What is it with vampires?

@Eal - Twighlight is one of the most retarded movies I ever had to sit and watch with my niece.  It also spawned numerous horrible fanfictions such as 50 shades of Gray. 

Here is one sad fanfiction out of many that got reviewed, it's so bad it's funny... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFgAv0Rs5aw

(For some reason I can't copy and paste links)

Edited by Madrigal
  • 5 years later...

I like vampires personally, their way of surviving is interesting yet gory. It's interesting to read about the real life legends about possible existing vampires today, but mostly the concept has become popular especially in the 70s, 80s in the days when vampires were mainstream, aka you had movies about vampires and Draculas way before Twilight existed, they were more of the main horror concept back then whereas nowadays we don't see them as often. 

Now blood drinking monsters (not just vampires) have been featured in myths and legends for thousands of years, Ancient Greeks believed in creatures called Lamiae that ate children and drank blood. Stories from India from over 3500 years ago tell of vampire-like creatures called Rakshasas for example, but modern ideas of vampires come from Eastern Europe. These are the blood sucking, pale skinned, coffin rising, nocturnal monsters who come out at night to feast on preferably human blood and turn them into their own kind, which seems to be a kind of illness vampires are able to spread only when biting their victims similar to werewolf legends making them undead. Vampires are often depicted as being like humans in appearance but with pale skin and the two fangs, some vampires have wings even, bat like wings that represent their close relationship with bats (as they can turn into them or took inspiration from Vampire bats)    

According to legend that by drinking blood, supernatural powers are given. This is a myth of course, i don't recommend going round drinking people's blood, you can get diseases that way as you don't know what's in the blood. There are myths that you may have heard that explain vampire weaknesses, the most obvious one is that they are vulnerable to fire and sunlight (or any form of light) as they are undead but not entirely immortal, Crucifixes, Garlic and holy water are said to ward them off. Another classic way a vampire can be killed is by driving a wooden stake through it's heart. 

Now there is a real medical condition called Porphyria, it's a rare condition that could account for some of the vampire myths as it causes sensitivity to the sunlight and certain foods, it makes the gums deteriorate, giving the incisor teeth the appearance of fangs. 

If you are a fan of vamparic lore or anything vampire related then there are many movies and shows that focus on them, like Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Hotel Transyvania (can't spell) even books like Bram Stoker's Dracula, the Twilight book and film series and i've even read the Vampirates books which merge both Pirates and Vimpires as one plus focus's on both. 

As for Video games, games like the Castlevania series revolves around the classic vampire concept, with the Belmount family being traditional vampire slayers. Vampire: the Masquarade, Vampyr, The Bloodrayne series and some Castlevania games are just few examples of games that even let you play as a vampire. As well as Skyrim, which makes playing a Vampire easier in the Dawngaurd add on. 

In Skyrim, the game goes in depth about how turning into a vampire works. When being attacked by a vampire anywhere when exploring you may get a disease appropriately called Sanguinare Vampiris (aka Vampirism), although it does not seem to just work by vampires passing it on by biting their victims but also by using their abilities (like the vamparic drain spell) when you contract the disease you only have a few days that you can clear it completely or else it will settle and lead to the next stage in the disease which is permanent Vampirism, the only cure is to activate any shrine which will clear you of it but it won't work if the disease moves on to the first stage (the stages are actually buffs, nerfs and power additions the more you go without drinking blood). At this stage you are now a vampire slowly having strange urges of thirst and weakness to sunlight (the sun does not damage you but you are unable to heal health, Stamina and Magika naturally) the sunlight weakness, 100% resistance to both Poison and Disease, 25% harder to be detected by sneaking and your illusion spells being 25% more powerful applies to all stages, however you start to change as the stages progress.

At stage 4 for example (the max limit) every NPC will become hostile on sight, as you are an obvious enemy which makes feeding at this stage near impossible (Dawngaurd changed this, so even at the top stage people treat you normally) Also in Skyrim without the add on the only way you could feed to revert to the first stage was by drinking NPCs blood while they were sleeping however the add on made things easier as you can use a spell to hold the victim in place while you drink. 

More info of this mechanic here https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Vampirism_(Skyrim)

I do enjoy playing as a vampire, it's very fun so long as you keep indoors during the day and only go out at night, plus wear as much fire resistance as you can when facing fire enemies, you don't actually need to feed with the Dawngaurd add on as no one will be hostile towards you (unless you attack or provoke them) plus you will have all the best vamparic powers that only appear in that stage anyway, so basically you are much more powerful the hungrier you are, also not feeding does not kill you keep in mind.  

Well, they certainly are everywhere!

Wolverine was a Vampire, Megaman fought Shademan, Django fought vampires. I didn't even post any Castlevania pics, because I don't even know where to begin.

Vampires have taught us to count (I get it now! Sesame Street with the puns :P), and sold us their chocolate flavored cereal. They are also the number 1 prey of the Winchesters in Supernatural.

All in all, I think Twilight is the only vampire that doesn't deserve being mentioned.

image.jpeg.18d39ac6ae55c2a03b5f3583304aad06.jpegimage.jpeg.3bb28f0c0fba2e12c5ca9a8d834e9649.jpegimage.jpeg.fb88819d0f3c673b3e4777959e1bbf88.jpeg

Image result for count choculaimage.jpeg.c0ff308f521a5c7576f8e6b5badb1f58.jpegImage result for benny supernatural

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Wes said:

Well, they certainly are everywhere!

Wolverine was a Vampire, Megaman fought Shademan, Django fought vampires.

Heck, Abraham Lincoln fought vampires!

• Like 2
Heck, Abraham Lincoln fought vampires!
I remember the Spring Break my wife and I just plopped down for a 4 movie marathon while pretty much frozen in up in NC. Watched 3 "blockbusters" including some Batman Dark Knight before this. This ended up being the best of that group. By far. Like not even close.

I know everyone has their own taste, but I think vampires suck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

What is it with you and the sucky puns today?

• Like 1
What is it with you and the sucky puns today?
It's early and my brain isn't awake yet so I have to get extra mileage out of the puns I do think of.

36 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Vampires certainly bite.

• Like 2

All the topic title makes me think of is Jerry Seinfeld coming out on stage and saying, “So what’s the deal with vampires?!”

I'm kind over this topic. It bites.
Yeah, its time in the sun is over.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

Yeah, its time in the sun is over.

Did you spend the seven hours since Blue called you out on your puns on that one?

• Like 2

the night is when i thrive

When i thirst for blood then i shall rise