Has anybody found a greater appreciation for Dragon Quest VI?

I just updated my iOS DQVI and the update was labeled:

"Fixed a bug that operate with a particular terminal becomes speed."

I think that update was written by the guy who localized Zero Wing.

LOL, that's a funny statement.  Kind of hard to decode exactly what he means.

So DQ6 and linearity...doesn't exist until Lorelei's Harp.

Progression:

Weaver's Peak -> Mountain Pass -> Haggleton -> NW Hole -> Wellshire -> Well -> Haggleton -> Weaver's Peak -> Somnia -> Northern Pass -> Underground Channel to Alltrade's -> Alltrade's Hole? -> Alltrade's Ruins? -> Port Haven -> Madam Luca ->  Dreamseer's Cave -> Madam Luca...

First Optional: Wellshire!  (can also grab the armour from Weaver's Peak)

...-> Port Haven -> Somnia? -> Amor -> Amor? -> Cave N. of Amor -> Amor...

Pick up world-switching Zoom location from Luca

Can also visit Port Haven to see resolution

...-> Moonmirror Tower -> Somnia -> Underkeep -> Somnia? -> Somnia! -> Ghent -> Murdaw's Island -> Murdaw's Castle -> Somnia...

Second Optional: Scrimsley (careful or Amos will leave forever)

Port Haven can be visited to see the second to last event in Carver's family substory.

YOU CAN go to Howcastle area, but the pass to Howcastle will be closed.

...-> Arkbolt -> Cave -> Terry's a JERK -> Arkbolt -> Cave -> Northern Lands -> Stairs -> Cave -> Aridea -> Isle o' Smiles -> Aridea...

YOU CAN now abuse the Spieglespire for class progress...realize this is quite rough going for most people at this stage.

Carver's final family substory event is available.

...-> Stairs to Howcastle -> Howcastle -> Prince is a brat -> Cave -> that village -> Cave -> Howcastle -> Clearvale -> Clearvale! -> Destiny's Drop -> Clearvale...

Third Optional: Suite Dreams (possible to get both Mercury and Curie at this point)

Visit Dream World Amor for a special event, then return to Real World Amor for an item in the same spot as the event...the Meteorite Bracer.

Can also get a few items from churches and spots around the Dream World.

Can also visit the shrine with a well that leads to Dullerton, but nothing can be done there.  Careful though, as Dullerton's monsters can easily rip through a party below 28, regardless of vocations.

...-> Well to Swanstone -> Swanstone -> Spieglespire -> Swanstone -> open the Floodgate...

The Stylist can be visited in his Well South of Swanstone.

...-> Pescado -> Cave in Pescado minigame -> Bring ship around to front of cave -> Mermaid to Reef -> THE HARP!...

It should be noted that if Curie is recruited, then Shelley can be recruited.

Optional 4: Pirate Ship for the Ultimate Key, and a TON of treasure...required for 5 and 6

Optional 5: Underwater Castle with Ashlynn's Ultimate weapon (possible below 30, but it takes tremendous luck and knowledge of skills and classes)

Optional 6: Warp to Unlock the Arena in the Dreamworld...then the Arena itself

Game progression: Chateau de Sass up to level 3 for the Carpet

Optional 7: Chateau de Sass up to level 7 for Kingsley, and then finish the sidequest

Game progression possibility 1: Mt. Snowhere -> E. Cave -> Mt. Snowhere -> N. Cave -> Terry is an even bigger JERK! -> Mt. Snowhere...

Game progression possibility 1.1: ...-> Longadeseo (requires Mt. Snowhere's completion) -> find Mo -> find Welda -> Longadeseo...

Optional 8: all other underwater areas, including the well cave below Somnia

Optional 9: Gandino, the Mini Medal Extravaganza and the Mob (though this CAN and SHOULD wait until Terry is recruited for extra party chat and more story...just make sure to bring Milly and Terry with the party...the other characters each offer unique, one-of-a-kind responses related to the character story events)

Game progression possibility 2: Area West of Wellshire and North of Somnia -> Mountain Pass -> Weaver's Peak? -> Mountain Pass -> Weaver's Peak -> Somnia...

Game progression possibility 3: Cave East of Amor -> Good luck with the Floor 1 puzzle! -> Floor 2 puzzle is easy with one of the two game hints -> Good luck with Floor 3 puzzle!  -> Whew, floor 4 has no puzzle, but holy wow, that's a high concentration of Dragon's who dish out critical hits...

Game progression possibility 4: Poseidon's Palace (goodies!) -> Gracos' Lair -> Sorceria -> Hint...Jar, Sand, and Ash -> Better have the Rug!...

OK, now I assume that all other game progression possibilities are done, as at this point the game becomes linear once again, until the end

...-> Castle Graceskull -> Castle Graceskull -> Castle Graceskull (finally, all items obtained) -> Equip Hero stuff...if confused, visit the place near Gandino and then go to the shrine NW of Gandino -> Terry is a dumbass -> Dhuran is pretty cool -> Cloudsgate Citadel...err, Zenithia!  Yay -> Pegasus' Tower...don't forget the check the well a second time for a special one-time battle -> Cloudsgate Citadel -> Uh...flying to another world -> Dear lord I feel awful, I think I'll check into the town up North, Despairia -> Spa Treatment from HELL! -> Dullerton -> Despairia -> Greedsmore Valley -> Cave in the back of town -> Greedsmore Valley -> Lake to the West -> Greedsmore Valley -> Cave under Lake to the West -> Well -> Gallow's Moor -> special jump to Morty's funhouse! -> Prison of Sorrow -> Morty's Magical Mansion...err, Funhouse...err, Dreadlair! -> Game beaten...clear save for post-game

Edited by ignasia7

Iggy, I am going to somewhat disagree with you here.

While a lot of the *storyline* is linear, it's still not so much a linear-feeling experience.  Plenty of times leave you with a, "Now what?" kind of feel.  Or there's a lot of little side areas to go to gather information that may or may not seem very pertinent (basically anytime you get a new mode of transportation).  And some of the navigation is just.. confusing... once you get them.

So maybe there's only one *story* place to go, the guidance isn't as straightforward.

While a lot of the *storyline* is linear, it's still not so much a linear-feeling experience.  Plenty of times leave you with a, "Now what?" kind of feel.  Or there's a lot of little side areas to go to gather information that may or may not seem very pertinent (basically anytime you get a new mode of transportation).  And some of the navigation is just.. confusing... once you get them.

So maybe there's only one *story* place to go, the guidance isn't as straightforward.

Oh, I agree.  What I'm trying to do, is alter the mindset.  It helps when you've an idea of what's where and have a better concept of where to go.

I should copy-paste what I wrote to AerynB about problems in DQ6's handling of "direction."

It definitely FEELS like it's open world and there's no direction when there is, and yet it isn't, which makes for a very confusing experience for most people.  For me, I'm not confused in the least bit, and wasn't from my first playthrough, but I definitely grasp why others are, and that the game sets the conditions to assure even diehard series fans and RPG fanatics can have so much trouble with this one game.  Including people who are familiar with the older versions of DQ2, prior to the improved mobile version.

While a lot of the *storyline* is linear, it's still not so much a linear-feeling experience. Plenty of times leave you with a, "Now what?" kind of feel. Or there's a lot of little side areas to go to gather information that may or may not seem very pertinent (basically anytime you get a new mode of transportation). And some of the navigation is just.. confusing... once you get them.

Here, here, sista.

It's a good game, like all DQ titles, but I couldn't help but compare it to DQIV and V, which it doesn't quite surpass.

• Upvote 1

I absolutely love DQVI, one of my top 5 DQ games (next to DQVII, DQV, DQIII and DQIX), and have felt that way the little I played of the SFC release (up until they announced the Zenithia Trilogy DS for the west) and the DS remake.

Feels very DQ to me, plus I love the cast.

I also like the fact the game makes you figure out where you have to go and what to do, I'm always talking to NPCs constantly in games anyways and exploring, and DQVI is just a blast.

Definitely surpasses DQIV for me, and in some cases DQV.

But keep in mind I loved DQII NES, so I'm a bit weird.

Edited by Tiael

I absolutely love DQVI, one of my top 5 DQ games (next to DQVII, DQV, DQIII and DQIX), and have felt that way the little I played of the SFC release (up until they announced the Zenithia Trilogy DS for the west) and the DS remake.

I also like the fact the game makes you figure out where you have to go and what to do, I'm always talking to NPCs constantly in games anyways and exploring, and DQVI is just a blast.

Weirdo...

I love Dragon Quest VI. It is the most 'open' feeling - by far - of the whole series (with the black sheep but highly entertaining DQ2 running second place). I suppose the fact that I like actual open, non-linear RPGs like Skyrim/Witcher 3/Pillars of Eternity/Divinity 3 (to name some great recent entries) contribute to my liking this style, but it's definitely unique in the Dragon Quest canon. And even though DQ6 is not actually non-linear to the extent those games are, the fact that it predates them (and the Infinity Engine games in general) by years is impressive.

Great game.

And Dragon Quest II is one of my least favorite of the series... but it's still awesome. Better than both DQ1 and DQ9 IMO.

Edited by Omegaplex

Weirdo...

I love Dragon Quest VI. It is the most 'open' feeling - by far - of the whole series (with the black sheep but highly entertaining DQ2 running second place). I suppose the fact that I like actual open, non-linear RPGs like Skyrim/Witcher 3/Pillars of Eternity/Divinity 3 (to name some great recent entries) contribute to my liking this style, but it's definitely unique in the Dragon Quest canon. And even though DQ6 is not actually non-linear to the extent those games are, the fact that it predates them (and the Infinity Engine games in general) by years is impressive.

Great game.

And Dragon Quest II is one of my least favorite of the series... but it's still awesome. Better than both DQ1 and DQ9 IMO.

Eh, the entire series is fantastic, personally speaking.

But it's also my favorite series with DQVII being my favorite DQ and game of all time.

DQVIII was in my top 5 until DQIX bumped it out, but I just had a lot of fun with DQIX, never a dull moment the 200+ hours I spent on it.

The original is always a classic too and worth a replay, just finished it recently on my iPad and now working on DQII, and it got the series started.

Anyways, onto DQVI, I'm one who had more fun with the World of Ruin aspect of FFVI more than the World of Balance, which may be why I am quite fond of DQVI.

Edited by Tiael
  • 1 month later...

I'm at the fifteen hour mark on the iOS version and I gotta admit that I am having a lot of fun with it.  I never played the SNES or DS versions much after beating Murdaw (was it Mudo on the SNES?) because I lost interest but the mobile version is keeping my attention.  I think I might actually see this one through until the end!

Outside DQ 1 and 2 I still find DQ 6 the weakest out of the series though.  Not saying it's a bad game but it certainly doesn't hit the heights of games like DQ 4, 5, or 8 for me.

• Upvote 1

I can understand why people might feel that DQ VI is their least favorite in the series, but that by no means it's a bad game. Even if it is my least favorite (unsure as of now), that doesn't mean it's a terrible game, it just means all the other games are amazing installments.

I can understand why people might feel that DQ VI is their least favorite in the series, but that by no means it's a bad game. Even if it is my least favorite (unsure as of now), that doesn't mean it's a terrible game, it just means all the other games are amazing installments.

The game is growing on me, very much in fact.  I got 29 hours on my save now and I think it's been utterly fantastic lol. :P

Still not my favorite DQ but it's a damn great one.  Still the weakest out of 4-6 (and honestly 7-9 as well).  The vocation system is like a better DQ 7 and I say that knowing that DQ 7's vocation system is just a beefier version of DQ 6's.  But DQ 7 had too many "filler" jobs whereas DQ 6 is more concise.  It's so much fun planning out your party's vocational progression.  It was awesome in DQ 7 as well but DQ 7 feels like a bit too much (and not just the vocations but everything really).

Playing through DQ 6 (and having a complete blast [for the most part at least; it still gets a bit confusing with the "Dream World" and "Real World" maps :P]) is really giving me an itch to play through Dragon Warrior 7 again.  I hope we hear something regarding the 3DS version soon or I'll be busting out the PS1 copy.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The game is growing on me, very much in fact.  I got 29 hours on my save now and I think it's been utterly fantastic lol. :P

Yay! Haha, it IS an awesome game!! Glad you're starting to feel it! I think it's a fantastic game - lengthy, great world(s), fun characters, good class system... Yep, it's a keeper!

Trying playing the SFC version sometime. It's atmosphere is quite different. Very special.

The DS version is good too, to be sure. It just lost some of the feel of the original.

Trying playing the SFC version sometime. It's atmosphere is quite different. Very special.

The DS version is good too, to be sure. It just lost some of the feel of the original.

How exactly is it different? I've only played the DS versions of the Zenithian Trilogy.

How exactly is it different? I've only played the DS versions of the Zenithian Trilogy.

The SFC versions have fan-translated patches.

The SFC versions have fan-translated patches.

Well I knew that. I thought he was referring to the aesthetics or the graphics style, but I guess I was missing the obvious.

I am talking about the aesthetics. The SFC version had this darker look to it, it's hard to put it into words but if you play it you'll be able to tell.

Also the music of the SFC version was better, but that will happen when Hitoshi Sakimoto is doing the music. (he reinterpreted Sugiyama's work into what you hear in game)

I haven't played it much this past week or two because we have had a lot going on (wife had surgery, we moved, my nephew was visiting). I got 37 hours and I about to do the final dungeon.

It's a great game. Still my least favorite of 4-6 but I think it's better than 1-3 and 9. All are fantastic though.

I am talking about the aesthetics. The SFC version had this darker look to it, it's hard to put it into words but if you play it you'll be able to tell.

Also the music of the SFC version was better, but that will happen when Hitoshi Sakimoto is doing the music. (he reinterpreted Sugiyama's work into what you hear in game)

How is the music different? It's the same compositions right?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk