• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dragon Quest Minecraft? Jesus Christ. This series has officially jumped the shark.

And a rhythm game didn't do it, or an on-rails motion control game, or a board game, or Dynasty Warriors game, or a mystery dungeon game, or Monsters spin-offs, or the Battle Road fighting games, or a

They said immediately after they bought Minecraft they would continue support for their rival's versions. The Vita version came out in like the same month of the announcement.

Well at least it's going to get released outside Japan, unlike all the 3DS spin-offs.

A Neo GAF insider (one with a great track record; even stated last year that the FF 7 Remake was already being worked) stated that every PlayStation Dragon Quest title was coming to the west.

So far that's DQ Heroes 1 and 2 and now DQ Builders. DQH 1 is PS3/PS4 and DQH 2 and Builders is PS3/PS4/Vita. We won't get the PS3 versions but we should see all the PS4 and Vita versions.

So it's basically Minecraft: Dragon Quest edition?

I don't know how to respond. Hmm...

• Upvote 1

So first got an action heavy, Dynasty Warriors esque spinoff, and now a building, Minecraft spinoff...

If the next spin off is a fighting game, Square Enix can have my money. I don't care what platform it's on, I'll master that game and main Yangus and Ragnar if they were playable.

Dragon Quest Minecraft? Jesus Christ. This series has officially jumped the shark.

And a rhythm game didn't do it, or an on-rails motion control game, or a board game, or Dynasty Warriors game, or a mystery dungeon game, or Monsters spin-offs, or the Battle Road fighting games, or a action adventure series with tanks, ships and a Slime protagonist, or a strategy RPG?

Just saying, it's a fairly intriguing idea, and I'm more reminded of 3D Dot Game Heroes which was great, that game combined with say an in-depth Georama from the Dark Cloud games where you rebuild Alefgard, I can get behind.

Edited by Tiael
  • Upvote 3

Totally unexpected.

So first got an action heavy, Dynasty Warriors esque spinoff, and now a building, Minecraft spinoff...

If the next spin off is a fighting game, Square Enix can have my money. I don't care what platform it's on, I'll master that game and main Yangus and Ragnar if they were playable.

Yes! A 3D DQ fighting game. what would you prefer? side by side fighter or dissidia style?

And a rhythm game didn't do it, or an on-rails motion control game, or a board game, or Dynasty Warriors game, or a mystery dungeon game, or Monsters spin-offs, or the Battle Road fighting games, or a action adventure series with tanks, ships and a Slime protagonist, or a strategy RPG?

Just saying, it's a fairly intriguing idea, and I'm more reminded of 3D Dot Game Heroes which was great, that game combined with say an in-depth Georama from the Dark Cloud games where you rebuild Alefgard, I can get behind.

None of those are 1/100th the popularity of Minecraft though, even in Japan.

I still agree with you, though. These are just spinoffs. If DQ11 was an FPS, or something, that's jumping the shark. Otherwise, these are just sidegames.

Well, as of February Minecraft on Sony sold 500,000 in Japan, even remakes of the Monster games sold more than that.

I'm not even going to count the Xbox sales because it's fairly pitiful.

It's not as big in Japan as you make it seem to be, nothing like it is in the west anyways with 30+ million.

That said, I can see DQB being huge in Japan, but yes, it's a spin-off, not a mainline game.

Also, supposedly this is the second of five announcements (one per week) they are doing, possibly leading up to unveiling DQXI.

First one was the DQVIII box-art/new boss Jahagaros/dungeon for the 3DS release, and the second one being DQ Builders.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/26/minecraft-sells-a-whopping-500k-in-japan

And keep in mind PC sales aren't anything in Japan like they are here, which is why people still play FFXI on PS2 in Japan and they also play FFXIV: ARR on PS3 and PS4 more than PC.

And DQX Wii/U has more copies sold than the PC version, and the 3DS which you need a separate subscription for as it only cloud-streams the game nearly sold out.

Anyways, with the modicum of success Minecraft has in Japan compared to the west and that style of game being translated to Dragon Quest, which is its own juggernaut in Japan, I can see this selling over a million, minimum.

I'm also hearing DQB is gonna play more like Zelda, which is where I get the 3D Dot Game Heroes comparison out of it (not to mention the appearance)

Edited by Tiael

Seems interesting to me.  Especially how it takes place in the Alefgard trilogy timeline.  What really catches my eye is that Kotaku mentions the game will be an RPG, so I look forward to see how those mechanics are implemented~  I think it could be pretty neat to see a traditional Dragon Quest class system in this sort of game.  I'm also excited to see familar dragon quest monsters and weapons/armors in this game.. hopefully the equipment doesn't look too overly pixely.  The Dragon looks great so far.

Edited by Neko

Ew. This is disgusting. My eyes are personally offended. Why did you link to a Kotaku article?

LOL.

In their defense Kotaku has gotten better haha.

They still fail to disclose conflicts of interest, which is about 50-70% of their articles, and are still heavy into rating games based off of their appeal to social justice (or their notion of it, anyway) as opposed to treating them as... fiction.

Although my biggest problem with them is the immense clickbait and poor writing.

Well, as of February Minecraft on Sony sold 500,000 in Japan, even remakes of the Monster games sold more than that.

It's not as big in Japan as you make it seem to be, nothing like it is in the west anyways with 30+ million.

That said, I can see DQB being huge in Japan, but yes, it's a spin-off, not a mainline game.

Also, supposedly this is the second of five announcements (one per week) they are doing, possibly leading up to unveiling DQXI.

First one was the DQVIII box-art/new boss Jahagaros/dungeon for the 3DS release, and the second one being DQ Builders.

It regularly rates in the Top 5 best selling games. I think that speaks volumes about its popularity that it regularly does better than most Japanese games.

Where did you find the sales figures? I can't find anything about its sales figures in recent times, let alone in Japan.

Yeah Kotaku is kinda lame but they have gotten better. I still don't like the site though.

As for Minecraft, someone posted these sales at Neo GAF:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1076888

Minecraft Vita tops 500k through Famitsu:

[360] Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft Game Studios) { 2013-06-06 } - 24.799

[PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition (Mojang) {2014-06-24} - 297.907

[XB1] Minecraft: Xbox One Edition (Microsoft Game Studios) {2014-09-05} - 855

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Mojang) {2014-10-29} - 502.655

[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition (Mojang) {2014-12-25} - 96.569

Ew. This is disgusting. My eyes are personally offended. Why did you link to a Kotaku article?

LOL.

In their defense Kotaku has gotten better haha.

They still fail to disclose conflicts of interest, which is about 50-70% of their articles, and are still heavy into rating games based off of their appeal to social justice (or their notion of it, anyway) as opposed to treating them as... fiction.

Although my biggest problem with them is the immense clickbait and poor writing.

It regularly rates in the Top 5 best selling games. I think that speaks volumes about its popularity that it regularly does better than most Japanese games.

Where did you find the sales figures? I can't find anything about its sales figures in recent times, let alone in Japan.

Yeah Kotaku is kinda lame but they have gotten better. I still don't like the site though.

As for Minecraft, someone posted these sales at Neo GAF:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1076888

Minecraft Vita tops 500k through Famitsu:

[360] Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft Game Studios) { 2013-06-06 } - 24.799

[PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition (Mojang) {2014-06-24} - 297.907

[XB1] Minecraft: Xbox One Edition (Microsoft Game Studios) {2014-09-05} - 855

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Mojang) {2014-10-29} - 502.655

[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition (Mojang) {2014-12-25} - 96.569

Good, more updated figures, the 500k in general for Sony was from February.

Thanks.

That said, 900kish across Sony is nothing to sneeze at, but some Monster remakes did do more than that.

At any rate, it's only good news for DQ Builders in Japan.

Anyways, I hope to hear some news on the actual gameplay and see more footage of DQB soon.

Opinions on it seem pretty divided so far.

I mean I'll give it a shot. As long as it's something more than "Literally Minecraft with some Dragon Quest stuff in it." i.e., an actual campaign and battle system. I can't really judge it yet based on one screenshot, but I'm praying that they don't play this completely straight.

I think people are looking at this the wrong way. It looks like now they're going for an open world sandbox like Minecraft, but with Dragon Quest RPG elements thrown in there. So basically it's Oblivion but you can build stuff and it's Dragon Questy. Could be awesome.

Good, more updated figures, the 500k in general for Sony was from February.

Thanks.

That said, 900kish across Sony is nothing to sneeze at, but some Monster remakes did do more than that.

At any rate, it's only good news for DQ Builders in Japan.

Anyways, I hope to hear some news on the actual gameplay and see more footage of DQB soon.

Well Minecraft is still a new IP. 900k is amazing for a franchise (if you even want to call it that; it's only one game) that didn't even exist a few years ago. A Minecraft 2, if that would ever happen, would likely explode in the same fashion that DQ 2 did after DQ 1 or how the Monster Hunter turned from a 500,000 franchise to a 4+ million one.

Either way "Dragon Quest + Minecraft" is a huge potential seller. The PS3/PS4/Vita multi-platform release is going to make sure it sells as well.

Supposedly there's five planned Dragon Quest games for Sony systems in the foreseeable future. DQ Heroes 1, DQ Heroes 2, and DQ Builders are three of them. I wouldn't be surprised if a DQ remake (say a DQ 9 remake), a DQ 10 port, or DQ 11 weren't at least being considered for the Sony systems.

I was thinking earlier DQ 1-8 were all originally console titles that eventually got handheld (and later mobile) remakes so it would make sense that the only handheld DQ (DQ 9) would get a console remake! It makes perfect (reverse) sense lol.

Edited by Bob_the_Almighty

But given Microsoft now owns Minecraft, a theoretical MC2 wouldn't pop up on Sony systems, so it's kind of a moot point for Japan and I don't see people flocking in droves to buy a One for it.

Which is even better news for DQ Builders.

Thought it was 5 announcements planned, one per week.

Like last week was the new DQVIII boss/dungeon/cover art and this week was DQ Builders.

I can see 5 Sony games though, either way there's still 3 announcements left supposedly and/or 2 games to reveal.

Edited by Tiael
  • Upvote 1