Sign in to follow this  
Plattym3

DQXI Announcement

DQ11-Announce-Init.jpg

The Big DQXI reveal was this morning and boy did it surprise.  The highlights were that it's coming out for PS4, 3DS, and the next generation console Nintendo NX.  While the PS4 version evokes a grand world adventure like DQVIII, the 3DS version looks like a mashup of DQXI and a SNES-era game.

For more details check out this thread:

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32418&hl=

Or maybe just read one member's reaction as it happened.  Thanks KiTA:

KiTA, on 28 Jul 2015 - 06:07 AM, said:

From my NeoGAF post:

Livestream is... picking a save file, I guess? That music...

Apparently its 90 minutes. Will we have a thread about it (the other one was closed for some reason) or just do stuff in here.

Edit: It's started!

Flaming Sword...

DQ8. DQ Builders. DQH2. DQMJ3. DQX. (New Expansion Time?)

No mention of DQXI, I guess it's supposed to be a surprise?

Nice Lady pitches to Guy in suit, producer of some sort.

Switch to Dragon Quest Super Light. 1400KANJI downloads... (14 million? Nah, that can't be)

Dragon Quest Monster Parade, the PC game that everyone forgot about. 6/25 it hit 2 million players.

Trailer for Dragon Quest of the Stars. Character creation looks like it's straight ouf of DQ9. Battles look like DQ7. You can see you party from behind. The mascot character looks really stupid. Western toon-like.

F2P: Stamina bar is definitely there. Dungeons appear to be Puzzle and Dragons like, your team walks sideways and ends up in fights --- no choices? Trailer ends with the OC characters representing the players rushing up to help ... was that Roto's Decendant ... fight the Dragonlord?

Not sure how the gatcha works. Some of the gear was different color -- FFRK style?

Next up... Horii? He's in "Startup Casual," heh.

DQ8 is up next. Bringing out the Producer.

Special Message: Live Action commercial being shot. The characters are spot on, although Yangus scowled too much. :P

Dragon Quest builders is up now.

"Block Make RPG." Throwback to the choice at the end of DQ1, when the Dragonlord offers to let you join him. If you choose yes in the original, you die.

Trailer...

the hero chose yes. The Dragonlord destroyed the world after dealing with the hero who betrayed humanity. That's... actually clever.

Not much new, all images we've already seen. Anyone with a basic understanding of minecraft can already tell what's going on in them.

Correct myself: Live gameplay. It's definitely minecraft. Durability, collecting stone, placing stone, crafting table... Menu based crafting instead of placing blocks in a grind.

Shows him creating a small dirt hut, then an inn, complete with all the fluff objects like wardrobes... then shows the same village slightly later, now with villagers.

Bigger villages, including a castle, it almost looks like the Dragon Quest 1 castle done in blocks? That can't be right.

Shows combat, looks like basic minecraft style combat. DQ Healing items in the item bar. Probably magic later on? He places a dirt block to block a spell from hitting him.

It looks amazing. PS4 / PSV... and PS3.

DQH2 is up now.

DQH1: 10 months, 1 million sold? Too much kanji for me. :(

Lots of talking while looking at an image of ... Balzak being attacked by Carver, Maribell, Mara and Terry? Not sure. Would make a great wallpaper.

2016. They're having entirely too much fun with the Healslime mascot.

Not much about DQH2 at all that I could gather with my nonexistant Japanese skills.

DQMJ3!

... The producer is a pirate. What.

Well, whatever.

Quick recap of the DQM series since 1998 (lord I feel OLD).

Main character still looks like the hero of the older DQMJ game. He appears to be a lot older than the standard monster catcher protagonist -- teens at least, if not outright adult.

Mascot looks... silly.

No in game footage, no screenshots, no release date (not even a year).

Dragon Quest Monster Battle Scanner.

It's an arcade game similar to Monster Battle Road. The logos are very similar. Talking about how Dragon Quest Monster Battle series has 3 games -- Monster Battle Road, Monster Battle Road 2, Monster Battle Road 2 Legend (no mention of the Wii port, Monster Battle Road Victory). They're an interesting combination of a CCG and a Arcade game -- you get cards when you put in coins, and then those cards are the characters and gear you can use.

Main character has SSJ Gohan hair. And wings on his head. ... Ok. Holding a card and grasping a dragon staff -- likely the same thing as the sword in Monster Battle Road (when you unlock a super attack, the sword would rise up and let you swipe a special super card).

Square Enix + Marvelous working on it. "Scan battle RPG." 2016.

No in game assets, just a single wallpaper concept art image.

Dragon Quest X....

Some sort of event starting on August. Celebration of some kind.

Food in the real life bar based on DQ.

DQX 3DS getting some form of controls update. N3DS buttons support?

Horii really happy to be moving on to the next announcement....

Which is started by the DQ... 3... ending theme?

Talking about DQ's history. Showing each game in a row. 30 years of Dragon Quest.

Dragon Quest XI. The logo was animated, shows the dragon breathing the fire.

Saito Yosuke (Neir) is producing.

DUAL RELEASE: PS4 and N3DS.

907a2de2b0.jpg

BOTH sides of the console war were right. (And I'd wager money if the NX gets out soon enough they'll port it there, too.)

No screenshots yet, just a lot of talking from producers and directors and the like. Apparently it's Level-5 and Spike Chunsoft.

Horii just whipped out a controller.

DQ8 style graphics, only expanded. Holy crap.

... Wow.

There is NO WAY these graphics would work on the 3DS. N3DS maybe. More likely it's cloud streaming.

@revenantkioku on twitter just pointed out the DQXI logo is very similar to the DQ1 logo, only backwards.

HOLY COW, the 3DS version is... uh... DQ9 + DQ6 graphics. What the unholy crap?! (And we were just speaking about them supposedly being able to do both options, haha.)

For those not catching the stream, the 3DS version isn't streaming the PS4 version over the cloud or whatever, it's both 2D and 3D at the same time. The bottom screen is 2D like DQ6 for the SNES. The top screen is 3D like DQ7/8's remake. They show the same stuff concurrently.

OAS7Ba6.jpg

Battle in the 3DS version. Looks like DQ7's battle engine. 3D graphics are roughly on par with a slightly upgraded DQ9/DQ7, it looks really nice. This is freaking megaton. They basically completely re-did the game's graphic engine -- twice -- for the 3DS.

No party members shown, but there's room for 4 of them.

078399e3d1.png

Art of the main character. Not customizable? Looks about as far from Dragonball Z as you can get, heh. Very skinny kid with a sword on his back and shoulder length hair.

The guy from V Jump is there with a sealed exclusive announcement...

Reading...

Long read. Nothing megaton. He's looking amused as hell reading it.

An older gentleman... Koichi Sugiyama -- the guy who has done the music for every Dragon Quest since the first.

Somewhat epic music... probably just the ending of the show, they're all standing in the middle now.

Edit: apparently they slipped in a casual, "Oh yeah, it's coming to the Nintendo NX as well." at the end there.

Also, there's a thread talking about it but it's not appearing in search results:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1085666

Thanks to many members for these:

PS4: 

0gyMXJo.gif

3DS: 

5xrRnY7.jpg

I gotta say, I'd buy a 3ds for it.

that will be on my games i will get when i get a 3ds right now it is 1 first place togerther with monster hunter

3 takeaways:

1) The PS4 version looks GORGEOUS!

2) What a super cool idea on the 3DS version having a modern style screen and an SNES style screen. I love it so much, I might actually buy both versions!

3) "Sugiyama, who turned 84-years-old this year, said he will do his best to work on the title, and will give it his all as long as he’s still alive." Well that's super depressing...

Edited by hawkeye77o4

For the 3DS version, if you use the circle pad, you will play on the high screen, and and battle will be DQ9/3DSDQ7 style, but if you use the D-pad, you play on the lower style, and the battle will be rendered in 2D.

That's a pretty original use of the dual screen.

3) "Sugiyama, who turned 84-years-old this year, said he will do his best to work on the title, and will give it his all as long as he’s still alive." Well that's super depressing...

Not really, he still wants to work despite his age. So that's good.

Anyways, I'm really interested in the 3DS version. Wonder if we'll get it.

Not really into that hero design though... looks plain.

Edited by Fates

For the 3DS version, if you use the circle pad, you will play on the high screen, and and battle will be DQ9/3DSDQ7 style, but if you use the D-pad, you play on the lower style, and the battle will be rendered in 2D.

That's a pretty original use of the dual screen.

Indeed it is. Clever and really is a celebration of 30 years of DQ.

And you won't even have to shell out for a PS4 for it.

Yeah, I'm loving the classic feel of the bottom screen as the 2D map in oldschool DQ-style.  But on a PS4 it's assumed they'd just drop this idea, right?

Yeah, I'm loving the classic feel of the bottom screen as the 2D map in oldschool DQ-style.  But on a PS4 it's assumed they'd just drop this idea, right?

Well yeah, each one is playing to the accompanying console's strengths, I imagine the "map" in DQXI will just be one you can bring up on the screen like DQVIII.

I really want both versions myself.