What a horrible company Squeenix is.

Don't import. Please... don't. Supporting region lock is never a good idea.

Especially pointless to import if you don't know Japanese well, because text-heavy RPGs that are ineligible are never fun.

I imported Dragon Quest VIII PS2 way back when and I'm importing this. Sorry dude. You only live once. I don't support region-lock but I'll be damned if I miss out on a great experience.

Edited by Winter
  • Upvote 1

I also have to agree on Darck on this...

If you can't read it, even if it's a remake or whatever, why even try? You have to have a SPECIAL DS AND the game for it.

• Upvote 1

I should've done this before...

I actually liked Simon's Quest. It was also the first Castlevania game I've played.

I feel like Simon's Quest only gets as much crap as it does because AVGN infamously hates it.

On-topic...

I think Square Enix is just getting crap from us for the way they are treating DQ.

Some decisions make sense. Others do not.

Example. We got Joker 2 instead of Joker 2 Pro. They should've waited and given us Pro.

And 7. I'm not too big on the Monsters titles, but we could have gotten 7, or word on it, by now. They know we're vocal as hell, and they owe it to us as fans to give us a solid answer. Not the producer giving weird-ass hints that are lost in translation. Not a "No comment.". We deserve an answer.

And Platty's situitation, well... $#!& 'em.

Over a decade ago now shortly after I imported Pokemon Emerald (Serebii.net helped with that because Serebii was playing it at the time), I imported DQVIII for the PS2. Now you ask, how could I have played a game like Dragon Quest VIII without knowing Japanese?

Well for starters, the GameFAQs board was fantastic and people were very helpful with questions by others. Second, two people named Kouli and Demonkaze were the ones to first write a very basic FAQ for the game. Myself (I'm Storm Lord on GameFAQs by the way) and Red Scarlet also befriended each other and traded tips and tricks with each other about the game including spending hours using Google translate to try and find out info on the hidden tiny medal on the flying spot above Farebury.

In addition, I also have a need to learn Japanese and this is the way I teach myself. I learn by having fun.

I would do the same for Dragon Quest if it was in Spanish, Italian, German, French, Norwegian, Swedish, Chinese, or Korean just as examples. No offense to anyone but have fun whining every day about "When's it going to come to America?" instead of just getting the game and asking for help if you need it. I'll be happy to help you.

To be honest, I don't have much else going on in my life. I work yeah, football season is coming up but that flies by fairly quickly and the main day for it is Sunday, I have comedy shows I can go to, but for the large part my options are limited so this is perfect timing!

I should've done this before...

I actually liked Simon's Quest. It was also the first Castlevania game I've played.

It's the only Castlevania game I ever beat.  I love, love, love it.  Don't know why it appealed to me MUCH more than any other, but... great game!

On-topic...

I think Square Enix is just getting crap from us for the way they are treating DQ.

And Platty's situitation, well... $#!& 'em.

FYI, no news on this magical gift card I'm supposed to get.  It'll be a week before I hear back again I'm sure.

To be honest, I don't have much else going on in my life. I work yeah, football season is coming up but that flies by fairly quickly and the main day for it is Sunday, I have comedy shows I can go to, but for the large part my options are limited so this is perfect timing!

Football season...?  Have you joined our Fantasy Football League here at the Den!?

I never cared much for fantasy football. The follow-up to that would be, well have you ever tried it? I would say no because it just doesn't seem that interesting to me. Perhaps I'll try something from DraftKings to try and win some money one week. I care about watching all games unless those games are terrible boring.

My interest in the NFL came when my uncle had the Sunday Ticket at his home. I currently do not have TV now because I'm in a bit of a economic downturn so I "cut the fat" and the fat was cable with so much junk on TV. Games are purchased rarely so they're allowed to remain in the budget.

And 7. I'm not too big on the Monsters titles, but we could have gotten 7, or word on it, by now. They know we're vocal as hell, and they owe it to us as fans to give us a solid answer. Not the producer giving weird-ass hints that are lost in translation. Not a "No comment.". We deserve an answer.

I'm beginning to think that the lack of a response and clarity to the fans is intentional, and SE is very likely taking the EarthBound approach with Dragon Quest: intentionally withhold it for years, build hype and rely on word-of-mouth to get people interested in this mysterious series that few people have heard of, and cash in when the time is right.

It worked with EarthBound. Look at how many people bought the first two games that wouldn't have done so without the legacy behind it. It's beginning to happen with Dragon Quest, where more and more people are noticing the lack of localizations and the culture surrounding it.

Square-Enix may be dickish, but they're not stupid. They know the hype is there and they're waiting for the right time to make their move. It's a brilliant business tactic, but also a very frustrating one for the fans.

Edited by Mettool

Possibly, but then Earthbound is so much more well-known right now too.

If that was Nintendo's master plan in regards to Earthbound, then bravo to them because that's playing the long con.

• Upvote 2

Don't import. Please... don't. Supporting region lock is never a good idea.

Especially pointless to import if you don't know Japanese well, because text-heavy RPGs that are ineligible are never fun.

I imported Dragon Quest VIII PS2 way back when and I'm importing this. Sorry dude. You only live once. I don't support region-lock but I'll be damned if I miss out on a great experience.

This. I understand enough Japanese to get through most Japanese games, and there's no way in hell I'm going to miss out on playing any Dragon Quest games for the sake of a one-man boycott which only hinders me from having fun. And I buy them all new. Not really sure why Darck was attempting to arbitrate how people should buy games and enjoy them.

• Upvote 1

He's like me on that regard, I just don't understand how someone can import something like that.

It isn't music where you can just let yourself go into it. It's all text. I know I wouldn't import it because I can't even read one word of Japanese.

That and because... for example. If I wanted to play DQ7 3DS right now. I'd have to spend upwards of $150 to import a Japanese 3DS, and then $50 or so for a copy of 7.

Or I could just... not.

Granted I'm not much of a gamer anymore. I only have my laptop and my tablet and my phone. :/

That's all well and good, and you're totally entitled to your opinion. The issue is that in the same wise, everyone has to determine what is fun for themselves. Lots of people, myself included, enjoy playing Japanese DQs and consider that the price of admission is worth it, and it's frustrating when people like Darck try to impress their own agendas on other people -- for example, only buying used.

Edited by 1upsuper
  • Upvote 1

I think he is more going "WHY DO YOU SPEND THE MONEY ON SOMETHING YOU CAN'T READ?!".

• Upvote 1

He's like me on that regard, I just don't understand how someone can import something like that.

It isn't music where you can just let yourself go into it. It's all text. I know I wouldn't import it because I can't even read one word of Japanese.

That's not necessarily accurate. You could argue playing a game in Japanese is EXACTLY like listening to a song in Japanese. You get the essence of it but not the full meaning and understanding.

• Upvote 1

I think he is more going "WHY DO YOU SPEND THE MONEY ON SOMETHING YOU CAN'T READ?!".

...Which is also where my "...everyone has to determine what is fun for themselves. Lots of people...enjoy playing Japanese DQs..." bit comes into play. :P The root of the issue is that people like different things, and it'd be great if everyone could respect that.

Edited by 1upsuper

Also, worth noting since I was distracted when I posted last, I played Pokemon before I knew how to read particularly well. Pokemon was actually one of the ways I learned to read better. And a lot of people feel the same when they play a game in Japanese.

• Upvote 1

I never once said I was pro-importing. I've never imported a game in my life. That being said, you contradict yourself in your statement that importing reinforces their decision to region-lock. What do you think region-locking is for in the first place? To keep people from importing...

• Upvote 1

OK, let's break this down bit by bit. Your logic leaps are getting a bit too slippery here.

What you or any of the other pro-import people are saying is that owning Japanese poetry or novels would be "fun" too, despite it being 100% pointless to anybody who doesn't understand the language. Which is how DQ is. DQ is not fun if you can't understand it. You have no story. You have little involvement in the gameplay because you're not sure which set of symbols is the skills you want, or whatever.

Pro-importing is bad. It just shows them "well, why release it in English? People will buy it anyway." and that region-locking is okay---and it's not. It never is and never will be.

I feel like I stepped into bizarro world---I figured DQ fans of all people would be anti-region lock and pro-localization.

What you or any of the other pro-import people are saying is that owning Japanese poetry or novels would be "fun" too, despite it being 100% pointless to anybody who doesn't understand the language.

This is exactly what we are saying, though with regard to DQ and not other media. This is not your own personal, solipsistic world. I'm sorry that I sound rude in saying this, but I can't think of a better way to get the point across. You are in no position to decide what is fun for anyone besides yourself. Just as you propose that playing Japanese games is not fun for you, I can say that they are for me. I'm not exactly in the best position to argue this because I have studied Japanese, but the point still stands. Unlike pure written text, as in novels and poetry, the text provides merely one facet to any gaming experience.

You have little involvement in the gameplay because you're not sure which set of symbols is the skills you want, or whatever.

Trial and error. Guides. Next.

Pro-importing is bad. It just shows them "well, why release it in English? People will buy it anyway."

Good and bad, actually. You could have a point that importing sends such a message, but only if SE were actually looking for it. I guarantee you SE does not hang around Play-Asia and Amazon trying to figure out where 3rd party seller copies of DQ games are going around the world all day. Importing can be good because, as I previously stated, some people find it fun. I find it fun, so I see little reason to deny myself fun games. It may be slightly selfish, sure, to import with the exceedingly small chance that I will condemn the fate of DQ in the west, but the benefits vastly outweigh the consequences for me. You also need to understand that those who import represent a very small, sometimes vocal minority not just within the DQ consumer-base, but also SE's consumer-base. Look at piracy, which results in zero profits for a game publisher for that piece of pirated software. When was the last time that piracy forced a game developer to stop localizing games in the west? I feel like it's happened maybe once or twice off hand that I can recall. And this importing scenario still results in profits for SE, so the potential for them to flub this up and decide against localization is exceedingly low. SE could just as easily interpret importing like this: "Wow, look at these passionate western users, willing to go to any lengths to import. Surely there are others who would gladly leap at a western localization." ...If they even happen to notice any substantial amount of importing happening, which is also very unlikely because

A) They aren't likely actively looking for such data and

B) There isn't a substantial amount of importing happening

Again, the benefits, for me, of importing outweigh the bad. It's a personal decision, and I make it with every new DQ that comes out.

and that region-locking is okay---and it's not. It never is and never will be.

Nothing bothers me more in gaming than region-locking. It's horrendous and only hurts the gaming community. It's also not even a part of this present discussion. Nowhere did any of us support region locking. I'm not sitting here on my high horse with my Japanese 3DS, lording it over everyone else. It sucks, and I wish things were different. They aren't, and I want to import, so I've made the decision to buy a Japanese 3DS. Again, personal decisions, personal tastes.

I feel like I stepped into bizarro world---I figured DQ fans of all people would be anti-region lock and pro-localization.

Again, I'm afraid you're on a slippery slope here. I hate region locking, and I'm definitely pro-localization. It'd be great for the DQ community and it'd allow much greater DQ exposure and accessibility on the whole. Nowhere did any of us say we supported region locking, nor did any of us say that we want DQ to stay in Japan -- such a suggestion is nothing less than absurd.

I totally understand how frustrating the dearth of DQ is in the west. It's endlessly frustrating, and every lack of DQ localization can feel like a betrayal from SE. Not one of us disagrees with this. However, because of personal taste, some of us enjoy importing, and the odds of importing damaging DQ's chances in the west for those who don't enjoy importing are near zero. I'm sorry if I sounded very harsh in my discussion here. I don't mean you any harm nor insult. It's a subject many of us are passionate about, and I wanted to speak my mind in such a way that I could display my points sharply and succinctly, and in so doing I sacrified some tact. I hope you will accept my apology and understand I mean no harm by my harshness.

Edited by 1upsuper
  • Upvote 1

It always surprises me how importing can be a touchy subject and how opinions can be all over the place.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 2

It always surprises me how importing can be a touchy subject and how opinions can be all over the place.

Well, to the gaming community, it's a very importing topic.

• Upvote 2

I will wait until the games we get are translated from Japanese to either English, Spanish, French, German, or Italian.

Well, to the gaming community, it's a very importing topic.

I guess the topic doesn't translate sometimes.

• Upvote 1

...Which is also where my "...everyone has to determine what is fun for themselves. Lots of people...enjoy playing Japanese DQs..." bit comes into play. :P The root of the issue is that people like different things, and it'd be great if everyone could respect that.

Yeah, but.. when someone asks, "Why is this fun to you?!" and you explain that "It is fun to me because it is fun to me!" that doesn't help the person understand at all.

Seems to me that Matt and Darck don't understand why importing a game could be fun and want to understand and aren't getting answers.