Sign in to follow this  
Griever

So, region-locked trailers?

I was reading the Siliconera article about the latest DQ8 trailer and they said it was region-locked.  I wonder if that's a bad sign or if it even matters.  I'm pretty damn sure that it's not a good sign.

I was reading the Siliconera article about the latest DQ8 trailer and they said it was region-locked.  I wonder if that's a bad sign or if it even matters.  I'm pretty damn sure that it's not a good sign.

Yeah, it's either neutral or bad.  Not sure which, but you're right - not a good sign.

I may have to download the trailer myself so I can attempt to draw the characters in their new outfits.  I'm still hoping that Yangus and Morrie do not get left out in the cold on this issue.  Even Marcello!

I think there is probably even more content in the game that still has yet to be mentioned.  They also said there could be things that will be unlocked once you beat the game.  I'm sure we will find out a day or two after it's release in Japan.  Someone over there will post what the unlockable material is.

At least Woodus cares. WHY CAN'T YOU SQEENIX?!

Oh, I know there are ways to watch it (already have), I just think it sucks that they bothered to region-lock it in the first place.

I don't understand what region locking a trailer will do when someone from Japan can easily post it somewhere else and then it gets boot legged all over the internet.  Squenix Japan doesn't make a whole lot of sense half the time.

Region locking needs to go away already. Blocking trailers, are you joking?  

Square Enix Japan wants all the YouTube monies going directly to them. Annoying, but I can also see why it's vaguely nationalist.

What, with Horii's statement and DQHeroes, along with the general Twitter name, general website name, general facebook name, and the recent teaser with Monsters Mondays that has yet to be used...maybe this is something to...oh, I don't know, write letters over.  Start a twitter campaign about how SE is denying RPG news in the West of DQ?

Maybe a short video with two 3DS, one labeled "The West", the other labeled "Japan".  The Japanese 3DS sitting on a really nice and fancy high chair, The West 3DS sitting on a rickety old chair.  In front of the Japanese 3DS is a place mat, splayed on the mat are 3DS DQ games.  Then it pans to the The West 3DS, where they have...a single black case, open, and empty, and a wooden spoon.  Then laughter, and a voice over says something like..."SE doesn't even want you to SEE the Dragon Quest games released in Japan...let alone release them.  Let not our 3DS's go hungry.  They will starve without a proper helping of DQ.  They tire of fat, sugar, and bread, they wish for real food..."

Something like that...

• Upvote 1

Hhhhmmm. I can't figure out if it's bad or neutral. Certainly not good. I'd say it's about chaotic neutral.

• Upvote 1

I like that idea! Someone really needs to do that or something similar... we need to get their attention somehow :P

But seriously, region locking the trailer? Why? What's the point? This is probably (Most definitely) a stretch, but is it a possibility that SE region locked the trailer specifically because of Yuji Horii's statement? Maybe they're going to make their own, different trailers for the West and didn't want us seeing this one?

Yeeaah, that's highly doubtful... but honestly, why the hell would they region lock the trailer? What purpose does it serve?!

Region-locked trailers are wholly common. It's just rare for the U.S. to have this issue. I can't tell you how many times I'll see comments in a video complaining about how they can't see the video in their home country.

• Upvote 1

Region-locked trailers are wholly common. It's just rare for the U.S. to have this issue. I can't tell you how many times I'll see comments in a video complaining about how they can't see the video in their home country.

That has more to do with copyright (Germany is an utter hellhole with copyright, sadly) than region-locking.

Region-locking is because of copyright.

So Square-Enix doesn't own the rights to show their DQ8 trailer in the US?

There are -no plans- for a US-based localization for DQ8. Square-Enix wouldn't release a trailer for international showing unless the trailer was for an already-released game (( FFXIV for example )), or if it's coming here and is confirmed (( FFXV, FF7R, etc. ))

There happens to be a few channels for SE, allow me to elaborate.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SQEXMembersNA- This is the US channel of SE. See trailers?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6SmH9mR82nj28_NNg_rZvA- Here's SE's main channel, hm.

Actually, after looking through all of this, this block -is- a dick move from the looks of it. Dwaine, can you elaborate just why all of these obviously JP only bound game videos are available for viewing, but DQ8 is blocked? Is it because they don't want to be sued for a shot of Jessica's tights or someshit?

It's blocked because SE simply doesn't think English speakers are worthy to see their demake of DQ8 come to life even if they know darn well the unworthy will never get the chance to play it.

I choose to believe this. At this point, it's a personal slight on Squeenix's part. A big $#!& you to their international DQ fans.

It's blocked because SE simply doesn't think English speakers are worthy to see their demake of DQ8 come to life even if they know darn well the unworthy will never get the chance to play it.

I choose to believe this. At this point, it's a personal slight on Squeenix's part. A big $#!& you to their international DQ fans.

Good thing you guys aren't fans of Doom. You don't know the definition of not letting commoners see a trailer like Bethesda does.

• Upvote 1

Eh, unless it was released by the company, I can understand hate for leaked footage by the company.

It makes people expect things, when the leak is just alpha footage that -can and WILL- change at any time.

Doom? Like the game I played on my Windows 3.1.1?

I choose to believe that they region-locked the trailer due to the Yuji Horii incident... so I shall remain optimistic for the possibility of a Western release, because as I see it, SE is finally starting to notice that the DQ fanbase even exists outside Japan... I'm not one of those people who thinks that SE outright hates Americans... I can understand why a lot of you would think that, but I'm just not one of them. I'm hoping that they're waiting until after Dragon Quest Heroes' initial release/sales die down to reveal something big about Dragon Quest, because them outright saying 'The future for Western Dragon Quest fans is bright!' and then localizing one single Dragon Quest spin-off and that is IT?! That's beyond a dickish move. That's bloody pure evil. 

But do my thoughts about them localizing more Dragon Quest games make me delusional?

Yeaah, probably...

'The future for Western Dragon Quest fans is bright!'

I'll believe it when I see it. All I've been seeing is excuses after excuses from Square Enix. 

I would love to see Horii pull the rug out from under SE and take his prized game to another company.

• Upvote 1