So, after buying 8, 6 and 9, I plan on playing through Dragon Quest V next. I've considered getting the PS2 and mobile versions of the game, because I like the idea of two different scripts and all that. 

I've seen the PS2 version sell for around £15 ($23) on Amazon - all of the copies are dispatched from Japan and would take two weeks minimum to arrive here. I plan on burning the disc to an iso so that I can use the localization patch with it. 

The game is cheap, but I'm wary of any potential increases in cost due to the extra travel.

So I have to ask - is getting the PS2 version worth it, or should I only get the mobile version for now?

So, after buying 8, 6 and 9, I plan on playing through Dragon Quest V next. I've considered getting the PS2 and mobile versions of the game, because I like the idea of two different scripts and all that. 

I've seen the PS2 version sell for around £15 ($23) on Amazon - all of the copies are dispatched from Japan and would take two weeks minimum to arrive here. I plan on burning the disc to an iso so that I can use the localization patch with it. 

The game is cheap, but I'm wary of any potential increases in cost due to the extra travel.

So I have to ask - is getting the PS2 version worth it, or should I only get the mobile version for now?

Mobile.  Ps2 version has only two wife options  Bianca and Nera.   DS version added Debra to it and mobile version is based on the DS version. 

Edited by sounderfan84

I would say go for it. You can always buy mobile later (not true, digital only content gets taken down, heheheh).

The character models give great personality to the game. It looks like a great balance between 3D graphics and pixel sprites.

I really wish there was a way to play the PS2 version with the new localized script. I like the DS script because it's what I fell in love with (puns aside), but I'm so sick of the DW7 engine in all the DS games. That PS2 version looks gorgeous.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

DS/Mobile is great, also by buying mobile you're leaving a mark, telling the developers that there's another person who likes these games in the west. That doesn't happen with used games.

I don't know how good the PS2 translation patch is, does it have bugs or issues at all? The graphics are amazing though, so it could be worth playing just for that.

Edited by wiregu

The DS version is the best hands down. It may not be 3D like the PS2 version, but it has more improved features.

Ideally, I'd recommend buying the mobile version and playing the PS2 or DS version. They have their share of differences, but it really comes down to console/PC versus portable, and that's entirely your preference.

Edited by 1upsuper

If V was done like VIII it would probably be the best game in the series.  The PS2 Version looks beautiful even though you don't get Deborah as a choice.

Mobile, it's one price, and you don't have to patch it.

• Upvote 1

I just wanted to say that I heart the PS2 version but the DS or mobile version is much more accessible. I've beaten all four versions now (SNES, PS2, DS, and GBA) and can say with complete confidence that all of them are fantastic. DQ 5 is without question my favorite DQ game and one of the greatest games of all-time.

I have a personal preference for the PS2 version (looks so beautiful, especially on the world map!) but I play the mobile version more often out of convenience. It also helps that Debra is the greatest waifu ever.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10426664_743829469069332_2184607222692807171_n.jpg?oh=5db83e995395f1a24026986b2d6137e8&oe=563F9B4E  :)

Edited by Bob_the_Almighty

I just wanted to say that I heart the PS2 version but the DS or mobile version is much more accessible. I've beaten all four versions now (SNES, PS2, DS, and GBA) and can say with complete confidence that all of them are fantastic. DQ 5 is without question my favorite DQ game and one of the greatest games of all-time.

I have a personal preference for the PS2 version (looks so beautiful, especially on the world map!) but I play the mobile version more often out of convenience. It also helps that Debra is the greatest waifu ever.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10426664_743829469069332_2184607222692807171_n.jpg?oh=5db83e995395f1a24026986b2d6137e8&oe=563F9B4E  :)

I agree with all of this. I wish SE would release the PS2 version on mobile with the DS localization script. I'd snatch that bad boy up so quickly, portrait-orientation restriction or not. It's always miffed me that the newest remake of this game looks arguably worse than it's earlier remake, which doesn't even have all the new bonus content. I've been dying to play the fan translation for it on my second playthrough, but I'm torn because I kind of want to re-experience the translation I know, from the DS version. Argh, decisions.

Edit: Yay, I'm a Sword Slinger now!

Edited by AustNerevar

I agree with all of this. I wish SE would release the PS2 version on mobile with the DS localization script. I'd snatch that bad boy up so quickly, portrait-orientation restriction or not. It's always miffed me that the newest remake of this game looks arguably worse than it's earlier remake, which doesn't even have all the new bonus content. I've been dying to play the fan translation for it on my second playthrough, but I'm torn because I kind of want to re-experience the translation I know, from the DS version. Argh, decisions.

I'm a Sword Slinger now too!

(and prior to this post we both had exactly 251 posts haha)

There's been a rumor that one of the PS2 DQ games was going to get a PS4 remaster so, assuming it's true, it's either DQ 5 PS2 or the Yangus game.  I think DQ 8 is out of the question since it's getting the 3DS port.  But then again DQ 11 is coming out for PS4 and 3DS too, so maybe it is DQ 8 lol.

I'm a Sword Slinger now too!

(and prior to this post we both had exactly 251 posts haha)

There's been a rumor that one of the PS2 DQ games was going to get a PS4 remaster so, assuming it's true, it's either DQ 5 PS2 or the Yangus game.  I think DQ 8 is out of the question since it's getting the 3DS port.  But then again DQ 11 is coming out for PS4 and 3DS too, so maybe it is DQ 8 lol.

Oh my god, I want this so bad. DQV is one of my favorite games of all time, probably second only to TESIII: Morrowind. Also, I think it's probably one of the best examples of using player engagement to tell a story. They could have just put in one of those text screens that tell what happens to the players during that first ten year gap, but instead they involve you in that hardship. It's so much more effective than a freaking cutscene. It also makes you attached to the characters you meet as a child, causing you to feel bonded with them later, as opposed to a game just telling you that this person is your childhood friend. The game makes you feel like this character or event is important, whereas a lot of other games will simply tell you that they should be important to you.

It's a piece of freaking art. I'd love to play the PS2 version, but I'm sure the Fan translation isn't as well written as the DS version, despite the pun overload. Seeing a PS4 remaster, getting Heroes, Builders, and XI all on the PS4 might actually cause me to break my vow against consoles and try to get a used PS4.

<3 DQV.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the trailer for the PS2 version made me try it in PCSX2. 

The low quality of the video (240p res) does not change the fact that the visuals are absolutely gorgeous and amazing.

I really wish I could run PS2 games on my laptop :/ I even own a sealed boxed copy of DQVIII on PS2 that I can't play yet. Whenever I build my desktop I'm going to try to buy a used copy of DQV for PS2, just to own it on a shelf, even though I'll be playing the fan translation.