What a horrible company Squeenix is.

It's as simple as this. If you really really really really REALLY want something, you will do whatever it takes to get it and whatever it takes to understand it. If you want to be patient and wait for the game to come out in a language you can understand, there's nothing wrong with that but there is also nothing wrong with those who want to play a game not in their native tongue. No one should force the other side to change their ways.

I shouldn't tell people to import (which I don't unless they want it that badly) and no one should tell me not import (because I do want it that badly) especially in 2015 when all you have to do is go on a message board and ask what something says. You will almost always get a response and it's usually something simple that's a reason someone gets stuck such as you didn't talk to everyone or when you did talk to one person you answered yes instead of no or vice-versa to an important question.

I'll actually tell you that prior to this, I was playing DQII via emulator and there might have been something else I played as well (not counting Pokemon Emerald prior to DQVIII PS2s release) so it kind of gave me a dry run of spell names and characters.

• Upvote 1

I think he is more going "WHY DO YOU SPEND THE MONEY ON SOMETHING YOU CAN'T READ?!".

...Which is also where my "...everyone has to determine what is fun for themselves. Lots of people...enjoy playing Japanese DQs..." bit comes into play. The root of the issue is that people like different things, and it'd be great if everyone could respect that.

Yeah, but.. when someone asks, "Why is this fun to you?!" and you explain that "It is fun to me because it is fun to me!" that doesn't help the person understand at all.

Seems to me that Matt and Darck don't understand why importing a game could be fun and want to understand and aren't getting answers.

I imported, played, and completely beat DQV DS, Joker 1, and Itadaki Street DS. I liked the gameplay & didn't want to wait. I could figure out the battles & most important skills/spells after a bit. I knew the story of V, couldn't give 2 shits about the story in the other two and I enjoy DQ in all ways, shapes, and forms. It was worth it.
  • Upvote 1

You know region-locking doesn't have any effect on potential localizations right? Any amount of imported copies pales in comparison to localized releases.

• Upvote 1

Piracy and region-locking aren't comparable at all. Region-locking is a decision made by the developer, piracy is an active attempt at theft. Region-locking prevents overseas sales deliberately, albeit not many to begin with as overseas sales of a foreign game isn't something any company considers unless a localization is in the works. Piracy is theft of something and more often then not, it's a recent game someone doesn't want to pay $60 for. Not some obscure game from Japan.

And in case you try to compare piracy to importing....

Piracy and importing are on two entirely different levels. There's no comparison at all, really. Piracy is rampant, has negative effects on a game's sales, and costs everyone involved in it money. Importing is legal and someone, somewhere, who contributed to the production of the game, is making money for it.

Here's the only Japanese text I know:

æ ªå¼ä¼šç¤¾ã‚¹ã‚¯ã‚¦ã‚§ã‚¢ãƒ»ã‚¨ãƒ‹ãƒƒã‚¯ã‚¹ãƒ»ãƒ›ãƒ¼ãƒ«ãƒ‡ã‚£ãƒ³ã‚°ã‚¹

Allow me to teach you some more then:

COJ34fR.jpg?16kX1N0J.jpg?1

It actually goes along with what I have to say about your entire opinion on this topic.

Edited by eal
  • Upvote 3

This part made no sense to me.

A text-heavy turn-based RPG is centered around... text. It is not like, say, Tales, or some other action RPG to where yes, there's a lot of enjoyable gameplay even if you can't read the text.

Without text, DQ is... pointless. It needs it. Otherwise, there's no story, no battles aside from random numbers that random sequences of symbols seem to cause. There's no substance.

My comparison to written media was spot-on. I am sorry you missed the point.
It's not like DQ is a TV show or something to where you can at least gauge emotions by how the actors look and sound.

To be completely honest, I’m not really sure how this could not make sense to you. Enjoyment is an entirely subjective experience. My point is philosophical – fun is not always logical, nor is it universal. You cannot argue that someone is not enjoying whatever they are doing. But let me delve into what can make Japanese DQs enjoyable for some people. Take DQM2. If you’ve played the original, you know the story is paper thin. Go around to different worlds, solve town problems, get new plugs for Great Log. Simpler than the usual DQ fare. Anyone who’s played the original is not playing the remake for the story.

The appeal is in the monster encounters, raising teams, breeding, filling up your monster library, et cetera. Through trial and error and guides, one can breed any monster they want.

Which still doesn't solve anything. You still have no involvement in the game. I don't like having to have my hand held to play a game. I never considered that particularly fun.

Even if you don’t like using guides, that’s fine. You could reasonably get through to the post-game content without using a guide for monster breeding. But please don’t tell me you didn’t use a guide to breed Dark Drium or Orgodemir 2 in DQM 1 or 2. The Monsters series really requires guides to breed the rarer monsters, and in that way, playing the Japanese game is really no different from the original in terms of using a guide to raise monsters.

For you, enjoyment is intimately tied to involvement in story. That’s cool. It’s also not universal. If you already know the story, then the story this time around may not be so important to the player. Especially compared to the main appeal, raising monsters. Not everyone will feel detached from the game just because they can’t read the text, though some people will, and that’s OK too. I’m saying that people could attach themselves to the other aspects of the game – the music, the art, or the monster raising. You fundamentally cannot argue this subjective point. There’s no use, and I won’t argue it anymore.

You fed into and supported region-locking. You also likely bought a new console meaning your sale actually mattered.

See my final response of this post.

tl;dr: If you want to support region-locking and potentially screw localizations, go ahead, import. I wish I could stop you, but I can't. (Yes I'm actually saying this.)

I am so glad you’re not running your own police state. :P The last thing I want is someone monitoring the games that I play for the sake of other gamers who really won’t even be affected in any way because of it. See my final response of this post.

There's also a much bigger problem here: Nothing is memorable when an American reads Japanese. Without a written guide, we have no idea how to pronounce their written language. This is somewhat similar for their spoken language too, while we hear words, their language has a much different grammar. Addressing somebody directly could result in their name being in the middle of the sentence, leaving a listener unlikely to actually hear the name if they didn't know it prior. Japanese is also spoken very fast, especially compared to English.

Now I’m thoroughly confused. Why would people need to read the Japanese? Are you saying that people use guides to try to…read the Japanese text? That’s absurd. People read guides to get a translation, or alternatively, just instructions on what to do. Of course every language is different from every other. I have no idea why you’re arguing such an obvious point. Also, Japanese is really not spoken much faster than English, it just sounds as such to the untrained ear. Same goes for any language. Non-native English speakers often say that English is spoken so quickly. Just how the language-learning process goes at first.

Also, for people who are familiar with Japanese, they’re going to understand the grammar and…there’s no problem. I’m really going to need you to explain the point of this paragraph. It seems you have a fundamentally flawed understanding of people consuming any translated media. Given your comment about French, I think you’re also making a point about the writing system, and how a non-Japanese speaker could not even read the writing systems, but you could at least babble French, not knowing what it means. I kind of doubt that months down the line you would recall the French you spoke, so it’s pretty much a moot point. If you are interested in learning some Japanese, it doesn’t take very long at all to memorize hiragana and katakana, and then, apart from kanji, you’d be in the same situation as you would be with French.

Then piracy doesn't do anything, either.

Why bother wasting money to localize something if, no offense, sheep will just shell out 4000$ to get a Japanese game and the Japanese console needed to play it? Especially when they're buying new and being profitable.

You are contradicting yourself here (and using hyperbole). Just as piracy pales in comparison to mainstream sales, so too do import sales pale in comparison to the potential mainstream localization sales. What I mean is, even compared to the (supposedly) small DQ western fanbase, the amount of people within that subset who import are incredibly small. Square Enix cannot make localization decisions based on a very small group which imports. Your stance only holds if a substantial percentage of that group imported. That is to say, the import crowd must overlap significantly with the potential sales in a localization. That is not the case, so SE cannot hold back localization on these grounds.

You can call me a sheep all you want and argue that I'm hurting the industry and supporting horrible practices (spoilers, I'm not), but I'm confident in my reasoning that I am doing virtually zero harm to the gaming industry nor to the western DQ fanbase. You cannot argue that I support region locking and keeping DQ out of the west, because at that point, you're putting words in my mouth and strawmanning my arguments. Arguing against misrepresentations of my arguments is helpful to no one.

Edited by 1upsuper
  • Upvote 2

ケツを食ベる.

I love this logic though: region-locking is evil because it prevents the consumer from playing a game they have no business buying overseas in the first place!

Edited by En Garde

In other news, I was contacted today and told I'd get my gift card. Responded in like 2 seconds as I was on fb messenger. No response yet (hours later). I guess I'll get it when I get it.

This can be in the second arc of the soap opera, guys!

• Upvote 1

"Don't Back Down: The Back Down"

Perfect!

ケツを食ベる.

I decided to do George Carlin's sports cheer in Japanese, not sure I want to post it.

I am anti region lock. I am pro localization. I hardly know any Japanese. I am pro importing, when it comes to Dragon Quest. Here's a few reasons:

1) if you've played any Dragon Quest game in English, it's pretty easy to figure out a Japanese one. Spells, skills, and items can be a little daunting, but if you put in a little effort to learn katakana (the character set used mainly for foreign words), you can start to recognize these things and it's enough for menus and battles in 95% of cases. DQ * generally* points you in the right direction story wise. Basically, if you are lost, look for somewhere with monsters you can handle fighting, and do events in that area.

2) We can't do Jack squat about region locks. If a game is region locked, work around it, or wait until Hell freezes over for SE to localize it.

3) collecting DQ games is fun. I jump at every chance to increase the size of my dq collection.

4) if se won't localize a game, take it upon yourself. I teamed up with TimK1988 to help translate DQX. We have very little direct help from people who actually speak the language. But there are tools to help with that. Is it perfect? No. But its better than nothing.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update you all... The Squeenix employee told me I'd get a gift card. One week later I contact her again. She gets back to me asking for my email and I'd get it ASAP. I messaged her within a minute of her message. That was August 4th. I've not heard from her since. Just looked and she hasn't even seen my message from that day. FML.

You should send a follow-up message.

You should send a follow-up message.

I have.  3 times.   We'll see.  

Btw, I cancelled my preorder of DQH through the Squeenix store over this.  I'll get it free shipping through Amazon.  I'd prefer not to directly work with this company.  Amazon can get part of the money, I'd prefer Squeenix not get $100, they can get a percentage of my $60.

Edited by Plattym3

That's pretty pathetic.

And to think you could've avoided all this if you had just taken my offer, Platty. Ol' Yangus cares about ya. 😙

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that's pretty pathetic.  Going through all that trouble, finally getting the go-ahead for a gift card to compensate, then no one gets back to you?

Wow.

This is what happens when SE doesn't just do it themselves.

This is what happens when SE doesn't just do it themselves.

Wait, who is doing it then? I thought it was somebody else who gave him this offer. I mentioned something about this not being SE's doing and I got yelled at because it apparently was SE.

I'm so confused.

Edited by AustNerevar

From what I can tell, from reading this entire forum for a long time, and this topic more recently...

SE likely contracted someone to give out the code for the contest. This someone likely has to deal with one of SE's marketing firms, or their PR directly, in order to resolve this issue.

Bureaucracy takes a lot of time. But for something like this, Platty should have not at ALL had to wait this long.