Does anyone have the overworld map for DQ2 iOS/Android?

I'm not looking for the NES map or any of the other remakes, purely the new mobile version's map. I was planning on annotating it like I did for DQ1, but unfortunately, I can't even find the map for this version. Yes, there are already maps for the older versions, but the names are totally different and I thought that we could benefit from a map with updated names. If anybody has just the map itself, I'll do all the annotations. If no one has it, then how would you suggest I acquire it myself? Would that require me to decompile the app itself?

Thanks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know this website existed, but I'm not finding any maps here, unless I'm just a moron and am missing it entirely.

Yeah, I see the SNES map...it's actually pretty beautiful and hi-res. However, it's already annotated with the old Dragon Warrior town names, most of which are completely different or slightly modified in DQ2-mobile. I could find a blank SNES map and annotate it, however I was hoping to get one that keeps with the theme of the maps from the new mobile ports as the graphical style is different. Maybe if I can learn how to decompile Android apps, I can extract some kind of image files, though I don't know if the overworld map is even stored as an image in the mobile app. I'll figure something out eventually.

I figured it was a long shot, but thanks anyway. At least you gave me another fansite to add to my DQ bookmarks.

What, the mobile is different than SNES graphics wise?

Yeah, fairly significantly. The graphics are more in tune with the Japanese mobile releases from years ago. And the overworld map is sort of similar to the PSX/DS games' maps, although a bit different. Here's what the DQ1 mobile version's map looks like.

What, the mobile is different than SNES graphics wise?

Yeah, fairly significantly. The graphics are more in tune with the Japanese mobile releases from years ago. And the overworld map is sort of similar to the PSX/DS games' maps, although a bit different. Here's what the DQ1 mobile version's map looks like.

Wow. Interesting. I never knew! Learning something new.

I've got it on my to-do list to rip the Mobile version map for DQ2.  It's stored in the game data as tiles, so you would have to assemble them yourself (assuming you can extract and apply the proper palette to the map tiles).  I'd likely just assemble screenshots together to make the map.  The problem for me is that I my complete DQ2 Mobile save file is on my non-rooted Android phone (and thus I can't access it).  I can take the screenshots on my phone, but I rather take them on my PC with Droid4X.  Wish these games had cloud saving. 

Does anyone have a complete save file for DQ2 from a rooted phone or from an emulator?

How do you access the tiles? I decompiled the DQ1 app as a test, but none of the files were in formats that I could open.

Also, how did you get Droid4X running? For me, when I try to install, it says it's incompatible with my hardware.

The reason I ask is because we really need to update the Den with new dungeon maps. A few of the dungeons have staircases and doors moved around. I'm actually going through the Lighthouse dungeon south of Alefgard at the moment and it's wildly different from the NES maps on the Den.

Most of the old walkthroughs are a little difficult to figure out as well, because a fair number of the cities and towns have been renamed.

Eh. The lighthouse is best experienced via total confusion, anyway.

It's sufficiently confusing even with a map. I figured it out, it was just the bottom floor that had been changed.

It seems all the NES dungeons are confusing. Way to many enclosed rooms, redundant staircases, dead ends, etc.

Hah, I had just done the Lighthouse and Cave to Rhone/Rendarak last night too.

Hah, I had just done the Lighthouse and Cave to Rhone/Rendarak last night too.

I'm actually kind of stuck because the old walkthroughs are apparently outdated. I figured out that I'm ready to head to Rendarak, but after going through the Traveller's Gate in Beran, I end up in this Wizard's house that has no exit. Did I miss something?

If I remember correctly there should be a room with a set of stairs surrounded by a damage floor and a black border around the room.  Search the walls and see if you find a door.  I think it's on the south wall.

Safe Passage then go straight south from the teleporter, don't go upstairs.

Edited by Tiael

Is there a way to see how many of the five sigils I have?

I saw those, but I wasn't sure what they were.

I've figured out my problem now. I was being prevented from going to Rendarak, even though I had all the sigils because I hadn't gone to get Rubiss' blessing yet. The walkthrough I was referencing kind of left that part out, it seems.

I'm considering writing a walkthrough with the new names, but I've never written one before so it will probably suck. I could just take somebody else's and change the names, but I suppose I will need to seek permission first. There needs to be content out there for new players who need help, but can't figure out the old names/maps.

I'm considering writing a walkthrough with the new names, but I've never written one before so it will probably suck. I could just take somebody else's and change the names, but I suppose I will need to seek permission first. There needs to be content out there for new players who need help, but can't figure out the old names/maps.

You can just take mine and update/tweak/rewrite. I am sure it would help lots of people out.

http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dw2nes/walkthru.php

You can just take mine and update/tweak/rewrite. I am sure it would help lots of people out.

http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dw2nes/walkthru.php

Thanks Woodus! I went ahead and started to Find&Replace all the names and spells I knew offhand. It'll take me a bit longer to correct the specific details (for example, the staircase that the guide tells you is no longer in the same position). When I finish, can somebody here help me review it? I want to make sure there aren't any mistakes or anything I've missed. I think I read somewhere that in the original NES version, the King of Tetengel didn't have one of the Sigils, like he does in the mobile version. Is that right, guys?

Anyway, thanks for permission to use this. I'll get right on it!

Thanks, I corrected that.

Took a few screenshots and then did a real quick and dirty proof of concept to see what the quality would be like for a screenshot-based world map.  Here is what that resulted in:

DQ2_WorldMap_POC.png

Obviously I would need to go back and take more shots to fill in the holes left when I cut out the icons from the screen, but aside from that, does this seem like it's headed in the right direction?  I'll still need an end-game save file to see this through as mentioned before.