What is it with vampires?

Why is that vampires are so popular in our culture?  I hear my niece talk about Twilight all the time and even reads sickening fanfiction which is some of the most horribly written I've ever seen; especially one called Forbidden Fruit, The Temptation of Edward Cullen.  That fanfic FYI has been made fun of so much the writer took it down.

I know Count Dracula or Nosferatu really made vampires popular in modern culture.  I however take Louis' stance from Interview With the Vampire (Which to me is one of the best presentations of Vampires and movies) on being a vampire...it's not magical, you don't glitter gold in the sunlight --you burn until you're a pile of ash, constantly needing to feed on the living, and eternal life without redemption. I think even if they were real, with all the press they get no one would be afraid of them...lol

If it sparkles...

Kill it with fire.

• Upvote 2

Twilight? Vampires? I must have accidently clicked on a topic from 2008 or something.

Necroposting is a real threat.

As to the topic...? No clue, they're not interesting to me. No clue.

I have a niece that started dressing up as a vampire with a group of gothic friends, and it just seems absolutely ridiculous.  I saw a guy yesterday when I went out who had surgically implanted vampire teeth...it was really weird.  I could think of a million different thinks I could spend that kind of money on.  Just like people who are completely covered in tattoos...a waste of money...but each to their own...

People have different tastes.  Though I can't, for the life of me, understand Twilight's popularity.  The writing is atrocious, 3rd grade level, and yet it is the most popular vampire novella in history.  So popular, it spawned 50 Shades of Grey, which is a rewrite fan-fiction of Twilight.

For some, vampires were part of their culture for aeons.  All cultures have vampire or vamp yr stories.  In most they're ghostly essences that stick around and drain energy from the living to continue onward.  This is especially prevalent in various Asian lore and many African.  There are still physical undead monsters that mimic eastern European vampires in style, but often function as mummies.  Powerful men and women who could not let go of life, and used some spell to assure they would survive after death, or they were cursed to remain trapped in this world, requiring blood or human souls to continue their existence.  In European lore there is the Nosferatu, a fearsome creature that literally looks like the infamous Nosferatu movie, and acts either like that, or more similarly to a fast moving monster that rips people apart and eats them.  Whatever the case, the European version is more of a physical monster that just feeds on humanity, devoid of any sexiness.  The vampire's embrace supposedly due to the fear the creature inspired in the person.  The sexiness wasn't added until Stoker's, "Dracula," then expanded with Anne Rice and other authors, and made as a sexual normative value in the "Twilight" series, which was apparently based on a fantasy about wanting a vampire boyfriend.

In Afghanistan, Mali, parts of Indonesia, and even the Congo of Africa (I'm sure there are other places), there are stories of gigantic bats that look like women, and make cooing sounds, that lull a person into accepting the embrace that dooms them, whereupon their blood will be sucked.  There are even stories coming from soldiers in Afghanistan that such giant bats do exist, at least in some of the deeper and darker caves in the region.  Some of the early English explorations into the Congo region talk about giant man-sized bats attacking the crew of the boats trying to traverse the Congo river.

For many vampires are still a problem today.

There are whole villages that have gone missing in Alaska.  Or missing people found with their blood drained all over the world, or dead sitting in their seats, their faces white with fear, but their bodies devoid of life.  There are stories, even today, of people being mauled in ways that no normal human is known to be capable of, even with machines.

Missing person's files throughout the forests of the world, especially of young men, women, and children.  Most of them are never followed up on, and sometimes their bodies are found, sometimes they reappear whole, with no memory of the missing time, which can be weeks, months, or years.  Some people have seen what can only be classified as a typical European vampire, or something close to it.  Others have seen ghastly visions of monstrous ghosts.

What I'm saying is, there are persistent stories, including new, that support the vampire legends, or at least suggest there are things out there we're not fully aware of.

One thing that adds to this is the false perception that we've basically taken over the world.  Less than 20% of the world is actually lived on by humanity, including farmland.  Over 80% of land might be owned or government land, but it is wild, and most surveying has been done by Helicopter, as often the terrain is too difficult and too dense to properly survey, and thought to be too dangerous to send men in there.  Plus most drones aren't small enough and capable enough to navigate most of the forests in the US, let alone jungles in Brazil.

Then you have things like these that keep popping up:

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/photos/lazarus-species-13-extinct-animals-found-alive/rediscovered

There's also the missing and dead great white back in 2012, killed by an animal at around 2,000 ft below sea level, and taken down much further, and the internal temperature is higher than any known giant sea animal.  While many scientists state...oh it must be a killer whale, or another great white, evidence suggests otherwise, such as the internal body temperature.  To a point where the last Shark Week included the start of a search for whatever that animal is:

Then there's this, and dismiss it if you want, the photo is legit, and the CIA actually did investigate it, and never once claimed it false:

Other giant snake photos having been taken that are hard to claim as frauds or photoshops:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/lkdFDKk8YWk/maxresdefault.jpg

There was a time when even the Tiger was considered a myth, a lie, something that no respectable scientist would or could accept.  By that I mean, a hunter's story and it really WAS classified as a myth.

Sure, these are animals, but my point is that we're not exactly sure what is out there, and even some respectable scientists have taken a second look at Bigfoot evidence, including the infamous Patterson film.  The problem most skeptics run aground with is the size of the creature is about 9ft tall, and the men who were present were not exactly expert welders or carpenters.  Plus the weight bearing load of the suit would have been well into the 200lb range, just to assure it kept that muscular definition, including picking up extended legs, and then walking at a brisk and leisurely pace while in this, without damaging it, and able to swivel the head without damaging it....and have first hand knowledge of not only HOW to walk exactly like an ape, which is distinct from a man, but how to design the suit and frame so it allows for this type of movement, then to actually pull it off.  It's virtually impossible to get all of those things so perfectly.  Not saying it IS impossible, but it's theoretically a near miss to call it a hoax.  It's too perfect.  There are a couple of other details that just don't fit with the film being a hoax, and too many scientists are now coming on board claiming it cannot be dismissed, and along with that, the sightings over hundreds of years, and perhaps thousands of years of stories from local tribesmen, and modern evidence such as trees being uprooted and turned over then reinserted into the ground, face-first, in an area where a modern machine potentially capable of this...such as dense forest, all suggest there's something to these stories.

All of this goes into exculpatory evidence to suggest...well, if these things either are or can one day possibly be proved true, and have some intellectual value, then why can't vampires?  Or it's just fantasy to explain away certain elements, or a simple desire to live a lifestyle based on fiction that touched or struck a nerve, where that person became fascinated with it.  Afterall...we're fascinated with Dragon Quest, and I'm sure some of us have played with toy swords growing up.  I know I did.

Some people just take their fascination with these unknown elements, and use popular culture to help define it as a starting point, then make it their own and define it themselves.  Such as vampire culture.  There are literal groups that live as vampires.  There are people who believe they really ARE vampires, and some who believe they just want to be, and so play act as one.  Some take the game Vampire the Masquerade (great game, btw), and actually LIVE it out.  It's also a tabletop and direct role-play game.  Much as some people literally live out their DnD experiences.  Yet many of these people have normal lives, normal jobs.  Even amongst those who actually believe themselves to be, or identify as vampires.

Yes, in some places in Eastern Europe you will find spikes driven through the skulls of some of the dead.  It's quite fascinating really and how the body stayed preserved for so long.

Edited by Madrigal

For real though, the vampire craze has been dead and buried for years now. For a good 5-6 years now it's been all about the apocalypse and zombies, a lot of the times both.

The book series I'm working on deals with a couple of vampires. It's fun to play around with them and twist it in ways that's both familiar and unique.

KILL IT, KILL IT WITH FIRE! ALL OF THEM!

So what's the deal with vampires?! (Cue Seinfeld theme and audience laughter)

Everybody watch out! I've officially become a vampire! But not one of those sparkly ones, they totaling suck ***!

:P :P :P :P :P

Probably the influences from European stories of vampirism. Most of the modern authors, including Twilight's, were influenced by old age Vampire stories of Europe and some of them are so good that they've stood the test of time.

I'm just amazed that so many people liked this whole Twighlight series, my niece really fell victim to it not long ago re-discovering it.

I prefer the old legends or the Anne Rice depictions personally.

People liked Twilight so much they fell in love with its fanfiction: 50 Shades of Grey.

I was reading that SyFy got away from TV shows about space because of the whole Twilight crap. They went more Fantasy instead of space programs because of the shift.

Syfy is interesting to me. I enjoy their Halloween horror movie block (along with AMC's), I don't hate some of their recent programming like Lost Girl, Being Human, and Face/Off is one of the few reality competitions I watch, but they definitely tried to stay afloat by following trends and staying with the crowd, something sci-fi fans and aficionados don't do. They dropped their relatively solid anime block, switched to more supernatural programming, and the only real remaining semblance of their former self are cheesy B-movies, which they're now trying to make into a mainstream thing when you consider the three Sharknado movies that were heavily shoved down our throats whenever we went into a Subway.

if you ask me vampire has never been so intresting to me i prefere werewolfs and not those horrible werewolf from twilight kill that sieres with a nuke or some thing as devestating

The whole Vampire Diaries series still runs I think... then Charmed fits in with the fantasy.  These new shows just don't do it for me.

I tried to give it a chance but really couldn't do it. 

I remember after seeing Interview, I hoped they would do the Vampire Lestat.  They did Queen of the Damned but it doesn't hold a candle to Interview.  Tom Cruise did the most awesome Lestat ever.

Probably the influences from European stories of vampirism. Most of the modern authors, including Twilight's, were influenced by old age Vampire stories of Europe and some of them are so good that they've stood the test of time.

I've actually read Twilight, I've watched most of the movies.  Nothing about it has any remote resemblance or influence from any European story.  They're partly influenced by Anne Rice, partly.  It's like a wild fantasy sex romp, while trying to make vampires extra sexy and positive, because the author wished she had a vampire lover/boyfriend back in high school when she read Anne Rice, then turned it into a book series as an adult.

That's it.  It's basically a romance novel series with a personalized fantasy oriented version of vampires.  Horribly written as well.  Terrible grammar skills, horrible setting, descriptive elements, and 3rd grade level dialogue at best.

Do NOT lump it in with Anne Rice and Stoker, who actually DID their bloody research on European Vampire lore.

"Vampires are sexy" was her inspiration. Nothing more attractive then a possessive and much older man stalking his high school girlfriend everywhere she goes.