What do you think the translations will be...

Dragon Quest VIII will be pretty easy to figure out, except for new weapons, and of course, the new dungeon and boss!  I mean damn, that is sickeningly sweet.  I think I'm actually going to cry, LOL.  Yep, I am.  LOL, L. O.  Bloody L.  Yeah, I'm laughing and bloody crying at the same time.  I'm actually shaking a bit too.  I mean wow.  7 and 8.  I think I want to scale Mt. Everest right now, then base jump off any ledge...yeah, that's about how I feel right now.

I $#!&ing love you guys right now.  The world seems to be going in the right direction.  This wind can't be stopped now.  Who knows, maybe if they do a damn good job, see 500k+...maybe even 1m+ sales for both, the monsters remakes are brought out.  Maybe even DQX?  I just know that I'm beyond a state of happiness for this day.  I feel like I can really just let loose, finish all my projects, get my life back in order, maybe take a few trips around the world...get married, kids...etc.  Yeah, I'm bathing in the sun right now, and it feels damn good.

Ahem...Anyway.

So, Dragon Quest VII has some obvious classes that we know will take the names of classes from 6 and 9, but there are a NUMBER of classes that are 7 specific.  As well as weapons.  So I thought why not debate what the names will be?

1) Bard

2) Mariner

3) Shepherd

4) Pirate

5) Godhand

6) Summoner

What about the special equipment?

1) Aquagon Sword

2) Oceano Sword

3) Fuego Helm

4) Tornado Shield

5) Gaiala Armor

6) The charms, Fire, Earth, Wind, Aqua

Dragon Quest VIII will be pretty easy to figure out, except for new weapons, and of course, the new dungeon and boss! I mean damn, that is sickeningly sweet. I think I'm actually going to cry, LOL. Yep, I am. LOL, L. O. Bloody L. Yeah, I'm laughing and bloody crying at the same time. I'm actually shaking a bit too. I mean wow. 7 and 8. I think I want to scale Mt. Everest right now, then base jump off any ledge...yeah, that's about how I feel right now.

I $#!&ing love you guys right now. The world seems to be going in the right direction. This wind can't be stopped now. Who knows, maybe if they do a damn good job, see 500k+...maybe even 1m+ sales for both, the monsters remakes are brought out. Maybe even DQX? I just know that I'm beyond a state of happiness for this day. I feel like I can really just let loose, finish all my projects, get my life back in order, maybe take a few trips around the world...get married, kids...etc. Yeah, I'm bathing in the sun right now, and it feels damn good.

Ahem...Anyway.

So, Dragon Quest VII has some obvious classes that we know will take the names of classes from 6 and 9, but there are a NUMBER of classes that are 7 specific. As well as weapons. So I thought why not debate what the names will be?

1) Bard

2) Mariner

3) Shepherd

4) Pirate

5) Godhand

6) Summoner

1) Aquagon Sword

2) Oceano Sword

3) Fuego Helm

4) Tornado Shield

5) Gaiala Armor

1) Barde

2 ) Mariner

3 ) Shepherd

4 ) Pirate

5 ) Godhand

6 ) Invocateur

Qu'en est-il de l'équipement spécial?

1 ) Aquagon Epée

2 ) Oceano Epée

3 ) Fuego Helm

4 ) Tornado Shield

5 ) Gaiala Armure

Can't wait to get my French language learning program in the mail!

Dragon Quest VIII will be pretty easy to figure out, except for new weapons, and of course, the new dungeon and boss! I mean damn, that is sickeningly sweet. I think I'm actually going to cry, LOL. Yep, I am. LOL, L. O. Bloody L. Yeah, I'm laughing and bloody crying at the same time. I'm actually shaking a bit too. I mean wow. 7 and 8. I think I want to scale Mt. Everest right now, then base jump off any ledge...yeah, that's about how I feel right now.

I $#!&ing love you guys right now. The world seems to be going in the right direction. This wind can't be stopped now. Who knows, maybe if they do a damn good job, see 500k+...maybe even 1m+ sales for both, the monsters remakes are brought out. Maybe even DQX? I just know that I'm beyond a state of happiness for this day. I feel like I can really just let loose, finish all my projects, get my life back in order, maybe take a few trips around the world...get married, kids...etc. Yeah, I'm bathing in the sun right now, and it feels damn good.

Ahem...Anyway.

So, Dragon Quest VII has some obvious classes that we know will take the names of classes from 6 and 9, but there are a NUMBER of classes that are 7 specific. As well as weapons. So I thought why not debate what the names will be?

1) Bard

2) Mariner

3) Shepherd

4) Pirate

5) Godhand

6) Summoner

1) Aquagon Sword

2) Oceano Sword

3) Fuego Helm

4) Tornado Shield

5) Gaiala Armor

1) Barde

2 ) Mariner

3 ) Shepherd

4 ) Pirate

5 ) Godhand

6 ) Invocateur

Qu'en est-il de l'équipement spécial?

1 ) Aquagon Epée

2 ) Oceano Epée

3 ) Fuego Helm

4 ) Tornado Shield

5 ) Gaiala Armure

Can't wait to get my French language learning program in the mail!

I'm taking that as a joke but seriously

it was at a french convention in paris. He wasn't going to say it in english that dq7 and 8 3ds are going out west.

• Upvote 1

If 6 is an indication, and the 1~3 retranslations are an indication, they've toned them down substantially.  All depends on who gets the translations: a group like 8-4, 8-4, or a group like Plus Alpha, or Plus Alpha themselves.

Plus Alpha and groups like them...heavy on the puns and accents.

8-4 and groups like them...light on the puns and accents.

Personally I like the puns, but too much can be a turn-off.  6 is done just right, so...if they pull if off like that, it should be far more appealing.

Anyway, this is my last  post for awhile, outside of FAQ, writing, and maybe a little BoF4 playthrough with updates.

I hope there are puns. That's part of why I like these games. Even those puns that make you cringe, such as Nun Of The Above. I also wouldn't mind the various accents.

• Upvote 1

I love how everyone hates on 4's DS translation. It always makes me laugh.

I don't mind the accents at all, but it's the puns that can kill things for me, specifically in 9.

Love me some puns, accents, alliterations, onomatopoeia.

Even playing the series since DW on NES I love the new localizations.

I say bring it on.

Love me some puns, accents, alliterations, onomatopoeia.

Even playing the series since DW on NES I love the new localizations.

I say bring it on.

Alliteration is always adored.

Puns and accents are the best. It gives each a game character. Creativity. Shows they cared about their work that they'd put the extra time and effort into it.

Like i said before, i like the voiced accents in DQ8, but reading those accents in text form is a bit hard and annoying. 

But what i really do not like is the puns and name changes. Remember how the DQ games of the late 90's to early 2000's was? they was just simply translated.

I will buy DQ8 for 3DS, but if DQ7 is destroyed by puns and stupid name changes, i would rather play the PS1 version.

Puns and accents are the best. It gives each a game character. Creativity. Shows they cared about their work that they'd put the extra time and effort into it.

Exactly. I mean, a straight translation is much easier. To make all the puns and relate them to place names and such takes much more time and planning. I like that they did it.

It will likely be Plus Alpha or Shloc. All of them worked with Honeywood on VIII.

8-4 hasn't indicated that they'll be back. Good.

Shloc is Oli Chance and Morgan Rushton. Both worked on VIII with Plus Alpha. Oli was their editor on IX and a couple other games. Along with Ni no Kuni, they did I-III and the party chat for IV.

I sent ten different dialogue suggestions to SE when they were working on translating 9, hoping that at least one of them would make it into the game, but no pun in ten did.

• Upvote 4

Like i said before, i like the voiced accents in DQ8, but reading those accents in text form is a bit hard and annoying.

Couldn't agree with you more.

I like the puns though.

I sent ten different dialogue suggestions to SE when they were working on translating 9, hoping that at least one of them would make it into the game, but no pun in ten did.

Nice one!

I don't think there'll be any translations until we get an OFFICIAL LOCALIZATION ANNOUNCEMENT.

Even the TRANSLATOR looked at Horii weird. Remember that.

• Upvote 1

I hated the accents in DQIV since they went so overboard with them. I couldn't even understand anyone half the time. Just make them talk with proper English and we can fill in the accents in our imaginations.

Edited by Sackchief
  • Upvote 1

Shloc is Oli Chance and Morgan Rushton. Both worked on VIII with Plus Alpha. Oli was their editor on IX and a couple other games. Along with Ni no Kuni, they did I-III and the party chat for IV.

Does this mean party chat for DQ4 was not originally translated during the DS era at all? And was only just recently done for the mobile release?

If it was translated only recently, it was amazingly consistent with the accents from the original DQ4 localization job back in 2008. I'd swear it was the same people AND from the same time! I always just assumed - after seeing the fantastic party chat in DQ4 mobile - that it was translated during the original localization but either mistake, lack of care, or costs (smaller cart, etc.) prevented them from using the party chat back in '08.

Also, 8-4 (part of Nintendo? Or is that Treehouse?) did large parts of DQ6, right? I thought that localization was perfectly sound, so wouldn't have a problem with their returning to the DQ fold.

Lastly, if it IS Plus Alpha that will do DQVII... as I recall they are a VERY small team. It would take them *years* to do this game. I would think Plus Alpha, Shloc, AND 8-4 working together would STILL take years. They'd have to get Square Enix's internal localization team on it, and having Treehouse help would speed things along. A team of 20 at Enix America still took a year!

Edited by Omegaplex