Sign in to follow this  
HellQueen

any brand new DQ games coming our way?

It has been some time, since Dragon Quest 9 was considered to be the brand newest game in the DQ series. Has Square-Enix made any new game for the 3DS since then? Or for any game console, that is ready to play now?

Mobile platforms have a SEA (( But totally localized, puns and all )) localization of Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light.

And on mobile, Dragon Quest 4 has party chat added.

It has been some time, since Dragon Quest 9 was considered to be the brand newest game in the DQ series. Has Square-Enix made any new game for the 3DS since then? Or for any game console, that is ready to play now?

Have they...

Well, unless you're exclusing remakes and spin-off games, yes there's been a ton. Dragon Quest VII for the 3DS came out in Japan two years ago, there's the Dragon Quest Monsters remakes for 3DS, Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 for 3DS, Dragon Quest X for Wii, Wii U, and Windows, and Dragon Quest Heroes for PS4. ALL of which are exclusive to Japan...however the English version of Dragon Quest Heroes is currently available for preorder and we have rumors about getting the 3DS version of DQVII. Other than that, we get no love.

Here's a quick list i made:

Japan Exclusive -since 2011, when DQMJ2 was released in the West:

- 25th anniversary collection (ports of DQ1, 2 and 3 in their NES and SNES versions; Wii)

- DQ Monsters Joker 2 Professional (DS)

- Slime MoriMori 3 (aka Rocket Slime 2; 3DS)

- DQ Monsters 3D (3DS)

- DQ 7 (3DS)

- DQ 10 (Wii, WiiU, PC, 3DS, NX)

- DQ Monsters 2 3D (3DS)

- Theatrhythm Dragon Quest (3DS)

- DQ Heroes (PS3, PS4)

- DQ Monsters Parade (browser, mobile)

- DQ Monsters Most Wanted (mobile)

- DQ Monsters Super Light (mobile) (NOTE: This one is not Japan exclusive, but East exclusive. As Mattcraft said, its localized for Southeastern Asia but you can play it in english if you download the .apk, which is distributed legally in the game's official site, and put it on an android device)

Games that we got/are getting:

- DQ1 to 6 and 8 (mobile)

- DQ Heroes (PS4 only, on October 13th if you're American or October 16th if you live in Europe)

(There are rumors of Yuji Horii stating DQ7 and DQ8 for 3DS will come to the West)

Not released yet in Japan, but announced (as of August 16th):

- DQ7 (mobile)

- DQ 8 (remake, 3DS)

- DQ Monsters Joker 3 (3DS)

- DQ 11 (3DS, PS4, NX)

- DQ Heroes 2 (PS3, PS4, PSV)

- DQ Builders (PS3, PS4, PSV)

Edited by Awesomeinblue

What are they going to use as the DQ7 mobile port, the PSX version? Surely not the 3DS version?

That's what I'm thinking. 

The PSX port, intact. It's a no-brainer, really.

Maybe PSX version with the shard radar of the 3DS version?

Either way, if we get a worldwide release like in previous mobile ports, they're gonna have to translate the game again, like they did with DQ1-3.

DQ7 mobile as the PSX?  Really?

I see it a lot more, myself.

*shrug*

Off the top of my head, I believe DQ7 mobile will be the 3ds version.  Considering most choices made with the series are Japan-centric, the 3ds version would make the most sense.  The only way it doesn't make sense is on a worldwide scale, with 7 3ds having no release.

Off the top of my head, I believe DQ7 mobile will be the 3ds version.  Considering most choices made with the series are Japan-centric, the 3ds version would make the most sense.  The only way it doesn't make sense is on a worldwide scale, with 7 3ds having no release.

I for one would be *tremendously* angry at SE if all we get is a blasted mobile port of the VII remake. The only reason I'm buying the current mobile ports is to support the damn franchise, so they'll bring us new games on other platforms. I don't even like gaming on my phone, especially not locked into portrait orientation. I don't want to play VII-3DS on my smartphone, I want to play it on my 3DS. If they end up doing that instead of giving us the 3Ds version, I'll probably just say, f*** off SE, I'm not buying your stuff anymore.

Edited by AustNerevar
  • Upvote 1

What are they going to use as the DQ7 mobile port, the PSX version? Surely not the 3DS version?

My vote is that they won't do it at all. Either in Japan or here.

Off the top of my head, I believe DQ7 mobile will be the 3ds version. Considering most choices made with the series are Japan-centric, the 3ds version would make the most sense. The only way it doesn't make sense is on a worldwide scale, with 7 3ds having no release.

I for one would be *tremendously* angry at SE if all we get is a blasted mobile port of the VII remake. The only reason I'm buying the current mobile ports is to support the damn franchise, so they'll bring us new games on other platforms. I don't even like gaming on my phone, especially not locked into portrait orientation. I don't want to play VII-3DS on my smartphone, I want to play it on my 3DS. If they end up doing that instead of giving us the 3Ds version, I'll probably just say, f*** off SE, I'm not buying your stuff anymore.

You're going to tell them to "f*** off" because they're not going to give you the version of a game you wanted even though i. Your scenario they're at least giving you a version of it?

I was irritated, sure, but I'm not gonna pitch a fit over DQ Heroes being only on PS4. At least in your scenario you don't have to shell out upwards of $450+.

• Upvote 1

I can't believe they released a DQ mobile game after I bought all these other DQ mobile games.

• Upvote 2

I've always been saying the west isn't going to get the mobile version if we aren't seeing the 3DS release.

They aren't going to only localize it for mobile at $14.99-$19.99 a pop when a localization is the primary thing holding it back.

Not when they can sell 3DS copies at $40-50 and mobile at a lower price in the future after they've capitalized on sales.

It's either both versions (possibly staggered) or neither for DQVII in the west.

Regardless of whether mobile is based on the PS1 release or 3DS, they'd still have to re-translate.

Edited by Tiael
  • Upvote 1

Off the top of my head, I believe DQ7 mobile will be the 3ds version. Considering most choices made with the series are Japan-centric, the 3ds version would make the most sense. The only way it doesn't make sense is on a worldwide scale, with 7 3ds having no release.

You're going to tell them to "f*** off" because they're not going to give you the version of a game you wanted even though i. Your scenario they're at least giving you a version of it?

I was irritated, sure, but I'm not gonna pitch a fit over DQ Heroes being only on PS4. At least in your scenario you don't have to shell out upwards of $450+.

DQ Heroes is totally different. Mobile gaming and console/handheld gaming are nothing alike and many people don many people't even enjoy mobile gaming. I'm playing through the Roto trilogy on my phone, but at this point it's so uncomfortable (especially in portrait mode) that I'm just ready to be done with it. If they ended up release VII for mobile devices instead of the 3DS after two and a half years of silence, then cruel teasing I'm fairly certain that I won't be the only one who's upset. I don't really like console exclusives either, but releasing a spin-off game like Heroes only to the PS4 is not the same thing as releasing a main title remake to freaking mobile devices.

I'm not even sure if they plan to do that, as we don't have much to substantiate that concept, but just the idea makes me angry because it wouldn't surprise me if SE did it, what with their previous treatment of Western fans. I'm happy for the mobile ports we've gotten (although they're low quality ports), but releasing a main title remake exclusively for smartphones would be the ultimate middle finger for a lot of fans. At least the mobile ports of 4, 5, 6, & 8 can be had on DS or PS2. With the new rem2C there is no English version, yet.

No, in your example, it's exactly the same. You'd be mad because they didn't put it out on the system you wanted, in this case because it's hard to control (at least for you). And I'd be mad because they didn't put it out on the system I wanted, in this case because I don't own the system and they could just as easily release the game on the PS3 as well. We'd both be mad because we didn't get the version of the game we wanted.

No, in your example, it's exactly the same. You'd be mad because they didn't put it out on the system you wanted, in this case because it's hard to control (at least for you). And I'd be mad because they didn't put it out on the system I wanted, in this case because I don't own the system and they could just as easily release the game on the PS3 as well. We'd both be mad because we didn't get the version of the game we wanted.

Mobile devices aren't a "system". If you really think these examples are the same, then there's little I can do to convince that they aren't. A mobile release is vastly different from an official release on consoles. There would be more than just a few people upset if any other game were released exclusively on mobile devices. Imagine if this happened with a Final Fantasy game. Or Pokemon. The internet would go nuts.

However, arguing over this is pointless because they're unsubstantiated examples.

Hey, Horii agrees too.

That said, they aren't going to localize only the mobile release when the massive undertaking is the thing keeping the remake from us.

People say that home consoles don't sell anymore in Japan, but once the smartphone boom settles I think home consoles will be the focus of attention again. It's true that with smartphones and handhelds you have the benefits of taking them anywhere with you or watching TV as you play, but I think fans of video games are still feeling the desire to play games on the big screen. Also, with handhelds because the controller and the screen is on the same device it makes it painful to play for long periods of time. Playing with a home console controller and being able to move your hands around is more comfortable.  

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/dragon-quest-creator-says-smartphone-craze-is-a-fad-focus-will-return-home#sthash.3JKiPRzR.dpuf

“Smartphones are smartphones, and they’re not game consoles,†states Horii in response to Andou. “I don’t think they’ll be replacing game consoles, but rather, I believe it’s a matter of offering something to those who only have smartphones

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/26/dragon-quest-xi-wont-smartphones-says-dragon-quest-creator/#Pt2FSsB7y0LFFbDS.99

Hey, Horii agrees too.

That said, they aren't going to localize only the mobile release when the massive undertaking is the thing keeping the remake from us.

People say that home consoles don't sell anymore in Japan, but once the smartphone boom settles I think home consoles will be the focus of attention again. It's true that with smartphones and handhelds you have the benefits of taking them anywhere with you or watching TV as you play, but I think fans of video games are still feeling the desire to play games on the big screen. Also, with handhelds because the controller and the screen is on the same device it makes it painful to play for long periods of time. Playing with a home console controller and being able to move your hands around is more comfortable.  

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/dragon-quest-creator-says-smartphone-craze-is-a-fad-focus-will-return-home#sthash.3JKiPRzR.dpuf

“Smartphones are smartphones, and they’re not game consoles,†states Horii in response to Andou. “I don’t think they’ll be replacing game consoles, but rather, I believe it’s a matter of offering something to those who only have smartphones

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/26/dragon-quest-xi-wont-smartphones-says-dragon-quest-creator/#Pt2FSsB7y0LFFbDS.99

He's right, and we're already seeing that.  Mobile releases have higher "potential", but most people prefer, especially outside Japan, a core console system.  Were it not so, consoles wouldn't sell at all, and people would flock to $10~50 mobile releases.  They don't.  Even watching Japanese sales on mobile releases, I've noticed SE titles have slowed considerably.  There is also the medical issues to address with phones.  Increased rates of cancer, and one thing that clearly defines mobile gaming in Japan, more so than perhaps any other factor: free time versus time spent working.  Asian cultures tend to spend a LOT more time at work than we do.  Even after work is often more work, as you're often obligated to continue drinking with coworkers.  Children also spend far more time in school than we do in the US and Europe.  I'm not sure about Mexico, Canada, or other countries in Centra/ South America, or the world over, but it certainly seems like Japan is set to keep people occupied with work.  Work, work, work, work, and more work.  Mobile is more a convenience and simplicity, as it means you don't require taking your system with you.  That said, while systems like the 3DS and Vita have seen massive reductions in sales compared to their previous counterparts, a lot can be blamed on economic woes.

Recall that both the 3DS and PS Vita were beating out their respective predecessors for the first year and a half.  Then sales slumped, and certainly not for lack of games.  It's more to do with economics, and the interest rates alongside Japan printing excess amounts of money to pay for the Tsunami rebuilding and compensation, the sheer number of deaths, and the Fukushima disaster, which has been horrible for business, at least for the first few years after the initial event.

• Upvote 1

I'm not even sure if they plan to do that, as we don't have much to substantiate that concept, but just the idea makes me angry because it wouldn't surprise me if SE did it, what with their previous treatment of Western fans. I'm happy for the mobile ports we've gotten (although they're low quality ports), but releasing a main title remake exclusively for smartphones would be the ultimate middle finger for a lot of fans. At least the mobile ports of 4, 5, 6, & 8 can be had on DS or PS2. With the new rem2C there is no English version, yet.

Uhm DQ1-3 had never been released in my country before the mobile remakes... And only in english, which was even a bigger dissappointment.

Uhm DQ1-3 had never been released in my country before the mobile remakes... And only in english, which was even a bigger dissappointment.

And I didn't mention 1-3.

XUIPb.gif

• Upvote 2

XUIPb.gif

I know, rite?