Dragon Quest VII and VIII 3D to west maybe?

Xseed is a tiny company and SE is a powerhouse that has been localizing RPGs for over 25 years.  I'm not saying it's not a huge job, but they've got the manpower and have certainly done many projects that are in the same ballpark.  I'm just getting tired of the back and forth.  If something isn't decided now, the 3ds will lose relevancy.

Horii wouldn't have made that comment he made last Saturday  if he feels like it was never going to happen at all.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is 100% nail on the head. He doesn't just drop something like that with a shrug and a whim in ignorance. He's Yuji-freaking-Horii-san. If he says it's coming in French, A) it is, and B) it's not

If i was SE i would do a combo pack of both 7 and 8 as a single release.  There isn't much that needs to be done for DQ8 3ds out west other than some translations and voice acting recording of the new

Remember that Horii holds a very unique position of power within the company. Anything and everything requires his stamp of approval, so he's your best source. Journalists, stop being dicks on Twitter

I'm pretty confident that it's happening. It clearly wasn't ready to be announced yet though lol.

Nintendo said E3 2015 would be for games releasing before next E3 (June 2016) so I never completely gave up on the possibility of DQ 7 releasing. If it happens it happens and if it doesn't then it doesn't. There's been plenty of DQ to go around lately so I'm content as it is.

Anything else is just bonus (but damn DQ 7&8 3DS would be a hell of a bonus). SE knows how badly the community wants DQ 7 and recent events (C&D letter and Horii's remarks) only reinforce that fact.

I'm pretty confident that it's happening. It clearly wasn't ready to be announced yet though lol.

Nintendo said E3 2015 would be for games releasing before next E3 (June 2016) so I never completely gave up on the possibility of DQ 7 releasing. If it happens it happens and if it doesn't then it doesn't. There's been plenty of DQ to go around lately so I'm content as it is.

Anything else is just bonus (but damn DQ 7&8 3DS would be a hell of a bonus). SE knows how badly the community wants DQ 7 and recent events (C&D letter and Horii's remarks) only reinforce that fact.

If i was SE i would do a combo pack of both 7 and 8 as a single release.  There isn't much that needs to be done for DQ8 3ds out west other than some translations and voice acting recording of the new stuff.

• Upvote 2

Alright guys, I have to go finish off my DQ6 and 3 FAQs, then tackle my DQ7 faqs...then the 4 and 5 I'm still owrking on....damn, so much work.  I can do it though!

Cheers, have fun battling it out, and debating...and whatnot, whether an English release is coming.  OH, it's coming, but you'll see soon enough.  OH, it IS coming though.

HAHAHAHAHA!

All those who did not believe...BELIEVE!  Yes, I pulled a Naruto, or maybe a Shu, for those who've played Blue Dragon...NEVER GIVE UP!  BELIEVE!

Ha! I loved Blue Dragon.... but I don't think most people did. It was kinda DQ-lite but with the monster designs and good world and combat system, it was comfortable enough that I got a DQ-ish vibe.

Technically an official announcement doesn't mean squat either. Y'all remember Dragon Warrior IV for the PlayStation? Yeah, me neither.

I'd have to say the circumstances of that particular debacle are a bit unique. I can't imagine SE would put themselves in that position again...

But hey, sure they could?

Alright guys, I have to go finish off my DQ6 and 3 FAQs, then tackle my DQ7 faqs...then the 4 and 5 I'm still owrking on....damn, so much work.  I can do it though!

Cheers, have fun battling it out, and debating...and whatnot, whether an English release is coming.  OH, it's coming, but you'll see soon enough.  OH, it IS coming though.

HAHAHAHAHA!

All those who did not believe...BELIEVE!  Yes, I pulled a Naruto, or maybe a Shu, for those who've played Blue Dragon...NEVER GIVE UP!  BELIEVE!

Ha! I loved Blue Dragon.... but I don't think most people did. It was kinda DQ-lite but with the monster designs and good world and combat system, it was comfortable enough that I got a DQ-ish vibe.

Technically an official announcement doesn't mean squat either. Y'all remember Dragon Warrior IV for the PlayStation? Yeah, me neither.

I'd have to say the circumstances of that particular debacle are a bit unique. I can't imagine SE would put themselves in that position again...

But hey, sure they could?

I doubt SE is suddenly fold after they announce that DQ7 and 8 are coming out west for 3ds.

He knows it's either in progress, finished, nearly finished or that SE WILL do it for him because of who he is.

This is 100% nail on the head. He doesn't just drop something like that with a shrug and a whim in ignorance. He's Yuji-freaking-Horii-san. If he says it's coming in French, A) it is, and B) it's not only going to be in French. Ergo, English is at least also a given.

Be happy, people. Be happy.  The looooooooong wait for the official word is almost over!

• Upvote 2

He knows it's either in progress, finished, nearly finished or that SE WILL do it for him because of who he is.

This is 100% nail on the head. He doesn't just drop something like that with a shrug and a whim in ignorance. He's Yuji-freaking-Horii-san. If he says it's coming in French, A) it is, and B) it's not only going to be in French. Ergo, English is at least also a given.

Be happy, people. Be happy.  The looooooooong wait for the official word is almost over!

That's the thing of all people he ought to know what is going on with that franchise.

Read a different translation of what was said.

"At the end of the DQ stage, Yuji Horii said 'I want to announce one thing. I want to release Dragon Quest VII and VIII for 3DS in France!', to which DQ producer Ryota Aomi replied: 'Wait! There is no official announcement yet!'"

Very different meaning. That is just him saying he wants to do it, not that it will happen. Still, its curious. Maybe his way of rocking the boat and forcing square enixes hand?

He's said he wants to release it here a few times, so has SE.

The thing is, "one more thing" announcements don't typically discuss wants, but rather, what will.

What website did you read that translation from?

Famitsu

Read a different translation of what was said.

"At the end of the DQ stage, Yuji Horii said 'I want to announce one thing. I want to release Dragon Quest VII and VIII for 3DS in France!', to which DQ producer Ryota Aomi replied: 'Wait! There is no official announcement yet!'"

Very different meaning. That is just him saying he wants to do it, not that it will happen. Still, its curious. Maybe his way of rocking the boat and forcing square enixes hand?

But yet sites are reporting that it's going to happen. 

Precisely, verification of a statement that Horii was basically letting fans know the plans are already in the works.  I think it's Horii understanding fan frustrations.

I don't think most of us really realize or grasp yet the enormity of DQ7.  Then there's the fact that DQ7 itself has likely been worked on sporadically, in between projects, and likely in part because it's so huge, and in part because whatever team or teams are working on it, they have to maintain that current DQ consistency, which is a LOT more work than a simple translation.  On top of that, the teams are likely to be much much smaller than the original, and they will be required to account for all descriptions, and grammar...and all kinds of other elements like font size, type, and beta testing in between, and most likely because of the sheer magnitude of DQ7 itself.

This is the real crux of it. It's not *just* translating text - it's doing it all in a consistent, high quality, 'Dragon Quest-y' way that would be so hard. Not the literal stuff, but the artistic stuff.

It's just that I haven't waited and speculated on a game this much and for this long since I was a kid (a loooong time ago).  I was already resigned to the fact that it wasn't coming and I just can't get my hopes up completely until something solid comes.

It's just that I haven't waited and speculated on a game this much and for this long since I was a kid (a loooong time ago).  I was already resigned to the fact that it wasn't coming and I just can't get my hopes up completely until something solid comes.

Its fair to be cautious.  It can still suddenly not happen due to some unforeseen problem.

Its fair to be cautious.  It can still suddenly not happen due to some unforeseen problem.

Certainly true. And there's the possibility that Horii said "I'd like it to be translated in French" not literally "it IS being translated in French." As this was a French audience, it would make sense to play to them.

BUT, even if that's the case, I'm pretty damn sure - of ALL people at Square Enix who carry weight - what HORII-san wants, Horii-san gets.

Certainly true. And there's the possibility that Horii said "I'd like it to be translated in French" not literally "it IS being translated in French." As this was a French audience, it would make sense to play to them.

BUT, even if that's the case, I'm pretty damn sure - of ALL people at Square Enix who carry weight - what HORII-san wants, Horii-san gets.

There's the issue its being reported that he said that 7 and 8 for 3ds is coming out west. 

Also, do the translations of this remark speak specifically to the 3DS in general? I know the DQ8 thing would certainly be (unless they're re-releasing DQ8 onto mobile, which seems unlikely at this point), but the DQ7 thing could also be referring to mobile.

I have no problem with the DQ games on mobile, but my personal $ would be on 3DS, and then using that translation on the mobile version later on. It;s because of these things that SE should do them. The Zenithia trilogy mobile games were basically easy money because the money to localize them _had already been spent._ Having them already translated kind of "future proofs" the games. It's like transferring a show or movie onto a 4k restoration. It may not be RELEASED - for awhile - but it's ready to be since the effort was already taken. They can get multiple releases out of just about ANY DQ localization these days, and DQ7 is the only DQ left without a 'modern' 'continuity' localization. DQ1-3 on mobile, DQ4-6 on DS and mobile, DQ9 on DS (AND, in my opinion, a very likely candidate for mobile in the future...) and DQ8 on PS2 and mobile. DQ8 will be an easy localization job for the sames reasons the Mobile Zenithia games were. DQ7 is the only one left.

Edited by Omegaplex

A member over at Siliconera also posted this...

He (the translator) got upset because the announcement wasn't on the script.

At the end of the event, the translator asked for a final word from Horii, and Horii told that Dragon Quest 7 and 8 were coming on 3DS in French.
The translator looked at his script and saw it wasn't in it, told Horii that the announcement wasn't for today.
Everyone was cheering !!
And Horii had a big smile like a child that was pride of his prank.

The Translator is an independant and I was at the Square Enix Event at the Japan Expo.

Who knows if that's true, but the comment about Horii's huge grin really legitimizes it to me, because that's totally Horii if he knew he was dropping a bomb without permission!

Edited by Omegaplex

At the end of the event, the translator asked for a final word from Horii, and Horii told that Dragon Quest 7 and 8 were coming on 3DS in French.

The translator looked at his script and saw it wasn't in it, told Horii that the announcement wasn't for today.

Everyone was cheering !!

The Translator is an independant and I was at the Square Enix Event at the Japan Expo.

Who knows if that's true, but the comment about Horii's huge grin really legitimizes it to me, because that's totally Horii if he knew he was dropping a bomb without permission!

Only way to confirm what he actually said is we need to hear audio of it.

Plus consider this - this is possibly the best way the game could be announced. On EVERY website with this article, the comments sections are going crazy with excitement!

This is A) great viral marketing, and B) makes Yuji Horii a hero in the process! I mean, who can deny "Horii is da MAN!" now??

I'm not suggesting this was an intentional viral marketing drop - which it could have been - but Square Enix is still pretty stodgy about their traditional business models and such, so I doubt it.

But it would be genius if it WAS intentional, and even if it wasn't... this works hugely in Square Enix's favor IMO. Plus western stocks in Yuji Horii just skyrocketed, too. He's always been a bit of a behind-the-scenes guy - at least, to Western audiences (he probably does Japanese interviews and public appearances constantly over there, but he doesn't get much translated English time out this way) - but this puts him up front like other notable Japanese game developers who speak up for themselves.

Edited by Omegaplex

We'll eventually see.

I for one say the wrong thing daily. I tell my classes one thing and someone else another. I call my son the dog's name.

Maybe Horii meant to say he wants them in French or will work to get them in French.

Or maybe he meant exactly what was said.

Only time will tell.

Everyone was cheering !!

If this is true than that would be more proof that its is being done and Horii just dropped the announcement before Square wanted and the translator got mad because it wasn't on the script and that Square wasn't ready for the announcement to come out yet.

As opposed to the other prevailing theory that this Horii's way of trying to force Squares hand into localizing the games because he knows the fans want it and he might be sick about how Square has been on the fence about it for 2 years.

I for one am of the opinion that it is in fact coming and he just leaked the announcement before its Square wanted it to be known.Let this please be true and it if is I can see an announcement being made some point prior to DQ Heroes  Western Release in October because if they don't that could hurt the sales of the game if pretty much every gamer on the internet who checks almost any gaming media website will know the situation and who wants to buy a game in a franchise and perhaps becoming invested in franchise whose publisher treats the series western fan base with indifference  I had no hope after E3 went by and nothing was announced and even then that was a very faint hope but I feel a lot more hopefully after this leak in Paris.

What's the max limit of storage for a 3ds cart?  Does it even have one?  I remember the old DS carts had one.

1 GB all the way up to 8 GB. http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24569/3ds-cartridges-could-store-up-to-8gb