Campaigning for a localization early

Obviously we're all excited for DQXI, however we still have to go through the phase of campaigning for a localization.  None of us want to miss this game, so we can't take any chances.  When DQVII remake came out, we all assumed it would be localized like the other remakes, but recently Square Enix got a stick up its butt and by the time we realized they weren't doing it, it was already too late to campaign on Twitter for a remake as every petition and hashtag we started went almost completely ignored.  This time, we need to get on top of things and not let this new game slip by us like DQX, DQVII, DQ Monsters and whatever else we missed.  Square Enix has tweeted out saying that there is no plan for a localization.

tumblr_nshix4embW1sbg8szo1_540.png

That's not good.  They need a little kick to get this thing localized and we need it now.  In recent times we've been getting all sorts of crazy niche Japanese games, even Persona 5 and Final Fantasy XV are coming overseas. I don't see why the biggest game in Japan can't come over too.

There are two main ways to support a localization process that we all should follow and encourage our friends to do so.

1. Tweet to @giocorsi and @yosp under #buildingthelist asking for the game

This is pretty much the best way to get our opinions out there.  Sony has been really good with third party relations lately, they even have a whole team dedicated to it, and if they manage to hook us up with the game, you can bet the 3DS version will come along with it, so even if you don't have a PS4, you should still bug these guys about localizing the PS4 version because it will benefit 3DS owners as well.  Gio Corsi is the Director of Third Party Production & Developer Relations at PlayStation and he is the best person to tweet to, however you should also tweet Shuhei Yoshida (@yosp) who is President of Worldwide Studios, Sony Computer Entertainment.  These are the main guys who should be tweeted to under the hashtag buildingthelist (which is currently bombarded with Crash Bandicoot and some other crazy stuff).  Basically, we need to bug these guys alot and really use that hashtag.  Mention Dragon Quest so much that they're sick of it.  Send a tweet every day if you have to.  Let them get the message.

2. Buy Dragon Quest Heroes

This is a bit of a no brainer, but some people don't understand the importance of this game coming overseas.  Its not just a game, its an opportunity for us to show SE that there are people interested in the IP in the western world.  This is the first DQ game to be translated in such a long time, miraculously, and its an opportunity you don't want to waste.  Buy DQ Heroes.  Tell your friends about the game.  Just do your best to support it.  It may be an action RPG, but its the best way to let Square Enix know how big the audience is.

If anyone has any more ideas on how to help the localization process, please share.

• Upvote 1

Sighs, I cant get my girl to preorder DQHs. Cuuuuz.

*I dont need another Dynasty Warriors clone. In what world does it make sense to YOU that buying a Spin off game will determine if we get the real *cursing* game?*

Sighs even though I told her its not really a Dynasty Warriors Clone.  oh well.

• Upvote 1

The mobile ports are doing quite well. I see no reason why we would not get XI.

Sighs, I cant get my girl to preorder DQHs. Cuuuuz.

*I dont need another Dynasty Warriors clone. In what world does it make sense to YOU that buying a Spin off game will determine if we get the real *cursing* game?*

Sighs even though I told her its not really a Dynasty Warriors Clone.  oh well.

Yeah, I keep hearing this and it bugs me a bit too.  I have a friend overseas who told me alot about Heroes and it really is different than Dynasty Warriors.  Plus we're working with Square Enix logic here, so good sales for DQH is the only surefire way of securing DQXI.  Think about it, if the spinoff does well imagine how well the real deal would do in comparison.  They'd have to bring it over if DQH delivers.

You never know. Maybe Nintendo will leg up and do it because Sony is (might).

As for Heroes it's probably just a way to give Square Enix an easy excuse to say "See! The West doesn't want Dragon Quest!"

And that is exactly why we must all buy it, even if we don't actually enjoy the genre.

• Upvote 1

That is something we have to agree with Darck on.

It was Omega Force that wanted it here. Not SE.

I'll laugh if we get the Vita version of DQH2 here.

No one loves the Vita. Except for SE.

LOL.

We probably will get the Vita version if it comes over. There's been a lot of localizations for it lately. GameStop might even make it a retail exclusive like Tales of Hearts R.

Eh, I wouldn't hold my breath on a Vita Square Enix title.

LOL.

We probably will get the Vita version if it comes over. There's been a lot of localizations for it lately. GameStop might even make it a retail exclusive like Tales of Hearts R.

That would actually be very bad. GameStop... ew.

Saying this, I can see SE doing that.

Why did Namco even make a physical release? Most Vita games don't even get one and a lot of people were turned off by the really poor localization previews (like the horrible name they gave the main character...) to begin with. And it wasn't dubbed, which wouldn't be that big of a problem if it wasn't such a blemish on the last, what, 10+ years of Tales in the US?

That's probably why it was a limited release. Not that I'm complaining. I like more physical games.

You are supporting DQ more by buying Bravely Second and showing a market still exists outside Japan for handheld JRPGs than you are buying Heroes, a different thing entirely. Squeenix claimed they would focus more on getting us those type of games but so far they have welshed on it. 

If Squeenix believes that the vast majority of DQ characters hold little sway in the public mind overseas, which I think is true, then thinking this game is going to do great just based on the name alone would be ludicrous on their part.

Most people are going to recognize a few characters from games they played and that is it realistically.  

Edited by En Garde

I will be getting Bravely Second, because I liked the first one.  But as for DQ, yes I have DQH Collector preordered.  And yes I will do the same for DQH2 if it comes to us.  But ultimately what me and my girl wants, is Dragon Quest X.  Sadly its looking more and more that our hopes hinge on the efforts of the Fan Translation team who just finished offline and is thinking of trying to do Online bit by bit.  

As for DQXI, PS4 collectors edition, first day preorder without a doubt once it has a western announcement. If it does. For us both.

Sighs...also, on the Facebook page, Christopher Taylor the one with the passive aggressive comments, is me. Your welcome :P

Edited by Alexandrious

LOL.

Hey I like the Vita

*runs for cover*

LOL.

That would actually be very bad. GameStop... ew.

Saying this, I can see SE doing that.

Why did Namco even make a physical release? Most Vita games don't even get one and a lot of people were turned off by the really poor localization previews (like the horrible name they gave the main character...) to begin with. And it wasn't dubbed, which wouldn't be that big of a problem if it wasn't such a blemish on the last, what, 10+ years of Tales in the US?

Reading US and EU review for that game was quite fun...

In the EU, it actually was considered an asset to have the original voices. (even if it means also freaking Connundrum,or however you spell it.). I'd have prefered Tales of Innocence R, but it was an OK game. 

Hey I like the Vita

*runs for cover*

I like it too. It's actually region free unlike SOME handhelds *glares at his 3DS*.

• Upvote 1

Update on the localization process: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/08/05/square-enix-hears-your-pleas-for-localization-dragon-quest-fans.aspx

"Last week, Square Enix announced a torrent of Dragon Quest titles. The only problem for Western fans is that none have been confirmed yet for release outside of Japan.

There's good news, though. Square Enix America and Europe president and CEO Phil Rogers knows you want those games.

Rogers tells us that localization decisions are a joint decision by both the Japanese and Western divisions of the mammoth company. "It's very much a cooperative decision and discussion," he says. "I think localization, we understand it's a very important topic. I think we're seeing more and more how gamers vote on what they prefer. It's eye-opening to us the business across the West, different languages and localization techniques that we use, but also in Japan. This next wave of games, it's great to get that feedback from gamers as to their preferences. Of course, we have to deliver on that. It's definitely a cooperative series of work."

As for the Dragon Quest games, while Rogers didn't offer any concrete news, he did offer some hope. "I think with Dragon Quest, it's a very humble team. For them to think that they have worldwide fans and people in the states and Europe who love Dragon Quest, I know their reaction will be one of complete humility. I think we are now and ever increasingly thinking about global business and think about gamers worldwide. I'm sure that as plans become more concrete and cemented, Western gamers will have good reason to get excited."

With so many titles announced, including both PlayStation 4 and 3DS versions of Dragon Quest XI, it's unlikely we'll see them all. However, with Dragon Quest Heroes and the recently announced Final Fantasy Explorers both headed to our shores, Square Enix does seem to be globalizing.

If so, the surprise success of Bravely Default hasn't been forgotten. Your ship might finally be coming in, Dragon Quest fans."

• 2 months later...

"as we've done in the past"

When? In 2010 with DQV? You haven't brought anything in over five years, SE. Everything after DQV was you begging others to do the work you're supposed to do.

Or does that refer to the "consider" part that just serves to be lip service?

Also, DQH is not an action RPG. It barely constitutes as an RPG and mindless beat-em-ups like Dynasty Warriors in which it's just "look how many enemies I'm killing at once" are hardly action-packed.

I had to review it for a site I work for and it was one of the most painful processes I ever went through. My only "thanks" about the game is that the copy was sent to me.

I'm not buying it because I:

- couldn't care less for such a lazy ripoff and texture edit of an already lazy series

- don't want to give SE the message "Oh, it's okay you don't release anything good. Keep releasing shovelware."

Pretty sure Ubisoft up and left Nintendo because people quit buying their shovelware too, not just the "serious" games with serious flaws.

What do you mean? Did DQVI come out before V or something?

Sent from my MotoPod

I have emailed Phil Rogers at least 2 times in the past, but yesterday, I emailed him again and all of those in the Quest for the West campaign thread in the SE section. Took me probably half an hour to an hour to write up, but not too bad. I told him to get on the marketing marketing teams butts about DQ in the west and it not selling well, with referencing Nintendo's failure to market DQ6/Joker2 and them succeeding with western DQ9 sales. If SE wants to replicate DQ9 with DQ11 sales, then actually market the game.

• Upvote 2

It's one of many form letters, but someone read it.

It's one of many form letters, but someone read it.

That's a new one.  Yeah, it looks like a form letter.  I'm guessing they have them due to the number of emails sent through their support system, given they have literally no direct outlet.  Someone definitely read it, and yes, they do pass them on in the company.  Always do.

You know, I don't understand the point of campaigning early for a video game that, within all rights, should and likely will make it here.

I definately see a PS4 copy making it here.

3DS? Doubtful, but possible.

You know, I don't understand the point of campaigning early for a video game that, within all rights, should and likely will make it here.

I definately see a PS4 copy making it here.

3DS? Doubtful, but possible.

I'd really rather have the 3DS version. If an early campaign will help get that version over here, the point is made as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote 2

If what I've been told was true, I just might get myself a 3DS for christmas, so...

(( Getting eShop titles back is my ideal thing. ))