VII, VIII 3ds being localized, says Horii

I don't know anything about that publisher...

Question though. There was an issue with manga publishers basically owning the stuff the published allowing them to make changes without the author. This either fell through or was never passed. Wouldn't this be the same in the VG world? In the sense the the publisher doesn't own it. If that is true than couldn't Hori just take it and run if he wanted?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really, Mario?  We finally get what all of the posters here have been wanting and you call us whiners?  I kind of thought we were all of the same mindset. 

I wouldn't want to talk to Destructoid either.

A free mobile app game that's fun?  Pretty solid way to generate free buzz for DQ on mobile, and DQ in general.  One thing about American mobile mentality...cheap and free up-front = everything.  Now

No NISA, please...

XSEED or Atlus yes!

NISA localizes all of their stuff.  We'd be guaranteed any and every Dragon Quest spinoff and main title if they handled it.

That's because they have a niche they can safely market to and get a return. Square Enix would need bigger successes in order for that to happen.

Since Monster Hunter was mentioned earlier,... it's one of my favorite series, so I've been watching it's growth in North America, and let me tell you, Capcom put WORK into making it big here. Yeah I know we all like to hate on Capcom but if there's one thing they did right it was promotion for the MH series since Monster Hunter Tri G/3 Ultimate. And the result? MH4G was a success for them in North America.

If Square Enix put that work into Dragon Quest, I think the 3DS games could be successful for them, too. The audience is there.

No. 

Horii himself doesn't have the money to do so. Doing a full-out localization of a text-heavy game like DQ7 requires teams of people, and while I'm sure Horii can retire well when he wants to, he sure can't pay 20+ salaries.

He also has contracts and such with SE. He -has- to.

Notice Keiji Inafune or whatever his name is. He wanted Megaman back to do what he wanted to do with, but he couldn't use the original IP, which he essentially sold the rights to to Crapcom.

Now we have Mighty No 9.

So if Horii -really- wants us to get DQ titles (( And with us having access to DQ1-6 and 8 now on billions of devices, instead of Megaman being treated like he got kicked in the dick )), he'd have to do the same thing.

Spiritual successor.

So... nope!

This is why I hate the whole "HORII SAID WE'RE GETTING 7 YAYAYAYAYYY"! air. I'm sorry, but that is a producer saying "Oh yeah, I'd LOVE ya'll to get it.". Hell, his translators AND the SE staff afterward didn't really say much afterward, and we have yet to get any kind of confirmation.

So yeah, our buddy, Horii, jumped the shark. And he lost a leg.

Right now? We're getting DQ Heroes. And I'd bet good money it's Omega Force doing all these advertisements, or at least fronting them. We have never had tweets about DQ before.

So. Omega Force, a successful developer with money in the bank (( Musou makes money. )), came to SE. They went all "Hey, we did good with Hyrule Warriors, let us mess with DQ." SE saw money signs for JP, said "Sure.". Omega Force makes DQH. Sells it. Then they want to localize it. SE suprisingly agrees, likely because Omega Force wants to PAY for the Localization.

Keep in mind it didn't exactly have a lot of E3 coverage either. 

So DQH is -all- Omega Force. I just hope it sells enough to make SE realize that at least a port of DQ7 PSX to mobile and PSN is worthwhile here.

This is why I hate the whole "HORII SAID WE'RE GETTING 7 YAYAYAYAYYY"! air. I'm sorry, but that is a producer saying "Oh yeah, I'd LOVE ya'll to get it.". Hell, his translators AND the SE staff afterward didn't really say much afterward, and we have yet to get any kind of confirmation.

So yeah, our buddy, Horii, jumped the shark. And he lost a leg.

You don't know that more than anyone else knows if he was being truthful, though. I'm generally pessimistic, but there has been a lot to point to a possible localization of DQ7.

Could he have been caught up in the moment and said something not accurate? Sure.

But don't take the the silence of an official announcement as confirmation that he was wrong. Of course they aren't going to be happy about or officially sponsor an announcement made before it was actually time for it.

Right now, we have evidence going both ways. Honestly I'm happy to see the fanbase hopeful again a few dark years. I'm hoping for the best, myself.

Dude, Horii is the creator. I'm sure he of all people would know if it's coming or not. If he says it, I believe it.

There are all sorts of things wrong with Matt's post there, but I see where he's coming from. It just sounds like a lot of assumptions without any research. The biggest thing I'll point out is that Armor Project owns the Dragon Quest IP. Armor Project is Horii's company. Square Enix has a publishing contract with Armor Project. The only game they have more rights to is Dragon Quest X, which was developed in-house by Square Enix rather than outsourced to Arte Piazza, Level 5, Chunsoft, etc. But even then, Armor Project still owns Dragon Quest X, Square Enix just owns the code, servers, and publishing rights. If Horii/Armor Project wanted to remake X, they could have another developer re-code it from scratch (like they had Arte Piazza remake the Zenithian trilogy on DS when the originals were developed by Chunsoft/Heart Beat[?]) and rerelease it.

Technically Horii/Armor Project could terminate their contract(s) with Square Enix and self-publish or switch to another publisher. I'm not sure how, or what legal repercussions would follow, but Armor Project could revoke the publishing rights. Or buy them back. But why? Unless Horii gets extremely upset about SE's lack of ability to handle the series outside of Japan, there's no reason to. Square Enix is a good thing for Dragon Quest in Japan. It's a mutually supportive relationship.

I'll end my post by saying that much of my thoughts in this subject are speculation, but they're based on things I've actually read, rather than jumping to conclusions. No, I have not contacted Square Enix, Armor Project, or Horii himself to confirm all the details. But I've read about these things enough that I'm confident in my findings.

• Upvote 2

^ agreed. This whole conversation y'all have been having is based on the assumption that Dragon Quest's lack of representation outside it's home country is a mountain he's willing to die on. Which I'm sure it's not. I'm sure he cares about as much as any manga author who found out a work of his/hers is being published in America. "Hey, that's cool. No, I'll sign off on that art censorship." *resumes drawing to meet deadline.

• Upvote 1

If DQ releases really require no effort, we'd have DQ7 3ds and the monsters remakes. And slime 3.

Now we have Mighty No 9.

Unfortunately...

Although we don't actually have it yet. He needed a 42nd Kickstarter in the guise of a PROLOGUE for some game that's just Megaman Legends 2.0.

I just hope it sells enough to make SE realize that at least a port of DQ7 PSX to mobile and PSN is worthwhile here.

Except Dragon Warrior translations can't be used anymore for both consistency and legal reasons.

And really, who wants an inferior port of a game people can already play on their phones/etc?

Square Enix is a good thing for Dragon Quest in Japan. It's a mutually supportive relationship.

It hasn't been mutually beneficial for both parties for a long, long time.

It's been parasitic for a REALLY long time though. DQ is the only thing that's reliable and turns a profit for SE. It's an established brand name. People buy Dragon Quest. They aren't buying Square Enix. DQ releases with the sole exception of DQX require no effort on SE's part.

You did~

The whole thing with DQ in general is why I can't handle this and I'm forever pessimistic about it all.

Somewhat unrelated.

Horii tweeted about Iwata on his twitter and mentioned this. https://twitter.com/YujiHorii/status/620495404816203776

"It was Mr. Iwata was responsible for the localized for the North American version of Dragon Quest program is not well known."

This is also translated with Google/Bing so it might not be exactly correct.

Edited by Safushi

Referring to this and the partnership for DQIX, probably.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/11/iwatas-quest-help-sell-dragon-quest-ix/

"At Nintendo, we were able to popularize the Brain Age series overseas, which was said to be unmarketable," the Nintendo boss told the assembled press after yesterday's Square Enix conference. "I want to increase the number of people worldwide that understand the appeal of Dragon Quest."

Iwata added that he is keen to "form a strong tag team" with Square Enix to achieve this, and mentioned that he was looking forward to working with the publisher and Dragon Quest creator Yuji Horii. Does this mean Nintendo is definitely going to be pouring some of its own resources into pushing DQIX outside Japan? It's not official, but we can't think of many better partners to help sell your game than Nintendo! Make the jump for Iwata's full comment.

%Gallery-15248%
"With the release of Dragon Quest IX, there are two things I'd like to make reality. The first is to build a thriving Japanese game market together with Dragon Quest that rivals the West's. The second is to form a strong tag team to promote Dragon Quest overseas. At Nintendo, we were able to popularize the Brain Age series overseas, which was said to be unmarketable. I want to increase the number of people worldwide that understand the appeal of Dragon Quest, which represents all Japanese gaming culture ... even if that only turns out to be a single person. I'm looking forward to working together with Mr. Horii and Square Enix."

That works too, either way Iwata was fundemental in getting DQ to the west, whether that's the original Dragon Warrior, Dragon Quest IX or other titles.

Edited by Tiael

That works too, either way Iwata was fundemental in getting DQ to the west, whether that's the original Dragon Warrior, Dragon Quest IX or other titles.

Unfortunately he likely won't be fundamental in much else considering he's now dead.

That was a little blunt and uncalled for.

I am well aware of that fact, there's a lot of people Iwata affected, whether through various Nintendo games, Dragon Quest or seeing him shine at conferences, Nintendo Directs with his bananas or other avenues.

He was a gamer and developer first and foremost and the world is far worse off without him.

I'll be curious what direction Nintendo goes in from here on out. Not to rush things by any means, but with Iwata's sudden passing it makes me wonder about the future.

The nicest thing I've seen regarding Iwata's passing was a message/letter written by Shigesato Itoi (creator of Mother/Earthbound). I'll have to find the link for it, but it's really a touching message and shows how much respect Itoi had for Iwata and what good of friends they were.

Here's the message curtesy of Earthbound Central.

http://earthboundcentral.com/2015/07/satoru-iwata-passes-away/#comments

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

Iwata was one of the main ones that had EB come here, wasn't he?

He will be missed. It'd be much better if beancounters passed.

I'm only going to say this related to Iwata's passing.

You really have no idea how, when, or where, but we're all heading down the same road.  I've lost a few family members and friends along the way, and although I may be in my mid thirties I feel like I have lived a lot longer.  Taking care of my dad's affairs and dealing with my own personal problems, I find myself using my art and music as a means of coping with it all.  I've really come to appreciate every day I live and wake up in the morning and that my dad is still living.  I count my blessings everyday because you just never know when your time will come.  Iwata made many people happy and that alone makes him among the wealthiest men, hopefully his family will be able to cope with his passing.

As I watch the world turn and change I feel time speed up and the hours go like minutes and the days go like hours.  It seems as we age our perception of time just speeds up so rapidly.  I guess my message out of all of this thinking out-loud is that you should appreciate your family and your close friends and treat them like gold because I believe no matter what you believe religion wise, the love you establish with the people around you is the only thing you will take with you wherever it is we go when we pass.

• Upvote 2

It's amazing everyday I go out and just see the pettiness that goes on in the world.  In the end, none of this will matter...we're all going on a journey to death as dark is it may sound.  We can either make that journey a pleasant one or we can make it a horrible and miserable experience.  My mother always told me growing up that life is about the choices you make such as smoking which leads down to a path of lung cancer.  There are tons of forks in the road we travel down everyday and it's hard to wrap your head around.  Change is one aspect of life that we must all accept for better or worse, nothing ever stays the same.  To me...relationships besides doing the menial tasks of living, are the most important things in life. 

I don't know what religion Iwata was, maybe Shinto?  I'm sure he had many people who love him so even though his life candle blew out sooner, I believe he probably has no regrets.

Edited by Madrigal

Iwata was one of the main ones that had EB come here, wasn't he?

He will be missed. It'd be much better if beancounters passed.

Not only that, but actually saved the project in general.  Mother 2 faced some significant development trouble.  Iwata was brought in to save the project.  He single-handedly re-wrote the game's code from the ground up in 6 months.

He was also the main programmer for Mother 3 N64... but that of course fell through.  Apparently due to how obtuse the 64DD was.

And he also personally programmed the website for Itoi's company, Hobonichi Shimbun.

They were extremely close friends.