The Main Character

So I guess its about time we discussed the main protagonist.  I'll post my thoughts and observations.  Please post your own thoughts as well.  We don't really have a name for him right now, so I guess we an call him "Eleven" for the time being.  I'm kind of warming up to "Levin" though, since its an actual name.  So far, there is one piece of promotional artwork showcasing him:

tumblr_ns6y0626tJ1s64n6yo7_1280.png

He appears to have long hair, a neat blue coat and a bag across his shoulder.  His look is very unique and he has a very heroic look to him.  Is this the set protagonist like Eight and all of his predecessors or is it a customizable character?  We don't exactly know, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was just his default appearance.  He might not even be strictly a male. 

One thing I've noticed at the beginning of the gameplay that is zoomed in on his face is the lack of facial expressions he has while idle.

If you notice, he stands there idle, for over twenty seconds without even blinking.  Eight sure as hell had alot more expression while standing around.  He even blinked every few seconds.  Even in cutscenes he was surprised at times and sometimes confused.  The face says it all.  I just hope they give the protagonist a bit of expression on his face.  We don't want a walking doll like the DQIX protagonist.

He looks boring to me. DQ5-8 protagonist's were the better ones for me.

I'm thinking that like 9, he's going to be customizable.  He's OK otherwise, but then again I tend not to much thought into character appearance.  About the same as I pay attention to the music  :laugh:

I think you will be able to make a custom character and still have expressions. look at Dragons Dogma.

I'm thinking that like 9, he's going to be customizable.  He's OK otherwise, but then again I tend not to much thought into character appearance.  About the same as I pay attention to the music  :laugh:

Didn't they say the main character will not be customizable? Due to the story being a single player story driven focus?

Actually, I have no idea.  I wouldn't think story-driven single player excludes customization though, right?

I'm hoping for customization for the MC, if not then hopefully at least they'll add some detail onto him for the final build. As he is he looks like someone took DQ8's hero and stripped away a lot of the detail.

He might not even be strictly a male.

vcZK4Ha.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking that like 9, he's going to be customizable. He's OK otherwise, but then again I tend not to much thought into character appearance. About the same as I pay attention to the music :laugh:

Didn't they say the main character will not be customizable? Due to the story being a single player story driven focus?

Was this in an article? Do you have a link?

I really hope they give us just one non customizable character.  If they do allow customization it would be nice to choose between a canon named voiced hero or the traditional silent hero that could be customizable.  Heroes will be the first to break that taboo.

• Upvote 1

No voiced character in the main series. It goes against Yuji Horii's philosophy and what the series stands for. I don't want DQ to degenerate into the mess that FF is these days.

• Upvote 3

He's basically a more modern anime take on Trunks.

By modern I mean he has belts and belt buckles everywhere. Beyond any reasonable practicality. That is a thing in anime of late and Final Fantasy for reasons I can't comprehend.

Edited by En Garde

He might not even be strictly a male.

vcZK4Ha.jpg

I think they mean, you can customize the character. 

He's basically a more modern anime take on Trunks.

By modern I mean he has belts and belt buckles everywhere. Beyond any reasonable practicality. That is a thing in anime of late and Final Fantasy for reasons I can't comprehend.

I think real armor has many straps on them as well. 

If you notice, he stands there idle, for over twenty seconds without even blinking. 

The game has not been completed yet, what we saw was most likely beta builds. You should reserve your judgement until the final product comes out.

I am sure they will have subtle detail like by the time it is ready for launch. This is a console Dragon Quest game. 

• Upvote 1

If you notice, he stands there idle, for over twenty seconds without even blinking.

The game has not been completed yet, what we saw was most likely beta builds. You should reserve your judgement until the final product comes out.

Oh, it was definitely a beta build. There weren't any NPCs either, and the battle system wasn't ready to be shown either. It's just an early observation.

I like him. If he is customizable, I would probably only have black hair and blue eyes because that's what I have. Damn! I cannot wait for this game. I have Dragon Quest VIII 3DS coming out which is one of my favorite DQ games and then this is coming out sometime next year and it too will also be great because it's getting back to the basics of DQ. We're offline, we're single player, save for the WoW $#!& for that, and keep DQ as it is.

Personally I think he looks just ok.  I respect the fact that they want their hero to look different, and maybe to look a bit more mature but I will admit that I think all the other main characters (including default DQ IX, and X for both Male and Female looks) look better.  I don't think he's going to customizable, because we already had custom characters in DQ IX and X, and they want this to stay story based, but he'll probably have a few different costumes like in VIII.  I also feel like his appearance is meant to make him not stand out so much, so that we can admire the PS4's versions vast and pretty environments

A main character doesn't have to have spikey hair to be good.

I like the guy. He seems very low-key.

• Upvote 2

A main character doesn't have to have spikey hair to be good.

I like the guy. He seems very low-key.

This.

He could use a bit more detail, but I like the base design. I wouldn't be incredibly disappointed if he was left the way he is for final release.

If his face and hair can't be customized, I can respect that. I like having a protagonist with a set look. Makes doing fanart easier. However, he should have different outfits available, like in IX and VII remake.

DQ IX has a default character for fan art. I hope they took notes from Dragons Dogma and you can have a custom character with emotion. And now voiced like Fallout 4.

I like how he looks in the art. Unlike other DQ heroes, he does not have a face of a traditional hero, and he is not a "simple kid", like VII's hero. His face (and hairstyle) is more "pretty", like a model's, and his body shape seems slim. I am okay with this. I like the more leather parts of his vest, and how they contrast with the rest of it. I have always loved long sleeves under short or no sleeves (like Terry's), so these work for me.

This is not the first time I have seen the default "Trunks-look" comments, but I do not see the resemblance. His face and expression are actually different, and his hair does not have the same volume Trunks's has.

I thought he looked kind of bland on the screen in action, though. His light blue palette kind of gets lost in the greens and blues of the field backgrounds (unlike the hero from VIII's red and yellow colors). Of course, I say this after watching him in GIFs, so perhaps there is enough details to make him stand out.

I doubt the character will be IX-style customizable. While not impossible to have the same customization using SNES-style sprites, it would be better to have uniquely designed sprites for that version, I think. :)

Madrigal, I cannot wait for you to fall in love with other DQs. VIII has a nice look, but others have better things (that one lacks). Once you appreciate those other game, you may see there is no need to transform DQ main games into other series' games. :D