Sign in to follow this  
Slimeknight

Cover art revealed. Also, Loto's Sword is first print bonus.

Not that great.  The original Japanese boxart was amazing (and the US one wasn't bad either).  Something about the composition is throwing me off.

• Upvote 1

It's okay. I'll give it a passing grade.

Something about the composition is throwing me off.

It's cropped and the character art layer has been moved up and over. See? Interesting how this game seems to have gotten a new original cover. The only DS/3DS titles Toriyama has done the cover for have been both Monsters games and VIII.

they left Angelo, Morrie, and Red out of the art.

GOOD!

• Upvote 1

GOOD!

Its a good cover, though I don't think I like how Dhoulmagus is shown so clearly.  I always liked the mystery surrounding him until you finally find him.  As a kid it took me months until I saw his face, they're kind of ruining that feeling now.

• Upvote 1

Yeah i know what you mean by reveling Dhoulmagus so soon. I guess they figure most of the people playing the game played the PS2 version. 

And the cover art is good but Angelo is missing again. so, show Dhoulmagus, leave out Angelo, ok. 

I wonder how powerful Loto's sword will be. It could be a game changer.

No. No it could not. Not at all.

It would be cool if the sword of Roto was one of the strongest and when used as a item, Thordain!

I doubt it will be one of the strongest weapons. Probably mid tier at best that casts Zap when used. It is a first print run item, and usually with those type of items they can last a while but end up overshadowed.

However, because 8 does have the alchemy pot, it could be that there may be a new recipe to strengthen the sword much like the Miracle Sword and Falcon Sword.

Or the sword won't be obtainable until much later, making it a viable weapon and debunking my first claim. It could either act as a strong equipable weapon or as an item only weapon for another party member to use.

We'll just have to see I guess.

I'm really surprised a lot of you guys don't like this cover.  Personally, I love it!~  It's already one of my favourite DQ covers and gives a fresh feel to an all to a very familar DQ.  I'm very happy with the artwork they used (I think it's new?  I've not seen it before), and I really like how they put Dhoulmagus on the cover.  I think other DQs could benefit from this, like imagine seeing Zoma on the cover of DQIII

Im with Neko. I love the cover. It reminds me of the japanese covers of DQ2 and 4. Hopefully we will get the same cover when its released here :)

Dhoulmagud was in a few cut scenes so I don't really see how putting him on the cover would have spoiled it as others say. If you put Rapthorne on it yeah that would be spoiler tastic. The same goes for Zoma. Now putting Baramos on there on the other hand is hunky-dory.

I'm really surprised a lot of you guys don't like this cover.  Personally, I love it!~  It's already one of my favourite DQ covers and gives a fresh feel to an all to a very familar DQ.  I'm very happy with the artwork they used (I think it's new?  I've not seen it before), and I really like how they put Dhoulmagus on the cover.  I think other DQs could benefit from this, like imagine seeing Zoma on the cover of DQIII

I like the cover too, I like any new art done by the original artist, it's very inspiring for me as a budding artist.  I just wished they would have put Red, Morrie, and Angelo in it too.

I like it as well, Angelo missing does bother me a bit. I guess showing Dhoulmagus on the cover isn't to bad. I did like how they hid his face for a long time on the PS2 though.

• Upvote 1

I like it as well, Angelo missing does bother me a bit. I guess showing Dhoulmagus on the cover isn't to bad. I did like how they hid his face for a long time on the PS2 though.

And to be fair Angelo also wasn't on the front cover of DQVIII PS2, in JP, NA or EU.

He was on the back though.

Have we seen the back of the DQVIII 3DS box-art yet? Or just the front cover?

I'm importing so I wonder if I'll get one of the first print copies with Loto's Sword.

• Upvote 1

Its a good cover, though I don't think I like how Dhoulmagus is shown so clearly.  I always liked the mystery surrounding him until you finally find him.  As a kid it took me months until I saw his face, they're kind of ruining that feeling now.

Just as I felt last week when I started a new game in the US PS2 version, and the first scene shows the moment the curse is cast...

Do they really think it is necessary to show that first when bringing games? If it ends up that is really is needed, then what is wrong with Western gamers? ;)

Starting with the sun light shining and Topo/Munchie running to the party, then discovering about the curse and the princess, without actually having any idea of what they look like works better, in my opinion. And finally seeing what Torode looks like as a human was better without that scene that spoils it as the game starts.

I think the same as Megalosaro, but now that I see the full, original piece, I love that one. Although it makes me wish for a second part that finishes the image at the left side, with a look at Lapthorn and the rest of the party. Just like interconnecting comic book covers. :D

• Upvote 1

Personally, the things bothering me on the cover are first Dhoulmagus' face is abit pale(?) and I hope maybe they either give it a transparentness or make it more white. It just has too much interlacing artwork and needs an area slightly different (and his face would be perfect). Maybe give him a slight alteration in the face to seem more crazy (wider eyes or lower his eyes; or adjust the mouth to slightly wider proportion, like his chuckle). Another thing is the castle is hinted at in the background, just being the tips of the tower. It's too is washed out. I would of loved, I don't know, some different angling. Make it seem what it is....a den of sadness, frozen in time. It would not need to be lowered much, just enough to give that feeling. Like when in the game you arrived and the gloomful music overtakes you; realizing the true weight of the hero's quest, the terror capitulated on the retainer's faces.

My thought would be make Dhoulmagus semi-transparent or fade out slightly, with the castle's outlay and thorns follow in the areas slightly and become more prominent on the full left side of the cover.

Also the She-slime might need to repostion as well (not from the lineup but just angle her not so parallel to Yangus' head). Actually they might need to fix that with the entire team. I mean, the Hero's leap is awesome. However the cast is so perfectly lined up. Maybe make a slight adjustment so the image doesn't follow the exactness. The original cut off parts, but it gave the whole sense and, in that respect, made it more natural as things do not line up neatly hardly.

I don't mind the missing Angelo (who you'd know join after a certain point, but was questionable in some regards and allowed focus on his character backstory) and two new additional party members being off the front cover. It doesn't lay out all the options at the beginning, which is great for new players. What is wrong is there is no Munchie! Seriously, he had so much influence in the game he deserves the cover art. Also he is there during the whole game. First part? Munchie running up to the Hero.

I really liked the original's artwork cover since it gave the sense of exploration, fitting so well with the theme of "To a Vast/Strange World".

However change can be good.

Edited by dragovrune
  • Upvote 1

I dont want to analyze the cover, so I'll just say it looks cool.