Dragon Quest VII and VIII 3D to west maybe?

There was an entire Operation named after falling rain about three games that were translated into English and weren't coming out. What was it called again?

They did eventually come but after a significantly long time and at the end of the console's lifetime.

Edited by eal
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is 100% nail on the head. He doesn't just drop something like that with a shrug and a whim in ignorance. He's Yuji-freaking-Horii-san. If he says it's coming in French, A) it is, and B) it's not

If i was SE i would do a combo pack of both 7 and 8 as a single release.  There isn't much that needs to be done for DQ8 3ds out west other than some translations and voice acting recording of the new

Remember that Horii holds a very unique position of power within the company. Anything and everything requires his stamp of approval, so he's your best source. Journalists, stop being dicks on Twitter

Read a different translation of what was said.

"At the end of the DQ stage, Yuji Horii said 'I want to announce one thing. I want to release Dragon Quest VII and VIII for 3DS in France!', to which DQ producer Ryota Aomi replied: 'Wait! There is no official announcement yet!'"

Very different meaning. That is just him saying he wants to do it, not that it will happen. Still, its curious. Maybe his way of rocking the boat and forcing square enixes hand?

"At the end of the DQ stage, Yuji Horii said 'I want to announce one thing. I want to release Dragon Quest VII and VIII for 3DS in France!', to which DQ producer Ryota Aomi replied: 'Wait! There is no official announcement yet!'"

Very different meaning. That is just him saying he wants to do it, not that it will happen. Still, its curious. Maybe his way of rocking the boat and forcing square enixes hand?

He's said he wants to release it here a few times, so has SE.

The thing is, "one more thing" announcements don't typically discuss wants, but rather, what will.

What website did you read that translation from?

Famitsu

But yet sites are reporting that it's going to happen. 

The thing is, "one more thing" announcements don't typically discuss wants, but rather, what will.

That's the Famitsu statement.

There's never been any official transcript of that particular part.  I wonder if someone can find a copy of the interview, maybe a soundbyte if at all possible.

It could be accurate, but whether it is or isn't, the "yet" part from the producer Aomi is quite telling.  Yet could be him attempting to cover his ass and SE, but I don't think so, as it's typically used to infer an agreement that what's been said is already set in motion, regardless of the statement, just the timing of the announcement was not planned.

Famitsu

But yet sites are reporting that it's going to happen. 

Precisely, verification of a statement that Horii was basically letting fans know the plans are already in the works.  I think it's Horii understanding fan frustrations.

I don't think most of us really realize or grasp yet the enormity of DQ7.  Then there's the fact that DQ7 itself has likely been worked on sporadically, in between projects, and likely in part because it's so huge, and in part because whatever team or teams are working on it, they have to maintain that current DQ consistency, which is a LOT more work than a simple translation.  On top of that, the teams are likely to be much much smaller than the original, and they will be required to account for all descriptions, and grammar...and all kinds of other elements like font size, type, and beta testing in between, and most likely because of the sheer magnitude of DQ7 itself.

This is not a project they would start now.  It would be 2 years in the making to do in the current style.  It would have to have been started when Aeana and Shocking Alberto stated it was started...while BD was being worked on.  They both confirmed DQ7 was not just greenlighted, at that time, but WAS in fact being worked on, but that BD would be released first.  Meaning if they shared resources, it was a back and forth kind of thing, and DQ7's sheer size comparatively meant BD would have to have been released first.  So if they were working on it then, and considering the magnitude, and the original release, and the likely timeline built around all required elements to make DQ7 fit within the current structure, this thing is possibly still ongoing, but is near completion.

If they were going to have to start this now...no, I don't think we would have a chance of seeing it, not on mobile, not on the 3DS.  There is NO possible way they would allocate resources now.  They would have told us it's not coming, as the timeline is just too great, and we'd already be in the death throws of the 3DS upon release.  They would need this to be within the window where the 3DS is still king of handheld gaming, and still has a name, not for fans, but for newbies.

Unless it's something really big, IGN and Gamespot don't really report much news over the weekend.  But yeah, they aren't the fastest, either.  Siliconera is my go-to site for news.

There's no way its just coming in French.  There are infinitely more English speakers who will buy this game than French ones.  They'd be shooting themselves in the foot.  Its coming to Paris games week which means its getting localized finally.

Why in God's green earth do any of you think Nintendo would handle the localization and announce it in a direct? 

It baffles me.

Square-Enix will handle the localization. And if we're -really really- lucky, Nintendo will announce it. But I doubt it.

Why in God's green earth do any of you think Nintendo would handle the localization and announce it in a direct? 

It baffles me.

Square-Enix will handle the localization. And if we're -really really- lucky, Nintendo will announce it. But I doubt it.

1) Nintendo had promised to release Dragon Quest games on Nintendo systems.  They screwed up with 6 and Joker, though that might be more S-E's fault, but we don't know what went on behind the scenes.  However, Nintendo never reniged or made any statements indicating they're no longer interested.

2) BD and DQ7 were confirmed by more than one insider (3 to be exact, 2 early on, 1 later), as being both greenlighted and being worked on BY both parties, with Nintendo handling the releases.  BD was to be released first, but the statement was pretty clear that the translations for both had already begun.  No renig on those statements were ever made.  BD was announced as being released by Nintendo shortly after this.  BD was released first, by Nintendo, maintaining consistency with this initial statement.

3) One of the three, the 3rd and late to the party insider, claimed that BD2 and DQ7 were being worked on, and DQ7 was being continued intermittently between various other games.  Nintendo and SE were handling both, with Nintendo doing the publishing of BD2.  BD2 was later announced as being by Nintendo shortly after.  See a pattern yet?

4) Nintendo tweets about DQ back in 2013, during Christmas.  Around the time everyone was anticipating some announcement for DQ7.  Reggie does not tweet randomly...this was, regardless of your position, a planned tweet, and a hint.  They wanted to keep DQ in the lexicon of gamer speak, likely knowing that the sheer size, and the that due to it being done intermittently by a team that was working on other titles, would take a long time, and fans were likely getting anxious.

5) Nintendo's second in command of PR does a series of co-ordinated tweets with both other Nintendo employees and a member of the press.  They ascribe certain specific hashtags, all concerning slimes and DQ.  This is not something random.  This is a planned event, whether you want to believe it or not.  This is yet another reminder, much like Reggie's tweet, that Nintendo and DQ are still an ongoing thing.  This is not speculation either.  The manner in how this was handled is indicative of it.  Afterall they never mentioned any specific DQ, and nothing like that has happened before or since.  That was a reminder, a teaser, pure and simple, at last of DQ in general, and in relation to Nintendo.

The rest is speculation concerning Nintendo's strange e3.  Both the conference, which has never been half-assed, but was clearly half-assed this time, almost as though they had other elements they were supposed to showcase, but something happened.  Hard to say if this is really true, but their hype pre-show, is indicative it is.  Then the first e3 treehouse was edited on the spot, a first, and clearly had to showcase already seen and already discussed and already known video and details about games that were well established in the press previous to e3.  This is unheard of with Nintendo, and not seen in any of their other treehouse episodes.  Meaning they were supposed to have content ready to go, but something was missing.

The obvious and absolute is that Nintendo really did have extra stuff they were supposed to show, but something happened, and it wasn't present, forcing them to alter those two events, and look like total asses.  The speculation, on my own part, is that a DQ might have been present, but it could well have been a number of different games that are in the works for the 3DS, WiiU, and New 3ds...maybe even some of them were cancelled and postponed for the NX?  I don't know.  We'll probably never find out.

It baffles me.

I think it's more likely that SE will localize it at this point in time, but I don't understand why you seem so certain that Nintendo won't.  Do you know something I don't know?  I don't have all the details; I'm really just asking.

It baffles me.

Even if it is a Square Enix only venture, they do talk about 3rd party games in Directs too sometimes...

To add more fuel to the fire:

http://imgur.com/2zc8C8v

http://imgur.com/DNSeWz5

Hopefully the next Direct soon. With Zelda footage and Dragon Quest localization news.

Interesting. I think that (albeit funny).

And this

http://gonintendo.com/stories/237878-square-enix-recognizes-interest-in-dragon-quest-localizations-te

Now I'm dropped down to about 20% sure. I'm not confident. At all.

Hopefully the next Direct soon. With Zelda footage and Dragon Quest localization news.

And this

http://gonintendo.com/stories/237878-square-enix-recognizes-interest-in-dragon-quest-localizations-te

How in the world do you get "its not likely DQ7 3ds will come out west from that"  Its a general comment on localizations of games.  

And this

How in the world do you get "its not likely DQ7 3ds will come out west from that" Its a general comment on localizations of games.

I thought Horii spoke out of turn and not with 100% accuracy that the projects are greenlit yet. This seems to confirm it. You are free to feel whatever you want. I just don't think it's coming, and now they're already trying to cover Horii's comments. My 2 cents. I hope I'm wrong. I've never believed DQVII was coming. Others always thought it was. We each have comments to support our belief now.

If they're covering Horii's words, it shows us this.

Horii knows we want it and would like SE to localize the titles for us. The West.

SE's translator hears this and goes "OSHIT WTF NO."

• Upvote 1

I've got to say that I'm getting really tired of hearing the "we know you guys want it, but it takes a lot to translate" thing.  I mean, they act like they've never localized a game before and to do so would be venturing into unknown territory.  Yeah, this is getting really old.

I think Horii has put SE in a very very tight spot if by chance SE is still "considering" rather to localize Dq7 and DQ8 out west for 3ds.   It would be improper and disrespect to horii for SE to come out and say he's wrong and its not happening.

Horii has to know something to where he would make such a comment and as its been mentione don here you just don't make reveal (planned or not planned) unless something is already in the works.

You just don't have the announcement saying its coming then actually start working on it as if they done nothing prior to the announcement.

It's a perfectly legitimate reason. XSeed ran into it when trying to localize the Trails in the Sky series. It was/is a massive undertaking and years later they're only just getting the second game out the door because translating it is such a large undertaking that making it a primary focus over other potential releases would, according to them, threaten to put them out of business, because it is a game that requires a lot of effort for little gain. I can hate on Square Enix for a lot of things, but being apprehensive about a project like Dragon Quest VII is not one of those things I can really blame them for.

Xseed is a tiny company and SE is a powerhouse that has been localizing RPGs for over 25 years.  I'm not saying it's not a huge job, but they've got the manpower and have certainly done many projects that are in the same ballpark.  I'm just getting tired of the back and forth.  If something isn't decided now, the 3ds will lose relevancy.