Dragon Quest XI Impressions

Not sure if it is the quality of the video but are the 3d models used in the 3ds look like the low-poly count quality they used in dq9? I do like the novel feature of choosing to see 2d/3d.

I'm glad they decided to go with the PS4, as it has the highest chance of being brought over to the west. I hope they don't make 11 half-online only though (ORPG).

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GT was pretty happy with the reveal

It would be wrong if they released only the 3DS version here, i'll most likely be importing the PS4 version anyways because i do not like punlations. 

Seriously, they need to not do the punlations this time. I can't take that $#!& at all. I couldn't read the dialog for DQIV DS at all because it was so bad it made my eyes wat

I was just thinking about this, but does anyone else think that the "2D/old-school mode" on the 3DS version might be the future DQ 11 mobile version?

LOL I could totally see it happening.

This wouldn't bother me actually. 

What if that was the only version we got out west?   ;)

:laugh:

Many would be so pissed lol.

I could totally dig a full-blown, HD version on my PS4 and a charming, 2D version on my 3DS and/or mobile device.  I hope that the localization process is quicker though.  The fact that the game is even on PS4 indicates that SE had some overseas intentions in mind.  Otherwise there would be no reason to bother with any version other than the 3DS version (baring a later mobile port that is).

And what's wrong with the 3DS version being more akin to older games in appearance and style?

For a man with a DQ 8 avatar and user name I thought you would understand!  You were supposed to understand. :(

Nothing is wrong with the 3DS version being more like the older style BUT for those of us that have been craving a true follow-up to DQ 8's style have been left wanting for a decade now.  DQ 9 had its charms but it was a huge step backwards from what DQ 8 brought to the series (DQ 9 was in many ways a mix of an updated DQ 3 and 6) and DQ 10 was turned into an online-only game centered around multi-player aspects.  Neither one is really want I wanted to see in the series after DQ 8's beautiful graphics, superb music and voice acting, outstanding character designs, and heartwarming companions.

DQ 11, on PS4 (and perhaps the NX version as well) , is shaping up to what many DQ fans have wanted since DQ 8 - that is a game that follows in DQ 8's footsteps.

All that said it would be cool to play around in the "retro" mode of the 3DS version but not at the expensive of the full-blown console experience.  DQ 8 was life a fairy tale that was brought to life.  Nothing since then even came close.  DQ 9 was a bit of a regression and I hope that DQ 11 console version is the natural evolution of DQ 8.

Watching that video of the 3DS game play posted above, both styles look incredible but it is a bit jarring seeing both styles at once.  I would like to have the option to switch between them if playing on the 3DS.  But outside nostalgia I don't see myself investing too much time in the "2D" style.  DQ 11 looks really nice on the top (3D) screens.

Edited by Bob_the_Almighty

You assumed wrong then, Bob. Yangus is my favorite DQ character, so when I made my account I figured I'd name it after him.

All I'm saying is there's no reason to diss the 3DS version just because of its appearance and style. If you want a game more like 8, then the PS4 version is the clear way to go.

Graphics are meh? Who cares about graphics. The game looks awesome, especially the 2D old-school presentation on the bottom screen.

Graphics are meh? Who cares about graphics. The game looks awesome, especially the 2D old-school presentation on the bottom screen.

This.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I don't mind the bottom screen graphics. It's the top screen ones that look pixelated as hell.

There will be 2 other versions to choose from

Edited by wintermute

I don't mind the bottom screen graphics. It's the top screen ones that look pixelated as hell.

I'm quite aware. I'm talking about the 3DS version. The one I thought was meh.

I'm quite aware. I'm talking about the 3DS version. The one I thought was meh.

The one you thought was "meh" from a couple of seconds of footage of a game that's still in development. That one?

Call me when there's a reason for Americans to care.

So, never, I guess.

We'll cue you next after Platty if it happens. Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

You assumed wrong then, Bob. Yangus is my favorite DQ character, so when I made my account I figured I'd name it after him.

All I'm saying is there's no reason to diss the 3DS version just because of its appearance and style. If you want a game more like 8, then the PS4 version is the clear way to go.

The 3DS version still looks beautiful, so I'm by no means knocking it. It's a gorgeous looking game as seen in the 3DS game play video. SE needs to release both versions here that way everyone can be happy. I would buy both versions if that happened (although I would get the PS4 version first). I find all three styles (PS4, 3DS "3D," and 3DS "2D") charming in their own ways and I'd like to experience them all. Probably won't happen but it would be cool if there was cloud saves like FF 10 on PS3, PS4, and Vita lol.

I just want that all-encompassing, epic feeling that DQ 8 brought to the table. DQ 8 PS2 was one of the most defining games I have ever played. Everything about it was flawless (game play, story, characters, voice acting, music, just pretty much everything). Like I said it felt like a playable fairy tale lol.

I just want another game that makes me feel like DQ 8 did. :)

The 3DS version still looks beautiful, so I'm by no means knocking it. It's a gorgeous looking game as seen in the 3DS game play video. SE needs to release both versions here that way everyone can be happy. I would buy both versions if that happened (although I would get the PS4 version first).

I just want that all-encompassing, epic feeling that DQ 8 brought to the table. DQ 8 PS2 was one of the most defining games I have ever played. Everything about it was flawless (game play, story, characters, voice acting, music, just pretty much everything). Like I said it felt like a playable fairy tale lol.

I totally get that, Bob. 8 was pretty great (yay rhymes), and hopefully the PS4 version will help re-invoke that feeling.

And I wasn't saying you were bashing the 3DS version. Sorry if that seemed like the case, though.

The best part about these 2 versions is that there'll be one for everyone, depending on your preference provided you don't buy both versions.

I just want another DQ. :(
Touché lol.

I'd bet my account that DQ 11 is coming though. There's literally no point in PlayStation versions of these games if SE was just going to keep them in Japan. The 3DS version is all that Japan needs.

And Yangus I didn't think you were attacking me. I was just agreeing with what you were saying. The 3DS version looks gorgeous in my opinion. It's going to be a good looking game on whichever platform one choices to play it on.

Maybe it's not so much as wanting "another DQ 8" as much as it is feeling underwhelmed with DQ 9. DQ 9 just didn't hit the same notes with me that DQ 8 did and I don't know if it's because DQ 9 was a DS game (instead of a Wii game for example) or just the fact that DQ 9 just wasn't as good a game as DQ 8 was (my opinion of course). I guess I feel that a PS4 DQ 11 would be more like DQ 8 and a 3DS DQ 11 would be more like DQ 9. I just associate DQ 11 as a console title with 8 and DQ 11 as a handheld title with 9.

But enough rambling. I am really excited about the game.

It's very much a Ni no Kuni case in that they've said it was the same story but a different experience. I wouldn't be against playing both. I happened to enjoy VIII and IX for different reasons and both versions of XI seems to channel those different reasons in their respective versions.

There has yet to be a dq I didn't enjoy though.

I agree. It's like picking a favorite ice cream flavor. Even if it's not the best, it's still ice cream!!

After letting all this sink in for quite a few hours, I have to say I'm quite happy. The PS4 version of DQXI looks amazing, though it is disappointing we didn't get a look at combat or mechanics. Much the same with the 3DS version (N3DS exclusive?), though we did get to see battle and the 2D look on the bottom screen is a great touch.

Speaking of, wasn't it reported that no handheld version of DQXI was planned? I find it odd this popped up given that, and looking farther in development than the PS4 version. Not that it matters, really - I'm thrilled with what I've seen so far.

No, that was never reported. It was reported it would be big and on TV with a home console. They never said exclusively or no 3DS.

It would be wrong if they released only the 3DS version here, i'll most likely be importing the PS4 version anyways because i do not like punlations.

Seriously, they need to not do the punlations this time. I can't take that $#!& at all. I couldn't read the dialog for DQIV DS at all because it was so bad it made my eyes water. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the old translations, outside of a few spell names and monster names (HornyHare? CurseOff?). Now it's all so bad it makes me cry myself to sleep at night. Does anyone like them...? I've never heard a positive thing about them.

Really? Actually there are quite a few people here that like them. Me? I absolutely LOVE the puns. It's taken the series to a whole new level for me. Some spells still confuse me, but the puns on town names and people names and monsters are all just... awesome!

I was just thinking about this, but does anyone else think that the "2D/old-school mode" on the 3DS version might be the future DQ 11 mobile version?

What if that was the only version we got out west? ;)

Shut your mouth!

So, never, I guess.

We'll cue you next after Platty if it happens.

Me first, me first!

Keeping this short since I am on my cellphone.

PS4 version looks nice but without cell shading it's not really my style. The same goes with Heroes but it looks strangely reminiscent of claymation. I prefer things looking a bit more vibrant as well. Maybe that was part of the issue but the monsters and their movements seemed to pale in comparison to DQX as well. I have a 'high definition' DQ game in DQX so I don't have the lust that others might have.

I really like the look of the hero (though I like being able to choose female at least). It's a new style that looks nothing like any previous heros.

3DS felt like the definitive version to me. That the PS4 version was made with Western tastes in mind, while the 3DS version was aimed at long time Japanese fans.

PS4 version looks nice but without cell shading it's not really my style.

The PS4 version does have cell-shading though. It's just harder to see do to the quality of the video.

There has yet to be a dq I didn't enjoy though.

I agree. It's like picking a favorite ice cream flavor. Even if it's not the best, it's still ice cream!!

After letting all this sink in for quite a few hours, I have to say I'm quite happy. The PS4 version of DQXI looks amazing, though it is disappointing we didn't get a look at combat or mechanics. Much the same with the 3DS version (N3DS exclusive?), though we did get to see battle and the 2D look on the bottom screen is a great touch.

Speaking of, wasn't it reported that no handheld version of DQXI was planned? I find it odd this popped up given that, and looking farther in development than the PS4 version. Not that it matters, really - I'm thrilled with what I've seen so far.

No, that was never reported. It was reported it would be big and on TV with a home console. They never said exclusively or no 3DS.

Seriously, they need to not do the punlations this time. I can't take that $#!& at all. I couldn't read the dialog for DQIV DS at all because it was so bad it made my eyes water. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the old translations, outside of a few spell names and monster names (HornyHare? CurseOff?). Now it's all so bad it makes me cry myself to sleep at night. Does anyone like them...? I've never heard a positive thing about them.

Really? Actually there are quite a few people here that like them. Me? I absolutely LOVE the puns. It's taken the series to a whole new level for me. Some spells still confuse me, but the puns on town names and people names and monsters are all just... awesome!

What if that was the only version we got out west? ;)

Shut your mouth!

So, never, I guess.

We'll cue you next after Platty if it happens.

Me first, me first!

Are we related?

It's all delicious in the end, I've loved each DQ I have played.

DQIX is even in my top 5, along with DQVII, DQV, DQVI and DQIII.

Even the ones not in it are tasty, like DQI, DQII, DQIV, DQVIII (which was a top 5 until DQIX), and if I ever played DQX, that would be too.

I also love the puns, alliterations, onomatopoeia, accents, general silliness.

It adds to the charm of the series, the magic, I love it all.

All I hope with this game is that we get actual party members (think 4 through 8's casts) again instead of IX's create a character system.

After playing X, IX very much feels like a template for X and just about nothing more than that. I'm pretty sure they're past the "let's try to make a MP MMO type game" and will just work with X for a while with that. I'm expecting us to go back to full fledged story where the characters in your party matter again. The hero can be a male/female deal and still be important to the story. DQ3 and 4 did it fine. Honestly, the only game I really see a need for the main character to be male was DQ1 and DQ5 for story reasons (maybe 8 as well). In the remaining games it could have been player choice and there wouldn't really have been an impact. But the whole "your entire party is custom" thing doesn't need to happen again. Classes can be DQ6/7 style to add that customization.

All I hope with this game is that we get actual party members (think 4 through 8's casts) again instead of IX's create a character system.

After playing X, IX very much feels like a template for X and just about nothing more than that. I'm pretty sure they're past the "let's try to make a MP MMO type game" and will just work with X for a while with that. I'm expecting us to go back to full fledged story where the characters in your party matter again. The hero can be a male/female deal and still be important to the story. DQ3 and 4 did it fine. Honestly, the only game I really see a need for the main character to be male was DQ1 and DQ5 for story reasons (maybe 8 as well). In the remaining games it could have been player choice and there wouldn't really have been an impact. But the whole "your entire party is custom" thing doesn't need to happen again. Classes can be DQ6/7 style to add that customization.

That's pretty much how DQ works anyway.

Every game is a template for the next.  Or several games ago is a template for elements readded to a new game.  Each time the system tweaked, re-envisioned, and more often than not, improved upon.  Slowly in some cases, and huge jumps in others.

Some things are removed, some things are added.

Like the first "trailing damage" was in DQ5.  It was simply added damage to the full attack, and could be buffed.  So versus something with no Crack resistance, the Blizzard blade did 150% damage, with Oomph, 300% damage.  Tweaked in DQ6, which added the precursor to the Tension system, the number of these weapons increased substantially, and the extra damage was removed from the base equation and added on as a special damage element, trailing the end of it.  The new trailing damage unable to be buffed, but the first strike can be, through Oomph/Bikill/Twinhits, and the "next-round" charge skills.  Effective allowing for far more damage up front, but with a little wait time in terms of preparation.  DQ7 just added in more skills to use in conjunction with this, and slightly tweaked a few rules related to skills either from 6, or new skills based on 6's.  DQ8 added in the tension system, and further tweaked how weapons and their effects are handled with specific skills, and also added in the infamous Table A, granting Angelo's Divine Intervention, now a revamped version of Spooky Aura, more usage, since it affects skills.  Then we saw 9 run even more tweaks, and like 8, assured most were weapon specific, but special damage modifiers were added to the system, allowing overall more damage, but a lot more preparation, and even assured Critical hits would work with skills for the first time.  It's always a tinkered game system, seeking improvement and expansion.

We'll see what happens with the characters.  It might be he has a very specific story in mind, which is easier to design if there is a specific character in mind.  It's much harder to write, and I actually hate reading into character stories designed to be generic.  It's typically why such stories tend to stray away from character stories, and instead focus on politics, let the player decide character archetypes and personality based on specific story quest missions, such as how KOTOR and most bioware games are handled (most WRPG's in general that allow building up of character personality types based on actions and in-game decisions).  Bethesda uses a similar method.

Take 8's story as well.  That story was quite specific, so they required a very specific character, which you seem hung up about (you shouldn't be, as your instincts are correct).  Let's wait and see what the story surrounding this new build is based around.

There is a big difference between 16bit graphics and "gimped" "dumbed down" watered down" graphics. DQ9 should have been a multi player action rpg. It could have been a spin off DQ game.

I wonder if the translations will go back to the standard translation "laymans terms". I would like voiced British accents though.