have a few close calls, overall, I found the game was pretty evenly paced.  Though being low level, I DID have to run/avoid battles using avoidance skills.

My usual playthroughs have me doing a short grind right away at Dharma, getting to a second class, or getting at least 2 hybrid skills each for Maribel/Hero/Gabo, then continuing forward.

However, DQ definitely gives that impression of "yeah, you're gonna grind here."  I just have noticed it doesn't take too much knowledge to figure out how to avoid that.  For me though, I actually LIKE to grind...most of the time.

I have seen people who complain about grinding but want to buy absolutely all the best pieces of equipment in each new store, instead of choosing one or two pieces they can buy and forget the rest. Just being able to get all the better upgrades for everybody as soon as a new town is reached would be a stupid design, I think. If someone wants to get them all (like, sometimes, I do), let them (me) work for it.

And for DQ VII, I agree it can be done without grinding for levels, as many of the complainers often seem to do. Skills like confuse dance or the sleep spells work wonders, even with a low level party. I have sometimes given them to a certain party member that is not usable for a while, and then I find myself in trouble without them, if I only have the choice of using brute force. But it seems many of the complainers choose brute force as their default option.

• Upvote 2

And for DQ VII, I agree it can be done without grinding for levels, as many of the complainers often seem to do.

I respectfully disagree. F*ing Hellcloud required a long grind for me, so much so that I took a break from the game. He was the toughest boss in the game, even tougher than both rounds with the Demon Lord. I had to grind a little for the final Demon Lord battle, but not all that much. Hellcloud required at least eight hours of grinding.

I beat Hellcloud first try with no info on what he could do/how to deal with him.

I beat Hellcloud first try with no info on what he could do/how to deal with him.

You seem to be the exception. When I was stuck there I did some Googling and it seems like he's often considered to be the toughest boss in the game and others have trouble with him as well. I even broke down and started using Save States in that battle (essentially cheating, in my opinion) and I was getting destroyed by him and his little cloudbabies.

I beat him on my first try too. *shrugs*

Without excessive grinding and all.  Just had to do the right things.  Maybe my party was just set up right. I dunno.

• Upvote 1

If you had read my post, I indicated pretty clearly I don't have to grind for most of my playthroughs. I've done serious challenges in DQ7, and frankly, Hellcloud is hard, but nowhere near impossible, nor does he require grinding.  He's quite doable at level 25~28, classless.  It's just a matter of understanding the basic DQ mechanics, then applying a little forethought into potential class picks and likely skills and spells to learn.  Or use a guide, which have been available since really really early in the release (dshort's guide was available early, and who can forget the Prima guide).

Even without a guide, it didn't take me long to figure out what to do.

It's a lot of luck involved.  Honestly, my hardest battle, prior to Orgodemir, was Gracos V, the successor in the present.  If fought right away, he's quite a jump from his ancestor, and probably harder then the next four bosses.

Edited by ignasia7

If you had read my post, I indicated pretty clearly I don't have to grind for most of my playthroughs.

I did read your post. That's what I was responding to.

Without excessive grinding and all. Just had to do the right things. Maybe my party was just set up right. I dunno.

I've now how to pull this out twice in a week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIMrFpnfvyI

I hated that sub boss. Hated. Hated. Hated.

• Upvote 1

Without excessive grinding and all. Just had to do the right things. Maybe my party was just set up right. I dunno.

I've now how to pull this out twice in a week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIMrFpnfvyI

I hated that sub boss. Hated. Hated. Hated.

Love you too, Platty. 😘

And for DQ VII, I agree it can be done without grinding for levels, as many of the complainers often seem to do.

I respectfully disagree. F*ing Hellcloud required a long grind for me, so much so that I took a break from the game. He was the toughest boss in the game, even tougher than both rounds with the Demon Lord. I had to grind a little for the final Demon Lord battle, but not all that much. Hellcloud required at least eight hours of grinding.

*triggered*

Just over a month ago I was replaying through Dragon Warrior VII and my save file corrupted... last thing that I had done?  Died to Hell Cloud.  I was too tired to take another swing at it.  I loaded it up the next day and it gave me the "corrupted" message ;_;

If I remember right, I believe I was a level 22, but I'd have to check to confirm.

• Upvote 1