Sign in to follow this  
Laurelindo

DW3 --- a Goof-Off into a Sage = yay?

I am aware that you can turn a Goof-Off into a Sage without the Book of Satori, but how good will such a Sage actually become?

I mean, the Goof-Off's stats are pretty terrible, and the only strong point about that class is Luck.

So, what does this mean for a future Sage's strength potential?

Edited by Laurelindo

Luck is a rather prominent and potent stat.  The reductions versus status effects are nothing short of fantastic.  So there's little to scoff at or worry about.

The way the game works anyhow, is that changing classes only gives a slight boost to particular stats.  A goof-off, at level 20, should have around 40~50 Strength at maximum, 20 at minimum.

In the original NES version, which I'm assuming you're playing, a good methodology is to go Fighter to 20+ (30 is ideal), then Goof-off, then Sage.  Sure it takes a little extra time, but Fighters are quick to level up, and it assures your Goof-off will have a potential 100 Strength and 200 Agility prior to the second change to Sage.

Usually what people like to do, to assure maximum stats, is, if you want a final party of 3 Sages, to avoid the book of Satori altogether, and go Warrior to about 40, then Fighter to about 40, then Goof-Off to about 40, then Sage.  There are other routes, but this assures a rather solid and high Strength and Agility stat (Goof-Offs also get solid Agility boosts).

This assures that your overall Sage growth is fantastic at the starting point, and Sage's Intelligence/MP development is more than satisfactory.

However, if you're just in the mood for a quick game, then Goof-Off -> Sage works well if you want a full party of 3 Sages.

Of course, in the NES, you can also hunt down extra books of Satori from Blue Beaks near Muor.  Just realize the drop rate is 1/4096.  I don't recall if the NES has a second free book, or if that is just in the remakes.

As far as I can remember, there is only one free book found in the NES version.

In the original NES version, which I'm assuming you're playing, a good methodology is to go Fighter to 20+ (30 is ideal), then Goof-off, then Sage.  Sure it takes a little extra time, but Fighters are quick to level up, and it assures your Goof-off will have a potential 100 Strength and 200 Agility prior to the second change to Sage.

I recently did that on mobile and it was a big oooooool' waste'a time! By the time it got to the level my priest to sage was she'd barely learned anything. What she had learned, she could barely cast because her max MP hadn't even cracked 50. The high luck stats didn't give me any temendous blows or rare drops. The rest of her stats were so low she could barely last in Alefgard even with good armor. Switched her back to a fighter and was much, much happier. My regular sage takes care of everyone and then some.

They are also a rare drop from a Blue Beak.  I forget how rare, but I don't think it was a very good chance...

They are also a rare drop from a Blue Beak.  I forget how rare, but I don't think it was a very good chance...

Ignasia covered that. I was mainly talking about how the NES version has only one free one in a chest(While GBC has two).

I recently did that on mobile and it was a big oooooool' waste'a time! By the time it got to the level my priest to sage was she'd barely learned anything. What she had learned, she could barely cast because her max MP hadn't even cracked 50. The high luck stats didn't give me any temendous blows or rare drops. The rest of her stats were so low she could barely last in Alefgard even with good armor. Switched her back to a fighter and was much, much happier. My regular sage takes care of everyone and then some.

On the mobile...yeah, that makes sense.  You can gather 4 Thieves and also steal your way to max stats in relatively short time.  It's one of the things I love about the remakes.  Especially Agility Seeds, which are so easy to farm, a group of level 20's can hit 99 seeds in under a day hunting around Mour.  On the original NES though, it really changes the dynamics, as you kind of have to rely on the class change system to optimize stats.

Luck only affects status effects.

Critical hit rates are static, at 1.56%, except as a Fighter/Martial Artist, where the critical rate is Level / 256, or the Demon Axe (12.5% crit, 12.5% miss, 75% hit), or the Devil Sword (roughly 6% critical, but a 25% chance to paralyze for 1~2 rounds).

It's also the only way to get multiple Sages.

Plus, DQ3, all versions, have varied stat growth on level up.  There's a rather wide range of growth potential.  It's also better to train, if you're only switching at level 20, in the normal world for a bit, or do a little seed farming to pump up HP, if your luck is bad with growth.

It's a matter of how you want to approach it, luck, and if you have the patience to make it work...plus equipment of course.  I guess I've done this so often, in so many games, for me it's second nature.

Edited by ignasia7

Correct me if I am wrong but is the goof off the only party member who can learn the whistle skill that makes leveling faster?

Correct me if I am wrong but is the goof off the only party member who can learn the whistle skill that makes leveling faster?

Remakes only, but yes.