VII, VIII 3ds being localized, says Horii

You know, people say that SE likes to troll their fans and I always thought that was a little silly (even though I've said it in a semi-joking manner).  I'm starting to believe now, though.  If this isn't trolling, I don't know what is.

I'll shorten the above...this is based on a Polygon translation, of an e3 interview.  This is all being "late to the party", and oops...sorry, we're bringing this out now.

If any involvement is from SE, it's likely to request this type of news to come out now, despite it being a continuation of what they said at e3.  The idea being to downplay Horii's statement on purpose.

Consider the implications of that...

Horii's statements are verified...the fans are happy, but if they're not ready to release or promote it, and their resources are focused on other media and releases, it's likely to backfire, as they aren't sure where to go.

Horii's statements aren't verified by SE...indicating it's not greenlighted.  When the announcement does happen, it carries more weight, and will likely get more press.

---

Bear in mind all the press coverage surrounding Horii's statement, and the number of verifications from several press groups, many of whom are known to be solid and reliable journalists.  Bear in mind that many indicate Horii's reaction was to smile like a little boy, a big grin.  This seems ridiculous to just make up.  Bear in mind that Aomi's usage of the word "yet" in terms of the announcement, is more indicative that it's a planned announcement and SE isn't ready, and fits better with the descriptions of Horii's childishly gleeful reaction after making the statement.  Meaning the money's on the game being in progress, not being ready yet, or SE not being ready for an announcement.

SE has already proven that negative press and their reactions...of keeping DQ, ESPECIALLY DQ7 in the press, and with all these wishy-washy denials, gets players up in arms, and causes us to react and further the demand.  This furthering the demand gets more attention.  More people who aren't DQ fans have actually posted on several of SE's blogs that they're interested in the games now, because of all the fervor.  Others have intimated this on twitter and SE's main facebook, along with commentary in several articles covering SE and the lack of 3DS games, most especially 7.  Sure, it's not a LOT of new people to DQ, but the fact that it IS gaining attention is undoubtedly noticed, especially given SE has more than hinted at just how aware it is of the various fan campaigns.

Now, I actually like this, because it's getting us energized, and for a company who is so unwilling to release DQ7 3DS...they seem to never shut up about it.  Have you ever seen a company who wasn't planning to release something, talk about it?  Nope.  They don't. I've pointed this out before.  It's a historical fact.  They're just keeping the negative campaign rolling as long as they can until they're prepared.

Why?  Free advertising.

Think about it.  Horii just did the company and fans the biggest favour in the world.  He really did reveal the inside track.  His behaviour confirms it.  However, the coverage, and phraseology still leaves the door open...wide.  With SE now playing the...oh well, we want to, card, it causes more angst, drives more press in DEMAND for the game, and drives demand UP.  You might be tired, but it has worked.  The problem is there's a stopgap to this, as people do get tired of the same ol' story.  We're already witnessing it.  Yourself and others are feeling it.  Hell, I'm feeling it.

Yet, even with the dead horse element, the game, upon release, upon the official announcement, will get about 100x more press and attention than if they simply acknowledged Horii as being correct, because if they did, and they aren't prepared, they'd have nothing for months.  Just screen shots and no direction in where to take it.  That's a danger, because then they'd have to hope that writers and editors of gaming publications will remain interested.  Afterall, it's not like we're witnessing new screenshots.  Now THAT would drive press on its own, but if they're not new screen shots, and they're screens of a game that already had those screens in Japanese, and most of the elements present were already known and accounted for...there's no inherent surprise, thus it's likely to die out in a puff of smoke before the real campaign can begin.

If they keep us baited and waiting for it, and demanding it, and getting tired of all the ...is it coming or isn't it...we'll eat it the fudge up when it comes out.  It will not just smoke and die out, it will halt the presses and catch fire.  I mean $#!&, this is brilliant.  Genius in fact.  You want a DQ to sell 1m copies in the US?  Or at least have the potential?  Dare I say more?  Dare I say MUCH more, like 2m?  Maybe even 3m given people who own a 3DS are starved for Japanese games, and RPG's are now on high demand, and growing in demand.  It's actually the beginnings of a potential JRPG revival.  Even Reggie sees this and smells the blood in the water.  This, especially in light of FF7.  You don't get more Japanese in your RPG, than FF bloody 7.

So, with this in mind, I'm saying get angry.  Get peeved instead of tired.  Campaign like we're about to break through the dam and it's the last hour.  Get excited that there is an actual chance, because let's not be trolls and small goblins and forget one little thing:

Yuji BLOODY Horii just stated, with a big grin, DQ7 and 8 going westward.  Whether he meant he WANTs them to or that they are is bloody irrelevant.

Sorry Excitemike...but that's not just a "contracted employee," that's the bloody goose that lays golden bloody eggs and keeps SE alive and kicking.  At the worst, it means one thing: we really have a chance to see these released, and see a real announcement.  So let's get off our lazy asses and do something about it.  Get pumped damnit.  Where's your damn spirit.  Fudge all the negative BS you've got running in your heads, because it IS indeed in your heads.  It's all mindset.  This should be thought of as our last stand, before the dawn, and the enemy is almost broken in two, and if we just give it one last go, we've broken through the gates and stormed the bloody citadel.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really, Mario?  We finally get what all of the posters here have been wanting and you call us whiners?  I kind of thought we were all of the same mindset. 

I wouldn't want to talk to Destructoid either.

A free mobile app game that's fun?  Pretty solid way to generate free buzz for DQ on mobile, and DQ in general.  One thing about American mobile mentality...cheap and free up-front = everything.  Now

Believe me, I know Horii's statement is a big deal.  It has made me go from being a non-believer to a believer (If there are only two extremes in this scenario; I'm still at 80% on Platty's percentage scale).  But, as you said, I am tired; very tired.  I'm at the point where the only thing I want to hear is something definite.  I want to know that I'm going to be playing a new DQ game on my 3ds in 6 months, or a year, or sometime in the future.  I feel like I'm being rubbed raw with these wishy-washy announcements.

Edited by Griever

Yeah, I feel ya man.

I'm just trying to spur a revolution of sorts.  Get the drums of war beating, so to speak.

• Upvote 1

The drums are broken.

LOL, yeah, I'm trying.

Once gooie can finish his stuff.  I'm guessing, from his last post in his topic in the campaign section...whenever Woodus gets back from vacation, I'm going to post the heck out of that.  Link to it with every post on SE's facebook.  Send emails with the content over youtube.  If I can log into twitter, I'll tweet it out (not many followers, but any attention helps).  Then send a few emails.

After that, I think I'm done, LOL.  I'm getting a little tired myself, hehehe, at least in terms of campaigning.  I'd rather focus on getting what I need out of the way so I can focus on my DQ7 FAQs.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I feel ya man.

I'm just trying to spur a revolution of sorts. Get the drums of war beating, so to speak.

Doubling our attack power?

Don't mention that item... :( I cry every time I play a DQ game since finishing DQ5 and I have to use Oomph/TwinHits.

War Drum... best item ever. :(

Gritty Ditty is the return of the War Drum ;).

Yeah, I feel ya man.

I'm just trying to spur a revolution of sorts. Get the drums of war beating, so to speak.

Doubling our attack power?

But of course!

I'd add in some crit boosting power, but I think you need to overdrive, limit break or something...oh wait, I got it, dress up as a Fighter!

Didn't he say that he just wants it to come to the US, and that it's being French-localized?

This is why I'm pessimistic. :|

Didn't he say that he just wants it to come to the US, and that it's being French-localized?

Its not going to be french only.   And that was a famitsu translation take on what was said. I wouldn't trust anything famitsu says.

Edited by sounderfan84

Sacre bleu!

Earlier in the day he apparently talked about how he knew there was interest in the west.

At the end of the events, he apparently flat out said it was coming out. His translator / handler from SE was pissed. This was witnessed by multiple people and confirmed by calls to SE EU.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Earlier in the day he apparently talked about how he knew there was interest in the west.

At the end of the events, he apparently flat out said it was coming out. His translator / handler from SE was pissed. This was witnessed by multiple people and confirmed by calls to SE EU.

You're going to have to share a link or something because I'm not seeing any of that anywhere.

Did anyone take a video of his speech? I'd love to see it and see everyone's reactions.

I don't understand why they could localize it in French and skip the rest of the western markets. It wouldn't make much sense.

I think SE is trying to grow the brand outside Japan. I mean the mobile games, the various PlayStation games in the pipeline, and strongly hinting that DQ 7 and 8 3DS are being worked on? That's a lot of activity going on, especially after an extended period of nothing at all happening. Looks to me that maybe Square-Enix finally got their crap together.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand why they could localize it in French and skip the rest of the western markets. It wouldn't make much sense.

I think SE is trying to grow the brand outside Japan. I mean the mobile games, the various PlayStation games in the pipeline, and strongly hinting that DQ 7 and 8 3DS are being worked on? That's a lot of activity going on, especially after an extended period of nothing at all happening. Looks to me that maybe Square-Enix finally got their crap together.

Depends on how they market it.

Damn, Yuji Horii just does what he wants without Square Enix having a say.  I like how he confirmed DQXI and the localization of DQVII.  And in regards to him self publishing, the guy should really just split from SE, grab Toriyama and go to Kickstarter to make a Dragon Quest spiritual successor.

Given the game is fully translated into English...and that statement isn't that cryptic at all.  Yeah, I think we're seeing the opening bell for a ring announcement.  Given he's toying with the phone...Super Light.

• Upvote 1

Why would SE only release a French localization? That really doesn't make any sense whatsoever. What makes you think this makes sense?

I've said it before; I'll say it again.  If DQ7 or 8 are released in French only, I'll eat my mouse and keyboard and post pics.  As others have stated:  we are more likely to not get it at all than we are to only get it in French.

I've said it before; I'll say it again.  If DQ7 or 8 are released in French only, I'll eat my mouse and keyboard and post pics.  As others have stated:  we are more likely to not get it at all than we are to only get it in French.

I doubt it'll be french only for one thing.  Will they turn a profit off the game with cost it took to translate just in french?  I say no.

Edited by sounderfan84

Why would SE only release a French localization? That really doesn't make any sense whatsoever. What makes you think this makes sense?

Maybe it's more popular in French-speaking regions?

You guys know that whoever decides to localize it in French isn't attatched to the people who localize games for our region right? There's no requirement to localize it just because a non-Asian language is doing so.

I know that there is no requirement and that it technically *could* happen.  It's just extremely unlikely.  Now, it could possibly see an EU-only release (still unlikely), but that would still include English.

Yes, let's release a game in French speaking regions only. Make very little money from it. That'll show the Americans! - SE