VII, VIII 3ds being localized, says Horii

I know an EU release would still be region-locked and NA people couldn't play it.  My argument is based solely on "it won't be French-only".  Also, many European countries such as England, France, Sweden, etc. are considered part of the Western world.  That's why "Bring Dragon Quest to the West" is a nice, all-encompassing slogan to use.  It includes both NA and EU.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really, Mario?  We finally get what all of the posters here have been wanting and you call us whiners?  I kind of thought we were all of the same mindset. 

I wouldn't want to talk to Destructoid either.

A free mobile app game that's fun?  Pretty solid way to generate free buzz for DQ on mobile, and DQ in general.  One thing about American mobile mentality...cheap and free up-front = everything.  Now

I know an EU release would still be region-locked and NA people couldn't play it.  My argument is based solely on "it won't be French-only".  Also, many European countries such as England, France, Sweden, etc. are considered part of the Western world.  That's why "Bring Dragon Quest to the West" is a nice, all-encompassing slogan to use.  It includes both NA and EU.

And if they are doing a European release, they are also localization it in english thus US release will also happen.

• Upvote 1

Yeah Europe is considered the west.For Example The West=The US,Canada,Latin America,and Europe. The East=Asia though in the gaming's case usually East Asia or mostly just Japan.

I don't see any reason for it to be only localized in French and not English especially with Square gripping over the cost translating VII again,since having a full on NA and EU release seems more likely to make back more of that money and probably make a profit.Not only that but translating the game to French would make translating into English easier since its a lot easier to go from French to English than Japanese to English.

The French only thing is still being talked about? Pffft! You guys crack me up.

Given the game is fully translated into English...and that statement isn't that cryptic at all. Yeah, I think we're seeing the opening bell for a ring announcement. Given he's toying with the phone...Super Light.

You know, something bugged me when I first saw that image and (stupid sign)MonsterMondays. I think you might have nailed it on the head there. I think it's too much to think they'd put that much thought into it, but I hope so!

A free mobile app game that's fun?  Pretty solid way to generate free buzz for DQ on mobile, and DQ in general.  One thing about American mobile mentality...cheap and free up-front = everything.  Now if it is released, it just needs a Pewdiepie video, and bam, 100,000,000 uploads.

• Upvote 3

There's no chance in Alefgard that this massive game script would be translated into French of all languages, meanwhile the most widely spoken language in the world doesn't make the cut.  Square Enix would actually have to have slime for brains if they pulled that one.

• Upvote 1

I like how the Facebook comments are pushing for the 3DS localization too. Will add my own comment.

Maybe guys we should focus on Dragon Quest 8 for 3DS now? I know some people don't like it for various reasons, but it is the ultimate edition of the game and I want to claw Slim Puddings with Morrie.

Dragon Quest 7 can go to mobile, while the new Dragon Quest 8 goes to 3DS. I think that would make everyone happy, well most people. :)

I like how the Facebook comments are pushing for the 3DS localization too. Will add my own comment.

Maybe guys we should focus on Dragon Quest 8 for 3DS now? I know some people don't like it for various reasons, but it is the ultimate edition of the game and I want to claw Slim Puddings with Morrie.

Dragon Quest 7 can go to mobile, while the new Dragon Quest 8 goes to 3DS. I think that would make everyone happy, well most people. :)

How about NO. Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Maybe guys we should focus on Dragon Quest 8 for 3DS now? I know some people don't like it for various reasons, but it is the ultimate edition of the game and I want to claw Slim Puddings with Morrie.

How about NO.

We've already gotten DQ8 in two different forms. Granted the new material in DQ8 would be nice, but we should push for DQ7. It was a great game at heart that was under utilized due to the age of the platform and technology is was being released on. We all should be clamoring to see a fully realized and rejuvenated version of a great game that has the potential to be a FANTASTIC game!

Most people have smart phones nowadays. It makes sense they would target that market for DQ7.

I am saying if we have to choose which 3DS game to push for, better to push for the new one that hasn't been released yet, has a mostly complete localization in English already and may still be announced.

People are so obsessed with this DQ7 pipedream they refuse to fight for DQ8, and more often than not just nitpick without doing anything.

DQ8 needs more love, if the fanbase won't fight for it then no one will.

Edited by En Garde

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE DQ8. It's my second favorite DQ game. And I'm super glad that we will hopefully most likely be getting it on 3DS. But we've already seen what an amazing game DQ8 is. For a PS2 game that came out 10 years ago, it still holds up.

DQ7 was a great game in terms of story and game play, but the look of it made it seem like a glorified SNES game. With the epic scale of its story and events, we deserve to see what a glorious game it had the potential to be.

Edited by hawkeye77o4

How about NO.

We've already gotten DQ8 in two different forms. Granted the new material in DQ8 would be nice, but we should push for DQ7. It was a great game at heart that was under utilized due to the age of the platform and technology is was being released on. We all should be clamoring to see a fully realized and rejuvenated version of a great game that has the potential to be a FANTASTIC game!

It's already a fantastic game in my eye, and the 3DS remake just sounds even better from what I've read and seen on it.

And needs more Maribel in my life.

There's a reason Dragon Warrior VII is my favorite DQ and also my favorite game of all time, just an amazing experience from start to finish.

It's already a fantastic game in my eye, and the 3DS remake just sounds even better from what I've read and seen on it.

There's a reason Dragon Warrior VII is my favorite DQ and also my favorite game of all time, just an amazing experience from start to finish.

Totally agree.

Another reason it shouldn't be released on mobile (only) is because they've said repeatedly that DQ games are very text heavy and they want to make sure they make their money back. And DQ7 is the heaviest of them all. Why spend so much time, effort, and money to release on mobile and not be able to charge nearly enough that they could on a 3DS release. From a business stand point, it makes no sense to spend all that money and not release on 3DS. Better chance of making their money back.

Edited by hawkeye77o4

Totally agree.

Another reason it shouldn't be released on mobile (only) is because they've said repeatedly that DQ games are very text heavy and they want to make sure they make their money back. And DQ7 is the heaviest of them all. Why spend so much time, effort, and money to release on mobile and not be able to charge nearly enough that they could on a 3DS release. From a business stand point, it makes no sense to spend all that money and not release on 3DS. Better chance of making their money back.

That's why I've always said we're either going to get the 3DS version, both versions, or no versions as opposed to mobile only.

And localizing it into multiple languages with how text heavy the game is, I don't think they would recoup their costs selling it for $19.99 or w/e on mobile only.

Most people have smart phones nowadays. It makes sense they would target that market for DQ7.

I am saying if we have to choose which 3DS game to push for, better to push for the new one that hasn't been released yet, has a mostly complete localization in English already and may still be announced.

People are so obsessed with this DQ7 pipedream they refuse to fight for DQ8, and more often than not just nitpick without doing anything.

DQ8 needs more love, if the fanbase won't fight for it then no one will.

Why push for just one when you can push for multiple?  It doesn't hurt to push for as many as you wish to in the same emails, fb posts...etc.

Heck, 100% of all FB posts asking about DQ's not released, mention 7.  Almost 90% of those mention 8.

It's getting plenty of love, as it should.

Most people have smart phones nowadays. It makes sense they would target that market for DQ7.

Just because more people have smartphones doesn't mean those people play games on them. The sales for the mobile ports are substantially lower then the sales for any console/handheld release.

There's no reason to keep it exclusive either.  At least not "forever" exclusive.  Not releasing the mobile port is just leaving money on the table.  But at the same time a $39.99 iOS/Android version won't sell.

Release it on the 3DS for forty bucks and then a year later make a $15-20 mobile port.

• Upvote 1

There's no reason to keep it exclusive either. At least not "forever" exclusive. Not releasing the mobile port is just leaving money on the table. But at the same time a $39.99 iOS/Android version won't sell.

Release it on the 3DS for forty bucks and then a year later make a $15-20 mobile port.

This is what I meant by my "How about NO," post from before. If 8 can be on mobile and get an updated 3DS version, then why not just do the same with 7 in terms of an English release? Bring the 3DS version first, then release the mobile version later on down the line instead of "we only get the mobile version of 7." THAT is why I said no before. Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Why push for just one when you can push for multiple?  It doesn't hurt to push for as many as you wish to in the same emails, fb posts...etc.

I'm not opposed to that, but look at where the focus is right now: DQ7 Quest for the West is still the campaign I believe is being run with nothing comparable for DQ8 at this critical juncture. There is an attitude of "We already got a better DQ8 port 10 years ago" in topics about it when this isn't the same version of the game. But a DQ7 port is seen as a somewhat bad thing if it doesn't come to 3DS. Because people like their 3DS and want to play on it.

I guess we all have our preferences, but enthusiasm for DQ8 just strikes me as much less than DQ7 whenever people talk about it.

Hmm..  I guess that's unsurprising considering they weren't prepared when Horii initially opened his big, fat, awesome mouth.  An acknowledgement would have been great, but I think they have a set plan on when they want to announce things.  I'd say this is a "no news is good news" type of thing.

That's hilarious. Way to go Yuji Horii!

So basically its happening then. 

I have my reasons for being happy about both coming.

VIII - Because it is my favorite and there is added content, and exactly how much is yet to be determined.

VII - Because it too has added content according to other users on here, and it looks so much nicer compared to its predecessor; also, I actually haven't played it yet.