This will be the finest Dragon Quest

I don't feel like we have been given enough information to say anything about this game yet.

I guess it goes without saying at this point, but Squeenix not even willing to reassure overseas fans of an eventual release is disappointing even if people assume it is guaranteed. Nothing is with this company.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This... This is genius. Between both games, I will get everything I want from this series. A wonderfully nostalgic romp with the 3ds version. And a glorious hd interpretation. I kind of want the 3

DQIX technically had the most "epic" story, except maybe vii.   The main character is an angel. God is essentially killed at the beginning of the game. You have a cursed kingdom returning from bey

It's the developers that get my respect. Not a company that won't share. 

I feel in my heart this will be an epic game through epic proportions, I haven't been this pumped since DQ VIII!

I would high five you for that in person, i agree. I still remember that time i was into DQ III for GBC and learned about VIII. It was amazing to see the world of DQ in 3D cel shaded beauty.

I also agree with another one of your post, about a HD remaster of VIII with young Yangus included. someday! 

• Upvote 2

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but I usually only have negative things to say about SE; like REALLY negative things.  I thought I would just say something positive for once in that DQ11 looks great, even if they are just the publisher.

Edited by Griever
  • Upvote 2

@Roto - This game will make my DQ dream come true.  I feel we can expect great things from this game.  I feel this will continue the advancement where DQ VIII left off.  Yes now give us DQ VIII remastered in HD with extra content and Young Yangus and Life will be great.  A DQ VII remaster in HD would be great too lol

Every Dragon Quest is the finest Dragon Quest. Now I admit I wanted DQIX to be on PS3 in full 3D like DQXI is now but when it was announced it would be on the DS, I was like "Fine, let's do it!" I ended up putting 300-400 hours into it with all the side quests.

Every Dragon Quest is the finest Dragon Quest. Now I admit I wanted DQIX to be on PS3 in full 3D like DQXI is now but when it was announced it would be on the DS, I was like "Fine, let's do it!" I ended up putting 300-400 hours into it with all the side quests.

Except for VI.

• Upvote 1

What are you talking about VI is awesome. It gave us Milly.

Fixed for accuracy. That being said, one character alone can't fix a game that isn't very good.

The Bustier wasn't shown yet so I don't know. It's possible.

Here's what the Magic Bikini looks like though

8tGY98N.png

That top version looks like a remodeled dancer's costume.

Except for VI.
Although I enjoyed my latest playthrough of DQVI, I agree. I played all the DQ games in order as they came out and pretty much thought each one was so awesome and amazing and offered cool, new stuff. Except DQVI.

I absolutely love DQVI, one of my top 5 DQ games (next to DQVII, DQV, DQIII and DQIX), and have felt that way the little I played of the SFC release (up until they announced the Zenithia Trilogy DS for the west) and the DS remake.

Feels very DQ to me, plus I love the cast.

I also like the fact the game makes you figure out where you have to go and what to do, I'm always talking to NPCs constantly in games anyways and exploring, and DQVI is just a blast.

Definitely surpasses DQIV for me, and in some cases DQV.

Anyways, regarding DQVI, I'm one who had more fun with the World of Ruin aspect of FFVI more than the World of Balance, which may be why I am quite fond of DQVI.

Oh and PS4 one is definitely turn based, not that I doubted.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/30/dragon-quest-xi-shows-a-glimpse-of-its-fields-and-battles-on-playstation-4-and-3ds/

You can see a Slime and two Lips lined up in battle with the Hero in the menu.

Early battle/monsters, so no party members yet.

• Upvote 1

Also, the 2D/3D aspect simultaneously on the dual screens for the 3DS version is only for the opening parts/prologue.

After that you choose one of the two to play with, though you can apparently switch at any time.

So it's like they are developing 3 separate versions of DQXI, so that fits 3 play-throughs of DQXI for me if localized.

One for the PS4, one in 3D and one in 2D.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/30/dragon-quest-xi-on-3ds-wont-simultaneously-be-in-3d-and-2d-for-the-entire-game/

Edited by Tiael
  • Upvote 1

FINALLY! A proper new Dragon Quest! 

I agree, TC - this could be a FANTASTIC game!

After the short, boring, epic-less Dragon Quest IX - which was all compartmentalized mobile gameplay, boring story, and post-game grind - we got the MMO-only (not to mention JAPAN-ONLY) Dragon Quest X.

NOW it looks like they're putting the epic back in EPIC!

And I even have a good feeling about localization prospects!

(And it furthers the 3DS arguments for Dragon Quest VII and VIII in the West since, clearly, Square Enix isn't done with the 3DS!)

Except for VI.

I don't mind being in the minority. I LOVE Dragon Quest VI. I only put IV and V ahead of it, and III and VIII right behind it.

Hopefully I can replay VII again in a modern version (ahem) and see where that game ranks then. I liked DW7 well enough, but don't remember being in love with it.

Edited by Omegaplex
  • Upvote 1

DQIX technically had the most "epic" story, except maybe vii.

The main character is an angel. God is essentially killed at the beginning of the game. You have a cursed kingdom returning from beyond the grave. Sure, it wasn't the most intimate story, but in terms of concepts you can't call it epicless.

• Upvote 3

None of them are really long poems, so none of them are epic.

... :D

Have you seen the pictures of the binders needed for the DW7 script? It's long enough. Consider it free form.
  • Upvote 1

I think all the games are great in their own respect.  It all boils down to a matter of preference, I haven't played VII yet so I can't judge it.  My favorite above all the others is VIII, but I'm dying to play VII and now XI.  Heroes should be  nice intermission in the mean time.

I think all the games are great in their own respect.  It all boils down to a matter of preference, I haven't played VII yet so I can't judge it.  My favorite above all the others is VIII, but I'm dying to play VII and now XI.  Heroes should be  nice intermission in the mean time.

Hero's will be a very good game to play while waiting.

Except for VI.
Lmao, that's exactly what I was going to say.

The main character is an angel. God is essentially killed at the beginning of the game. You have a cursed kingdom returning from beyond the grave. Sure, it wasn't the most intimate story, but in terms of concepts you can't call it epicless.

Yeah, I suppose thematically. But the whole thing felt like an undercooked, mobile-only version of Dragon Quest - it only had a quarter of the world size of DQ8, a quarter of the classes of DQ7, a quarter of the length of DQ6, a quarter of the heart of DQ5, a quarter of the charm of DQ4...

But it DID have a monstrous and completely pointless post-game grind of epic length, which I guess some people loved but I didn't see any point in whatsoever. Post-game, to me, should tie into the core content, not be an essentially endless (and tedious) exercise of the battle system. But it was clearly aimed at a mobile market, bite-sized installment gameplay style, which to me felt both hollow and... well, decidedly un-epic in comparison to it's superior peers.

All IMO, of course.

Yeah, I suppose thematically. But the whole thing felt like an undercooked, mobile-only version of Dragon Quest - it only had a quarter of the world size of DQ8, a quarter of the classes of DQ7, a quarter of the length of DQ6, a quarter of the heart of DQ5, a quarter of the charm of DQ4...

But it DID have a monstrous and completely pointless post-game grind of epic length, which I guess some people loved but I didn't see any point in whatsoever. Post-game, to me, should tie into the core content, not be an essentially endless (and tedious) exercise of the battle system. But it was clearly aimed at a mobile market, bite-sized installment gameplay style, which to me felt both hollow and... well, decidedly un-epic in comparison to it's superior peers.

All IMO, of course.

Very good description of DQ9. I think it should have stayed a action rpg side game. Then DQ9 would have been what we know as 10. DQ10 feels like they was saying here is the true DQ9.

, mobile-only version of Dragon Quest... , a quarter of the length of DQ6

All IMO, of course.

In your opinion, how long was DQVI?

And how long was DQIX?

I can see (but not agree) your other points and that's fine, but I'm wondering about this point.

All IMO, of course.

You could also say...

The world is thrice as large as 7.  Twice the classes of 3.  Twice as long as 5.  Ten times more heart and gut wrenching than 4.  Charm beyond measure compared to 2.  Darker than any but 7.  More story closures than all before it.  The first to let you dress up your characters in goofy or flashy outfits.  The first time one could actually look like heroes of DQ past, while taking on their former bosses, or switch it up, have DQ2 look alikes take on all the Legacies!  The first to expand the battle system to a point where it has so many options, tactics, and depth, it rivals virtually all WRPG's in breadth and scope of concept, while yet retaining the simplicity and sense of nostalgic old-school DQ...which is the biggest leap in tactical shifts and additions since DQ6, and a larger leap THAN DQ6.

I also can't agree with your note on the charm of the game.  9 has a lot on the surface, and a lot buried deep.  Heck, it even finishes off the storylines to epic completion with the post-game quests, fully closing off individual stories and giving them that extra special touch.  You're going to tell me the moments with Erinn weren't charming?  Or saving the Wight Knight from his fate of being trapped by Morag wasn't?  Or watching the young warrior, then helping him, save his tribe in Batsureg wasn't?  What about the school master teaching his errant boys and girls to behave, only when coming to his senses, is so apologetic and polite, simply wanting them to become good and studious children with bright futures, instead of slackers with darker ones?  C'mon now THAT has charm written all over it.  Nevermind the epic ending of a girl seeking the one person whom she cared for, in a torrid love seemingly forbidden, and yet not, as it is recognized by the stars?  You think DQ4's story has more charm by comparison?  Maybe it's the quest system, which is a bit off-putting for most objectives, but their design is to teach and broaden the scope of horizon for any player new or old, and work as a sort of Tutorial, with gifts at the end, allowing players to expand their knowledge of what the game system allows for them.  I mean...damn son, that's a charming approach, but I do agree the design was a little flawed, as the approach lacked proper explanation of its intended purpose, and most saw them as tedious.

I don't know, I'd say DQ9 packs a lot of charm.

• Upvote 2