Sign in to follow this  
Black Raven

3ds version has classic 2d and remake 3d

The 3DS version also has its own unique touch, with a mix of 2D and 3D graphics in two screens.

I think this is a wonderful idea. I wish they did this for all the previous ds remakes.

Where I found this:
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/28/dragon-quest-xis-first-3ds-footage-shows-its-2d-and-3d-styles/

Yeah this video is common knowledge now. I have some concerns about this system though:

1. Can the 2D gameplay go on the top screen, or is it stuck always being this secondary thing most people will rarely look at?

2. Why does the second battle go into an old-school style while the first wasn't? If it randomly shifts between both styles, that could be annoying. I rather have the choice of which I prefer.

3. They could have done something even cooler by having puzzles that required you change something on one screen that opens up something on another screen, not just offering the same thing in two views. It could be like this, but I doubt it.

Apparently the prologue features both types on separate screens, and the battle thing is explained by what controls you get into battles with.

D-pad gives 2D battles circle pad 3D.

You have to choose between the two after the prologue to play the rest of the game in, but you can switch between the two at any point.

It makes me wonder if there are any bonuses for using the different formats in the game.

When first announced, I was only going to get the PS4 version. But when I saw the screens and video of the 3DS, the retro features sold me on getting both. I find it exciting to have such a difference game play experience between the sleek modern PS4 and the throwback 3DS.

• Upvote 2

When first announced, I was only going to get the PS4 version. But when I saw the screens and video of the 3DS, the retro features sold me on getting both. I find it exciting to have such a difference game play experience between the sleek modern PS4 and the throwback 3DS.

Yep.  It's like having 3 versions of the game!

• Upvote 1

This is what makes buying a game for multiple platforms truly worthy. you would think the portable version would be a downgrade, but portable. no it's like it has a whole new feel to it. 

• Upvote 2

Prologue on both screens, then it switches to just one screen. Seriously awesome idea tbh. It must have been a ton of work to demake the game like that, but it shows they really care about the old school fans with this one. I might just play it in 2D for nostalgia.

:P Edited by Sackchief