What graphical style do you want DQXI to have?

What game should it look more like?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since DQXI might be announced for the thirtieth anniversary and whatnot, the question comes as to what the game will look like in full motion.  Obviously, there are two main candidates.

Cell Shaded

ni-no-kuni_namcobandai_screenshots_39216

Cartoony Realism

1419436472-2.jpg

I actually want them to go with the cell shaded look of Ni No Kuni.  If they can pull off this kind of look it'll really do wonders for the game world and differentiate itself from the competition, as DQ Heroes is starting to resemble alot of other RPGs in terms of visuals.

I like the approach they've gone with for DQ Swords and DQ Heroes. Still has the anime cartoon look, but with more grounded earth colors and not as flashy. Add a slightly darker toned story line (a la DQ5-like) combined with the standard DQ humor, ingredients for a fantastic DQ game!

Edited by hawkeye77o4

DQVIII style. Wasn't that cell shaded?

It is.  I think they should stick to that style as well.  Not many cell shaded RPGs these days.

I like the art style of DQ Heroes, but I also like cel-shaded games like DQVIII, Ni no Kuni, Wind Waker and so on.

I'd be happy with either, honestly.

DQHeroes looks fantastic.  It looks and feels like an updated version of Blue Dragon's style of graphics.  I loved the enemy designs in Blue Dragon.  That game was hilarious.  DQH, just takes that, and the darker hues really add more depth and heighten the brighter colours, and remove that flash.  So I'd be just fine with it.

That said, I prefer a cell shaded look.  It's just unique, and fun, plus it works well with Dragon Quest, as 8 can attest to, however, looking at those backdrops and the gorgeous details in Heroes...I'd be fine with Heroes style graphics with a cell overlay.  That would really spice things up a bit I think.  The more I think about it, the more I want to play some Blue Dragon.

Cell-shaded is the way to go. Anime-style art doesn't translate well in the direction modern graphics is going. To me it looks like the gaming equivalent of a Robert Zemeckis animated movie.

Edited by eal

I would prefer the cell-shaded look of Dragon Quest 8 but I am fine with the art style of Dragon Quest Heroes as well.  

Either style would look fantastic for Dragon Quest 11.

I'd be good with either to be honest.

I would prefer cel-shaded for DQ.

I can get the other style from Phantasy Star or other games.

Both look good, though.

There should be a third option. "Both look good. I'll take either. Just get XI over here!"

Would I be wrong to assume that most people envision DQ11 to be an upgraded DQ8?  Maybe I didn't word that just right.  This is the first DQ game to come to the big screen since DQ8, so I invariably think of the two together.  But yeah...  cel-shaded. 

Cell-shaded for me as well. Generally tends to look off to me when games that use Toriyama's art style aren't cell-shaded (DBZ Budokai, DQ73DS, Heroes, etc).

Edited by SlackerGuyS21

8bit.

Would I be wrong to assume that most people envision DQ11 to be an upgraded DQ8?  Maybe I didn't word that just right.  This is the first DQ game to come to the big screen since DQ8, so I invariably think of the two together.  But yeah...  cel-shaded. 

That is exactly what I've been wanting for a decade now lol.  I want a new game like DQ 8 only prettier.  DQ 8 still looks phenomenal.  Just up the resolution to HD standards and slap a sticker on it for all I care.  I wouldn't care if DQ 11 looked exactly like DQ 8 but in full 1080p glory!

If DQ 8 could look that good on PS2 hardware imagine how good DQ 11 could look on PS4 or Wii U hardware...  I really dig the Dragon Quest Heroes art style and again I'd be perfectly fine if the game ended up looking like that but I've been wanting an "upgraded DQ8" since I finished DQ 8 back in 2005.

DQ8 with the number of different items and trinkets all over the place.  Heck, bring in 9's pot/barrel/cupboard system too!  Also some more variety of trees, lol.  There's more than just spruce, snow covered spruce, and palm!

DQ8 with the number of different items and trinkets all over the place.  Heck, bring in 9's pot/barrel/cupboard system too!  Also some more variety of trees, lol.  There's more than just spruce, snow covered spruce, and palm!

Maybe even certain characters having the ability to climb certain trees and find useful items in them?

Would I be wrong to assume that most people envision DQ11 to be an upgraded DQ8? Maybe I didn't word that just right. This is the first DQ game to come to the big screen since DQ8, so I invariably think of the two together. But yeah... cel-shaded.

That's exactly what I envision too. I want the next step forward from DQVIII. All of the adventure and the visual style of VIII with the alive and ever changing world of DQV. That would be the best game yet.

I really would like DQXI to look like DQ5PS2, but cell shaded and with HD texture resolution and output resolution. But that's for towns and dungeons... On the world map it would be neat to see it play very much like X, but with the same chibi visual scale as DQ5.

Also, if like to see it use some variation of X's battle system. Because it's very much a real time system, party members would have to be AI controlled, but it would be neat to see online drop in/drop out co op, where's your friends could take control off your party members. (But I don't want player created party members... DQ needs to return to a type of storytelling where your party members actually have an impact on the story.)

Edited by Erdrick The Hero
  • 3 weeks later...

Bumping since the game got announced.  It looks like they went back to the cell shaded sort of look.  It isn't quite Ni No Kuni, but it still looks pretty good to me.