So first got an action heavy, Dynasty Warriors esque spinoff, and now a building, Minecraft spinoff...

If the next spin off is a fighting game, Square Enix can have my money. I don't care what platform it's on, I'll master that game and main Yangus and Ragnar if they were playable.

Yes! A 3D DQ fighting game. what would you prefer? side by side fighter or dissidia style?

2vs2 tag team fighter in the vein of the Capcom Vs. series (Marvel vs Capcom, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, etc)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dragon Quest Minecraft? Jesus Christ. This series has officially jumped the shark.

And a rhythm game didn't do it, or an on-rails motion control game, or a board game, or Dynasty Warriors game, or a mystery dungeon game, or Monsters spin-offs, or the Battle Road fighting games, or a

They said immediately after they bought Minecraft they would continue support for their rival's versions. The Vita version came out in like the same month of the announcement.

Ew. This is disgusting. My eyes are personally offended. Why did you link to a Kotaku article?

LOL.

In their defense Kotaku has gotten better haha.

My favorite is the one they put out last week were the writer basically goes "Now, I haven't finished Arkham Knight yet or anything but HOW DARE THEY DO THAT THING TO A FEMALE CHARACTER IN THE GAME SO BATMAN CAN HAVE MAN-FEELZ I'M OFFENDED TOWARDS YOU ROCKSTEADY. But keep in mind I haven't finished the game yet so my opinion might change later on." If he had finished the game before putting out an article about it his opinion was probably gonna change.

Then there was the headlines they made for click-baiting people by publishing an article about Kickstarted game creators mismanaging money and then using a picture of Yooka-Laylee.

Edited by eal

But given Microsoft now owns Minecraft, a theoretical MC2 wouldn't pop up on Sony systems, so it's kind of a moot point for Japan and I don't see people flocking in droves to buy a One for it.

Which is even better news for DQ Builders.

Thought it was 5 announcements planned, one per week.

Like last week was the new DQVIII boss/dungeon/cover art and this week was DQ Builders.

I can see 5 Sony games though, either way there's still 3 announcements left supposedly and/or 2 games to reveal.

Well I don't think Minecraft 2 will ever happen (which is why I said "if it would ever happen") to be honest. But I am shocked Microsoft hasn't pulled the game from iOS, Android, and the PlayStation systems. I guess you don't spend $2.5 billion on a franchise and make it exclusive to Windows Phone and Xbox. Minecraft was worth billions because it was on everything (well minus Nintendo platforms).

That said a Minecraft 2 that was available on PlayStation platforms would see similar increases in Japan that Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, and that Level-5 3DS franchise (name escapes me) saw with their sequels (doubling the sales of the original game).

Anyway I think the sales potential for the game is huge. I'm not saying 2 or 3 million or something crazy like that but I can see it clearing a million combined. DQH 1 did ~800,000 right? And Minecraft did ~900,000 across PS3, Vita, and PS4. I would certainly give it a try.

But given Microsoft now owns Minecraft, a theoretical MC2 wouldn't pop up on Sony systems, so it's kind of a moot point for Japan and I don't see people flocking in droves to buy a One for it.

Which is even better news for DQ Builders.

Thought it was 5 announcements planned, one per week.

Like last week was the new DQVIII boss/dungeon/cover art and this week was DQ Builders.

I can see 5 Sony games though, either way there's still 3 announcements left supposedly and/or 2 games to reveal.

Well I don't think Minecraft 2 will ever happen (which is why I said "if it would ever happen") to be honest. But I am shocked Microsoft hasn't pulled the game from iOS, Android, and the PlayStation systems. I guess you don't spend $2.5 billion on a franchise and make it exclusive to Windows Phone and Xbox. Minecraft was worth billions because it was on everything (well minus Nintendo platforms).

That said a Minecraft 2 that was available on PlayStation platforms would see similar increases in Japan that Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, and that Level-5 3DS franchise (name escapes me) saw with their sequels (doubling the sales of the original game).

Anyway I think the sales potential for the game is huge. I'm not saying 2 or 3 million or something crazy like that but I can see it clearing a million combined. DQH 1 did ~800,000 right? And Minecraft did ~900,000 across PS3, Vita, and PS4. I would certainly give it a try.

Yokai Watch, can't wait for that one to finally hit the west later this year.

And I'm not saying the potential isn't huge, I can easily see it clearing a million.

It could also do more for the series in the west depending on how they promote it, for the crowd that's into Minecraft.

That said, I also don't want SE to get the wrong idea and not release any mainline games overseas if that becomes huge, granted that's already happening. XD

Edited by Tiael

Ew. This is disgusting. My eyes are personally offended. Why did you link to a Kotaku article?

LOL.

In their defense Kotaku has gotten better haha.

My favorite is the one they put out last week were the writer basically goes "Now, I haven't finished Arkham Knight yet or anything but HOW DARE THEY DO THAT THING TO A FEMALE CHARACTER IN THE GAME SO BATMAN CAN HAVE MAN-FEELZ I'M OFFENDED TOWARDS YOU ROCKSTEADY. But keep in mind I haven't finished the game yet so my opinion might change later on." If he had finished the game before putting out an article about it his opinion was probably gonna change.

Then there was the headlines they made for click-baiting people by publishing an article about Kickstarted game creators mismanaging money and then using a picture of Yooka-Laylee.

I get that Kotaku has its faults (it's not far above Polygon IMO). I just stated that they have gotten better. :)

Personally I'm upset about how all the mainstream game sites were reporting FUD regarding the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter when a) they didn't know the facts and b) their speculations ended up wrong (yet no apology articles were ever made).

Truth to be said I rely on Neo GAF almost exclusively for my gaming needs. I have no use for IGN, Kotaku, Polygon, or 99.9% of the gaming media.

They said immediately after they bought Minecraft they would continue support for their rival's versions. The Vita version came out in like the same month of the announcement.

• Upvote 2

I know they wouldn't stop supporting those since they were already out and the Vita one was announced previously and coming out around the time of the announcement. But I don't see a theoretical MC2 releasing on rival platforms, if it were to happen.

That said, enter how huge DQ is in Japan, the potential for Minecraft type games given 900,000+ sales and a DQ spin-off thematically similar to Minecraft, exclusively on Sony systems.

And increase the PS4 userbase in Japan even more, quite possibly. Though the Vita version will likely sell a lot more.

Then down the line, announce DQXI for PS3/PS4.

Edited by Tiael

I remember people joking that Microsoft supported the Vita better than Sony when Minecraft launched on the system lol. :P

Still it's worth debating - Was the Minecraft IP worth $2.5 billion if it's going to be locked to Windows Phone and Xbox going forward? Probably not. But I'm sure Microsoft was just as interested in the merchandise and licensing of the IP as much as the game itself. I see Minecraft toys, action figures, lunch boxes, and everything else under the sun whenever I go shopping. I can't imagine Microsoft thinking the game itself is worth that much money (especially since they bought the Gears IP for something like $100 million, a drop in the bucket compared to Minecraft). It seems to me Microsoft wants to cash in on the merchandising, which is why they kept supporting the iOS/Android/Sony versions.

It would be interesting to see how successful a Minecraft 2 would be once the iOS, Android, and PlayStation versions are left out. It would still sell a stupid amount of copies but would be lucky to hit half of the original's numbers I would think. As long as the original keeps making money on non-Microsoft platforms it helps pay back that $2.5 billion though, so there's that! Although I don't think there will ever be a true Minecraft 2 anyway. I honestly don't even know how you would make a sequel to start with....

I actually don't like this. I mean we know nothing about this but based off the screen shot, it seems quite shameless.

Anymore shameless than jumping on the Pokemon bandwagon with DQ Monsters? I realize capturing monsters goes back to 1992's Dragon Quest 5 but centering the entire game around "gotta catch'em/gotta train'em" during Pokemon's height in the late 90's is kinda the same thing. Edited by Bob_the_Almighty
  • Upvote 1

Definitely more shameless. As you said, Dragon Quest had already had a background in monster capture, and in any case dqm had enough to build its own identity. Pokemon and dq have a sort of ouroboral relationship in a lot of ways.

This.... This is just too blatant

The way Microsoft is supporting Minecraft via their home console over the others is that stupid 3D thing they showcased at E3. Don't know if it's going to be available for all platforms.

I'm actually pretty excited about this. It seems like SquareEnix is ditching Nintendo in favor of Sony this gen. Dragon Quest XI is shaping up to be released on PS4. I originally had no intention of purchasing a PS4, but I guess that will change now...

Not really interested in this. Surprised they opted to do this. Hopefully its more 3Dot Heroes than Minecraft.

It seems like SquareEnix is ditching Nintendo in favor of Sony this gen.

That's incredibly inaccurate.

Not really for new releases. There are remakes and whatnot for Nintendo consoles, but haven't been many new titles this gen.

Edited by wintermute

Definitely more shameless. As you said, Dragon Quest had already had a background in monster capture, and in any case dqm had enough to build its own identity. Pokemon and dq have a sort of ouroboral relationship in a lot of ways.

This.... This is just too blatant

Yeah, it's no where near comparable to their other spinoffs. They were all just general ideas that wouldn't really be considered a ripoff of something specific or things the series already had a background in. And with Dragon Quest Heroes it was literally developed by the same people that make Dynasty Warriors so... you know, whatever. It's just the original makers licensing the DQ name for a game of their own.

But a sandbox game with lego block graphics focused on building things? This is a blatant ripoff of Minecraft that most likely has nothing to do with the original developer of Minecraft. It doesn't help that you already have like 50 games on steam trying to cash in on Minecraft's popularity by imitating it so when you see a series like DQ fall into the same line it's kind of disappointing.

It seems like SquareEnix is ditching Nintendo in favor of Sony this gen.

That's incredibly inaccurate.
Not really for new releases. There are remakes and whatnot for Nintendo consoles, but haven't been many new titles this gen.

That doesn't mean they've ditched Nintendo. If years worth of games have been coming out for Nintendo that's the opposite of ditching them, remake or not.

Perhaps I picked the wrong wording.

I would have said they are "expanding their horizons" or something lol. After a decade of being tied into Nintendo exclusivity they are finding that there's money to be made in supporting other company and devices as well. We are seeing strong mobile support in addition to strong Sony support. "PlayStation" always had a strong global appeal and it looks like SE wants to bank on that appeal to grow the franchise outside of Japan. The PS4 is the most popular gaming platform on a world-wide level at the moment.

It's not much different when SE took Final Fantasy to the Xbox 360 last generation. Just because the bulk of their sales was on PS3 doesn't mean their wasn't money to be made by making 360 versions. Even later the last-gen FF games made their way to Steam as well.

We live in an age where console/system-exclusivity is a dying bread.

Edited by Bob_the_Almighty
  • Upvote 1

I'm actually pretty excited about this. It seems like SquareEnix is ditching Nintendo in favor of Sony this gen.

It's sort of surprising since a lot of their big hits in the last few years were 3DS games. But considering that the Wii U sold like hot garbage and the 3DS is aging, it's no real wonder why they might be looking to shift gears.

Plus, Nintendo's been throwing ideas out there left and right so maybe Sony is looking to migrate back to play it safe.

Edited by Mettool

I'm actually pretty excited about this. It seems like SquareEnix is ditching Nintendo in favor of Sony this gen.

It's sort of surprising since a lot of their big hits in the last few years were 3DS games. But considering that the Wii U sold like hot garbage and the 3DS is aging, it's no real wonder why they might be looking to shift gears.

Plus, Nintendo's been throwing ideas out there left and right so maybe Sony is looking to migrate back to play it safe.

Even with Sony they are not "exclusive" in the traditional sense, like how DQ 7 was a PS1 exclusive, DQ 8 was a PS2 exclusive, and DQ 9 was a DS exclusive. All the Sony games have been multi-platform releases, just within a single ecosystem. Neither the PS4 nor the Vita could rightly support a DQ game but together and with the PS3 thrown in? You bet.

I still wouldn't say that DQ is leaving Nintendo as DQ 8 3DS was announced not that long ago. They clearly won't support the Wii U because it's dead for all intents and purposes but the 3DS is still a viable platform and they could be planning NX support already.

Edited by Bob_the_Almighty

What are you talking about? The PS4 is doing well everywhere BUT Japan. The Wii U has some 2.3 million units in Japan compared to the 1 million PS4s in Japan. It might be performing poorly in America but it's doing just fine in Japan.

And it doesn't matter how old it is, so long as it still continually outsells every console across the world week after week, the 3DS will remain relevant. Keep in mind how mind-boggling my long the PS2 managed to stay relevant after its lifetime.

As previously reported, Dragon Quest Builders takes place in a blocky world of “Alefgard,†the geographical setting of the first Dragon Quest game. Here’s the story of Dragon Quest Builders:

Long ago, there was a fierce battle between humans and monsters. The central figure of the humans, the Hero, fell for a trap by the Dragonlord and vanished.

Having lost their pillar of support, the humans lost the fight and have been living in a world shrouded by darkness, where the number of humans has began to dwindle as the days go by.

As time passed, a youth stands up against the Dragonlord and his tyranny—and thus begins the story of Dragon Quest Builders.

The protagonist comes in male and female versions, both drawn by series designer Akira Toriyama. He/she has a special power of being able to create an item out of just about anything.

At first, you’ll be in a world with basically nothing. From there, you’ll gather “Material†from various parts around the world, and create items, towns, and castles. The world will continue to spread out as you continue expanding the main base. And yes—there are battles against monsters.

Yuji Horii commented, “Dragon Quest Builders is a completely new block-make RPG, where you’ll revive and recover the land of Alefgard that has been devastated by the Dragonlord. The world of Alefgard that is represented by blocks will allow you to freely build, break, and remodel, similar to the feeling of a sandbox or building blocks. I hope to see you make your very own world of Alefgard.â€

Dragon Quest Builders is scheduled to release in Japan this winter for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation Vita.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/09/dragon-quest-builders-is-set-in-the-first-dragon-quest-game-with-blocks/

Shameless or not, definitely interested in rebuilding Alefgard.

Edited by Tiael
  • Upvote 1